Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pastry of the Year posted:

(MAD #198, April 1978)

K O O D G E

EDIT: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
KOODGE

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

There is no way I'll ever see or hear "external combustion" without "KOODGE" immediately entering my head.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A cab has not been called

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ManiacClown posted:

There is no way I'll ever see or hear "external combustion" without "KOODGE" immediately entering my head.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pastry of the Year posted:

(MAD #198, April 1978)

Still one of my favorite Achewood strips

ManiacClown posted:

Same, also KOODGE gang tag when?

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Still one of my favorite Achewood strips

Same, also KOODGE gang tag when?
KOODGE 4 lyfe

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Messing around on that ChatGPT thing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Tiny Cat is my favorite Achewood character. He's very small so he doesn't show up a lot but he's there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

Messing around on that ChatGPT thing.

Tina: doing a :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

davidspackage posted:

7 AM: Tina does a :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Jesus Ray what did Tina do to you man

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'M SORRY DR. KISSES
I'M SO SO SORRY
OH I WILL LOVE YOU
FOREVER DR. KISSES
PLEASE FORGIVE ME

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
oh my god this is so hard

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Look, it's simple: If you dis my dog, then you fluff my hog.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

jokingly put a thing about finally getting my 2009 achewood cookbook 2 that never happened in the order notes when ordering the new one as I had written off that $18 a decade ago and got an email minutes later, jeez

then I noticed this at the bottom of the store page for it and now I feel real bad 😬

quote:

A personal note: This book was originally intended for release in 2010, but the whisker's width of a near-fatal ending to the "drinking chapter" of my life led to its agonizing and haunting postponement. Its appearance here, and at this level of quality, is a deeply healing personal victory. If you were disappointed by the slow-motion crash-and-burn of the first attempted release, I sincerely apologize. But you will like this version much, much better, as I no longer use vodka to move my pen around.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I didn’t think that chubby cats could cure their diabetes but here we are at the tail end of 2022 and onstad is making whole on decade-old reneges :unsmith:. I now wonder if the dark horse stuff might actually come out

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm not sure how I never thought there was probably an achewood thread here. This comic is, as a certain podcast has reminded me, brain tape since young times.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Achewood is one of those things where you just meet somebody and become close friends for years and then one day you finally have the “oh so you’ve been reading this comic for years too” conversation and in hindsight it’s so obvious

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Onstad's drinking is why the 2nd cookbook got... delayed? I mean, we all had our assumptions but this is the first confirmation I've heard from him about it. I am glad that he no longer uses vodka to move his pen around.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's good that Onstad is a little more afraid of the police these days.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Maybe now that we have Cookbook 2 we can find out who ate Ray's dang nachos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Onstad answered that question in a Q&A strip long ago. It was Todd. Todd ate Ray's dang nachos.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Happy Hippo posted:

Onstad's drinking is why the 2nd cookbook got... delayed? I mean, we all had our assumptions but this is the first confirmation I've heard from him about it. I am glad that he no longer uses vodka to move his pen around.
I get the feeling that the sustained productive period of Achewood was fueled by the liquor, and that Onstad can't run that rocket dry except irregularly. And if he kept drinking, he would die.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

I get the feeling that the sustained productive period of Achewood was fueled by the liquor, and that Onstad can't run that rocket dry except irregularly. And if he kept drinking, he would die.

That’s a big oversimplification of a dude’s life

Onstad started Achewood in his mid-late 20s (born in 1975), he got married, his wife helped him run the site and do merch/etc, they had a kid around 2005, and they just tried to make the “online content creator” life work for their family a decade before Patreon or Kickstarter or any of the services, systems, and norms in place for sustaining that kind of business today.

That meant moving a fuckton of merch, getting donations from especially dedicated fans, constantly struggling and being under stress financially, and—in Chris’ case—it meant working pretty much around the clock 24/7 in order to keep the comic updating as frequently as it was (Achewood at its best is not a comic that you can just poo poo out quickly) along with all the blogs, books, and other meta-content that kept people coming back.

By his account, the drinking and other issues with poor health grew out of that period, where he and his then-wife were just never not working.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I wish Onstad would post here again. I think that most folks that were mad about that cookbook are over it and/or gone

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm vaguely remembering him talking in an interview once about feeling as though he had to continue living in Silicon Valley and burning through $100,000 a year in rent just to barely be housed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

Onstad answered that question in a Q&A strip long ago. It was Todd. Todd ate Ray's dang nachos.

That crappy little bullshit man! :mad:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I’ve only dug through the cookbook a little bit but all the character forwards kind of point to Teodor being too drunk/unreliable to contribute which is why he doesn’t have any recipes in it

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Teodor is indeed a ditherer

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Teodor has never been honest with himself.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Folding with a focus and intensity normally only seen in successes

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Truly the Cal Ripken of not making rent.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Teodor is playing his guitar into a computer website about meeting girls. His door is cracked a little. A lot of the guys in the house are sad for him.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Lyle is watching a parents' video called "Dumb Thick Trick." That is his Decision. God says we should not have opinions, but I can tell that He also wouldn't want us to have This video.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Lyle is watching a parents' video called "Dumb Thick Trick." That is his Decision. God says we should not have opinions, but I can tell that He also wouldn't want us to have This video.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

applesauce

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Superman's having a really bad day, okay!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jerusalem posted:

Superman's having a really bad day, okay!

Superman wouldn't wear a police hat in the shower! Applesauce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1602267111279267840

WHERE ITS ALWAYS TIME FOR PLAIN BLACK SOCKS