Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Fully upper class people are generational wealth. They've never had to work or known any of the generations above them to work. They just have money and their job is to own things and sometimes that's just a pile of cash that gives them interest through investments, sometimes it's land, but probably somebody else deals with all of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah as I recall he does plot the shift from aristocracy to bourgeoisie as the dominant class in society, like that's part of the entire rise of liberalism and the political power of what we understand today as capital owners. Aristocracy is still sort of relevant, I would argue, in the UK especially as it forms one network of power that allows you access to monetary capital or institutional power just because of your familial history and connections.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just watching this 2018 (in the Before Times) documentary on PBS America about the Spanish Flu (100 years anniversary) and how we will learn lessons from it... ahem.
One of the interviewees saying how weird it is seeing film from that time with everyone wearing masks.
Public hygiene plans aha aha.

They're most worried about Bird Flu in this doc.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/taxbod/status/1602325070810157058

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Niggle Farridge, pictured earlier today

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1602380517474713602?t=4RSIaiptiC88zkbun4TQfg&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
We need to stretch ourselves to deal with the times. It's a good time for introspection.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

WhatEvil posted:

I haven't actually read any Marx

new thread title i reckon

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/kadhim/status/1602447895453638656?s=46&t=-frTKe1zp-rsy8u-MaZcfQ

lol, dude gave a bunch of media interviews confessing to gigafraud and then sat around waiting for the FBI to cart him away. I know crypto attracts particularly stupid crooks, but he has to be the new world record holder.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's not mycrimes.txt yet but it's getting there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/kadhim/status/1602447895453638656?s=46&t=-frTKe1zp-rsy8u-MaZcfQ

lol, dude gave a bunch of media interviews confessing to gigafraud and then sat around waiting for the FBI to cart him away. I know crypto attracts particularly stupid crooks, but he has to be the new world record holder.

I honestly expected him to get away scot-free. So that's nice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Initially parsed it as a guy called sam bankman (death stranding character) got fried and then arrested.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

It's not mycrimes.txt yet but it's getting there.

You were saying?

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1602435708748107776?s=46&t=ufmwnnF8Lm-EvEO-n9srOA

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

never underestimate bitcoin

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kindof embarrassing to requote Farage but I was going to spend Christmas with my family in the Czech Republic and after all the available flights were cancelled till Sunday I had to get a last-minute eurostar ticket (took like 10 attempts) and am now posting from a cheap hotel in Paris, where airports seemingly give zero efs about a bit of snow.

I'd skip the hotel but apparently they won't allow overnight stays at the airport if you're not transferring.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 13, 2022

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
love to see some balanced coverage from the BBC, whos director general recently clarified that there was no issue with tory staffers being hired ofr senior roles, while admitting that the organisation has a left-wing bias

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GoodLawProject/status/1602308753793196032

lol and lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They really can grift from every loving angle.

My wife's flights to London have been cancelled 2 days in a row so I guess uhh London just is no longer an international city when it gets cold? Solid stuff

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darth Walrus posted:

technically it's the bahamas police that put him in the cart, but yes, i have been wondering how these people remember to breathe

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
My wife & I are having our first long vacation (two weeks back with my family in Canada) since getting a cat, and I have to ask:

How do people cope? 😭 Feel like we're abandoning her. We've got a local pet sitter coming in 2x a day to feed her, the neighbours have agreed to stop in every night to play with her, and one of my wife's colleagues is going to come live & work from the house 18-21st and 23-27th...

But we still feel like we're doing something awful leaving her here like this. We spend so much time together, worried she'll get lonely without at least one of us here.

Going to just get on with it, 2 weeks is a short time and everything will be fine. But still feels like the height of cruelty to not be able to tell her what's happening 😆

Cat tax: her right now, curled up on our bed, where she likes to sleep if we're in it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just left our dog for 3 weeks while we were away getting married and whatnot, she had a great time and was delighted to see us when we came back, making very intense chirping noises. Cats tend to be even less bothered

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
my cats handle two weeks on a regular basis with no catsitters, your baby will be fine

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

my cats handle two weeks on a regular basis with no catsitters, your baby will be fine

Does someone feed them at least?

I felt terrible leaving our kitty alone for a couple of days recently as she is very clingy and needy. We opted to do so though as it would probably be less stressful for her than being boarded.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I think it helps if its cats rather than a cat. A cat will probably get lonely if you live them alone for a period of time but cats have each other's company.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Kindof embarrassing to requote Farage but I was going to spend Christmas with my family in the Czech Republic and after all the available flights were cancelled till Sunday I had to get a last-minute eurostar ticket (took like 10 attempts) and am now posting from a cheap hotel in Paris, where airports seemingly give zero efs about a bit of snow.

The part that annoyed me yesterday is that I was making plans for how to travel 4 days beforehand, on Thursday, which is when the forecast came in.
That a bunch of different agencies just sort of sat around shrugging at each other for more than half a week is a pathetic state of affairs. Particularly so given there were no such issues with roads or pavements in the City of London; so it is possible to deal with snow.

I ended up getting kicked off my train on the way home yesterday so that a priority service could make up some time. This would be a dick move at the best of times, but to finally get to my station half an hour late and find that - 10 hours after I went to work - they still hadn't bothered sending someone with a shovel to clear any of the snow/slush/ice off the platform or the ramp down to the street really got my back up.

It's not that this stuff is hard to do; it's that agencies/companies decide that there are minimal/no consequences for not doing their job, so why waste money doing it?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's so incredibly shortsighted an approach. It's like if I sat back for one project at work I imagine I'd get away with it, folks might excuse it or think of it as varying performance - but in doing so I spend a bit of goodwill. Make a habit of it and folks won't continue to excuse it, they'll just think I'm poo poo at my job. As is happening with so many things now, due to government/organisations thinking they can cut corners and keep getting away with it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Honestly, your cat won't give a poo poo. She'll be pleased when you're home, but honestly they're not that smart even if you think they are. As long as they're warm and fed and have somewhere appropriate to take a poo poo, their needs are met.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MrPaulRobinson/status/1602572404273856513

:allears:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

He was playing League of Legends during one of his investment meetings. Those investors gave him over $200m.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Interrupting you not answering the question" is an amazing way to describe someone talking incessantly.

Also yeah lmao, we all get all of december off, says the man who has never worked a day in his life.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 13, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If Richard Madeley could get a show where he just interviewed himself he'd absolutely do it

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

"Interrupting you not answering the question" is an amazing way to describe someone talking incessantly.

Also yeah lmao, we all get all of december off, says the man who has never worked a day in his life.

This is why No-one Wants To Work Anymore - the entire tail end of the year is taken up with War Christmas and then straight into Commercial Christmas. It's hard to get a clear day's work in

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want to know what it's like having a conversation with my maga fash dad then that interview was it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Perfect Element posted:

Honestly, your cat won't give a poo poo. She'll be pleased when you're home, but honestly they're not that smart even if you think they are. As long as they're warm and fed and have somewhere appropriate to take a poo poo, their needs are met.

Your cat will spend 2 minutes wondering where their pet human has gone before getting distracted by a cozy blanket

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Archaeology Hat posted:

I think it helps if its cats rather than a cat. A cat will probably get lonely if you live them alone for a period of time but cats have each other's company.

Cats are solitary creatures, they won't get lonely. You can get an automated cat feeder to save you on catsitter bills.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 13, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

learnincurve posted:

If you want to know what it's like having a conversation with my maga fash dad then that interview was it

my fash dad too

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I had to move out of my old flat for 4 weeks due to renovations and sent my cat to live with a friend. When I visited him after 3 weeks, he treated me like a total stranger, wouldn't come anywhere near me, and was just transfixed on making a nest between my friend's huge breasts.

When finally picked him up to take him back home, he cried for a good hour or so, then completely forgot about my friend.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He was playing League of Legends during one of his investment meetings. Those investors gave him over $200m.

And he's not even good at it. He's in bronze tier which is not only bad, but also worse than AOC (who is also bad).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I had to move out of my old flat for 4 weeks due to renovations and sent my cat to live with a friend. When I visited him after 3 weeks, he treated me like a total stranger, wouldn't come anywhere near me, and was just transfixed on making a nest between my friend's huge breasts.

Aw, they're just like little people, aren't they?