Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have they put any more work into how the controller works for the game? At launch the controller "worked" but it felt like it could use more work to make things flow better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What would someone suggest I use if I loooooove the Porcupine?

Or can I just keep upgrading that and upping my club skill?

Yeah if porcupine is your thing just keep rolling clubs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarcusSA posted:

Have they put any more work into how the controller works for the game? At launch the controller "worked" but it felt like it could use more work to make things flow better.

I've been playing this on my steam deck exclusively and it's been fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've been playing this on my steam deck exclusively and it's been fine.

OK fair enough that's pretty much why I was asking lol

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

What would someone suggest I use if I loooooove the Porcupine?

Or can I just keep upgrading that and upping my club skill?

I mean... I haven't hit a wall with that strategy myself, but I also haven't done much with the new update.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Washin Tong posted:

So I started a new server for the update, currently in troll armor and bronze/iron. Still I went to the new biome

After being VERY cautious I found a coastal tower full of friendly dwarves, Munin tells me they're cool but not to piss them off. Alright.

So uh I :airquote: accidentally :airquote: pushed one of the wizards into the deck of my longship, oops. He's now on the way to be the new dwarven ambassador of the Meadows.

Will report later as soon as we get there.

My, he's a chatty fellow

Update: They're really attached to their spawn point apparently, the guy took advantage of a big wave and yeeted himself off the ship, then proceeded to Galadriel all the way back home. I hope he makes it.

Update on this: Tried a second time, brought another kidnapped wizard home, he again proceeded to not stay loving put. I wouldn't let all my transport efforts go to waste, so I just went 'gently caress it', admined up and spawned dvergerwizardfire at our base. This one had no home to go back to, so he stuck around. I called all my friends to meet our new stalwart garden defender.

After about 30 seconds of ooooohs and aaaahs some random greyling wandered in. For our new friend, Bobi the Wizard, this would not stand. Cue the GLORIOUS STORMS OF DEATH AND FIRE, followed by our resident builder guy screaming OH MY GOD GET HIM OUT, GET HIM OUT NOW. So yeah a bunch of farms, our cartography table and a pointless but very pretty bridge sort of burned to the ground. But all in all I call hits a huge win for diplomacy and viking-dvergr relations. The end.

E: Bobi the Dwarf died to a troll.

E2: vvvv He faffed around a lot instead of just spamming attacks. The troll might be relatively weaker but he constantly attacks without stopping. RIP

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 12, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

He died to a troll?! I thought they were WAY stronger than that.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm rejoining for Mistlands and realize I've basically forgotten how to play since binging the game in the first two weeks.

How long would it take me from starting fresh to get to the new content if I bring a pickaxe and the weight belt?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think it depends on how big you like to build, what tiers you're willing to skip, etc.

I go to troll armor, root helmet and skip to padded armor from there. Silver is for frostner/draugr fang and wolf cape. That's maybe two or three full silver veins.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm rejoining for Mistlands and realize I've basically forgotten how to play since binging the game in the first two weeks.

How long would it take me from starting fresh to get to the new content if I bring a pickaxe and the weight belt?

I've been playing for a few hours and I have got a half set of troll armor and a finewood bow. I'm not skipping bronze pickaxe stuff, but I'm also not building like I used to. My meadows "base" was a repaired existing building and I'm going to go find a good black forest location soonish and go through it as fast as I can, but if you skip bronze weapons you're probably really quick there, too. And since you have a bow, at most you'd want a bronze mace for skeletons if you don't use stagbreaker.

But not doing things like more elaborate builds, taming boars in the meadow, etc help a lot. All you really need it 10 fine wood from either crashing trees into other trees or a helpful troll, and then you're fairly set for hunting trolls etc. More is nicer for upgrades, but once you're over that hurdle you can go pretty quick I think.

Burns
May 10, 2008

According to steam charts the update made active player numbers jump by 82%. Thats quite impressive. Likely has to also do with it being on sale.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

About a month or so ago, I was thinking about all of the games I'd like to pick up during the upcoming winter Steam sale, but since getting Valheim, I doubt I'd end up playing many of them until months and months afterwards.

If I played this game solo, I might be almost done with it but because I'm playing with my wife and two friends, almost nightly as sort of a hangout, we've got plans, man... building plans.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I usually end up building very large squares/rectangles though I have a default for the meadows. 5x5 A-frame (prefer 45 but 26 works too) with the center square being the cookpit/chimney. Corners are storage, bed, workbench, forge. A single portal can fit along one wall and comfort items along the other without any difficulty.

Doing two story out of just stone (including floors) can be a little tricky too but I have managed it. I usually end up doing a basement and first floor of stone and then upper floors are core wood/wood.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Aw poo poo. I had started a black forest base and found the trader, when about 20 minutes of sailing later I found a much, much better location (near both huge swamp and forest so much easier to double dip on base building) that also happens to have been near a much easier to access trader, too. I know that once I get portals up that becomes a non-issue but until then it sucks.

(I ended up looking up my seed just to make sure I had Moder in my map and found the trader alt site.)

At least I hope my new base site works!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Playing on a dedicated server that's a mix of new and returning players, we're long since stalled out on the swamp boss while the new players get the hang of the black forest and swamp experience. Currently I don't do much more than babysit or log in to help retrieve bodies, but I'm perfectly okay with that. Tonight I did slip into a mountain biome to remind myself how much I hate fliers.

For us it's also a chat room and excuse to chill on voice while someone either builds, explores, or one of the later starts gather resources as we answer any questions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah this game is perfect for hanging out with our friends. It's so good for that, even if we're not preparing to do something big, like killing yagluth. We prepped for so long, and only had one death during the fight (which was me, stupidly getting his by his meteors).

This game is both intense and chill, it's weird that way.

I remember we were so afraid of the plains from what our friends told us about it (they've played through before, but rolled new characters to play alongside me and my wife). We got there, and while it started as very dangerous, we've gotten it down to lox and deathsquitos not being much of a danger, and most fulings being nothing to worry about.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 13, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I swear to god Bonemass power is never going to be topped for overall survivability. The Mistlands is basically Not Scary when you've got Bonemass up unless you REALLY get swarmed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

I swear to god Bonemass power is never going to be topped for overall survivability. The Mistlands is basically Not Scary when you've got Bonemass up unless you REALLY get swarmed.

Yeah, I tried out Yagluth's power, but nah, gotta get back to Bonemass.

Burns
May 10, 2008

pik_d posted:

This 100%. I have fought a seeker soldier, a 1 star seeker and seeker at the same time and singlehandedly yesterday. Bonemass is also good for dealing with the stone golems.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah Bonemass rules. Our routine for clearing out Bad Places is to crack bonemass and just blitz through before it wears off.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have got to be better about keeping my portal names up to date. Hopped into an unlabeled portal with second tier food while doing some other stuff and literally as I did it I remembered that my unlabeled portal goes to the mistlands right now and not my base. It's a dungeon that I had cleared out for black marble and there was a grall just camping literally plugging the exit with his body.

Tried hopping into the portal but I'd accidentally picked up some metal when I spawned in and then tried to make it into the cleared dungeon but got zapped just beforehand and the last thing I saw was my portal getting destroyed. I'm going to have the track through a ton of Mistland With second tier gear to get my poo poo back and I'm probably going to have to fight that monster unless I get lucky and it despawns. Ugh. Think I'm going to putz around the base a little bit beforehand cuz none of that sounds appealing right now.

It's not just annoying because it's an unforced error, It's also annoying because I had intended to clear all that poo poo up and carry it back to my base in that environment ages ago and now it's just another step.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If two people use Bonemass at the same time (or at least one uses it while already under the effect from a previous usage), is the timer doubled, the effect doubled, or neither, and it just overlaps with no benefit?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

It would refresh the timer on the buff but nothing more. It makes you resistant to the physical damage types, which is a binary thing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sixto Lezcano posted:

It would refresh the timer on the buff but nothing more. It makes you resistant to the physical damage types, which is a binary thing.

Sort of, you can be resistant to something where damage is halved, or very resistant where damage is quartered. Then there's immunity as well.

However, Bonemass power is already very resistant to physical damage, not resistant, so even if there was stacking (there isn't) there's no further resistance to go to other than immunity. For example, the Root harnesk and Serpent shield are only resistant to pierce, but using them and Bonemass would result in Bonemass's very resistance overriding the harnesk/shield's resistance.

The detailed mechanics can be seen here: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just started playing again, never got further than a little into the Black Forest. How do you create a safe base there? In a previous save I aggroed a troll and he just wrecked my house which makes me wary of building anything there.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The only way of making your base safe in a hostile biome, afaik, is spreading a net of spawn-preventing structures (campfires work last I tried, and look pretty natural in the black forest when unlit/burnt out) to keep enemies well out of aggro distance.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

go in during the day, pick a spot and quickly build a workbench in a "shed" protected by walls and a roof so you can work from it and maybe fix your tools, level an area of ground and start building, start with a fire and get the walls up asap, don't build near a troll cave or greydwarf spawn and you should be fine unless you're very unlucky

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ymgve posted:

Just started playing again, never got further than a little into the Black Forest. How do you create a safe base there? In a previous save I aggroed a troll and he just wrecked my house which makes me wary of building anything there.

The best way to build a base in the black forest is find a small peninsula that you can defend, and as mentioned prevent enemies from spawning. I found one of the abandoned stone towers on a peninsula and built a base there once.

The second best way is to build in the meadows very close to the black forest.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I usually just find a meadow/forest intersection with copper nearby and build it on the meadow part.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

pik_d posted:

Sort of, you can be resistant to something where damage is halved, or very resistant where damage is quartered. Then there's immunity as well.

However, Bonemass power is already very resistant to physical damage, not resistant, so even if there was stacking (there isn't) there's no further resistance to go to other than immunity. For example, the Root harnesk and Serpent shield are only resistant to pierce, but using them and Bonemass would result in Bonemass's very resistance overriding the harnesk/shield's resistance.

The detailed mechanics can be seen here: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance

Whoa, I had no idea. Explains why Bonemass is so crazy good. Thanks for clarifying!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

Big rear end ditch. A ha-ha is my go to technique for the plains to make the base look cooler, but trolls are harder to keep out.

Also I basically just don't build permanent bases in the Black Forest because it's too annoying with all the grey dwarves.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Seeing conflicting information online: does the mistlands invasion event start after you kill yagluth or after you kill the mistland boss?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

joepinetree posted:

Seeing conflicting information online: does the mistlands invasion event start after you kill yagluth or after you kill the mistland boss?

100% after Yagluth, I've gotten the seeker event and I haven't even thought about going after the Mistlands boss. I have not gotten the Gjall event but that only happens in the Mistlands and I don't stay there for super long periods of time, and don't have any bases there.

They are supposed to be disabled after you beat the Mistlands boss, based on this https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Events

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
gently caress. My server is like half builders in scraps gear who just like to play house and half people who want to see combat. Hope the invasion happens when the latter half is online.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's so satisfying to do a one-hit bash with a club, specifically the Porcupine, on a skeleton, and have it just explode in a mess of bones.

:black101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

joepinetree posted:

gently caress. My server is like half builders in scraps gear who just like to play house and half people who want to see combat. Hope the invasion happens when the latter half is online.

lol yea this was our server. Half the people were like "holy gently caress yes 8 trolls to fight" while the other half just panicked and died over and over

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there an easy way to do stakewalls up slopes? I wish they had more snap points to make it a bit easier to terrace them since as is they only snap to the very top or bottom.

At some point I'm going to build a motte and bailey plains base/village and really like trying to work with the environment where I can instead of just flattening everything and making squares, and think the stakewall is the only reasonable barrier for exterior walls.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 14, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't tried it but can you snap either 1m beams or horizontal corewood to the bottom? That would let you offset them better.

Barring that it's probably "Get Valheim Plus"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What would valheim plus do for that? I'm not super familiar with all its features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

lol yea this was our server. Half the people were like "holy gently caress yes 8 trolls to fight" while the other half just panicked and died over and over

Oh, but there is something specific about this new sort of invasion that I didn't anticipate happening after we killed yagluth

they fly! so the usual trench strat to keep enemies away won't work