Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RBA Starblade posted:

The mech combat sucks rear end

oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's what I thought!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh poo poo, For Answer actually runs real well on my system.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dropping your mech in TF2 ruled. Squishing humans was great.

It wasn’t piloting like mech warrior, but it was very fun fps goodness.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
How much do y’all save scum in these games? I’ve been playing a bit of 1 and 3 on emulators, making generous use of save states to retry missions for free. That’s partially just because they’re old unforgiving games with unintuitive controls that I don’t want to spend a ton of time getting good at, but the games also just seem tough by design.

Love the loop of doing missions to get money to customize your mecha in between missions. Reminds me of XCOM or (obviously) Battletech.

E:

dodgeblan posted:

I am picturing a mission based structure but each mission being in a very large play area with a bunch of different ways to approach the objective, as well as side objectives.

Armored Core Phantom Pain

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 13, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

How much do y’all save scum in these games? I’ve been playing a bit of 1 and 3 on emulators, making generous use of save states to retry missions for free. That’s partially just because they’re old unforgiving games with unintuitive controls that I don’t want to spend a ton of time getting good at, but the games also just seem tough by design.

Love the loop of doing missions to get money to customize your mecha in between missions. Reminds me of XCOM or (obviously) Battletech.

E:

Armored Core Phantom Pain

Eh you do you, the games didn't auto save I don't think, so I think there was a degree of expected reloading and retrying. Last Raven at least had a few story paths/forks based on not taking the risky mission and if I recall right whether you were on a job where certain other pilots get merced or come for you, so savescumming might have the downside of you not taking those paths since you weren't low on funds. Plus some of the esrly games had a pity system where the game started giving fre improvements if you failed enough, which you might be missing out on.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
like I remember miyazaki saying that Elden Ring wouldn't be that long a game when it ended up being absurdly long. He tends to answer questions extremely literally

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

dodgeblan posted:

like I remember miyazaki saying that Elden Ring wouldn't be that long a game when it ended up being absurdly long. He tends to answer questions extremely literally

"You only need to kill 2 gods to advance to endgame, it's 10-20 hours max a playthrough -players are doing WHAT?" -Miyazaki, probably

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

earlier in the thread i was talking about how i noticed i was having a lot more fun if i just took my lumps instead of obsessively replaying the same mission over and over until i wrung every last bit of economic efficiency out of it. worst thing that can happen is i go broke, start over, and kick the absolute poo poo out of early game jerks with a mid game mech for free money.

this isn't me being an ironmanning tryhard, it genuinely feels like a legitimately more chilled out way to play the game

ac1 is pretty demanding but there's a lot more wiggle room for loving up than you might think. try out just going along with it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh man i only ever played ac1 but I’m excited for this

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

earlier in the thread i was talking about how i noticed i was having a lot more fun if i just took my lumps instead of obsessively replaying the same mission over and over until i wrung every last bit of economic efficiency out of it. worst thing that can happen is i go broke, start over, and kick the absolute poo poo out of early game jerks with a mid game mech for free money.

this isn't me being an ironmanning tryhard, it genuinely feels like a legitimately more chilled out way to play the game

ac1 is pretty demanding but there's a lot more wiggle room for loving up than you might think. try out just going along with it

I reloaded my save every time I lost a mission, but otherwise I took my lumps. The only mission that was frustrating enough to make me want save states in AC1 was the finale. A lot of awkward climbing before a couple really nasty fights made for much more tedium than tension.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basticle posted:

hell, same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrd8mkehCw&t=140s
(timestamped)

It's one of the best trailers ever imo

lmao holy poo poo

edit; seriously the manchild glee is so infectious. i would post more of them but i'm trying to control myself

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 13, 2022

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

AC was always kind of j-game jank that gets real busted at the end when the in-game technology gets a little beyond what the gameplay and camera was tuned for. They fought analog controls for a while and … man. Some things were just timelessly quirky about it and persisted from game to game.

With that out of the way it’s always nice to see agile mecha stuff and getting this thing approved must have been a battle.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I played a shitload of Chromehounds but no real AC, is there any comparison beyond both being FROM mech games?

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Basticle posted:

hell, same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrd8mkehCw&t=140s
(timestamped)

It's one of the best trailers ever imo

I dunno man has this YouTuber mentioned before that he liked armored core? I’m getting super suspicious of these reaction videos if they are just people hyping out for clicks or actual longtime fans. I mean armored core is a super niche and obscure IP and now all of a sudden I’m seeing hundreds of “OMG Armored core!” Reactions like if all these people are fans AC would have been a much higher thing. If you notice in that he starts putting on a hype show the second the trailer starts before you even really know what’s going on from the beginning and doesn’t speculate once that it’s armored coreeven after the mechs show ip. Only after the title shows up he screams out the title.

I noticed this recently with the silent hill revival too. Like if this many people were passionate about it these franchises would have never went dormant. I find the whole thing Suss but maybe it’s because I can’t stand social media.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

I dunno man has this YouTuber mentioned before that he liked armored core? I’m getting super suspicious of these reaction videos if they are just people hyping out for clicks or actual longtime fans. I mean armored core is a super niche and obscure IP and now all of a sudden I’m seeing hundreds of “OMG Armored core!” Reactions like if all these people are fans AC would have been a much higher thing. If you notice in that he starts putting on a hype show the second the trailer starts before you even really know what’s going on from the beginning and doesn’t speculate once that it’s armored coreeven after the mechs show ip. Only after the title shows up he screams out the title.

I noticed this recently with the silent hill revival too. Like if this many people were passionate about it these franchises would have never went dormant. I find the whole thing Suss but maybe it’s because I can’t stand social media.

Yeah it's a bit sus, and probably just embedded marketing or bandwagon clout chasing for channel subscriptions. The real ones you can usually tell right away because they look like huge nerds who are old and everyone around them is smiling in some embarrased sheepish way lol

That said, it's pretty easy to get hype off the trailer, it's designed very purposefully.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Noob Saibot posted:

Silent Hill and Konami is an interesting choice for an example of "if there was a market for it, the IP wouldn't have gone dormant"

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That said, it's pretty easy to get hype off the trailer, it's designed very purposefully.

Some dude overlayed the audio from Dark Souls 3 accursed trailer on top of this one and they're a near perfect match, there's a recipe for this sort of thing and it works.

Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/armoredcore/comments/zjhtlb/ive_found_a_connection_between_the_dark_souls_3/
Ignore the "what does it mean??????????"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chiasaur11 posted:

I reloaded my save every time I lost a mission, but otherwise I took my lumps. The only mission that was frustrating enough to make me want save states in AC1 was the finale. A lot of awkward climbing before a couple really nasty fights made for much more tedium than tension.

Oh god the jumping puzzles in my mech game with janky controls

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I despise the whole reaction video genre, but it's too simplistic to write any given person off just because they may seem like a johnny-come-lately. The last game in this series was basically a decade ago, and the last time they were being released frequently was in the aughts. When you look back that far, lots of people (including, I would guess, most people making reaction videos for YouTube) were parent-dependent or unable to afford stuff for other reasons. A person could still be genuinely hype for an AC game now because they read about the series or saw a friend playing it or whatever. God knows I was vibrating with hype for things I couldn't afford or even find in a store in the 90s.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
From the Verdict Day Alternate Music DLC: "Songs that do not fit the mood at all but somehow still work"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBWidpm568

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't like V at all but it's still pretty cool that V and Verdict Day are explicitly the Closed Plan ending of 4A and your machine is a tiny piece of crap compared to the old Doombringers that killed the planet to start with

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsmUW6ETTYk

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i know they said that multiplayer is not the focus but i hope that coop is a thing when this game launches. Want to team up with my boys and stomp on some city-block sized monstrosity with our mech squad

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Add this to the OP

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't like V at all but it's still pretty cool that V and Verdict Day are explicitly the Closed Plan ending of 4A and your machine is a tiny piece of crap compared to the old Doombringers that killed the planet to start with

I find it funny how 4 has that one arena fight against a former Raven who pilots his NEXT like a Normal, and you laugh at his slow rear end as you boost around all his attacks.

Then VD rolls around and you're on the receiving end of that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I played a shitload of Chromehounds but no real AC, is there any comparison beyond both being FROM mech games?

You've experienced about 3/4s of the gameplay Armored Core usually brings to the table through Chromehounds. In the mech design aspect, Chromehounds and Armored Core are virtually indistinguishable. It's in the actual mission gameplay where the real differences emerge. Chromehounds is a very slow and heavy game. Everything has a plodding sense of weight to it. Chromehounds got fast on occasion, but never as fast and responsive as Armored Core gets. I replayed a bit of Chromehounds last year because I was considering doing an LP of it, and I went "wow, this is much slower than I remember it being".

Jumping to Armored Core from that might be a bit of a system shock at first, but you should be able to pick it up quite easily after some time to learn the nitty gritty differences between the two game styles.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the movement progression of armored core is fun. you start out fighting lovely non-AC mechs that you can basically run circles around and the game is pretty dang easy. and then you fight your first enemy AC and that mother fucker is flying around at a million miles per second and you realize you haven't been using the boost to its full potential shortly after you explode.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

whats the best way to play For Answer on PC, ps3 or xbox emulation?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

whats the best way to play For Answer, ps3 or xbox emulation?

Xbox emulation with xenia

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

whats the best way to play For Answer on PC, ps3 or xbox emulation?

i've been playing For Answer with RPCS3 with zero issues aside from the radar not displaying missiles. RPCS3 has working multiplayer as a bonus if you wanna get some PVP going with friends.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
RPCS3 FA multiplayer is great. Remember to enable Read/Write Color Buffers to help reduce visual glitches, but otherwise it runs great. Also having consistent 60 fps really help.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I have PS2 emulation set up but not PS3/Xbox. Is there a PS2 AC worth playing or should I just do the computer chores to get For Answer running?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

acksplode posted:

I have PS2 emulation set up but not PS3/Xbox. Is there a PS2 AC worth playing or should I just do the computer chores to get For Answer running?

all of the PS2 games are worth playing, just don't play Last Raven as your first

Atlatl posted:

RPCS3 FA multiplayer is great. Remember to enable Read/Write Color Buffers to help reduce visual glitches, but otherwise it runs great. Also having consistent 60 fps really help.

some of the missions in FA caused me so much trouble on PS3 and im now realizing it was entirely due to lag

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

ShadowMar posted:

all of the PS2 games are worth playing, just don't play Last Raven as your first

^^^ Play the PS2 games and go in release order, basically: Armored Core 2 > Another Age > Armored Core 3 > Silent Line > Nexus > Ninebreaker > Last Raven.

Don't play Ninebreaker it sucks. Or DO play Ninebreaker purely to torture yourself, get all its exclusive parts and then import them into Last Raven. OR just gameshark all of Ninebreaker's parts into your save file for Last Raven. It's your life, live it how you want to.

Also if you have PPSSPP set up, there are PSP versions of Armored Core 3, Silent Line, and Last Raven each with even more exclusive parts that you can check out as well, if you're willing to, you know :yarr:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 13, 2022

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/pmcTRILOGY/status/1600580079452569601

Pretty cool!

nine-gear crow posted:

You've experienced about 3/4s of the gameplay Armored Core usually brings to the table through Chromehounds. In the mech design aspect, Chromehounds and Armored Core are virtually indistinguishable. It's in the actual mission gameplay where the real differences emerge. Chromehounds is a very slow and heavy game. Everything has a plodding sense of weight to it. Chromehounds got fast on occasion, but never as fast and responsive as Armored Core gets. I replayed a bit of Chromehounds last year because I was considering doing an LP of it, and I went "wow, this is much slower than I remember it being".

Jumping to Armored Core from that might be a bit of a system shock at first, but you should be able to pick it up quite easily after some time to learn the nitty gritty differences between the two game styles.

I never got to play Chromehounds unfortunately but I've seen a lot of people praising its multiplayer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

https://twitter.com/pmcTRILOGY/status/1600580079452569601

Pretty cool!

I never got to play Chromehounds unfortunately but I've seen a lot of people praising its multiplayer

The single player half still works and holds up if you have a 360 or a backwards compatible modern Xbox console. They killed the Neroimus War, the multiplayer half of the game, back in 2010, but it was insanely innovative for its time. Basically a full-on war between three countries/factions that was continually running across a pre-existing world map, players and squads doing missions across that map for their chosen country would contribute to that country's winning or losing of the war, including capturing cities and other targets of opportunity across the map, gaining and losing territory, all the way to factions eventually losing their capitals and surrendering. The war would then reset and play out all over again once one side definitively won.

It was a precursor to a lot of the modern live service game bullshit you see in online spaces today, only like a solid decade before any of that poo poo became popular. Chromehounds basically taught FROM what it needed to learn in order to make Dark Souls and Elden Ring.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

acksplode posted:

Play the PS2 games, they are amazing. Basically all are great in their own way, but 3 is probably the best starting point for someone just getting into it though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

^^^ Play the PS2 games and go in release order, basically: Armored Core 2 > Another Age > Armored Core 3 > Silent Line > Nexus > Ninebreaker > Last Raven.

Don't play Ninebreaker it sucks. Or DO play Ninebreaker purely to torture yourself, get all its exclusive parts and then import them into Last Raven. OR just gameshark all of Ninebreaker's parts into your save file for Last Raven. It's your life, live it how you want to.

Also if you have PPSSPP set up, there are PSP versions of Armored Core 3, Silent Line, and Last Raven each with even more exclusive parts that you can check out as well, if you're willing to, you know :yarr:

Thanks for the advice! I didn't exactly need a bunch of games getting dropped on my backlog like garbage blocks in tetris attack, but I'm a huge post-Souls Fromsoft fan, so I'm pretty excited to dig in on all of these.

edit VVV Yeah I think I'll at least give AC1 a few hours of my time, just to get a sense of how it plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

hell, even the PSX armored core games are still worth playing. i replayed them a few months ago and they still hold up really well