Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

oscarthewilde posted:

ideology, like a camera obscura, turns the spectator’s world on its head without the spectator being conscious of this fact. the liberals, and particularly the kojevian-fukuyama branch, have taken a purely idealistic view of the economy in general and industry in particular. efficiency as Zweck-an-sich-selbst, combined with a conception of man as a rational homo economicus, prescribe profit-making and rent-seeking on a global scale, and thus preempt the possibility of higher, national or social interests playing a role in the economy.
Russia does not play by these rules, and must necessarily have an inefficient and ineffective economy and could not, in any case, beat the west in their own game.

in the end, like so many things, it’s all hegels fault.

this hegel sounds like a great man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sorry what are those country names in the legend??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i'm the two countries that have been perpetually at war for decades in the same alliance

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because not only did SEATO exist, it spectacularly failed. There are case studies about this. What the gently caress?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Truga posted:

i'm the two countries that have been perpetually at war for decades in the same alliance

Notice that they don't include Pakistan and Afghanistan in their list of countries in the alliance. In this alternate universe, India genocides its way up to the Iranian border, so there are no warring countries within the alliance. Only India.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Frosted Flake posted:

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because not only did SEATO exist, it spectacularly failed. There are case studies about this. What the gently caress?

*Reminds you about your attempts to explain artillery at family gatherings*

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hmm, don't think the New Empire of Japan is going to be good for the Philippines...

It's funny, though. We make fun of this poo poo, but is this really any more cringe than the historical partition of Africa or the Middle-East? School boys drawing lines on maps.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Dec 13, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's funny, though. We make fun of this poo poo, but is this really any more cringe than the historical partition of Africa or the Middle-East? School boys drawing lines on maps.

This is why you should just play casual fantasy games like HoI and get it out of your system in a way that doesn't harm anyone.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its paradoxbrain. Better they do it on maps than in real life.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

i say swears online posted:

sorry what are those country names in the legend??

Nusantara Singapore
Grand Thai Realm
Imperial Union of India
Republic of Vietnam
Republic of the Philippines
Republic of Taiwan
Republic of Korea
New Empire of Japan

Any nations not listed here have been... folded into this *~*anti-imperialist*~* project.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why did the Freedom and Democracy alliance have colonies?

quote:

Though Secretary of State John Foster Dulles considered SEATO an essential element in U.S. foreign policy in Asia, historians have considered the Manila Pact a failure, and the pact is rarely mentioned in history books. In The Geneva Conference of 1954 on Indochina, Sir James Cable, a diplomat and naval strategist, described SEATO as "a fig leaf for the nakedness of American policy", citing the Manila Pact as a "zoo of paper tigers". As early as the 1950s Aneurin Bevan unsuccessfully tried to block SEATO in the British Parliament, at one point interrupting a parliamentary debate between Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden and Leader of the Opposition Clement Attlee to excoriate them both for considering the idea.

In the early 1970s, the question of dissolving the organization arose. Pakistan withdrew in 1973, after East Pakistan seceded and became Bangladesh on 16 December 1971. South Vietnam was defeated in war by North Vietnam and France withdrew financial support in 1975, and the SEATO council agreed to the phasing-out of the organization. After a final exercise on 20 February 1976, the organization was formally dissolved on 30 June 1977 during the Carter Administration.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm the uk and france in southeast asia

at least usa borders the loving ocean, what's their excuse

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

oscarthewilde posted:

ideology, like a camera obscura, turns the spectator’s world on its head without the spectator being conscious of this fact. the liberals, and particularly the kojevian-fukuyama branch, have taken a purely idealistic view of the economy in general and industry in particular. efficiency as Zweck-an-sich-selbst, combined with a conception of man as a rational homo economicus, prescribe profit-making and rent-seeking on a global scale, and thus preempt the possibility of higher, national or social interests playing a role in the economy.
Russia does not play by these rules, and must necessarily have an inefficient and ineffective economy and could not, in any case, beat the west in their own game.

in the end, like so many things, it’s all hegels fault.

I've encountered this multiple times over the past years in the various jobs I've had through the presentation of efficiency as a goal. It can't be a goal. In fact, efficiency on its own is an utterly meaningless term. Efficiency is a measurement of the amount of resources (labour, capital, time, whatever metric(s) are the crucial ones) that a system or process or organization requires to achieve its goal. Thus to talk about efficiency, you *must* first define a goal. You should also define your key metrics and their bandwidths, so if you are trying to optimize for time, throwing more labour and/or capital at the problem ought to be an acceptable solution, unless this exceeds the bandwidth.

This seems so completely basic to me that its taken me quite a while to understand that a lot of people do not see this as a basic truth. And in fact, I've had rather long discussions trying to explain this to multiple managers over the years. They talk about optimization, but they won't tell you *what they are trying to optimize for*.

In global politics and economics in this liberal worldview, it is the same disease that sees an individual become a multibillionaire yet persist at spending time and effort to amass more for themselves writ large. Capital must forever be accumulated at an ever increasing rate. BUT FOR WHAT PURPOSE? Are we going to use these massively unleashed productive forces and unprecedented capital accumulation to raise the standard of living of our national population? Of humanity? Are we going to solve climate change? Are we going to permanently cure diseases? Colonize Mars?

No, the liberal imagination appears incapable of even conceiving of a goal, with the de-facto goal becoming creating an ever more extravagant playground for the ultra wealthy. But even this they don't conceive of explicitly, or else every billionaire would just recognize they have won at the game of life and fully commit to enjoying themselves 24/7.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Dec 13, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Should put him back on Myrotsvorets about it.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Zodium posted:

this hegel sounds like a great man

he is the greatest. the world spirit sitting in an armchair

Orange Devil posted:

I've encountered this multiple times over the past years in the various jobs I've had through the presentation of efficiency as a goal. It can't be a goal. In fact, efficiency on its own is an utterly meaningless term. Efficiency is a measurement of the amount of resources (labour, capital, time, whatever metric(s) are the crucial ones) that a system or process or organization requires to achieve its goal. Thus to talk about efficiency, you *must* first define a goal. You should also define your key metrics and their bandwidths, so if you are trying to optimize for time, throwing more labour and/or capital at the problem ought to be an acceptable solution, unless this exceeds the bandwidth.

This seems so completely basic to me that its taken me quite a while to understand that a lot of people do not see this as a basic truth. And in fact, I've had rather long discussions trying to explain this to multiple managers over the years. They talk about optimization, but they won't tell you *what they are trying to optimize for*.

In global politics and economics in this liberal worldview, it is the same disease that sees an individual become a multibillionaire yet persist at spending time and effort to amass more for themselves writ large. Capital must forever be accumulated at an ever increasing rate. BUT FOR WHAT PURPOSE? Are we going to use these massively unleashed productive forces and unprecedented capital accumulation to raise the standard of living of our national population? Of humanity? Are we going to solve climate change? Are we going to permanently cure diseases? Colonize Mars?

No, the liberal imagination appears incapable of even conceiving of a goal, with the de-facto goal becoming creating an ever more extravagant playground for the ultra wealthy. But even this they don't conceive of explicitly, or else every billionaire would just recognize they have won at the game of life and fully commit to enjoying themselves 24/7.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. This is definitely one of the major issues of our time, an ideological corruption so complete and total, its 'victims' don't even know they exist under ideology. Everything might be entirely logical and complete within their particular worldview, but they are so far removed from actual real life nothing they do and say makes any sense at all. this worldview is so popular and everpresent, any left-wing project can only succeed without it. As such, the goal of any effective left-wing egalitarian project should be to completely destabilise and delegitimize this kind of worldview, but I fear that might be a forlorn hope.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I've encountered this multiple times over the past years in the various jobs I've had through the presentation of efficiency as a goal. It can't be a goal however. In fact, efficiency on its own is an utterly meaningless term. Efficiency is a measurement of the amount of resources (labour, capital, time, whatever metric(s) are the crucial ones) that a system or process or organization requires to achieve its goal. Thus to talk about efficiency, you *must* first define a goal. You should also define your key metrics and their bandwidths, so if you are trying to optimize for time, throwing more labour and/or capital at the problem ought to be an acceptable solution, unless this exceeds the bandwidth.

good post.

the problem is not that your managers can't imagine a goal; the implicit goal is to produce capital, money that makes money, i.e., systems of labor control. it's that they can't imagine there could be any other goal. even the ultra wealthy work towards this goal. Capital produces subjects who value its reproduction more than anything, more than even their own.

oscarthewilde posted:

he is the greatest. the world spirit sitting in an armchair

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. This is definitely one of the major issues of our time, an ideological corruption so complete and total, its 'victims' don't even know they exist under ideology. Everything might be entirely logical and complete within their particular worldview, but they are so far removed from actual real life nothing they do and say makes any sense at all. this worldview is so popular and everpresent, any left-wing project can only succeed without it. As such, the goal of any effective left-wing egalitarian project should be to completely destabilise and delegitimize this kind of worldview, but I fear that might be a forlorn hope.

:nsa:

Zodium has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Dec 13, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zodium posted:

good post.

the problem is not that your managers can't imagine a goal; the implicit goal is to produce capital, money that makes money, i.e., systems of labor control. it's that they can't imagine there could be any other goal. even the ultra wealthy work towards this goal. Capital produces subjects who value its reproduction more than anything, more than even their own.

Yes, but also no. What I'm saying is that the problem goes even a level deeper.

These managers are responsible for small cogs of a giant machine that creates capital (aka, a multinational corporation). And obviously they want the cogs they are responsible for to operate better, aka more efficiently. But that's what they'll tell me and their other workers. "Make my cogs run better". Ok, uhh, how do you define better boss? How is this cog best serving the giant machine? Obviously our external and internal environment is ever changing, so obviously we ought to constantly be tinkering with the cogs and the machine to best fit those environments and optimally produce capital. They get this, I get this, we all get this. But they don't get that "make my cog more efficient" isn't an actionable loving request.

These fuckers ought to be analyzing that internal and external environment, as well as the workings of the machine and its cogs as they currently are. And then tell us "ok, these cogs are obsolete, these ones ought to be reconfigured to optimize for time now rather than minimizing cost as they currently are, and we need to build these new cogs". Like, that is, ostensibly, their function in the machine. But they don't perceive this. They perceive "make cogs I am responsible for more efficient". What is more efficient? Just better, obviously, isn't that self-evident, why are you even asking me to explain this?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Yes, but also no. What I'm saying is that the problem goes even a level deeper.

These managers are responsible for small cogs of a giant machine that creates capital (aka, a multinational corporation). And obviously they want the cogs they are responsible for to operate better, aka more efficiently. But that's what they'll tell me and their other workers. "Make my cogs run better". Ok, uhh, how do you define better boss? How is this cog best serving the giant machine? Obviously our external and internal environment is ever changing, so obviously we ought to constantly be tinkering with the cogs and the machine to best fit those environments and optimally produce capital. They get this, I get this, we all get this. But they don't get that "make my cog more efficient" isn't an actionable loving request.

These fuckers ought to be analyzing that internal and external environment, as well as the workings of the machine and its cogs as they currently are. And then tell us "ok, these cogs are obsolete, these ones ought to be reconfigured to optimize for time now rather than minimizing cost as they currently are, and we need to build these new cogs". Like, that is, ostensibly, their function in the machine. But they don't perceive this. They perceive "make cogs I am responsible for more efficient". What is more efficient? Just better, obviously, isn't that self-evident, why are you even asking me to explain this?

the point is not for any one firm or person to produce maximum capital for themselves. it is to maximize the global production of capital by a totalitarian regularization of behavior. in this sense, the command to be efficient is an actionable request. liberals understand what is meant by the unqualified optimization, even if they can't explain or analyze it: regularize the behavior of the cog. what's actually happening is that your ability to conceive of other goals (such as "maximize the particular firm's production of capital") is interfering with your ability to maximize the global production of capital by following and enforcing that certain mode of behavior without hesitation, a bit like an athlete who starts thinking about something they learned how to do instinctively through deliberate practice.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

To add:

Thinking about this some more, I think this might stem from one of the fundamental contradictions of liberal capitalism which is that companies internally do not operate according to the principles of the market.

For a company to function well and be succesful at achieving its goal of capital accumulation, especially in a sustainable way, it is paramount that it eschews in its internal operations a whole bunch of principles which underpin (neo)liberalism. For example, a company needs departments to cooperate, rather than compete. It needs to make long-term investments rather than focus only on the next quarter. It needs to be able to imagine a desired future state and then purposefully work towards that. I'm sure there's a bunch more examples.

But that's not how we're training anyone to think about the world anymore. Short term cost optimization, competition, markets, they're all seen as self-evidently good rather than tools you can use to achieve a goal. As for the goal, the ideal state is perceived as having no ideology (aka, being fully blinded by neoliberalism), which explicitly precludes ever formulating or even having a vision.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Remember when that quality control lady got busted for fudging the numbers on the steel used for US submarines for like 30 years

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

Remember when that quality control lady got busted for fudging the numbers on the steel used for US submarines for like 30 years

lol

That's what happens when you tell them to do something without telling them why they need to do it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But production of cannons was both one of the earliest forms of heavy industry, after and related to bell production, and the very first directed by the state. That’s without getting into its role in the development of standardized weights and measures, various industrial techniques, metallurgical processes etc. It’s foundational.

It shouldn’t be a mystery where cannons come from, it’s so integral to the origins of industrial capitalism and the modern state that I don’t understand why even under all of those layers, a liberal capitalist wouldn’t be able to see enough of the contours. Russia will be able to produce guns because it’s a state and possesses heavy industry.

I don’t know, would anyone think church bells couldn’t be made within a nation? Because that’s the determining factor, really. It’s such an essential step to industrialization that If they can make steel, machine tools and locomotives, they can make artillery barrels and carriages.

Although maybe you did touch on the crux of it, because heavy industry is not about efficiency, not really. It’s about having the capability within a state and then building capacity. Producing rails or armour plate isn’t really like producing consumer products.

I’m not qualified enough on economics or business to say how, other than the state directs or subsidizes production of these things because the function of the state relies on as much as possible being produced. Or did. I don’t know how they plan to do without, but who the gently caress knows where they’re at by this point?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Dec 13, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lord of Pie posted:

lol

that's just efficiency. why waste manhours on checks and balances when you can just rubberstamp the paperwork

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The US is going to send Patriot missiles to Ukraine.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/13/politics/us-patriot-missile-defense-system-ukraine/index.html

I feel like Russia's pretty much insane if they don't respond by giving Iran and whoever else the US doesn't like similar capabilities now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The US is going to send Patriot missiles to Ukraine.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/13/politics/us-patriot-missile-defense-system-ukraine/index.html

I feel like Russia's pretty much insane if they don't respond by giving Iran and whoever else the US doesn't like similar capabilities now.

jfc

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
The war will be over by Christmas, at least.

In nuclear fire with billion of people dead, but it will be over.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Lol at all these other countries combining while Taiwan is its own entity. Only countries that are already US client states get to preserve their smaller autonomy, the rest are just jammed together to make them simpler to administer/negotiate with

Just lumping Afghanistan in with India and Pakistan like that :psyduck:

Singapore has subsumed Indonesia?? :dafuq:

The result overall is commensurate with the effort that was put in. :cmon:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
India and Pakistan are in the SCO for Christ's sakes!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

seato: am i joke to you???

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Geran-2 is supposed to be cost effective isn't it? Getting someone to shoot patriots at them still seems like a win.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

seato: am i joke to you???

Wikipedia posted:

SEATO was dissolved on 30 June 1977 after many members lost interest and withdrew.

It's the kind of game that's only fun when you can get all your friends to play :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will make Pakistan and India hug it out and get over it

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The IWT is still a thing lol. Waking up frothing is for middle class rubes and newsmakers.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
USA inviting all of Southeast Asia over for Halo and pizza rolls but France, Australia, New Zealand and the UK show up, killing the vibe completely

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Zodium posted:

good post.

:nsa:

Honestly it's interesting to note that sometimes it doesn't break down that way. FF is aware Nova Scotia and the Maritimes implemented heavy lockdown and a protective isolated barrier because they realized the Metropole didn't give a gently caress whether they lived or died

If the petty nobility so to speak see their own mortality** they'll pull a Marquis de Lafayette and fight on our side

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1602706740247777280
Proxy war news

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Look for high profile fuckups

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol if the brits helped the Ukrainians blow up that bridge.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol if the brits helped the Ukrainians blow up that bridge pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol if the brits helped the Ukrainians blow up that bridge.

If????? Only one country is so full of itself, dumb, and capable of naval operations