Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its important to get a good deep buzz going so, if you do crash, you'll be all floppy and loosened up, take less damage that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've got a cousin that drives drunk all the time and he's never killed anyone. It's fine. These drunk driving laws are just an excuse for the cops to pull you over whenever they like.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

withak posted:

i actually drive better when I'm just a little bit buzzed.

everyone does it’s just science

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i drive better blindfolded (daredevil technique)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I drive better at low speed (doses).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the drunk driver community is shrinking daily, mashallah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
having to face traffic while sober kinda sucks

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Smythe posted:

i drive better blindfolded (daredevil technique)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J_LHnX8WTk&t=114s

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Underpasses always smell like piss. People should piss on parked cars instead imo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eXXon posted:

I drive better at low speed (doses).

It might actually improve american drivers who can't help but be distracted by everything else while driving

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There are multiple crashes on this bridge every single work day because people come out of the tunnel at 70mph, maintain that speed across the bridge, and then try to merge into 75' long exit ramps without braking. Love that everyone's driving a supercar nowadays.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

its important to get a good deep buzz going so, if you do crash, you'll be all floppy and loosened up, take less damage that way.

you save that $$$ on pain medicine when you go to the hospital right after

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

which podcaster is that?

probably some basic trash like chapo :rolleyes:

is it not a little bit ableist to ban drunk driving for alcoholics in a country where you need a cart to live?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I would never drink and drive.

*veers onto sidewalk while using phone*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its ableist to field test a drunk man's sobriety. may as well make a paraplegic try to walk

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Cars: Still Hate Them

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/12/ford-mustang-takes-out-c7-corvette-during-street-race-video/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And even the guy with the dash cam is doing 135? loving christ

:guillotine: the lot of 'em

PittTheElder has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Dec 13, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Do you know what killed the streetcars

Hint: It was cars.

It wasn't some conspiracy of cars companies and tire companies it was people seeing cars as better, and you need to change that

people are talking about me handwaving battery tech but everyone here is handwaving the entirety of US society.

I'd bet on a battery built entirely out of diamonds and fairy dust before that happens.

🤪

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zokari posted:

getting rid of cars in the US is more delusional than full communism

When the revolution comes, the cars will be the first up against the wall.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

god i hate these frickin cars

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

eXXon posted:

Spiral ramp that poo poo:

(thanks for info on the Vending Machine Experience, google)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

this looks fun on a bike ngl

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Blockade posted:

this looks fun on a bike ngl

Unless you're on the other side of the street. Also the actual bike path in this photo goes from from left to right, not across the bridge. That little bit of pavement in the bottom right corner is it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cars are great

for me to poop on!!!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Ham Equity posted:

On the one hand, I definitely think we should be more aggressive about taking away people's driving licenses. On the other hand, I have literally never been capable of doing this:

Doubly so after the advent of Google Maps.

It sounds like the instructor gets you to point B and then says “OK, now get us back to Point A taking the same streets, etc.”

I don’t think that’s the hardest thing to keep track of if you’re being explicitly tested on it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

It sounds like the instructor gets you to point B and then says “OK, now get us back to Point A taking the same streets, etc.”

I don’t think that’s the hardest thing to keep track of if you’re being explicitly tested on it.

If I were not intimately familiar with the streets, there's no loving way I'd be able to do that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/13/1141907024/gas-food-inflation-november-prices-economy-cpi

Why government not pause the food tax

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

food is already exempt from sales tax in many jurisdictions

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is a weird derail but sales tax is regressive as gently caress and here have a fun pdf to peruse about which items the commonwealth of Pennsylvania finds taxable and which they don't.

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforBusinesses/SUT/Documents/rev-717.pdf

Gardening gloves are untaxed. Golf gloves are. Candy is not taxed but multivitamins are. Diapers are taxed but toilet paper isn't so train your kid quickly, for the tax benefits!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

lol I was right about that too

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ham Equity posted:

If I were not intimately familiar with the streets, there's no loving way I'd be able to do that.

It's kinda weird to ask people to do that, but if that's the test they give to people with dementia to get them out of cars I guess it makes sense, you can shrug and point to the weird rules and say "sorry bud, gimme them keys."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It's kinda weird to ask people to do that, but if that's the test they give to people with dementia to get them out of cars I guess it makes sense, you can shrug and point to the weird rules and say "sorry bud, gimme them keys."

Sounds kind of like the equivalent of getting pulled over for a suspected DUI and then being asked to say the alphabet backwards. Sober people struggle with it too but drunk people panic or can't even manage "Z".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ham Equity posted:

So you like have this combination of utterly lacking a sense of direction as well as spatial memory?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

So you like have this combination of utterly lacking a sense of direction as well as spatial memory?
I have a truly godawful sense of direction. I have to drive someplace five or six times before I know the route.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

eXXon posted:

When the revolution comes, the cars will be the first up against the wall.

Good news, most walls have cars parked up against them! Wait, maybe not good.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aren't wild deer full of prion diseases and poo poo now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon is a well known idiot though

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BonHair posted:

Rural in Europe, especially when you get to the low countries, is quite different from what you see in the USA, because the population density is so high though. By American standard, Benelux is basically one big city. This is mostly because the land is worth living on, as opposed to most of the USA, and also people have been making towns for a lot longer. This means lower distances between stuff, which makes bikes more viable, which means you can actually get someone to build infrastructure for it.

Having a bike path from Antwerp to Bruges makes sense because it's a realistic trip to take and basically the entire route is populated. With American infrastructure, you can go from interesting part of city to suburban nothing, which doesn't really make sense.

So you need to start by leveling the suburbs and building a lot of smaller, higher density towns.

a lot of the individual developments aren't that huge, it's just that there's nothing but detached housing for tens of square miles at a time. It's a short walk to the entrance of the development i'm stuck in and when I get there there's... another development across the too-fast road. the zoning creates the wasteland. You could fix a lot of it by mixed zoning but they don't make room for anything but the occasional grandfathered-in gas station or a micro strip-mall anchored by a dollar general. I could absolutely walk/bike to something outside my development if there were anything there, but it's 5 miles to the nearest thing that's not another identical subdevelopment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Aren't wild deer full of prion diseases and poo poo now

also full of covid