Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Why couldn't it have been James Franklin instead?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I thought it was a really dumb comment but didn't really see it as a joke because it wasn't funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

wa27 posted:

I tried looking up Craig James to see if he tweeted about it, but apparently he disappeared from public life like ten years ago.

Good.

That’ll happen when you lose a primary to Ted Cruz, then lose your job for saying the Dallas mayor should be ashamed for attending a pride parade and that gays will answer to the lord one day.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Why couldn't it have been Tommy Tupperville instead?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Or Urban

Or Paterno again

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:rip: Crazy Pirate Football Man with the same birthday as me. :(

Henchman of Santa posted:

Harrell2Crabtree to beat Texas is one of my favorite college football games as a neutral observer.

This but the opposite.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

wa27 posted:

Craig James [...] disappeared from public life like ten years ago.

Good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Football Funhouse > NCAA Champ Week Aftermath: How the Grinch stole Mike Leach

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/1602684309730738181?s=46&t=OK8sSPdNr8EzJoNR5rUJow

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
RIP to a true legend. We're all worse off today without him.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Purdue got their hire and it's a good one:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1602687517186265089?t=v5jvpDfpNa3w-Guccr1T2Q&s=19

The Illinois defense was crazy good, so excellent time to grab that DC and let him run with a program.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm probably one of the youngest posters on this forum and I got into college football in the middle 2000s. A large reason why is entirely due to Mike Leach. To this day the 2008 season is the one I remember most fondly and it wouldn't be possible without the pirate. Mike Leach is probably the man that is most responsible for the current state of how the game is played. Every modern offense at all levels of the game is in some way inspired by the air raid that he helped develop and perfect. Rip to a real one.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Wasn't joking

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

sportsgenius86 posted:

That’ll happen when you lose a primary to Ted Cruz, then lose your job for saying the Dallas mayor should be ashamed for attending a pride parade and that gays will answer to the lord one day.

Never forget when he was fundraising after he lost because his campaign was so deeply in debt

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress this sucks. Go teach Davey Jones the Air Raid you crazy rear end pirate.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1602687517186265089?t=v5jvpDfpNa3w-Guccr1T2Q&s=19

The Illinois defense was crazy good, so excellent time to grab that DC and let him run with a program.

There were rumors at CU that he was our 2nd choice for head coach, and he's a CU alum, so I'm going to be closely watching how things go at Purdue

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So I guess Bill Snyder was telling the truth last night and got asked to walk it back.

I owe a piece of my college fandom to Mike Leach, both as a revolutionary on offense and, through his coaching tree, for playing a role in saving football at my alma mater.

Go swing your drat sword and seize a place among the football gods you crazy pirate :hist101:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Shocked he didn't get a comeback in the Trump Era. I'm sure Newsmax covers sports (to own the libs)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

I know Monken was interviewed for it and I’m an extra glad he didn’t take the job

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This loving sucks.

RIP Coach Leach

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

dirty shrimp money posted:

So I guess Bill Snyder was telling the truth last night and got asked to walk it back.

I owe a piece of my college fandom to Mike Leach, both as a revolutionary on offense and, through his coaching tree, for playing a role in saving football at my alma mater.

Go swing your drat sword and seize a place among the football gods you crazy pirate :hist101:

What was it? Tweets were deleted by the time I saw them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Snyder was lionizing Leach in the past tense last night, hours before any official word had broken that he had in fact passed.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

tactlessbastard posted:

This was maybe 6:30 last night? It was something to the effect of just having heard Leach passed away, then some kind words about his friendship and prayers to his family. A few minutes later Snyder walked that one back saying it was bad information and to disregard.

I'm sure some Twitter shithead screenshot it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would bet he did pass sometime yesterday afternoon or evening if Mississippi State had the statement ready to go 8 AM this morning.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

General Dog posted:

I would bet he did pass sometime yesterday afternoon or evening if Mississippi State had the statement ready to go 8 AM this morning.

Yeah it was a certainty at that point. Having been through that, the body can take a while to quit and they were probably prepping for organ donation, etc. I think everyone knew he was gone.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Snyder's as the age where he knows the odds these things as Leach probably isn't the first friend/family to go like this so even if he didn't really know, he knew and just skipped to the inevitable.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If fiz does college football he could probably explain it better, but whenever I see cardiac arrest patients for anoxic ischemic brain injury for mri, they'll do a 3 day period of hypothermia treatment/neurological testing (unless it's clearly obvious the patient is brain dead already). I assume he either had a massive cardiac event and/or the family ceased intervention.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

man there just aren't that many guys like Leach. dudes that are whacky and weird, yet also super brilliant and made a lasting impact on the game from a strategic standpoint. this sucks

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

If fiz does college football he could probably explain it better, but whenever I see cardiac arrest patients for anoxic ischemic brain injury for mri, they'll do a 3 day period of hypothermia treatment/neurological testing (unless it's clearly obvious the patient is brain dead already). I assume he either had a massive cardiac event and/or the family ceased intervention.
After having pneumonia this season and being vocally anti-vax and just :sigh: man I'm gonna miss having him around CFB

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I decided to look up his Wiki page for the hell of it, and of course Mike Leach had a two-year stint in the 80s here he was the head coach at a place called "The College of the Desert" and then the next year was the head coach of a team called the Pori Bears in the American Football Association of Finland.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

After having pneumonia this season and being vocally anti-vax and just :sigh: man I'm gonna miss having him around CFB

Wait what? He was anti-vax?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mike-leach-asked-about-mississippis-vaccine-mandate/

quote:

Of course, this includes Mike Leach. Mississippi State’s head coach was asked if he had a comment on the decision during his Monday media availability.

“I don’t,” he replied, according to 247Sports. “The whole COVID vaccine thing bounces all over the place. It’d be like commenting on each hit in a tennis match. So, I don’t have any comment.”

Mississippi’s mandate is notable in the college football world since Nick Rolovich, Leach’s successor at Washington State, was terminated for his failure to receive the shot as Washington rolled out a similar mandate for its higher education employees.

Leach in the past has declined to discuss whether he has had the vaccine or not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Leach is like the platonic ideal of what an anti-vax guy is like.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Leach introduced Trump at a rally in Washington in 2016. He was an innovator and a character but not a good person.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Let's not speak too ill of the dead on this one.

RIP You Crazy Pirate

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Rip leach

He was interesting, and that’s more than most people can claim

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One of the least awful people in the sport.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kirios posted:

Let's not speak too ill of the dead on this one.

RIP You Crazy Pirate

no, gently caress this, if the dead sucked, you should absolutely speak ill of them

stop sanctifying assholes

e: i’m not here to die on the hill of Mike Leach being a poo poo person, but boy howdy do i find that sentiment dumb at best and actually damaging at worst

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

go back to the basement, nerds.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Soul Glo posted:

no, gently caress this, if the dead sucked, you should absolutely speak ill of them

stop sanctifying assholes

e: i’m not here to die on the hill of Mike Leach being a poo poo person, but boy howdy do i find that sentiment dumb at best and actually damaging at worst

Yeah exactly this. We're not calling his wife and saying he was lovely we're talking about public stances a public person took. That is absolutely fine to do when that person has died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think Leach's politics are especially relevant to his legacy, and to say "well he supported [x], so he's a good/bad person" is also kind of a facile way of looking at things. If there's a black mark to be discussed, the way he treated his players (especially in the press) is probably the more pressing issue.