Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Sleng Teng posted:

Relax, they are only posts.

Good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The first time I played any asscreed game was when the Series X came out. I played about an hour of every game in order and didn't really like them. But they seemed like ok games, just not for me. I wouldn't fault anyone for being a fan of the series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RodShaft posted:

The first time I played any asscreed game was when the Series X came out. I played about an hour of every game in order and didn't really like them. But they seemed like ok games, just not for me. I wouldn't fault anyone for being a fan of the series.

playing an hour of every Assassins Creed game in order is legally considered torture by the Geneva convention

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
All modern Ubisoft games would benefit from significant editing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
High on life sucks major rear end. Installed it to confirm my suspicions were true.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seltzer posted:

High on life sucks major rear end. Installed it to confirm my suspicions were true.

Maybe you need to be high?

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Ubisoft has For Honor and Trials which both own.

For Honor is like 6 years old and still gets pretty frequent updates. The playerbase is shockingly less toxic than you would think too. This is THE videogame that surprises me isn’t an SA favorite with an active thread.

Trials Rising got absolute dogshit support and has its flaws but it’s still a real good moment to moment game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Chivalry 2 is basically a better for honor in every single way

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Seltzer posted:

Chivalry 2 is basically a better for honor in every single way

Wrong. The name is worse.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
High on Life is good so far. At the first boss. If you don't like Justin Roiland's humor you won't like it but if you do it's pretty fun!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I’m digging it. Little bit rough around the edges but really entertaining so far.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Far Cry 2 was a legitimately interesting game and the last interesting game Ubisoft made

Whichever one had the dubstep was Good. I couldn't believe that was happening.

Far Cry 2 and the respawning bases was shite though. And respawning soldiers/Jeeps with soldiers/everything respawning was completely shite. It was interesting in how angry it made me to clear a base and then get shot in the back by those loving soldiers in that loving base when I was walking away from it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was a lot about Far Cry 2 that was poo poo but it was sort of an interesting game. Far Cry 3 was pretty good, but it was pretty much the birth of Ubisoft using the same, increasingly bland approach with every game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

what does the Far Cry brand name even mean at this point?

is it just like, wandering around attacking outposts of dudes + the vaguest of political commentary or something?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I enjoyed Far Cry 6, it was a lot stronger on the political commentary than people give it credit for, but I wish it were stronger. The games story is critical of western colonialism and the United States, but doesn't go far enough.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Sounds loving incredible, I literally can't imagine anything better than this. btw I had a severe brain haemorrhage earlier this year

we know, we've all seen your posts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Far Cry 2 owned at the time tbh, i'll give them that. maybe the last ubi game i enjoyed. Chaos Theory is GOATed forever and you can play it at absurd resolution on the Series X... win

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you stopped playing Ubisoft games a the end of the 360 era you might be fooled into thinking they were actually sort of an interesting publisher with a variety of different games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Martman posted:

what does the Far Cry brand name even mean at this point?

is it just like, wandering around attacking outposts of dudes + the vaguest of political commentary or something?

Far Cry 3 + ever more expensive (bad) dlc

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
did Far Cry get named Far Cry because it was on CryEngine? that would be silly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember after Far Cry 1 but before Crysis 1, they released a tech demo to PC mags and it ran at about 3fps on my machine. Good times.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

It was the original CryEngine game, IIRC

Same reason 'Crysis' is spelled as it is

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

lol. both of those things are silly, and circular in their silliness. thanks.

i played a few minutes of one set on an island at a friend's house. my friend who just bought every videogame had a copy. he's dead now. i've learned from his mistake.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Perhaps you could say they were both derived from "Crytek".

Anyway, next came "Crysis", which I assume then led to "Ryse" in order to associate that with Crysis with the i→y thing.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I think part of the problem with Far Cry is that they are allowed some level of weirdness and experimentation with the secondary titles (Blood Dragon, Primal, New Dawn), but those are usually farted out in close proximity to a mainline game that everyone is already exhausted of so they barely make a dent in the consciousness. As a result Ubisoft then takes that as evidence to play it safe with the next mainline title. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the stories in them are also big stinky shits.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

wait, i did buy and play Blood Dragon. it was fun. and short. i think those two exist in conjunction.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

it's because it's a far cry from a good game, op

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the stories in them are also big stinky shits.

Nobody plays Far Cry games for the story, and if you do then you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

swims posted:

Ubisoft has For Honor and Trials which both own.

For Honor is like 6 years old and still gets pretty frequent updates. The playerbase is shockingly less toxic than you would think too. This is THE videogame that surprises me isn’t an SA favorite with an active thread.

Trials Rising got absolute dogshit support and has its flaws but it’s still a real good moment to moment game.

For Honor follows the time tested and true method of releasing new characters who are better than the rest of the cast, with new mechanics, available for real money or in game currency, then actually balancing the new character (s) months later.

And trying to learn to fight a character when you can't even try the moveset or mechanics is not very much fun.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Chaos Theory is GOATed forever and you can play it at absurd resolution on the Series X... win

oh poo poo? I know what I'm doing soon

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

All modern Ubisoft games would benefit from significant editing.

I would posit it's the opposite: they all suffer from significant overediting to the extent that all creativity is snuffed out and they follow the same ubisodt cookie cutter open world design rules.

The thing is when ubisoft isn't making an open world game then their studios produce genuinely great and engaging stuff.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Far Cry 4 was a straight up clone of Far Cry 3 with the white saviour aspect filed off, but Far Cry 5 was a little bit different structurally, and 6 is quite different in a lot of ways. 5 annoyed the poo poo out of me with its forced story progression segments but 6 has been pretty good about staying out of my way so far. I like the toys you get to play with.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
FC5 was frustrating in a billion different ways, and it started before it was even released — when they came in hot insinuating their game was going to be a critical look at far-right America and then pulled waaay the gently caress back when they realized the world and discourse of early 2017 was considerably different from the one in which the game started development.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Volte posted:

5 annoyed the poo poo out of me with its forced story progression segments

HIT ‘EM WITH THE BLISS BULLETS!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing about 6 that really offended me was that I know of course enemies in FPS's have health bars, but keep that poo poo hidden behind the curtain. It's impossible to suspend disbelief with them up.

(I'm sure someone will tell me there was an option to turn them off in settings)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BisterdDave posted:

Nobody plays Far Cry games for the story, and if you do then you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

the only one of played much of, 4, had an honestly pretty racist story which also forced me to watch all of it because absolutely every cutscene and dialogue etc was unskippable. it also did the thing where the bad guy is supposed to be cartoonishly evil but actually the faction you work with is way, way more horrible in every way. also the dialogue is delivered very awkwardly with lots of pauses and poo poo lol.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My biggest problem with 4 is that they charged full price for this game that ended after 10 minutes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

veni veni veni posted:

There was a lot about Far Cry 2 that was poo poo but it was sort of an interesting game. Far Cry 3 was pretty good, but it was pretty much the birth of Ubisoft using the same, increasingly bland approach with every game.

yeah FC2's constant respawns should have been implemented better but it's probably the only time one of those open Ubisoft worlds has felt legitimately hostile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Toaster Beef posted:

FC5 was frustrating in a billion different ways, and it started before it was even released — when they came in hot insinuating their game was going to be a critical look at far-right America and then pulled waaay the gently caress back when they realized the world and discourse of early 2017 was considerably different from the one in which the game started development.
I guess I never saw any of that early insinuation but I dunno how anyone could have interpreted it as a look at modern day far-right America at all. It's a story about an insane prepper cult and the main bad guy is basically hipster David Koresh.