Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ubisoft likes to put the aesthetics of hot political topics in their games without actually doing anything with them, which has been a complaint about their games for a while, i think the Division gmaes had similar complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ubisoft likes to put the aesthetics of hot political topics in their games without actually doing anything with them, which has been a complaint about their games for a while, i think the Division gmaes had similar complaints
Even aesthetically, FC5 doesn't have much of a political aspect to it at all beyond the background "the world is at the brink of nuclear destruction" poo poo you can hear on the radio. I guess it's supposed to put a bit of a spin on the preppers' craziness because at least the thing they say they are preparing for is really happening. It was still probably the most structurally awkward Far Cry game with the least coherent story.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the deus ex remake sort of attempted to have a political bent to it but ultimately just came off like some kind of confused outsider art lol. especially the Detroit stuff. it's not like that particular aspect is unique to Ubisoft. it's more like that these creatively bankrupt design by committee games are everywhere and Ubisoft makes nothing but those, so they're easy to poo poo on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Larry Parrish posted:

the deus ex remake sort of attempted to have a political bent to it but ultimately just came off like some kind of confused outsider art lol. especially the Detroit stuff.

yeah it's like, i'm not a "keep politics out of games" dipshit but i definitely object to putting the aesthetics of Hot Button Issues in your game if you're not going to actually do anything to them because it just comes off as wanting to give your game buzz but not wanting to actually say anything

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway if you legitimately like those games and prefer them over others you should be whipped with rubber hoses. same for marvel movies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Division copied the covid pandemic four years before it even happened :haw:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Larry Parrish posted:

anyway if you legitimately like those games and prefer them over others you should be whipped with rubber hoses. same for marvel movies.

What about marvel video games?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett posted:

What about marvel video games?

entombed within the earth along with the developers

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

1glitch0 posted:

High on Life is good so far. At the first boss. If you don't like Justin Roiland's humor you won't like it but if you do it's pretty fun!
https://twitter.com/alyssa_merc/status/1602687551952883714?s=46&t=V6YXwDFdj3Jaxh3B9DvJsw

:goofy:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's some serious loving aids lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
See the difference is when a movie makes fun of lovely technique like in a mel Gibson movie or something it's still preformed better than some c-tier amateur piece of poo poo. It adds to the comedy with the contrast. But in game if you make a joke about some lovely game thing, you still have to have a lovely game thing for them to play or the joke doesn't work.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also is that the only kind of dialogue that dipshit can write or what.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Larry Parrish posted:

Endgame is legitimately my favorite movie. Go gently caress yourself.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, the "I'm going to both do the bad thing and also point it out for comic value" maneuver. Classic.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lammasu posted:

So, apparently the Rabbi Bill Clinton kid was a groyper that has been on Info Wars. So yeah.

Lammasu posted:

The puzzle pieces are falling into place.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it would be epic if the talking gun said something like "heeeey sexy lady opp oppa gangnam style"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ErrEff posted:

Ah, the "I'm going to both do the bad thing and also point it out for comic value" maneuver. Classic.

Far Cry: Blood Dragon did this with an over-long limited controls tutorial that made multiple friends of mine bounce off it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

American McGay posted:

The puzzle pieces are falling into place.

real 'and you. did. NOTHING' style energy here.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twerk from Home posted:

Far Cry: Blood Dragon did this with an over-long limited controls tutorial that made multiple friends of mine bounce off it.

i actually liked blood dragon and still listen to the soundtrack sometimes but it's like they designed that game to piss you off on purpose.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the sin of blood dragon is that it was a completely standard game that was dressed up as something it wasnt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first thirty minutes of high on life riffs on such daring topics as “the crouch button” and “intrusive pop up ads.” it’s not even comedy because there’s no punchline. they show you a thing and expect a laugh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it sounds (and that clip is) exactly like those annoying rear end meta advertisements that are like ha ha. We know nobody likes ads. But,

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
High On Life has the entirety of Tammy and the T-Rex on it. Anyone that doesn't love this game is a God damned communist.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lammasu posted:

High On Life has the entirety of Tammy and the T-Rex on it. Anyone that doesn't love this game is a God damned communist.

Fallout 3 reference. Nice

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I seriously just came here to say that I started playing the game, saw the clip playing on the TV in the game. Googled to find out that Tammy and the T-Rex is actually a real film and ended up watching the whole drat thing.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Larry Parrish posted:

i actually liked blood dragon and still listen to the soundtrack sometimes but it's like they designed that game to piss you off on purpose.

drat this is a spot-on take on blood dragon

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lammasu posted:

Movies that glorify billionaires as paragons of heroism suck, OP. They should depict them as psychos instead imo.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Larry Parrish posted:

See the difference is when a movie makes fun of lovely technique like in a mel Gibson movie or something it's still preformed better than some c-tier amateur piece of poo poo. It adds to the comedy with the contrast. But in game if you make a joke about some lovely game thing, you still have to have a lovely game thing for them to play or the joke doesn't work.

I’m guessing the game makes fun of it and has the player do it once as part of the gag. If it repeats the same gag then I’d agree it’s stupid.

I got through the first boss and the game is fine so far, definitely geared towards a younger generation that would find these self referencing bits unique and novel.

Although the gun complaining about your lack of double jump was pretty funny.

if you don’t like Mortys voice or style then you don’t need to tell everyone every time the game is mentioned.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hey morty i turned myself into a video game!! i'm video game rick!!!!!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

teagone posted:

Movies that glorify billionaires as paragons of heroism suck, OP. They should depict them as psychos instead imo.

I imagine you going up too little kids and slapping the Batman toys out of their hands.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lammasu posted:

I imagine you going up too little kids and slapping the Batman toys out of their hands.

are you a little kid with a Batman toy right now

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TheScott2K posted:

are you a little kid with a Batman toy right now

Does it matter? Still glorifying billionaires.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Avengers were paid in company scrip and had to shop at the Avengers store in the basement. Sad!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lammasu posted:

There's a difference between a little kid not knowing the difference and playing with Batman toys vs a (I'm assuming) grown-rear end person claming Endgame to be their favorite movie. Lol. Not knocking you or anything for liking the film. Just saying I think the movie and Tony Stark SUCK.

[edit] Also, even Batman in some cartoon depictions were self-aware enough to have him say that he's a dude with lots of issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctElF0zCi24

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 14, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
how has this much of a reddit person apparently been on this site for three and a half years now

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Escobarbarian posted:

how has this much of a reddit person apparently been on this site for three and a half years now
So yeah.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Escobarbarian posted:

brother, this entire website is full of super reddit rear end posting and takes

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
why do people assume goons are somehow inherently better than or immune to sucking? We have different moderation and posting styles than reddit, but goons pile on in the same stupid ways every other online community does, we were just dumb enough to pay for the privilege.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah I love that goons will poo poo on roliand and then unironically quote dril tweets like it's the first time that jokes ever been made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part of the avengers guy is he's probably like 50 years old like half this website is.