Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

It is, however, required by law that when ever you put on the Lobster gloves you try to click them together, and do the "whoob woob woob woob" Zoidberg sound.
To this day my kids want to do the pinch check when they put mittens on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

evil_bunnY posted:

To this day my kids want to do the pinch check when they put mittens on.

The kids are alright

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had a puncture this morning in freezing temps. Brand new Schwalbe winter marathon PLUS tire, new and exciting failure mode:

Never had this happen before. The old non-PLUS schwalbe tires would fail when the studs worked themselves out on the inside after a few thousand kilometers, but this is something else. All I can think of is that I trashed the tire when I had the snakebite two weeks ago on a dislodged manhole cover. If not that it has to be some kind of manufacturing defect. Also flats really suck when it's cold and you forgot to replace the work gloves in the toolkit from last roadside repair.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Invalido posted:

I had a puncture this morning in freezing temps. Brand new Schwalbe winter marathon PLUS tire, new and exciting failure mode:

Never had this happen before. The old non-PLUS schwalbe tires would fail when the studs worked themselves out on the inside after a few thousand kilometers, but this is something else. All I can think of is that I trashed the tire when I had the snakebite two weeks ago on a dislodged manhole cover. If not that it has to be some kind of manufacturing defect. Also flats really suck when it's cold and you forgot to replace the work gloves in the toolkit from last roadside repair.

You're well on your way to studded tires!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Safety Dance posted:

You're well on your way to studded tires!

It already was a studded tire. He's showing that the stud failed and punctured through to the inside.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Had 5000 miles on my first set of Marathon+, never had any flat. I think it was 2.2" wide

Now I am going with fat tire mr tuffie tire liner + flatout sealant. I didn't want to get a fat tire bike, but most of the ebike I was shopping only have fat tire option, so I said gently caress it and went fat tire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bicievino posted:

It already was a studded tire. He's showing that the stud failed and punctured through to the inside.

Whoops! My mistake!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I had the same failure, got a refund on the tire because it was only a few months old and went with a different brand. If you can I'd suggest you do the same, this isn't all that uncommon.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

EvilJoven posted:

I had the same failure, got a refund on the tire because it was only a few months old and went with a different brand. If you can I'd suggest you do the same, this isn't all that uncommon.

Thanks, I'm gonna try to get a refund or at least a replacement , hopefully from a different batch. Was your failure on a winter marathon+ as well?

I've run this tire for many winters, and in my experience that doesn't look right at all. I've torn a bunch of studs out of the tire already in different places too, while the front tire looks fine. On this particular bike the rear has a pretty hard life but the previous exact same model tire aged with grace and didn't have stud failures like this one at all. Not excited about changing brands since all the other kinds I've tried have been worse than my usual Schwalbe experience. It's not like there's a huge selection on the market either.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Mine was a regular winter marathon but when I worked in bikes we saw that happen to both types.

Get some 45n Gravdals or Xerxes. They seem good.

It's a shame Conti discontinued the Nordic spikes I really like mine but the studs are ground down to almost nothing at this point. I hear their non studded top contact winter tires suck.

I'd get some Gravdals myself but I'm done with winter commuting. It's not the cold it's the fact that post Covid the mean drivers are worse and last winter I spent too many commutes dealing with hostile drivers.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That sucks. I'm fortunate enough that I don't really have to share space with cars to any significant degree on my commute. The biggest issues they cause me are their blinding headlights in the dark and the occasional spray shower when it's raining. Pedestrians and other riders are a different story, but they only slow me down and won't murder me.
I've tried continentals but as you said the studs were subpar. I've ran Nokian and Suomis after they changed name. Good studs and good grip when new but I had an explosive rupture at spec pressure on a Suomi, sounded like a gunshot and scared me more than a little. Not to mention the no-name chinesium ones from the local harbor freight equivalent.

Never heard of 45Nrth as a brand before. They're hard to find here but they exist. Interestingly enough googling it lead me to to find a consumer test of winter bike tires from 2018 (something I've never seen before) where the verdict was more or less "meh" FWIW. What makes it even more tricky is finding tires for my e-bakfiets which has uncommon dimensions at 20" front and 24" rear. On my 29er there's plenty to choose from though. Linky to the test btw, guess one could google lens it for translation from swedish maybe: https://www.testfakta.se/sites/default/files/2018-10/Grafik_cykeldack%28181018%29.pdf

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

45nth is a QBP brand, I don't think they have nearly as much of a presence in europe as in north america.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah 45nth is a pain to get.

IMHE schwalbes *are not* durable but they're the only tire (when you get the high stud count) that combines decent rollin with actual studs near centerline, which are an absolute must on hardpack or soft ice. I just bite the bullet and get a new set every few years. And it's one of the few brands that sells 20" and 26" tires.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah 45nth is a pain to get.

IMHE schwalbes *are not* durable but they're the only tire (when you get the high stud count) that combines decent rollin with actual studs near centerline, which are an absolute must on hardpack or soft ice. I just bite the bullet and get a new set every few years. And it's one of the few brands that sells 20" and 26" tires.

poo poo, they even make Brompton size winter tires.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya it really is sometimes a 'least worst option' situation but that failure mode is common enough I'd go with pretty much anything else if possible. I just checked and Conti apparently decided that their non studded tires do indeed suck rear end so they now have a studded version called the Contact Spike and Terrene has a 700x38 called the Griswold that has 2 rows of studs and you can go to 4 if you decide it's needful.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I'm on my fourth(?) winter of daily riding on Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros. I used my last pair for three years (from first frost to gravel cleanup), and they only got switched out in advance because the studs were starting to get worn down. They're kind of "baggy" in the sidewalls, which is not a type of tire I'm used to, but they didn't develop any significant cracking. My winter bike is outdoors year-round, and Stockholm salts and gravels their bike paths, so I'm ok with 4-5 years on a pair of tires.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/spike-reader/ice-spiker-pro

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ice Spikers don't have the issue with the studs cutting through the casing like the Marathon Winters because the studs are in the blocks themselves. They're pretty good if your bike can fit them.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just tried bar mitts after about a decade of winter commuting. -5C, 45 minute ride.

Pro:
-Toasty fingers with just thin gloves underneath

Con:
-Getting back on the bar after signaling turns is fiddly now so I signal less and spend more time riding one-handed = less safe
-gets in the way when pushing the bike around
-muffles the bell so it's worthless (have electric horn too which still works)

Verdict: 6/10 will use again.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Counterpoint: Bells have been worthless for nearly a decade

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Nearly worthless. Every once in a while I come across a pedestrian without headphones. It's nice being able to ding the bell before escalating to the horn of there's time. Beeping causes confusion and scares people while a bell unequivocally means "bicycle" in people's minds and isn't percieved as aggressive in my experience.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

really feeling the cold snap in Europe. it's my 3rd winter in central Switzerland, but the first time I woke up to my bike lock frozen shut. had to haul my it back up into my apartment to quickly defrost the lock with a heat gun, but neglected to check the shifters so I ended up riding fixie all day today

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Freezing temps are always an issue, moreso when the bike sits outside or in cold storage. For cables I can not recommend this gadget enough:

It sits somewhere in the middle of the cable (preferably low down I think) and makes displacing any water in the cable a one minute job using WD-40 or similar. On my bakfiets which almost always lives outside I need to spray the shifter cable regularly (depending on weather) and I wouldn't manage without it.

I had a different cold related problem with the bakfiets too last week. -8C and my gearless hub motor was frozen solid. Really solid. When I opened it up there was a tiny amount of water in there - just drops really, but enough to jam up the works - the gap between rotor and stator is sub-millimeter so I guess it doesn't take much. Dried it out and replaced the axle seals since I had some spares on hand, hopefully it won't happen again anytime soon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is it called? Reverse image search didn’t work.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

kimbo305 posted:

What is it called? Reverse image search didn’t work.

https://www.biketown.se/sv/articles/2.202.17638/shimano-t-koppling-nexus-vaxelvajer

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Sadly I can't find it on amazon or similar, it seems like near unobtanium. Searching for RSMNX10 brings up a few results but nothing spectacular. Sadly it only fits shifter cables. A colleage who has cable brakes could really use some, but the outer sheath is to thick to fit in the t-piece. The ends of the t-piece could probably be drilled out a bit I suppose, but the real solution for brakes freezing is to go hydraulic IMO.

Perhaps I should add that once fitted, it helps a bunch to have the right kind of nozzle on the spray can. The thin, long plastic straws are usually to skinny to seal well in the spray port. I've had better results with the ones that look sort of like this:

The port hole (plugged by the allen screw) is conical and once you get a good seal to the spray can it's usually possible to force lube in there until it comes out both ends of the cable even if there's a little bit of ice in there. Otherwise I have to thaw the cable first.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Invalido posted:

I had a different cold related problem with the bakfiets too last week. -8C and my gearless hub motor was frozen solid. Really solid. When I opened it up there was a tiny amount of water in there - just drops really, but enough to jam up the works - the gap between rotor and stator is sub-millimeter so I guess it doesn't take much. Dried it out and replaced the axle seals since I had some spares on hand, hopefully it won't happen again anytime soon.

I am curious, can you deal with the freezing by taking a hair dryer or heat gun to the motor? Gearless hub motor like a direct drive?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am curious, can you deal with the freezing by taking a hair dryer or heat gun to the motor? Gearless hub motor like a direct drive?

even if it was safe for the motor, wouldn't you risk it happening again later in the day if it's cold enough? taking it apart sounds like a pain in the rear end, but also seems like a better move long-term

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

stephenthinkpad posted:

Probably. I poured some warm water on it (careful not to get any on the axle seals) and got it going just to see if it would work, which it did - I wanted to verify that it was indeed internal icing locking it up before taking it apart. Gearless is the same as direct drive, yes.
Hub motors are easy to disassemble generally, there are YouTubes showing how it's done though the direct drive ones are a bit scary due to the powerful permanent magnets unless you have a large enough three armed puller so you can do it slowly with control.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

webcams for christ posted:

even if it was safe for the motor, wouldn't you risk it happening again later in the day if it's cold enough? taking it apart sounds like a pain in the rear end, but also seems like a better move long-term

But during the afternoon commute hour, the temperature pick up a lot. I now have an ebike with enough battery to do the commute roundtrip (20AH), so I only charge at work, where we have ebike/e-motorcycle/scooter charging outlets outdoor. I charge from 12 noon to 3pm during the warmest period in the winter. Supposedly you don't want to charge lithium battery below freezing temperature. New York only go down to a few degrees below freezing in the coldest days so I don't have to worry about motor freezing.

Invalido posted:

Probably. I poured some warm water on it (careful not to get any on the axle seals) and got it going just to see if it would work, which it did - I wanted to verify that it was indeed internal icing locking it up before taking it apart. Gearless is the same as direct drive, yes.
Hub motors are easy to disassemble generally, there are YouTubes showing how it's done though the direct drive ones are a bit scary due to the powerful permanent magnets unless you have a large enough three armed puller so you can do it slowly with control.

I guess I would do it if my work depends on it like I am a full time uber delivery man, but for commute purpose I would just skip the coldest days. I have a similar story about winter freezing the equipment. I had a portable lithium tire inflator that uses type of cheap LCD display that stop working in cold weather. You can still use it but you can see the air pressure. Didn't know cheap LCD screen does that until I encountered it. Went back to normal 12v car powered air pumps. Turned out I just need too replace the "air chuck" to fix the old pump.

I am still waiting for China to come up with a big gadget that can 1, does engine start, 2 does air pump 3 does vacuuming 4 has a large replaceable lithium battery, that will replace all my car gadgets.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 13, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
FYI for freezing cables run some lock deicer down the housing it helps some.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a recommendation for a helmet with integrated lights? Are there any that are worth using?

I need a new helmet anyway and I've seen some of those setups around town that look useful. Currently I've got a removable light mounted to my standard helmet but it's really clunky.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The only good use for a helmet light is to point in the eyes of people with helmet lights.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Groda posted:

The only good use for a helmet light is to point in the eyes of people with helmet lights.

Yep, offroad only.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
They don't come with adjustmentable lights?

My add-on helmet light has a nice pivot feature and I regularly check to make sure I'm not blinding drivers.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I just got a helmet light. I turn it off on the MUP but full blaze on the road.

(The rear light is really the point - with how tall trucks are I wanted a taillight higher up)

bicievino fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 14, 2022

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

i do like a good forward-facing white light on my helmet just to project over parked cars to people pulling out of side streets, the light doesn’t have to be at all bright to get the job done.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Gonna do one better and get a LASER helmet so I can gaze at cagers and instantly blind them for life.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Absolutely hate helmet lights. Utterly anti-social and I have several considered getting my own only to be used against twats who leave their on at all times and blind everyone they look at.
(I had one for night time snowboarding that would probably blind them for a few hours, that I considered using, but switching it on and off was a bit of a pain).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the idea of marker lights on a helmet but ya if you aren't trail riding at night don't project anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All you need is shoegoo a USB rear red light to the back of the helmet. My front fender already got a bunch of lights I don't need another one on my head.