Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If the lead designer was the guy who said that just turning the game off is a valid story branch then I think I hate him too

I got the supersecret special ending of never even installing the game.

Did that for a lot of games, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How many Americans have you killed today?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Real-life cassowaries tend to be pretty chill as long as you don't approach their egg-mound.
(n.b. cassowary egg-mounds are nearly invisible in the jungle until you're right on top of them)

Cassowaries are nature’s land mines

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Me playing Far Cry 3 a decade ago: "Holy gently caress, this game has dinosaurs, what the heck"

Me looking up its name to check if it was a real creature at some point: "Oh, of course this would be a thing in Australia"

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Kennel posted:

How many Americans have you killed today?

not enough

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That new justin roiland game High on Life is on gamepass and it's actually.. not terrible? I do not like Rick and Morty but this feels less like that although still obviously very much a justin roiland thing with intentionally obnoxious characters and enough profanity that it has me reconsidering saying gently caress so much. A couple genuine laugh out loud moments in the first hour or so alone. My biggest issues with it right now are technical; there doesn't seem to be DLSS support so it runs kinda lovely and there's also no adjustable FOV so it feels really zoomed in if you're used to a wider FOV. I wouldn't pay $60 for it but for a gamepass thing I might actually see where this game goes, I'm digging it so far.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm playing Death Stranding right now and gently caress me when do developers finally learn to implement the "there's something new" notification in a useful way. All of them just make it a single stupid icon no matter how important or insignificant the notification is, meaning I've never done anything other than just clicking through all of them reading none. Example: I activate the terminal in the distribution center, there's a (!) icon on the private room. I load into the private room, look around and there's a (!) icon on the equipment. I click on the equipment and get a list of items, there's a (!) icon on the baseball cap. I click on the baseball cap and there are two new colors (!) available. gently caress. YOU.

Thanks for listening.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

explosivo posted:

That new justin roiland game High on Life is on gamepass and it's actually.. not terrible? I do not like Rick and Morty but this feels less like that although still obviously very much a justin roiland thing with intentionally obnoxious characters and enough profanity that it has me reconsidering saying gently caress so much. A couple genuine laugh out loud moments in the first hour or so alone. My biggest issues with it right now are technical; there doesn't seem to be DLSS support so it runs kinda lovely and there's also no adjustable FOV so it feels really zoomed in if you're used to a wider FOV. I wouldn't pay $60 for it but for a gamepass thing I might actually see where this game goes, I'm digging it so far.

Is there an option to specifically mute justin roiland and does it track this option and reports it back to the devs?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah they patched him in to Postal 2 with a bunch of pro-gamergate poo poo lol

He and the GG poo poo are part of the DLC they released when the game was a decade old and it took less than five years for that to become dated.

RWS are just edgelords.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Croccers posted:

Is there an option to specifically mute justin roiland and does it track this option and reports it back to the devs?

There are actually separate verbosity sliders for the gun and enemy chatter you can adjust.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

Don't you want to listen to his latest fetish???

When Kojima does it, its all roses and awards, when Roiland does it, its all DEAR GOD NO.....

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone remember that board game where you put things in box cars and then at the end you turn over a card and it turns out you were loading holocaust victims in the whole time. in like 2009 this was profound enough to generate 200 think pieces

i remember that game. it was designed by a lady named brenda brathwaite, who is now married to john romero

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PowerBeard posted:

Don't you want to listen to his latest fetish???

When Kojima does it, its all roses and awards, when Roiland does it, its all DEAR GOD NO.....

who could possibly work out the difference between these two men

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress right, Oliver North

What's the worst 'cameo' or whatever like that? I'm still hard pressed to go past Ken Williams bringing in Daryl loving Gates for Police Quest

Call of Duty also had Kevin Spacey in one of the games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Srice posted:

Call of Duty also had Kevin Spacey in one of the games.

Isn't that the one from the "Press F to pay respects" meme?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it is. for some reason that game's campaign got a bunch of praise. there are some cool levels but the Black Ops 2 campaign is a lot better

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thank you Team Returnal by delivering a game for the Real Gamers®.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game has a *lot* of particle effects, but I have no idea why it would need 32 gigs for that stuff. It's an unreal engine game so I'm naturally worried about micro stutters on pc. I played 50 hours on PS5 and am willing to double dip if the port is good and retains all the haptics on the ps5 controller, they are loving amazing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Usually excessive RAM usage is a sign of extremely poor optimization.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all don't have 32GB ram?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm reading up on the patch notes for this Witcher 3 update and lol they just baked in a handful of community mods into this release to make their game better. It will be better for it but still pretty funny when most of the patchnotes are detailing the mods they're using.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm glad they're fixing this because it's been bothering me for three years

Fixed an issue where clearing the Ruined Inn Abandoned Site situated on the southern shore of Ard Skellig was not possible in certain scenarios.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

I'm reading up on the patch notes for this Witcher 3 update and lol they just baked in a handful of community mods into this release to make their game better. It will be better for it but still pretty funny when most of the patchnotes are detailing the mods they're using.

No reason to re-do the work when someone else has already done it.
I'm assuming they asked the mod maker's permission.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jack Trades posted:

It would be good of them to do that yeah but legally they probably don't have to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

sounds like they did

https://overclock3d.net/news/software/the_witcher_s_3_best_graphics_mod_may_be_added_to_the_game_s_next-gen_version/1

quote:

Halk Hogan, the creator of The Witcher 3's "HD Reworked Project NextGen" mod, has confirmed that he is in talks with CD Projekt red regarding a potential co-operation on The Witcher 3's upcoming Next-Generation version.

While nothing has been finalised, these talks could result in Halk Hogan's "HD Reworked Project NextGen" mod becoming an official part of The Witcher 3 on Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 5 and PC, transforming the game's visuals with enhanced textures, models and meshes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Any trip reports on the Master of Magic reboot?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

They said they have, and they're paying the mod makers too.

The mods that are being added to the base game are listed here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/292030/view/3642879552277333733

quote:

• The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project by HalkHogan
  • HD Monsters Reworked by Denroth
  • Immersive Real-time Cutscenes by teiji25
  • Nitpicker's Patch by chuckcash
  • World Map Fixes by Terg500
  • Added the mod Full Combat Rebalance 3 by Flash_in_the_flesh which includes balance changes and various fixes to gameplay. We took a curated approach to this mod, with some elements further tweaked from what you’ll find in the mod by default, while other elements were omitted.

Worth noting, this update is more than implementing some mods. They're doing a ton to update the game from the looks of it, just that these things seem to be a case of "someone else has already done the work, why not use it and pay them instead of doing it again?"

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CDPR got permission and paid the modders, IIRC. Honestly I wish way more games than this and I guess a couple Bethesda games would do the same.

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 13, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Piquai Souban posted:

Any trip reports on the Master of Magic reboot?

Seconding this. Also $40 seems steep. I heard it's mostly the same game but upgraded graphics?

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin

Jack Trades posted:

loving lmao

they using the same company that did that horrible horizon port?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Y'all don't have 32GB ram?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have the exceedingly untidy amount of 48GB of ram because i wanted 32 but my computer came with 16, and there was great deal on for two sticks of 16GB

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
32GB is a reasonable amount for a recommended specs sheet. The actual minimum is 16GB. You can get 32GB of RAM for like $100 at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

girl befriender posted:

they using the same company that did that horrible horizon port?

That was fixed in a couple months and now it's really solid, same with all the other Sony ports.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

returnal is a UE4 game so on the upside the engine is already mature on PC, but on the downside it might have the unreal shader stutter

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah at this point I guess Sony has earned some level of trust in their PC ports. If not on launch at least not to be quickly forgotten.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I have 32GB of RAM and I've never seen a game come anywhere close to utilizing it. Automation games like Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere can use 10GB+ on saves that are hundreds of hours long but those are keeping track of thousands of interlinked structures at once. A powerful GPU to put out PS5 level graphics is understandable but I don't know why a roguelike shooter would need that much memory.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, memory has become so dirt cheap that I upgraded to 32 a while back just so I don't have to worry about having a billion things running in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only game that's come close to using all 32 gigs is DCS VR but that's entirely because that game is the least optimized game.