Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Abhorrence posted:

Tweet is already gone. What was it?

Weird that he deleted it lol. It was Phyrexian Obliterator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
These lands fuckin' rule

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Was it even good in standard of old? You read this card and think "drat, this is a powerhouse". But when you play it, it either just died right away, nobody ever blocks it, and/or nobody ever attacks into it. All which seem powerful, but it often isn't the powerhouse you expect.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Hour posted:

These lands fuckin' rule

This rules

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
the full art phyrexian lands are making me weak in the knees

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1602730911312670720

This card would likely still be bad if you could get any mountain tbh.

I think Koth is powerful. I'm not sure there's a good home for it, but the card itself is good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

These look cool as hell too

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I think Koth is powerful. I'm not sure there's a good home for it, but the card itself is good.

Highly disagree. It doesn't do anything.

Sickening posted:

Was it even good in standard of old? You read this card and think "drat, this is a powerhouse". But when you play it, it either just died right away, nobody ever blocks it, and/or nobody ever attacks into it. All which seem powerful, but it often isn't the powerhouse you expect.

At the very worst it's a good SB card if there is a mono black deck in standard which there is now.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 13, 2022

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Junji Ito Elesh Norn!!!!!!!!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

GonSmithe posted:

Junji Ito Elesh Norn!!!!!!!!

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Highly disagree. It doesn't do anything.

At the very worst it's a good SB card if there is a mono black deck in standard which there is now.

I feel like if it put the land into play, it would have been an interesting card. As it stands, the most optimal play pattern is "come into play, kill a dude, next turn draw a mountain, next turn kill another dude?". That doesn't seem very powerful.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Elesh Norn is a bad commander because if she's cloned your deck is shut off. That Rabbit magician from Jumpstart is better than the Mother of Machines.

I hate that the Sun's cycle doesn't shuffle back in this time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
10 planeswalkers in the set.

Jace
Kaito
Kaya
Koth
Lukka
Nahiri
Nissa
Tyvar
Vraska
The Wandering Emperor

5 of them will be compleated, though we don't know which ones yet (concept art for all of them was posted).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1602736451505922048?s=46&t=oQmDslianCH-5Uq_wIAA-Q

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
As a soldiers player in standard Obliterator is scarier than Sheoldred

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
That Koth seems pretty terrible, and if there are a ton more planeswalkers in this set, than I suppose designed more with Limited in mind. He's pretty ok in Limited just as a repeatable way to destroy your opponents creatures and take Mountains out of your deck. I wonder if there's some sort of mono-color nod in this set as well.

Blue Sun's Twilight will absolutely crush me multiple times in Limited, that's one thing I can guarantee for sure.

Obliterator is objectively a powerful card but I just don't think there'll be a lot of room for another 4 mana creature in Black that doesn't immediately do anything when it hits the battlefield. I think Sheoldred still has that position on lock.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Elesh Norn being a better Panharmonicon AND an asymmetrical Torpor Orb in the command zone is making me REAL excited

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Whew these lands https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1602738854741491712?s=46&t=jlwWKMNn0y611SZO9RlKRw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I feel like if it put the land into play, it would have been an interesting card. As it stands, the most optimal play pattern is "come into play, kill a dude, next turn draw a mountain, next turn kill another dude?". That doesn't seem very powerful.

If you play it on curve it doesn't even kill their stupid Sheoldred. It sucks.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There's too many loving things coming out. I came back in Feb fully intending to buy a box of boosters and a fat pack for every set like I did 2009-2013. Now I don't even look at spoilers. How can I get excited when a product comes out, we enjoy it for about two weeks, and then we gently caress off from all that onto the next thing? WotC has convinced me not to buy any randomized sealed product whatsoever outside of Good Jumpstart. Not the intentionally-confusingly-named Other, Bad Jumpstart. Interesting precons and singles only for me, thanks. And with no official competitive support what do I even engage with outside of new product previews? Bleh. I'm venting because this fun thing I like shouldn't feel exhausting.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The set is subtitled 'All Will Be One' but there are a million variants of each card. Really makes you think

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

There's too many loving things coming out. I came back in Feb fully intending to buy a box of boosters and a fat pack for every set like I did 2009-2013. Now I don't even look at spoilers. How can I get excited when a product comes out, we enjoy it for about two weeks, and then we gently caress off from all that onto the next thing? WotC has convinced me not to buy any randomized sealed product whatsoever outside of Good Jumpstart. Not the intentionally-confusingly-named Other, Bad Jumpstart. Interesting precons and singles only for me, thanks. And with no official competitive support what do I even engage with outside of new product previews? Bleh. I'm venting because this fun thing I like shouldn't feel exhausting.

You don’t have to buy every supplementary product, and main sets come out at almost the exact same rate they used to (slightly increased).

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

big cummers ONLY posted:

They've started to acknowledge that and have delayed some products, we'll see what that means for the whole line next year.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
cant believe they put the card evaluation in the iron goblins name like that

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Iron Goblin is actually the Paradox version of Slobad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

my interaction with new magic poo poo is basically how long new draft formats last these days and that is pretty good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Koth seems bad but at least he’s kind of weird.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

Honestly I was like this for a bit and I went back to finding magic really enjoyable when I just stopped caring about anything that wasn't going to be the current or next draft format. All the other stuff is great for whoever wants it and if I ever want singles I will just get them, but as far as standard stuff goes it is the same rate of product pretty much as it has always been

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
please do note that this next set isn't coming out until february

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Were preview periods always this long? It just feels like there are new cards all the time, maybe more previews is what's contributing most heavily to that, along with preview periods for all the supplemental product as well

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

I get it. I'm coming to the realization that it's drat near impossible to keep up with everything and keep buying everything you want from every set, and it's better to just pick and choose. Like yeah Dominaria Remastered has a lot of cool stuff in it, but I'm honestly sick of overpriced reprint sets after getting burned real bad on 2X2, so I'm not buying any sealed product of that, period, because gently caress that. I may grab some singles if I can get them for cheap, but I'm sick of the constant printing of high demand staples in high price sets. And on the other hand, I haven't been too enthused on buying standard product all that much either, since imo Dominaria United and The Brothers' War aren't anywhere near as exciting as they could be (imagine if they put more of those high demand staples in those).

I don't even really buy that much commander product anymore when that's my format of choice these days, because it's just too expensive to buy everything I'd want-- I'll sometimes just buy a precon here or there if they look cool or have some cards I want in there.

I'm looking forward to Phyrexia because I think all the phyrexian stuff is cool and I really want that new Norn, but I probably won't go hard on it either.

Ironically the product I end up buying more than anything else are Secret Lairs because they've got cards I actually want in them and I'm guaranteed to get them, rather than roll the dice on sealed product. Sometimes I wish I liked playing limited so cracking packs seems less pointless, but at this point the less chaff I have, the better.

tl;dr: don't try to keep up with everything, just buy the things you know you'll use or enjoy and run with that imo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yup I'm with Framboise. Turns out that means I don't buy anything any more oh well!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Panharmommycon

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

big cummers ONLY posted:

Were preview periods always this long? It just feels like there are new cards all the time, maybe more previews is what's contributing most heavily to that, along with preview periods for all the supplemental product as well

i think they do teasers for the next set about the midpoint of the current set's lifespan, and then card reveals happen in the weeks leading up to the actual set release. the time between those points isn't ~technically~ spoiler season but people do fill it with speculation about the teaser cards so shrug

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Sickening posted:

It was printed in the same set as dismember.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sickening posted:

It was like 40 bucks for 6 months due to casual demand, and then it spiked to like 60 for a few weeks because someone played it in a zombies list that did well at an event. Then it dropped to like 5 bucks immediately after that deck stopped being popular. Competitive players actually move poo poo around the market while casual players don't, so when there was a sudden surge of them being offloaded as people stopped playing it in standard, the price cratered.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yup I'm with Framboise. Turns out that means I don't buy anything any more oh well!

It's funny cause I used to spend $500~ a year on sealed product and in 2023 I don't even know if there's a product I'll want. They used to have my money with every set like clockwork but now I'm buying even less, and the money I do spend is mostly straight to the LGS for singles and sleeves. Like I do want LotR cards but I can't even justify buying boosters for fun anymore when I don't draft. The value has never been good but my broken brain used to perceive it as good because I was having fun gambling. Now it's impossible for me to keep up so I just walk away.

Haven't seen many people talking about the new Jumpstart itt, how are yall liking it? We will be playing our first games with the packs I bought this weekend.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ultima66 posted:

It was like 40 bucks for 6 months due to casual demand, and then it spiked to like 60 for a few weeks because someone played it in a zombies list that did well at an event. Then it dropped to like 5 bucks immediately after that deck stopped being popular. Competitive players actually move poo poo around the market while casual players don't, so when there was a sudden surge of them being offloaded as people stopped playing it in standard, the price cratered.

It saw a pretty big spike when Innistrad dropped and Fight became a thing. With the amount of Fight mechanics these days and removal being a bit more expensive/conditional it could see some play.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's funny cause I used to spend $500~ a year on sealed product and in 2023 I don't even know if there's a product I'll want. They used to have my money with every set like clockwork but now I'm buying even less, and the money I do spend is mostly straight to the LGS for singles and sleeves. Like I do want LotR cards but I can't even justify buying boosters for fun anymore when I don't draft. The value has never been good but my broken brain used to perceive it as good because I was having fun gambling. Now it's impossible for me to keep up so I just walk away.

Yeah looking back at my purchases for all 2022 I only ended up getting:

4x eldraine draft boxes when they went on flash sale for $85 on amazon
1 case of six MH2 draft boxes when I felt they hit a good price on tcgplayer
The advent calendar secret lair

And I regret not getting a bunch of DMU draft boxes for $80 on black friday.

When I look at the rest of the product lineup I get this sort of feeling of revulsion idk. It feels like everything is whalebait or going so hard at the predatory slot machine gacha aspect of the game and it's offputting.

[quote]Haven't seen many people talking about the new Jumpstart itt, how are yall liking it? We will be playing our first games with the packs I bought this weekend.[/quote

People are fomoing this up to like $130 apparently so I'd stay away till it becomes more reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Why are they FOMOing when you can still get 2020 jumpstart for like $100? Is there something in the leaves suggesting they won't print enough? The EV isn't even as high as 2020, at least according to one single YouTube vid I watched