Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that he's terrified of having to re-live the fall of Apartheid, and that really contextualizes tweets like that.

I'm assuming Mars is his new Apartheid state he wants.

Lmao at a SCIENCE guy claiming Mars will be self-sustainable. Motherfucker, with what: sand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

AARD VARKMAN posted:

musk desperately wishes he was liked the way performers are liked, i bet he pushes for that poo poo himself

quote:

“Some Valley big shots have no idea how to react to the show,” Miller told me. “They can’t decide whether to be offended or flattered. And they’re mystified by the fact that actors have a kind of celebrity that they will never have—there’s no rhyme or reason to it, but that’s the way it is, and it kills them.” Miller met Musk at the after-party in Redwood City. “I think he was thrown by the fact that I wasn’t being sycophantic — which I couldn’t be, because I didn’t realize who he was at the time. He said, ‘I have some advice for your show,’ and I went, ‘No thanks, we don’t need any advice,’ which threw him even more. And then, while we’re talking, some woman comes up and says ‘Can I have a picture?’ and he starts to pose — it was kinda sad, honestly — and instead she hands the camera to him and starts to pose with me. It was, like, Sorry, dude, I know you’re a big deal — and, in his case, he actually is a big deal — but I’m the guy from ‘Yogi Bear 3-D,’ and apparently that’s who she wants a picture with.”

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that he's terrified of having to re-live the fall of Apartheid, and that really contextualizes tweets like that.

Isn't that the same as Putin's whole deal with being terrified to relive the fall of the Soviet Union/KGB? Seems like people get pretty cranky when they fall from the top of society.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

musks tweets are getting weirder and more incoherent

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think before Mars is self sustaining you have to make it be able to sustain at all?

Kind of skipping a step here

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1602734819225571328

I think I've phrased it before, but I'll do so again. This idiot seriously believes unless lovely fuckwits like the Babylon Bee can post transphobic jokes unencumbered on a lovely hellsite, humanity is in grave danger, and this belief is genuinely consuming him at the cost of everything else he's doing.

lol apartheid dying and getting hosed broke his brains hard.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wish i could do whatever drug i wanted to all day and think i am saving civilization by posting on twitter.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mars is never gonna be self-sustainable. A human presence on Mars would be permanently (or centuries if you're optimistic) and hideously dependent on Earth for its very existence. Terraforming it as idiots like Musk imagines is basically impossible as it stands now and if technology improves to the point where it becomes feasible, almost certainly a waste of time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 13, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This motherfucker is stark raving mad

The booing broke his brain

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i wish i could do whatever drug i wanted to all day and think i am saving civilization by posting on twitter.

How much Adderall do you think I need before I suffer delusions that I'm basically Paul Atreides and neonazis are Fremen?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol: :psyduck:

"Until Mars is self sustainable?" "Civilization was collapsing" because young people can post on Instagram and Twitter wasn't entirely a cesspit?

What the gently caress are you talking about you Deranged Boer?

Civilization is collapsing is referencing birth rate decline which is code for anti-LGBT because if they don’t produce kids then they are useless. This is more of his techno-fascist-eugenics cult philosophy that he was raised in and continues to perpetuate.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

hemale in pain posted:

musks tweets are getting weirder and more incoherent

I think he's doing lots of drugs.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I missed that, thanks!

Oh gently caress, that both helps this make a lot more sense and also makes it so much worse.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elon left before Apartheid fell apart didn't he? He dodged conscription.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Randarkman posted:

Mars is never gonna be self-sustainable. A human presence on Mars would be permanently (or centuries if you're optimistic) and hideously dependent on Earth for its very existence. Terraforming as idiots like Musk imagines is basically impossible as it stands now and if technologically improves to the point where it becomes feasible, almost certainly a waste of time.

Yup. It is more technologically, economically, and operationally feasible at this point to reverse global warming, stabilize earth, and create a truly sustainable society here than it is to terraform Mars. And we sure as hell can’t/aren’t doing that.

You have to be a complete idiot or believe we’re going to find magical alien technology on Mars to truly believe terraforming it is the solution. Or both, probably lots of overlap in those groups.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol: :psyduck:

"Until Mars is self sustainable?" "Civilization was collapsing" because young people can post on Instagram and Twitter wasn't entirely a cesspit?

What the gently caress are you talking about you Deranged Boer?

Get in

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im usually pretty hesitant to accuse anyone of "progressive virtue signaling" but i would say that start trek discovery is definitely a tv show that indulges in it, but i also remember there was an episode in season 2 or 3 in which musk is casually namedropped in the same context as like the wright brothers and whoever invented the warp drive, and i wonder if they are going to stealthily go in and edit that out

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Does he really think Mars colonization at a terraforming level is feasible in his lifetime?

That he is going do it is even more insane.

I wonder how this latest blast of insanity will affect Tesla stock...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Saltpowered posted:

Yup. It is more technologically, economically, and operationally feasible at this point to reverse global warming, stabilize earth, and create a truly sustainable society here than it is to terraform Mars. And we sure as hell can’t/aren’t doing that.

You have to be a complete idiot or believe we’re going to find magical alien technology on Mars to truly believe terraforming it is the solution. Or both, probably lots of overlap in those groups.
Terraforming Mars is like fantasizing about building a new car from a pile of iron ore, some sand, and the sapling of a rubber tree, in response to a mechanic telling you that your current car needs to have its tires replaced and if you could please stop driving it into a ditch every time to avoid a two minute detour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know what, I miss the salad days of crying laughing emoji spam, before "we need to Marshall the proles into forced breeding programs"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Earwicker posted:

im usually pretty hesitant to accuse anyone of "progressive virtue signaling" but i would say that start trek discovery is definitely a tv show that indulges in it, but i also remember there was an episode in season 2 or 3 in which musk is casually namedropped in the same context as like the wright brothers and whoever invented the warp drive, and i wonder if they are going to stealthily go in and edit that out

To be fair, the evil Captain from the Mirror universe mentions him in this context, which I'm sure is unintentional but loving lol is it more relevant now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mobby_6kl posted:

I think they might be finally making... at least one of them?

It's already about to run some guy over and it's still just a chassis. Truly the most advanced Tesla.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Saltpowered posted:

Civilization is collapsing is referencing birth rate decline which is code for anti-LGBT because if they don’t produce kids then they are useless. This is more of his techno-fascist-eugenics cult philosophy that he was raised in and continues to perpetuate.

Ooooh, I can't believe I forgot about all his horseshit fretting about declining birthrates. Interesting, I never read any of that as anti-LGBT - but every time I saw one of his tweets bringing it up, I always safely assumed that he's specifically worried about the lighter-skinned parts of humanity not having enough kids.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Earwicker posted:

Season 1 episode 4, lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He believes it is his duty as a rich white man to impregnate women and have as many children as possible.

None of them should be his responsibility though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Terraforming Mars is a popular idea because it’s cool and new. Just you exploring and doing new poo poo. Fixing current real problems is boring. It’s no more than that

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Saltpowered posted:

get your rear end to mars!!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Man I said to take Matt Damon with them he REALLY experienced how to survive on Mars.

-something Elon probably really thinks

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Last I heard, the big magic secret to terraforming Mars was "introduce a shitton of carbon dioxide to its atmosphere," which is demonstrably something we're capable of at our current level of technology, and only a stupid impractical solution for all the many mundane reasons rather than the "this is literally not possible" one.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Binary Logic posted:

I remember that Richard Branson used to do wacky stunts to promote his new airline, and he's been on some comedy shows. Maybe it's the accent but unlike Musk, he actually seems to have a sense of humour.
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/flights/2013/05/13/richard-bransons-best-publicity-stunts/2155245/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05h8VK0N4J8

Branson is probably as big an arsehole as other billionaires in most respects, but he comes across as a functional and fairly likeable human being. Virgin Records were famous for signing up artists that other record companies wouldn't touch. After his record company took off he bought a gay nightclub in London in the early 80s, which went on to become one of the most influential drivers of the late 80s/90s rave scene.

He's done loads of wacky stuff and weird world record attempts that cost a fraction of his wealth, and seems to have had a great time despite looking like a weird little gnome who seems more suited to playing an obscure instrument in a period folk band.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i only want the mars future if its going to be like total recall. all the other mars movies/books/etc are pretty boring. sorry kim stanly robinson, you tried.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well, fixing current problems involves possibly giving up something or spending money or not spending money elsewhere, basically making some hard choices about solutions. But people can fantasize about Musk creating an edenic Mars without any cost to themselves, shocking it captures the imagination more.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
People forgot that Musk was very open about believing that we're all living in a simulation. Paired with reality creation beliefs, Musk is simply trying to game the system for us NPCs since he is the Main Character. The closest one can get to acting on a "simulation" here is being a billionaire, and I have no idea what his end goal is here anymore. Either way, we're all just a bunch of useless NPCs to him.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
human conciousness is gone

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Terraforming Mars is a popular idea because it’s cool and new. Just you exploring and doing new poo poo. Fixing current real problems is boring. It’s no more than that

I mean, is it even that? How can it be cool and new if it's practically impossible with the current state of spacefaring and space exploration? And if we were at a state where we could direct get ice from crashing comets into the planet or transport ice from the rings of Saturn or building a giant space mirror to melt the polar ice caps, even that does not get around the fact that the atmosphere is closer to a vacuum than the vacuums produced for and used in industry and research here on Earth, that there is no magnetic field and that the weak gravity will be inconvenient for all kinds of human activity and habitation as well as make travel and transport off the thing much more expensive. If we were at the point where we could do any of those things and were establishing permanent human habitats in the Solar System, we'd be better off just building artificial habitats in planetary orbits, on the loving moon or out of asteroids.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 13, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Why would anyone go to mars other than to open the door to the human face on mars and get in an alien space ship to travel the galaxy? Dumb rear end!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I mean, is it even that? How can it be cool and new if it's practically impossible with the current state of spacefaring and space exploration? And if we were at a state where we could direct get ice from crashing comets into the planet or transport ice from the rings of Saturn or building a giant space mirror to melt the polar ice caps, even that does not get around the fact that the atmosphere is closer to a vacuum than the vacuums produced for and used in industry and research here on Earth, that there is no magnetic field and that the weak gravity will be inconvenient for all kinds of human activity and habitation as well as make travel and transport off the thing much more expensive. If we were at the point where we could do any of those things and were establishing permanent human habitats in the Solar System, we'd be better off just building artificial habitats in planetary orbits, on the loving moon or out of asteroids.

I think it being impossible makes it cooler. You doing something no one else can? Hell yeah

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Hahahahhahahhaaa

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1602734819225571328

I think I've phrased it before, but I'll do so again. This idiot seriously believes unless lovely fuckwits like the Babylon Bee can post transphobic jokes unencumbered on a lovely hellsite, humanity is in grave danger, and this belief is genuinely consuming him at the cost of everything else he's doing.

Society is collapsing! People are starving! Ecological collapse! Climate Change!

I'm going to buy a social media company instead of solving these issues. I am very clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Last I heard, the big magic secret to terraforming Mars was "introduce a shitton of carbon dioxide to its atmosphere," which is demonstrably something we're capable of at our current level of technology, and only a stupid impractical solution for all the many mundane reasons rather than the "this is literally not possible" one.

That's being overly flattering to our capabilities. Mars's atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide, but it's the major component of an atmosphere that is hardly there. Raising the level of CO2 in Earth's atmospehre by a noticeable amount where it contributes to the greenhouse effect (which needs a substantial atmosphere to begin with to function) and producing enough CO2 on Mars in order for it to have a substantial atmosphere and enough CO2 for a potent greenhouse effect, are orders of magnitude apart.