Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Explained my plan to take a few months of parental leave when my wife's is over in February to family members in two separate conversations this weekend.

The response from both was: "...Why?"

The surface answer is because we couldn't get a daycare slot until May and we want to avoid subjecting her to the COVID/RSV/flu plague as long as possible. I know it's a generational thing, but I was legit stunned by the question. Why the gently caress wouldn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I get similar baffled looks when I tell older people I'd rather take transit than drive in the city.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
sometimes old people look shocked when I tell them my knees don't hurt all the time and my back is still strong. old people are weird.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
the new paternal leave I took was an amazing bonding time .

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

Explained my plan to take a few months of parental leave when my wife's is over in February to family members in two separate conversations this weekend.

The response from both was: "...Why?"

The surface answer is because we couldn't get a daycare slot until May and we want to avoid subjecting her to the COVID/RSV/flu plague as long as possible. I know it's a generational thing, but I was legit stunned by the question. Why the gently caress wouldn't I?

I've been masking since September or October 2021, while my youngest was at his most vulnerable. I was deep in the COVID mines on my infectious diseases/pulmonary medicine rotation during the last winter wave. My wife finally got COVID and gave it to all of us in august, when our youngest was 14 months old, and we're fine. I'll never know if he'd have been fine anyway getting it a lot sooner, but I'm glad I played for time.

Also, gently caress not taking all the parental leave you can get. I got a full 15 weeks all told, with pay. poo poo was cash.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I took max parental time for the birth of my daughter and I don’t remember 90% of it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Struensee posted:

I've been masking since September or October 2021, while my youngest was at his most vulnerable. I was deep in the COVID mines on my infectious diseases/pulmonary medicine rotation during the last winter wave. My wife finally got COVID and gave it to all of us in august, when our youngest was 14 months old, and we're fine. I'll never know if he'd have been fine anyway getting it a lot sooner, but I'm glad I played for time.

The alternative to worry about wasn't "getting COVID earlier" but "getting COVID more frequently".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PerniciousKnid posted:

The alternative to worry about wasn't "getting COVID earlier" but "getting COVID more frequently".

And the long-term effects!

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Finally got the stroller-seat combo or "travel system" :airquote: we bought off Amazon. And it turns out there's a lady doctor that makes all kind of youtube videos about how to properly put your kids in the car. It's @thecarseatlady1.

Just leaving it here in case anyone needs help learning to properly fit their child's seat. God knows I had no idea how to put the drat thing in the backseat until I watched some videos.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kal-L posted:

Finally got the stroller-seat combo or "travel system" :airquote: we bought off Amazon. And it turns out there's a lady doctor that makes all kind of youtube videos about how to properly put your kids in the car. It's @thecarseatlady1.

Just leaving it here in case anyone needs help learning to properly fit their child's seat. God knows I had no idea how to put the drat thing in the backseat until I watched some videos.

In Australia some mechanics are accredited to install seats for you. We did that for our eldest, for the first install. Now I can bust 3 seats out and back into our Golf on like 15 minutes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

In Australia some mechanics are accredited to install seats for you. We did that for our eldest, for the first install. Now I can bust 3 seats out and back into our Golf on like 15 minutes.

In the US, fire departments will check them and go over how to install them with you. They take it pretty seriously since they're the ones who see what happens when they're not installed properly.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mustached Demon posted:

In the US, fire departments will check them and go over how to install them with you. They take it pretty seriously since they're the ones who see what happens when they're not installed properly.

:smith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I thought we would have burly firefighters check our car seats when we went, but it was actually a couple middle-aged ladies from the county doing the checks and it kind of made more sense in hindsight.

Was also not expecting the bits about completely destroying the car seat when it's expired. I guess there's a logic to it for safety purposes, but felt like a line from Big Car Seat.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will confess that it took me a while to really bond with my son after he was born, it just felt difficult to put all this effort into a lump that only screamed and cried and didn't know who i was. but with my new daughter, instant love!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
oh yeah personally I've got nothing for babies. I'll take care of them but I don't care one way or another about em. don't sweat it.

kids are only fun when they start meaningfully interacting imo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I spent four weeks of parental leave as primary caretaker while my wife worked and it really helped me bond the first time around

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I didn't really bond those first few weeks, and I pretty much suspected I wouldn't and admitted as much to my wife. But when he started smiling and laughing, oh there it was, there was the feels :3:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh yeah personally I've got nothing for babies. I'll take care of them but I don't care one way or another about em. don't sweat it.

kids are only fun when they start meaningfully interacting imo

yeah, when my kid came along people kept asking how it was being a dad. It's like, I'm not yet, really. That comes later.

But it doesn't take too long.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

just submitted my paperwork to take parental leave. eight weeks! :toot:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
some bonding issues can also be mild postpartum, guys can get it too apparently. I bonded pretty quickly but i was off work anyway.

It really is amazing when they start showing social cues though, agreed.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chad Sexington posted:

Was also not expecting the bits about completely destroying the car seat when it's expired. I guess there's a logic to it for safety purposes, but felt like a line from Big Car Seat.

I'm ok leaning on the side of caution. A lot of plasticy bits that get hot as gently caress during the summer. Can't be good after several summers.

Department stores will do car seat exchanges and trade you a coupon for old car seats. At least twice a year at target iirc.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I took the first four weeks off and bonded way faster than I expected, pretty much instantly as she was napping on my lap at the maternity ward and holding my finger.

didn’t ask myself a lot of questions, I never had a dad to rolemodel myself after anyways so gently caress it

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just leaving here this video from a canadian fire department about installing baby seats in cars.

Already practiced it with my wife, since our seat came with the base with hooks that go click between the car seats. And we will practice enough to make it second nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIZW_SvVWT8

Edit: As for destroying the seat after some years... I think it's the same as bicycle helmets where after a colission they're not good anymore. Or do you want 100% chance your baby will be okay or 85%?

Kal-L has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Dec 12, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Supposedly car seats expire after about 6 years due to plastic degradation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm loving sick of being loving sick

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i forgot to pack my sons lunch before taking him to daycare yesterday, newborn sleep deprivation is fail

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Checked my company handbook and it looks like I get 16 full weeks of paid parental leave :eyepop:

If I use it literally all at once I don't have to go back to work until my kid is 3 and a half months old, it's nuts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
God drat

Imagine all the video gaming you could think about doing but never have the time for

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dreylad posted:

some bonding issues can also be mild postpartum, guys can get it too apparently. I bonded pretty quickly but i was off work anyway.

It really is amazing when they start showing social cues though, agreed.

Actually, I feel like that's cause and effect reversal. I personally think that a lot of post partum depression comes from social expectations of instant love for babies and that that's not necessarily normal.

And so you get to feel guilty and overwhelmed all at once. Because no one in your life is willing to say "oh yeah you have a lump of fragile meat, but it gets better" to you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

Checked my company handbook and it looks like I get 16 full weeks of paid parental leave :eyepop:

If I use it literally all at once I don't have to go back to work until my kid is 3 and a half months old, it's nuts

nice, that's awesome

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Microplastics posted:

God drat

Imagine all the video gaming you could think about doing but never have the time for

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Microplastics posted:

God drat

I just applied for 14 weeks starting in February.

Thinking about all the cool outdoor activities we could do but won't because it will be too cold outside.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Microplastics posted:

it's been three years and I'm still doing this

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just bought one of those full body warm and cozy things which are jacket and pants in one for myself, just like the 5 year old has. This allows me to stand still outside in freezing weather without getting frostbite or even being cold while the kid pokes a frozen stream with a stick for half an hour or whatever he does. Highly recommended.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Microplastics posted:

God drat

I hate that

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

god drat kid 2 is a demonic goblin and life is trash

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

There are few greater feelings in this computer-toucher WFH bubble than popping downstairs during the workday, making our ~13 week adjusted little girl do her funny little proto-laugh, and then popping back upstairs to the sound of my wife fruitlessly trying to replicate it. Respect the dadclown!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

kecske posted:

it's been three years and I'm still doing this

it's been nine years and I'm still doing this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Same, but books to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bitmap posted:

god drat kid 2 is a demonic goblin and life is trash

Some children wake up in the morning and choose violence.

Source: our third child, 18mo.