Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's Apple update day. New OS updates across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: at communicating by talking into your phone like some kind of cave man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bring the ipod touch back and toss a 5g antenna into it for data only, perfect pocket computer.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
https://t.co/hZpXrKdHGj

Apple to Allow Outside App Stores in Overhaul Spurred by EU Laws

We'll see how they spin this lol. Big news though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I hope Tim Sweeney will finally shut up now. and Spotify finally rolls out Airplay2 and every other API they refused to implement due to their lawsuit with Apple.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I was Apple I'd rig it so apps in other stores get zero access to any of the Apple ecosystem.. files, photos, contacts, etc.

Maybe restrict API's too. Wanna use weatherkit or widgets or whatever? Well you gotta be on the first party app store buddy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah third party fart apps are back on the menu boys!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

If I was Apple I'd rig it so apps in other stores get zero access to any of the Apple ecosystem.. files, photos, contacts, etc.

Maybe restrict API's too. Wanna use weatherkit or widgets or whatever? Well you gotta be on the first party app store buddy.

I think this is exactly what will happen. They'll do the bare minimum to comply with regulations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I hope someone revives my favourite 3GS app: Tits and Boobies

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If I were to guess, third party app stores will need to be approved by Apple and Apple Pay will likely need to be integrated with it, so it won't be the end of the world.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

pretty sure that could also be ruled as anticompetitive (and should be)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

looking forward to meta pulling instagram from the app store and requiring you to sideload their special version with extra tracking that apple won't let them do

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

actionjackson posted:

pretty sure that could also be ruled as anticompetitive (and should be)

Well that's for smarter people than us to determine. But I don't see why any company should be obligated to allow developers to profit off free access to closed source and proprietary API's.

Especially because they're all just gonna instantly try to turn it into the hellscape that is the android app world.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

xzzy posted:

Especially because they're all just gonna instantly try to turn it into the hellscape that is the android app world.

Is this the case? I genuinely don't know, I haven't had an Android since the HTC EVO in like 2010.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

canyonero posted:

Is this the case? I genuinely don't know, I haven't had an Android since the HTC EVO in like 2010.

Well I do enjoy hyperbole, but there are a handful of reports every year of android apps getting caught uploading everything you do to some sketchy server somewhere.

iOS isn't perfect but it feels like that doesn't happen as much (instead they get extremely damaging code exploits).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If a pretty clueless person walked into an Apple store and purchased an iPhone 14, would the store people handle converting their (Verizon) nano SIM into an eSIM for them?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's just going to be another nightmare for us technologically inclined nerds will have to deal with when our dumb family members install some third party app store that hijacks their phone or some poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

I hope someone revives my favourite 3GS app: Tits and Boobies

What about I Am Rich?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of the biggest problems with only being able to get apps from the apple store (besides it being, you know, a monopoly) is that you can't access apps that are beneficial to users, but detrimental to apple, because it's not in apple's self-interest to have them sold (timestamped link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAMTQZmvPE&t=785s

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
At some point in ios16 spotlight search no longer brings up reminder lists. This means I can’t swipe and the “sho” and immediately open my shopping list. Boo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If a pretty clueless person walked into an Apple store and purchased an iPhone 14, would the store people handle converting their (Verizon) nano SIM into an eSIM for them?
Yeah they will sit there with you and help you set up the new phone if you want. If you're staying on Verizon, it'll do it as part of setup, but you may need to call in if it's being dumb like my wife had to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dang, advanced data protection is not loving around. It won't let you turn it on until all apple devices on your account are updated to the latest OS. It also generates a really long recovery key.. which is fine, but it's odd to me there's no method to choose my own key.

Yeah, choosing their own only means there's going to be a million users with using "password123" for their key but it still seems like something they should have done.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah they will sit there with you and help you set up the new phone if you want. If you're staying on Verizon, it'll do it as part of setup, but you may need to call in if it's being dumb like my wife had to.
Ok I’ll tell them it’s ok to do that, and mention to have their Verizon login info handy just in case.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If they're coming from an older iPhone, the Migration Assistant automatically takes care of that for you. I didn't even realize eSIM was a thing until I pressed the okay button and my old phone instantly stopped working.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

Dang, advanced data protection is not loving around. It won't let you turn it on until all apple devices on your account are updated to the latest OS. It also generates a really long recovery key.. which is fine, but it's odd to me there's no method to choose my own key.

Yeah, choosing their own only means there's going to be a million users with using "password123" for their key but it still seems like something they should have done.

As far as I'm aware, that's literally your encryption key (or a facsimile of it). BitLocker doesn't let you pick your BitLocker Recovery key, FileVault doesn't let you pick your recovery key, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

blastron posted:

If they're coming from an older iPhone, the Migration Assistant automatically takes care of that for you. I didn't even realize eSIM was a thing until I pressed the okay button and my old phone instantly stopped working.
Good to know. They currently have an iPhone 7.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

actionjackson posted:

one of the biggest problems with only being able to get apps from the apple store (besides it being, you know, a monopoly) is that you can't access apps that are beneficial to users, but detrimental to apple, because it's not in apple's self-interest to have them sold (timestamped link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAMTQZmvPE&t=785s

Is it ironic that the youtuber has not made this video available in my country?

(Although I have to agree that there's some really odd apps that are banned. Why are torrent apps banned? Why is Kodi banned when Plex is allowed? Why does Apple care if people break their phones throwing them into the air as high as they can?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

xzzy posted:

Well that's for smarter people than us to determine. But I don't see why any company should be obligated to allow developers to profit off free access to closed source and proprietary API's.

Couldn't Apple just completely sandbox off any other app store where any apps from it have to be run in their own environment and if anything terrible happens Apple can just say, sucks that you downloaded Mega Me Apps and it sent all your nudes to China, but nothing came from our environment, sucks that you downloaded it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Disappointing Pie posted:

gently caress sake. I hope they at least lock down what outside apps can do, force you to jump through hoops to enable sideloading, etc.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Lol. They could easily make installing apps from third parties annoying with a few pop-ups and checkboxes and stuff and put scary warnings so idiots don't gently caress up their phones. Allowing sideloading is not going to be some doom and gloom end of everything.

At worst if means some apps like the aforementioned meta poo poo will leave the app store proper. At best it means you get access to cool poo poo apple won't approve for whatever reason. I'll finally be able to get rid of my android phone for emulation.

I can't believe people are upset about this. Just leave it off and if Apple doesn't do a good job convincing your parents it's a really really bad idea (they probably will) then you can convince them I guess.

Probably these apps will run in a sandboxed environment where they can't touch any real data or something though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if this Freeform app fills a need anyone actually has but I'm definitely gonna spam my wife with so many dumb drawings.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Lol. They could easily make installing apps from third parties annoying with a few pop-ups and checkboxes and stuff and put scary warnings so idiots don't gently caress up their phones. Allowing sideloading is not going to be some doom and gloom end of everything.

At worst if means some apps like the aforementioned meta poo poo will leave the app store proper. At best it means you get access to cool poo poo apple won't approve for whatever reason. I'll finally be able to get rid of my android phone for emulation.

I can't believe people are upset about this. Just leave it off and if Apple doesn't do a good job convincing your parents it's a really really bad idea (they probably will) then you can convince them I guess.

Probably these apps will run in a sandboxed environment where they can't touch any real data or something though.

Maybe I’m being reactionary, but I’m just concerned that companies like Meta will force me into using their App Store so they can track me more instead of staying within iOS’s App Store guidelines and parameters. Yes, I could stop using their services altogether, but I also use the internet and need to access social media accounts to engage in commerce and business, so I’m stuck using fake accounts with as much personal information stripped as possible.

Who knows though, maybe Apple has figured out a way to prevent this from happening.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

I don't know if this Freeform app fills a need anyone actually has but I'm definitely gonna spam my wife with so many dumb drawings.

I'm gonna send so many drawings to my roommate. haha

This poo poo is cool.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Disappointing Pie posted:

Finally, some loving emulator support!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Corb3t posted:

Who knows though, maybe Apple has figured out a way to prevent this from happening.

Hopefully. In the end whatever solution Apple goes with will probably be better than what we're all assuming its going to be, cause Apple isn't going to throw in the towel and let iOS become the wild west.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

What’s with automatic updates not working? They almost never have for me, across multiple iPhones. Weird huh? And I’m not the only one.

Instead, I need to install every update manually, even though I have Automatic Updates turned on, and then the phone asks me to confirm that my update will be installed between 2-4am. No dice, and I have no network problems, and it hasn’t even worked when I was away, so that’s not a factor.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Automatic iOS updates are hit or miss for me too, I don't care too much since I just pop into General -> Software Update once in a while. At least automatic app updates finally started properly working a couple years ago and have been seamless since then. That part does feel like future living.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Yeah, this is how Android does it. You have to go check some boxes that give big warnings about how doing so will definitely make your phone immediately explode. If you don't want to sideload things, you can simply not do that!

I imagine if FB decides to pull their apps off the App Store, there will pretty immediately be third-party apps that are just optimized browser wrappers. (These even already exist.)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I don’t think automatic updates have ever worked for me. The closest I’ve seen is with TestFlight betas updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They usually work fine for me when I actually forget to update things manually, but that's pretty rare. It definitely usually takes a few days after a release for it to happen, but I think that's intentional.