Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Arrath posted:

Not forgetting to go into your creatures screen for a while only to be greeted by "Holy Armok that's a lot of puppies/kittens"

God help you if you forgot long enough that a bunch of them are now pets.

But if you're already at the pet screen, why not just slaughter the dang things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kenning posted:

But if you're already at the pet screen, why not just slaughter the dang things?

Oh no that's what I mean, when you go in to slaughter 'em only to realize holy gently caress there's a bunch no wonder my frames have been trending down.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kenning posted:

it's for animals that are pets. livestock you can just slaughter

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yes definitely slaughter most of your cats, preferably in a short amount of time so they cant, uh, cant breed more yeah.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You can slaughter dogges and cats. But cats are really prone to bonding with dwarfs. Neutering goes over better than sending Mr. meow meow to the shambles and the kitchen.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cup Runneth Over posted:

AFAIK you cannot tell them what to do so they are not free cannon fodder. "Soldiering" visitors are free cannon fodder. Monster slayers don't do all that much in my experience.

Monster slayers hunt monsters in the caverns and are generally useful at dealing with all the random monsters that are constantly patrolling onto the map

If you are doing a lot in the caverns, they are worth hiring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to say no to migrants? I get so overwhelmed with population so fast and have no time to really get to know any individual dwarf.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to say no to migrants? I get so overwhelmed with population so fast and have no time to really get to know any individual dwarf.

Go into game settings and turn down the population cap settings, there are 3 or 4 for tuning various aspects, like overall cap, visitors, children, etc.

I get annoyed at having another 27 idiots show up just about the time I build the last bedroom to accommodate the previous wave of migrants, so I turn it way down. You can increase it any time you want more folks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

You can also expel any individual citizen, there is a button in their info sheet top right for that.
(Someone upthread also said children accompanied by parents can only be expelled together with their family.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm really warming up to the idea of having a big rear end dormitory for all the losers to sleep in until I can be added to carve out more individual rooms. I got seven big rooms for the founders, 24 rooms for subsequent migrants, and the rest get the room made entirely of beds until I run out of fun things to build

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Can uniforms be edited or is it strictly delete-and-recreate?

Not quite but you can edit an existing uniform by assigning to a dwarf, editing, and saving as a new uniform. Then delete the old version.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nessus posted:

You may wish to chop the nuts off of pet cats to prevent catspolsions.

you had a chance to say "catastrophes" and went with "catsplosions" :eng99:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Posted something about this last night but here's a screenshot

If you offered to build a temple and you don't remember what sect it's for:

Designate a temple zone and select any sect and look for this "agreed to build temple" text:

If you don't see it, select another sect until you do.

It's annoying but until there's an actual menu for this stuff that seems to be the only way to see requests you promised.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That also works for guilds, which thank god because the second I agree to a petition I instantly forget what it was

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

well my tutorial fort finally died out, one rogue were-tapir infected a dwarf who a couple months later turned + infected another dwarf, rinse + repeat until there's multiple at a time and everyone is dead. Gotta be the least interesting fort death imaginable, might disable were-beasts on the next go-round. I'd much rather die to a megabeast or invasion or something. At least I got my fort-building-hat dusted off and lots of ideas for ways to do things in the future.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LET THEM FIGHT

Edit: Zomus won and got a new last name from it.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 13, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

IcePhoenix posted:

you had a chance to say "catastrophes" and went with "catsplosions" :eng99:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Catsplosion

Established term of art

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tried my hand on a semi-vertical bedroom layout:

Fairly compact, 42 rooms per z-level, and I think it looks pretty neat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a reason to build tombs for anyone besides nobles? I've just been engraving slabs and hucking the corpse into the volcano

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nessus posted:

Thinking about a mod to make those nuts plantable, which grow trees, that grow fruits, which can be gathered, and are in fact cats

I don’t know why anyone would want this

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Okay I went and linked the grate to a lever and popped it open and STILL water won't flow up through it. Is pressure just, like off?!

e: Okay now there's no grate or anything, just a hole in the wall, water still won't come up.

From a few pages back, but pressure won't force water back up to its original level; it'll force it up to the level that the pressure was originally exerted on.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure#A_demonstration_of_pressure_using_U-Bends

Diagram A is your current setup. If you wanted to fill the pond through a U bend tunnel, you'd need the source to sit a level above the pond.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Danaru posted:

Is there a reason to build tombs for anyone besides nobles? I've just been engraving slabs and hucking the corpse into the volcano
Probably not, but it's not much more work than a slab, unless you really cannot get to the corpse for whatever reason.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

established as lesser maybe because puns are the ultimate art form :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Danaru posted:

Can’t you make a slab to put a dwarf to rest, and then huck that in the volcano with the body? I think once they’re satisfied, it sticks, so all you really need is a stone shop next to a slab pile next to an installation tile next to a volcano dump.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Loden Taylor posted:

From a few pages back, but pressure won't force water back up to its original level; it'll force it up to the level that the pressure was originally exerted on.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure#A_demonstration_of_pressure_using_U-Bends

Diagram A is your current setup. If you wanted to fill the pond through a U bend tunnel, you'd need the source to sit a level above the pond.

Huh, so I was off by one. Oh well, I just made my pond a level lower than I had planned. Sloped all the edges so it looks kinda nicer this way anyhow.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Indecisive posted:

well my tutorial fort finally died out, one rogue were-tapir infected a dwarf who a couple months later turned + infected another dwarf, rinse + repeat until there's multiple at a time and everyone is dead. Gotta be the least interesting fort death imaginable, might disable were-beasts on the next go-round. I'd much rather die to a megabeast or invasion or something. At least I got my fort-building-hat dusted off and lots of ideas for ways to do things in the future.

The best way to deal with an infection spiral is to draft everyone who fought a werebeast into your military, and then segregate the military in a barracks away from uninfected dwarves. This will solve the problem in a year or two generally

I would like this experience to be a little more interesting, the easily visible moon phase indicator is maybe the best gameplay improvement we have had in this area since it was implemented. I'd like it a lot if were-creature residents could eventually train some level of self control. You can infect your entire fort with lycanthropy if you want, but all you get out if it is dead livestock and broken workshops. Sure, there's a healing effect but it's not really outweighing going berserk. I don't need lycanthropy to be competitive with vampirism or necromancy, but it'd sure be nice if it wasn't so, so much worse

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So most of my dorfs are very very very happy but there's always a few that are extremely mad all the time and I can't quite figure out why. They often have unmet needs for hanging out with their family. How do I make them spend family time? Also do the incredibly detailed personality traits of each dwarf influence much?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bad Munki posted:

Thinking about a mod to make those nuts plantable, which grow trees, that grow fruits, which can be gathered, and are in fact cats

I don’t know why anyone would want this

there was a day 0 milkable gorillas mod in the workshop; there are people out there who don't just want this mod, they need this mod

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Broken Cog posted:

Tried my hand on a semi-vertical bedroom layout:

Fairly compact, 42 rooms per z-level, and I think it looks pretty neat.

This is called a point access block, very popular around the world but illegal in north america.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Nessus posted:

Why would I want to prevent a catsplosion when I could instead ruin the catleather market singlehandedly ?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My volcano fort started out pretty well, magma workshops save a lot of time and construction is going nicely. I think I embarked as a really small or distant faction however, because almost 2 years in I'm still at 19 population with a few migrant waves of 0, even though I offloaded thousands of mugs of profit for the caravan, I could really use a militia and some more mining, crafting and hauling pairs of hands. I made one of my less skilled crafters into a hunter, but turns out he's clumsy and very quick to tire, making even the skittish and cowardly elephants very tricky to hunt which thoroughly soured his mood.
A bit of Fun occurred when a magma spider (crab? I can't remember) hopped out of the volcano and swiftly killed one of my crafters, hopping back into the lava before I had a chance to react. I'm still digging down and hoping to give that aquifer for some fresh water to get a hospital set up, but so far I'm at -10 with no sign of water. Let's hope for a good group of migrants to fill up my fort and round out my dwarves' skill set in the next wave, don't worry guys, the sauna fortress isn't THAT hot!
I'd appreciate a gang tag too, if they're still being handed out. I can't believe I've already sunk around 40 hours into this, even if a chunk of it is having the game paused while I'm dealing with work. I tried and bounced off the original pretty hard a while back, but this release has me hooked.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Does aerial space count for room value, or does the game only calculate things on the same z-level? Wondering if I need to go through the trouble of smoothing the upper floors of a vaulted dining hall before digging down.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I feel like something is going to eventually go wrong with my fort now that it is stable, seemingly world famous for its many temples and its huge tavern full of random elves and goblins drinking themselves to death. Apparantely the local goblins even made peace with my civilization so the only significant thread is the absolutely baller ant queen woman somewhere in the caverns who keeps popping up in combat logs killing trolls, cave crocodiles and so on. None of my dwarves have run into them so far, but I think my miners would be in trouble if they met her.

the elves did just send me a "stop killing trees fucker" message though. do they count the underground mushroom stuff as trees too?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I already have the gang tag, but here's the tale of Ida the Cyclops regardless.

I mentioned in thread a few days ago that a cyclops came to attack us and was promptly snatched up by one of my cage traps.

I put the cyclops cage in my tavern. I figured some of the guests might enjoy looking at her, and maybe Ida would get a kick out of watching performances and stuff. Maybe she'd mellow out.

Ida did not get a kick out of watching performances. She just sat there, miserable and hateful.

After awhile, I started to feel bad about this. I mean, Ida is a horrible creature...

But she is a sentient being, and having her caged up and miserable in my tavern made me feel bad. So I decided to free Ida. I'd release her down in the caverns so she wouldn't just beeline back to my fortress and get caught again or killed. So I built a little airlock down near the cavern entrance. I put up two forbidden doors so no one would go down in the caverns, put Ida's cage down there with a lever attached to it, and then built a wall so she couldn't get back in the fortress.

And after two years, Ida was finally free. :unsmith:

Free to wander the caverns, see new sights, maybe leave the edge of the map and go off to see the world.

I went back to my fortress, happy that I had done a good deed and...oh god dammit

We made a slab for Ida. She was a horrible, hateful, miserable creature, and no one would have called her our friend, but...at least she will be remembered. We put it up in her old spot at the inn.

"Went missing." Yes, that's right kids. Ida is off on a big farm up north, where she can run free and play with all the other cyclopses.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Keeping up with bedrooms is rough on top of everything else I want to do but I think I’m at the point now where there’s enough labor to just make 30 beds at once.

What should I do once I’m kinda just surviving well enough? My plump helmet farm seems to keep up with the amount of drinks needed and my fisher dwarves have given us a consistent food supply.

I have a drawbridge, some
Macedwarves, and some archers. I built a petitioned temple and there’s another one for the other big religion. I suppose a hospital is next.

What’s the easiest way to find magma? Getting away from needing trees for fuel seems nice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Elderbean posted:

Keeping up with bedrooms is rough on top of everything else I want to do but I think I’m at the point now where there’s enough labor to just make 30 beds at once.

What should I do once I’m kinda just surviving well enough? My plump helmet farm seems to keep up with the amount of drinks needed and my fisher dwarves have given us a consistent food supply.

I have a drawbridge, some
Macedwarves, and some archers. I built a petitioned temple and there’s another one for the other big religion. I suppose a hospital is next.

What’s the easiest way to find magma? Getting away from needing trees for fuel seems nice.

You should dig. Greedily and deeply, as is the dwarven way.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Nancy posted:

Does aerial space count for room value, or does the game only calculate things on the same z-level? Wondering if I need to go through the trouble of smoothing the upper floors of a vaulted dining hall before digging down.

No, but come on, you know you want to.

Personally I leave the outer layer as stairs rather than channelled to act as scaffolding for engravers to catch up with the backlog, then you can tear the stairs down when they're finished.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

No, but come on, you know you want to.

Personally I leave the outer layer as stairs rather than channelled to act as scaffolding for engravers to catch up with the backlog, then you can tear the stairs down when they're finished.

Smart

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'm sorry dude I'm just not into you

StarkRavingMad posted:

"Went missing." Yes, that's right kids. Ida is off on a big farm up north, where she can run free and play with all the other cyclopses.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

You should dig. Greedily and deeply, as is the dwarven way.

Thats dangerous. You should design a massive contraption to flood the mineshafts in case of emergency.