Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah most of the times you have to use Perceive it's pretty obvious and you'll generally know which statements (and fragments of statements) to suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

At some point Apollo became the most popular character and it was not without reason

6-2 and 6-5 are great cases

I wonder, is this widely known to be true? 'cuz I'm a big fan of most Japanese pop media and with stuff like Final Fantasy or the like, we got polls to consult from Japan. We can look at those and say Japan loves Char Aznable and so do we. He is Char to us all.

But the thing is, Phoenix Wright for us is not...uh, whate4ver it is called in Japan. So I was wondering if this compelled a disconnect in how we appreciate and understand characters vs. how Japanese fans appreciate and understand them.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 14, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never played the Japanese language versions, but I'm told Gyuakuten Saiban Apollo is a classic hothead shonen protagonist, and it's the localization which made him more of a straight man who happens to be animated and have a loud voice. Not sure I'd like that Apollo as much as the one we got.

I think Phoenix may still be the favorite in Japan and definitely will top any series-wide polls merely on account of being the original protagonist and appearing in all the mainline games; but Apollo does quite well for himself, and is definitely the favorite when it comes to people who post on forums and draw fanart of the series.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My AA hot take is that 4's sprites were the best in the series, and the 3D models don't have that same oomph.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont think its a hot take at all, i absolutely love how AA4 looks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hell, the remaster they did of AA4 looks fantastic as well, probably because the higher resolution sprites are more suited to the treatment than the trilogy's drawn over GBA sprites.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If you're really curious how popular characters are in Japan...

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1450848994788200449

Click and scroll down to the replies to see specific categories like "Favorite Prosecutor"

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I've been replaying Investigations 1 since I played it once when it came out, then largely forgot about it in favor of Investigations 2 like most others. But through 4 cases, I actually have been enjoying it more than I thought I would. Personally, my biggest problem is that cases 1 and 2 are both used for setup when case 2 should at least be introducing the other two people on the cover (Kay and Shi-Long). I remember case 3 dragging but honestly it went by pretty fast--I'd say only the first part of case 2 really dragged.

I'll admit that the constant barrage of cameos in case 3 felt like pandering. Did Viola Cadaverini really need to be the trigger for another crime? And why did Oldbag, Skye, and Meekins all have to come back for speaking roles? Of course, I feel like a hypocrite because I did love case 4. Super cool. I think Investigations 1 does a good job of building this interesting behind-the-scenes conspiracy with this smuggling ring. I know a huge problem is that case 5 is an extreme letdown and doesn't give much payoff to any of the plotlines, but I do feel that cases 1-4 deserve to be remembered better. I'm excited to relive why case 5 is a huge letdown since it has been 13 years or so since I've seen why.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

miles on top, all is right with the world

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

they got 3d to look nice for gaa

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah AA4 is the best the series has ever looked, that's not a hot take. I think the 3D caught up by GAA, but no other 3D entries come even close.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
playing it on the Switch is kinda funny because you can kinda tell, stereoscope puzzle aside, that a lot of the animations were meant for the 3d screen, like Van Zeiks pointing to the camera

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mycot posted:

If you're really curious how popular characters are in Japan...

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1450848994788200449

Click and scroll down to the replies to see specific categories like "Favorite Prosecutor"

quote:

Cases with most impressions
1 AA3-5
2 AA1-4
3 GAA2-5
4 AA2-4
5 AA1-5
6 AAI2-5
7 AA2-3
8 AA1-2
9 GAA1-2
10 AA6-5

Well I certainly understand that Top 4 at least. Or, well, 3/4 of them. I can't help but notice the lack of significant cases post-AA3, though. Only one from AA6 barely squeaks into the Top 10. Nothing from AJ or DD.

quote:

Favorite clients
1 Larry Butz
2 Soseki Natsume
3 Iris (AA3 T&T)
4 Gina Lestrade
5 Max Galactica

Favorite witnesses
1 Wendy Oldbag
2 Polly the parrot
3 Larry Butz
4 Dick Gumshoe
5 Satoru Hosonaga

Larry and Wendy being #1 in anything is all wrong, let's get that out of the way. No strong opiniosn on the list after that except "huh, Max being Top 5 is kinda weird but okay."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wendy belongs nowhere on the list except the absolute bottom

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
they've got turnabout big top as a top 10 case, there is something wrong with these people

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i will once again defend that case and say it has excellent courtroom segments, its just that one day of investigation where a monkey steals your poo poo that sucks

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
no, the rest of it sucks also

only good bit is moe's cross-examination and the big top theme, everything else can go

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I will forgive Big Top because it leads, oddly, directly into AAI2.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sorta surprised that 1-2 is also as highly regarded. I mean, I get that it’s where everything that the series is famous for first starts getting fleshed out, but the ending is basically just two back-to-back deus ex machinae… and the only reason why the first one happens is because the GBA-era games didn’t have rotoscoping evidence.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
TGAA 1-2 is also the worst TGAA case so honestly everything on that list that isn't a final case is pretty baffling.

I'm shocked TGAA 2-3 didn't make it on there. Everyone loves that one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wonder if they meant TGAA 1-3 because 1-2 isn't really a "case"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Sorta surprised that 1-2 is also as highly regarded. I mean, I get that it’s where everything that the series is famous for first starts getting fleshed out, but the ending is basically just two back-to-back deus ex machinae… and the only reason why the first one happens is because the GBA-era games didn’t have rotoscoping evidence.

Wait, what do you mean? I'm confused. i don't remember glaring problems with that case.

I do have a theory about why people like it so much, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can see GAA1-2 making the list because it's novel and different.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, what do you mean? I'm confused. i don't remember glaring problems with that case.

I do have a theory about why people like it so much, though.

First one is “oh, so it turns out that the slip with Maya’s name written in blood was actually the receipt for the light stand that definitively proves that Redd could not have possibly seen it when he claims he did”, since up to that point there had been zero indication that the slip itself had any other significance.

The second one is Mia rattling off the names of Redd’s victims, though I admittedly consider it disappointing because the resolution is Phoenix’s boss saving his rear end from beyond the grave, rather than him getting to deal the final blow.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can see GAA1-2 making the list because it's novel and different.

I don't mind the concept of a case with no trials, my issue with TGAA 1-2 is that it does the thing that Bad Ace Attorney Cases do where you basically know everything that happened 2/3s of the way through and it just keeps going on and on.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
In GAA, is there supposed to be full voice acting? I only get voice acting during cutscenes and the various "objection!"-type shouts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nope, that's the voice acting.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

...! posted:

In GAA, is there supposed to be full voice acting? I only get voice acting during cutscenes and the various "objection!"-type shouts.

That's all there is, even in the Japanese track.

Until the anime came out I think the most extensive VA for Phoenix was Marvel vs Capcom

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Ah, OK. That's what I always thought until I looked around in the games' extras menus and found various long voice clips that aren't in the actual games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
on the other hand, rise from the ashes is on the list so who can say if it's good or bad

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gotta say, this does not bode well for me and Perceive. The lady wearing a veil swallows at one point. Okay, I was thinking it might be something like that, but I also figured the thing just moved because she was talking. I don't think I like this mechanic much.

And that is the case done. It got a bit better but that first trial is stupid. You are explicitly told firing a gun like this would "dislocate your shoulder" but the 14-year-old singer boy did it? And of course Apollo never actually brings up "...but he's blind" until it's way late and the "dislocate your shoulder" is changed to "has a bit of kickback."

Also what is with the nonstop flashbacks? There are flashbacks to things you just saw five minutes ago, multiple times. Maybe they thought this was the big artistic jewel what with their music video and stuff. It was actually much less interesting then the last case.

Trucy: "[The Gavinners] are even in my textbook at school."

How did the question of Trucy's schooling never cross my mind. When exactly does she find time to go to school, anyway?

Anyway, AJ hinges a lot on this final case. Otherwise it gets a pretty resounding meh from me. I go back to my MGS2 comparison though in that the game just makes me want to see what the far more awesome and enigmatic Phoenix is up to.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 15, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Perceive sucks. I have always and will always like the Mood Matrix way more

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That music video is famously bad with how often they replay it - and part of that case is actually not doable (easily or at all depending) for a deaf person, which was super frustrating for me at the time!

Nyaawn posted:

Perceive sucks. I have always and will always like the Mood Matrix way more

You're right and thank you for saying it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
1-2 is probably the most iconic case and it has some really great back and forth between Phoenix and Edgeworth.

Yeah the resolution is a little wonky but Phoenix is still a rookie and the deck was absolutely stacked against him. I think it’s ok that Mia ultimately gets her victory. Phoenix is still feeling everything out and it builds to him successfully completing a critical trial without her.

It’s funny though how ultimately small a character Redd White is in the grand scheme of things when you consider the power he supposedly had and how many characters lives he touches. The ending of the investigation against him definite leaves you feeling pretty powerless but then he’s like wet paper in the courtroom.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s also worth mentioning how many of those cases are either finale cases or early on on the history of the series. People may have only played two games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So as people who have been in the fandom for a while, I'd like to pick your brains. Obviously inspired by the Japanese poll from earlier.

Seems there's widespread agreement AA3 is the most popular game and Apollo is the most beloved main character. What about others? What other non-playable characters are very popular? Alternatively, what characters or cases are the most unpopular in the English-speaking fandom?

I think I'm in agreement wit others that Oldbag is the worst but what else?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
people like Adrian Andrews iirc

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

People have also kind of grown to despise Larry, mostly because he’s always the hapless horny idiot who inadvertently blows some part of the case wide open.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Larry is pretty cool actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
larry is worth it for the "are you high" moment in 3-5