Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dagoth ur welcomes you, doodle pup.
But to this place where fetch is played why have you come unprepared?
Lay down, it's not too late for my petties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I pet you and you lick me
Doodle pup!
Gotta fetch em all!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I often use doodle butt/pup because it fills the meters better than Brisket does

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just sing popular standards and replace random words with dog.

Everybody doesn't do this?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Trying really hard to imagine the humorless boring void who thinks happily engaging with your dogs is cringe

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis has about 18 names that are all variations of his actual name or pup, dog, etc. What gets used is entirely dependent upon mood and situation.

Anyone who wants to police how I interact with my flufferbutt can gently caress all the way off.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Well that’s not exactly encouraging. We just sent in our Embark age test for our old girl. We’ve only had her for three years and we rescued her from a pound so we’ll have to take what Embark says. Our best guess is 12-14 :shrug:

Embark results came back and say she’s 14 and 9 months. Pretty much in line with what we figured. The birthdate they gave us is March 7, 2008 which ironically is only two days off from the day we brought her home from the pound in 2020.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Embark results came back and say she’s 14 and 9 months. Pretty much in line with what we figured. The birthdate they gave us is March 7, 2008 which ironically is only two days off from the day we brought her home from the pound in 2020.

That's awesome! I'm so glad you got accurate results and I hope you have more years with your good old lady :3:

Scout loev fastcat (photo by Blue Dog Photography)

Scout does not have brakes (photo by C4 photography, they were set up on opposite ends of the track)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is horror. My little bitch is in heat, we live in the countryside and it's not uncommon to see paw prints of other dogs in the yard because rural people don't take keeping your dogs attached seriously.

So this morning there was a big male that looks like a labrador in our yard, and it wouldn't leave. He was VERY interested in my girl but it was just too much, I had to hold a broom to keep some distance.

Now it's been an hour and it's still there, howling and trying to get inside. :dogout:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I looove Scout's eyes in those pics. She's so gorgeous!

Nenonen posted:

This is horror. My little bitch is in heat, we live in the countryside and it's not uncommon to see paw prints of other dogs in the yard because rural people don't take keeping your dogs attached seriously.

So this morning there was a big male that looks like a labrador in our yard, and it wouldn't leave. He was VERY interested in my girl but it was just too much, I had to hold a broom to keep some distance.

Now it's been an hour and it's still there, howling and trying to get inside. :dogout:

Never been more glad I can send my broodie off to the kennel for wayward girls whenever she's in heat!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fortunately the horny boy's momma came to pick him up when we called her and life is normal again.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Nenonen posted:

If she's going to remain intact a trick show dog people have told me is to feed your bitch chlorophyll (tablets or liquid) throughout their heat to reduce the odor. No amounts specified, just enough to make their poop turn green twice a day starting when you first notice blood or when you're expecting her to come in. I don't have any males around so I'm not sure if it actually works but some people swear by it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That's awesome! I'm so glad you got accurate results and I hope you have more years with your good old lady :3:

Scout does not have brakes (photo by C4 photography, they were set up on opposite ends of the track)

Lmao the dichotomy between these two photos. For extreme focus to ultimate goof

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Didn't realize so many heelers on here. Christmas pics

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Instant Jellyfish posted:

lmao

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

another loser posted:

Didn't realize so many heelers on here. Christmas pics

The naughty hat is perfect!

We went with a reindeer theme.

The people at the pet store know Scout by name and are so excited when she shows up :3: She's such a ham

I just got approved to be a foster home for an ACD rescue so soon there will be even more heelers in the thread!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We just have her in dumb hats

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s 2022. Is there a good new hoodie for holding cats/small dogs like a kangaroo pouch these days? I bought the original but they were made for tiny Asian bodies

Edit:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 14, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there any consensus on anti-dog-barking devices? New neighbors and they're complaining about our dog; the dog DOES bark a lot, unfortunately.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any consensus on anti-dog-barking devices? New neighbors and they're complaining about our dog; the dog DOES bark a lot, unfortunately.

Nothing that's set and forget that's any good i don't think. You can get non-shock vibration collars you manually fire to break a reactive dog out of its barking concentration if need be but you still need to do the reward when it stops to train them out of it. It's unfortunately just really hard to train out. We had a friend walk by multiple times to help us with the training to give the dog more chances. (Not an expert - just saying what worked for us, she still barks but much less)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

close the windows?

If you're in an apartment they're probably using the sound so move their bed away from the wall.

It's also pretty difficult because warning you of strangers is pretty much the Dog Experience.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HootTheOwl posted:

close the windows?

If you're in an apartment they're probably using the sound so move their bed away from the wall.

It's also pretty difficult because warning you of strangers is pretty much the Dog Experience.

Yeah, the Original Dog Contract was basically "help me find and kill things and holler if something suspicious tries to sneak up on us, and in exchange you can have the leftover animal bits and sleep by the fire" and it's very hard to convince dogs that we don't still want those things, and instead would like them to nap a lot and wear cute sweaters for Instagram.

The best way is to remove whatever stimulus is causing the barks, which is easier said than done, but we had some early success by playing loud white noise whenever our doofus was in her crate. She'd still bark occasionally, particularly when we left, but then she'd settle down and the white noise would reduce the risk that she'd hear something that would set her off.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

White noise is great. If your pup is barking at things out the window you can get window film that turns it frosted but is removable and doesn't damage anything. They even come in fancy designs now. I put mine up years ago when my first dog was going nuts barking at my neighbors across the street and it immediately fixed the problem. 12 years later and it's still up and my current dog never got to start barking at the neighbors because of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Our trainer also recommended finding a YouTube channel with random people talking and noises and stuff.

Put that on when you aren’t home to maybe desensitize the pup.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's more of a nested issue.

We have sliding glass back doors (so no dog door) and two adjacent neighbors who also have dogs, all in fenced yards. Whenever our dogs see the neighbor's dogs out, they bark to go out, then they bark along the fence back and forth *with* the neighbor dogs, then they bark to be let in. Then once they come back in, after a little while they get bored and bark to be let out again; then they bark to be let in again; etc.

This is all aggravated because we have one older dog and one younger dog and the younger dog always wants to be around the older dog and the older dog often wants to be away from the younger dog, so each will bark until we open the glass door partition and either let them both be together or both be separated as the preferred case may be. So sometimes we let each dog have either together time or alone time, respectively, but this usually makes the dog getting the non-preferred time bark further.

For a while we even trained our older dog to ring a bell instead when she wanted to be let out, but she just started whanging on the bell constantly, which was louder than the barking.

This was all fine but now we have new neighbors who are elderly and don't have a dog but want peace and quiet. Which I can't actually blame them for because it all does add up to a lot of barking we've just gotten used to it and they haven't.

Maybe one of those large area barking ultrasonic things?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 14, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Remove fence planks and turn all three yards into a dog park.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the indescribable grace and majesty of two cattledogs (one red, one blue) colliding at high speed in midair, deliberately

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a strange fowl posted:

the indescribable grace and majesty of two cattledogs (one red, one blue) colliding at high speed in midair, deliberately

Pretty sure this is actually how the warp drive on the Enterprise works

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My golden retriever pup hasn’t been around many children and when he last was at thanksgiving he was pretty nippy, but he’s doing incredibly well with a bunch of 0-7yr old nieces and nephews. Maybe it’s just the difference between 3 and 4 month or if doggy day care really helped but he’s great and doesn’t mind being poked and prodded and doesn’t get way too excited if someone lays on the ground.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My amazingly social basset went from "wow kids are the best" to "maybe I'll just smell their face and move on" after his first Thanksgiving of ear pulling and being woken from naps.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

He's here! And he's amazing. He had one accident inside which was absolutely my fault 'cos I was trying to figure out how to open the bag of dog food and didn't get him outside quick enough.

He spent the hour and a half drive home sitting in my lap and getting hugs the entire time. He has since decided that I'm okay.

He slept the whole night (until 6AM which is clearly puppy wake-up time). Took him outside straight away and within 5 minutes he had done his businesses upon which he got treats, praise, pats and belly rubs for being a loving amazing good dog.

The only issue (so far) with him is that he has decided he LIKES two spots in my house. He likes the Crate (AWESOME), and he likes another spot out the backyard. If I am with him in either of those spots, he is perfectly happy and will be an puppy. Chasing flies, pouncing on dead leaves, rolling around with a chew toy and growling at it all tough. If I walk away from those places, he won't follow, he'll sit there and whimper until I come back.

...upon which he rushes me, climbs in my lap, nuzzles me, demands hugs and is loving amazing.

So he's a bit too scared to explore yet, but he's perfectly happy in two places (one is a crate) and he is a big fan of me, and he won't toilet in the crate. We're off to a good start. I just need to get him to get some confidence to explore the house and the backyard some more so that he will follow me around and "help" with my day to day things so I can introduce some more variety into his life and tire him out quicker so he gets sleepier and wants more hugs 'cos holy poo poo hugs with this puppy is like the best thing ever.

Also, he doesn't understand balls yet. I don't understand a Golden Retriever who doesn't understand balls. How do I teach him to play fetch? (Or usually in a Goldie's case, I'll throw the ball for you...you go get the ball and never even consider returning it)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

absolute pup :swoon:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

H13 posted:

He's here! And he's amazing. He had one accident inside which was absolutely my fault 'cos I was trying to figure out how to open the bag of dog food and didn't get him outside quick enough.

He spent the hour and a half drive home sitting in my lap and getting hugs the entire time. He has since decided that I'm okay.

He slept the whole night (until 6AM which is clearly puppy wake-up time). Took him outside straight away and within 5 minutes he had done his businesses upon which he got treats, praise, pats and belly rubs for being a loving amazing good dog.

The only issue (so far) with him is that he has decided he LIKES two spots in my house. He likes the Crate (AWESOME), and he likes another spot out the backyard. If I am with him in either of those spots, he is perfectly happy and will be an puppy. Chasing flies, pouncing on dead leaves, rolling around with a chew toy and growling at it all tough. If I walk away from those places, he won't follow, he'll sit there and whimper until I come back.

...upon which he rushes me, climbs in my lap, nuzzles me, demands hugs and is loving amazing.

So he's a bit too scared to explore yet, but he's perfectly happy in two places (one is a crate) and he is a big fan of me, and he won't toilet in the crate. We're off to a good start. I just need to get him to get some confidence to explore the house and the backyard some more so that he will follow me around and "help" with my day to day things so I can introduce some more variety into his life and tire him out quicker so he gets sleepier and wants more hugs 'cos holy poo poo hugs with this puppy is like the best thing ever.

Also, he doesn't understand balls yet. I don't understand a Golden Retriever who doesn't understand balls. How do I teach him to play fetch? (Or usually in a Goldie's case, I'll throw the ball for you...you go get the ball and never even consider returning it)

Looks like you got an A+ puppy. What have you named this lil furball?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's not much better than the adoring gaze of a puppy

Edit: he's probably still getting used to the new environment, I'm sure in a few days he'll be rampaging around like he owns the place

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2022

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
His name is Whiskey.

I'm sure in a few days I'll be saying: "Hey, remember when you DIDN'T follow me around everywhere? Yeah. That was nice"

It's just tricky 'cos at the moment when he's awake, I'm anchored to his crate or one spot in the backyard. But he's been in this house less than 24 hours.

My folks are coming over for Chrismas Eve\Christmas, so I'm getting them to drop by today to have a proper hug and meet and greet so that there's ONE less new thing for him to deal with in the next 2 days.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Balls can be hard for pups to understand, but he'll figure it out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My golden definitely didn’t see completely well at 12 weeks either. Took him a week or two to start to really see things far away. He was always very interested in chasing sudden movement though and he’s always liked balls. And sticks. And leaves. Nothing could possibly be more interesting to him than a leaf for the first 2 weeks I had him.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My golden definitely didn’t see completely well at 12 weeks either. Took him a week or two to start to really see things far away. He was always very interested in chasing sudden movement though and he’s always liked balls. And sticks. And leaves. Nothing could possibly be more interesting to him than a leaf for the first 2 weeks I had him.

All of this is very true.

Today he started playing with a tennis ball that had a squeaker in it.

I'm pretty sure the squeak is "gently caress you" in puppy language.

After I've thrown it, (close) he will pounce on it, roll around with it and then hurry back to me for congratulations of a job well done.

He did do a good job. His pounce is the best loving thing.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I'm so emotionally invested in this dog now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

I'm so emotionally invested in this dog now.

Try being in the same room with him and have him look up at you.

QUESTION:
(Again, I'm aware it's like...first ACTUAL full day. So whatever I deal with today will likely be different tomorrow.)

However, the breeder gave me a blanket that he used to sleep in with his littermates.

It's the only thing which he seems to actively attack. Growls, yelps the works. When I take it out of his crate he settles (or possibly sulks) very quickly. Chew Toys which he massacres have a very different growl.

Is this...normal? It makes sense to me that the blanket would be solid gold for the little guy, but it seems to piss him off.

As an aside, he's got a towel in there with him which he sat on for the whole drive home with me. THAT he seems to like. He chews and gnaws at it a little, but not in an actual "gently caress you" sorta way.

For now, I've put his puppy blanket on top of his crate so hopefully he still gets the smells without having access to the blanket.

But for a bit of "he is a good boy" whenever he's getting tired from running around in the backyard, he comes up to me for hugs. I'm usually sitting on the steps of the back deck (2 steps, he can already go up and down 'cos he's amazing) and he'll sit under my legs. Or he'll sit up and put his tiny little amazing loving face on my leg and look up at me.

He might not quite be okay with everything yet, but I feel like he's okay with me.