Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I have deeper levels on a separate staircase with a lever locked door in case something fun comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Built a farm underground, in sand. Discovered at some point that holes appeared above them, on the surface. Maybe because there were tree roots and I chopped the trees? Now my farm is considered outdoors and I can't plant plump helmets.

Edit: Wait no it does have plump helmets in the list, I can just also plant outdoor crops :psyduck:

Edit edit: Alright yeah it's just three of the plots, that happened to have holes above them. You can't check if a tile is indoor or outdoor anymore but whatever I'll take it.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2022

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit: Wait no it does have plump helmets in the list, I can just also plant outdoor crops :psyduck:

Pretty sure you'll just plant outdoor crops on the squares exposed to the sky, and vice-versa.

You can't plant two different crops in one plot, though, because it's forbidden by Leviticus.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The muscle memory still runs deep, so I keep trying to press K to check tiles like you’re trying to do, or hitting Z for the population screen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im gonna type a bunch of random numbers into the advanced worldgen options

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I didn't think it was possible but my dwarves are drinking themselves to death.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've got two unrelated questions:

First, I'm building essentially a guardhouse around where the entrance to my fort will be. The building will be built into a hillside, and as such one side of the building will have the ground up near the roof. If I construct floor over the grass on that side, then deconstruct the floor, will that stop invaders from getting right up against the wall? I basically want to know if I should get rid of the floors, or make a moat.

The second question is I think I have a bug with a statue I want to commission for my temple. A few of my dwarves want to pray to Igest. I commissioned a statue, and specified Igest as the image. Instead, I got a statue of a random dwarf. I tried again, and got the same result, being a different but still random dwarf. I was able to commission statues of all the other gods correctly, but Igest is being weird. Anyone know what gives there?

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Sent my recruits out on Wolf clearing duty. Seems they weren't needed. A 7 year old dwarven child ran up to one of the wolves and ripped two of its legs clean off. It bled out.

Dwarves are terrifying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chalk me up as the idiot who kept saying "what am I supposed to do with the hundreds of cabbage seeds I have" for hours until I realized you can just have a surface farm like in real life.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Pretty sure you'll just plant outdoor crops on the squares exposed to the sky, and vice-versa.

You can't plant two different crops in one plot, though, because it's forbidden by Leviticus.

Time to expose the plots to the horrid sun then, and rebuild a floor over top.

If I'm planting in sand, does getting them muddy help at all? Or is it basically that mud becomes plantable soil and that's all you need. Soil, or cavern soil being the only two options?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A couple pages ago but apparently I gave the wrong advice about milkable items. I guess I set up that order in my fort and never checked back on it because I literally have a stockpile of like 3000 prepared food so I do not really care whether I have milk or cheese or not. So, my bad.

Secondly, there was some discourse about monster slayers. They are rare enough that I accept them always, and I leave them (and the bards, actually) unrestricted to my defense burrow. If your caverns are open they tend to go patrol them, which I would describe as relatively useful. Even more useful, I had a duo of monster slayers take down a forgotten beast earlier. One was a swordsman who whacked at it until his hand got smashed and he dropped his shield and eventually succumbed to it. The second was a spearsman who stabbed it enough times he eventually severed the body in half (it was a beast made out of ice or amber or something similar, so it was chip damage rather than straight up cutting it).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've got two unrelated questions:

First, I'm building essentially a guardhouse around where the entrance to my fort will be. The building will be built into a hillside, and as such one side of the building will have the ground up near the roof. If I construct floor over the grass on that side, then deconstruct the floor, will that stop invaders from getting right up against the wall? I basically want to know if I should get rid of the floors, or make a moat.

The second question is I think I have a bug with a statue I want to commission for my temple. A few of my dwarves want to pray to Igest. I commissioned a statue, and specified Igest as the image. Instead, I got a statue of a random dwarf. I tried again, and got the same result, being a different but still random dwarf. I was able to commission statues of all the other gods correctly, but Igest is being weird. Anyone know what gives there?

Make sure to check the details on the statues, I have a bunch of statues of gods that are attributed to other creatures because they're statues of the gods cursing the titular creature or the creature worshipping the god.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Is there any better way to herd your dwarves to safety than a burrow assigned to everyone? I just had my first werebear attack and lost some people who were just dawdling around outside the bridge until I was forced to close it and leave them behind to keep the beast from getting in. I see the wiki has references to military and civilian alerts but I can't seem to find any options in the Steam version that line up with that.

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 14, 2022

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I'm aware you have to select every dwarf individually now, for some reason

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have 2 high walls all around the entrance to my fort with a drawbridge acting as the gate. Is that high enough to prevent things from crawling over them?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

i vomit kittens posted:

Is there any better way at herding your dwarves to safety than a burrow assigned to everyone? I just had my first werebear attack and lost some people who were just dawdling around outside the bridge until I was forced to close it and leave them behind to keep the beast from getting in. I see the wiki has references to military and civilian alerts but I can't seem to find any options in the Steam version that line up with that.

Additionally, is there a way to bulk-assign dwarves to a burrow, because clicking a hundred thirty five times is kind of a drag.

e:

VideoWitch posted:

As far as I'm aware you have to select every dwarf individually now, for some reason

Darn :(

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

VideoWitch posted:

I had already assigned everyone to it individually, but when I unpaused many of them just continued loving around on the surface instead of heading down to it :shrug:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How do I satisfy the mandate of create large gems?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

How do I satisfy the mandate of create large gems?

Yeah you're gonna want to kill that guy sooner rather than later

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

large gems aren't hard to make at all, just root through the crafts workshop and you'll see the option to make them. you can cut rocks into them even. it's not the most useful mandate in the world but not a bad one either, you can just trade the useless things away in between export bans

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For the longest time my mayor was alternating between mandating the production of splints, or banning the export of them.

He really, really liked splints for some reason.

Now I just ignore that poo poo, I don't have a justice system set up anyhow.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait you can just craft large gems now? I thought you had to cut them and basically hope you get a large one

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah no, they're basically asking for a gem SHAPED item. Not an actual gem. You can make em out of wood if you want. I only learned this by searching for the work order and seeing the options.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

PublicOpinion posted:

Make sure to check the details on the statues, I have a bunch of statues of gods that are attributed to other creatures because they're statues of the gods cursing the titular creature or the creature worshipping the god.

I'll double check, but when i specified the statues to each god, I specifically picked only the image of the statue and only selected for that individual god. All other ~20 statues went up fine except for Igest, and for some reason I initially ended up with 2 of Athel, which was also weird.

In other, also unrelated news, I had my first elven caravan. I tried out all my poo poo, remembered that the elves hate all things wood, and then forgot that they also hate all of the turtle shell crafts I'd been pumping out for the last year. They got huffy about how we revel in death, and mourned "that poor creature". Then they took their poo poo and left. Welp, guess I won't be getting those instruments. And now would probably be a good time to learn how to military again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you've been able to make them for a long time, yeah. they're generally a waste of materials but you can always get more stone and on some embarks there are other materials that are like that (shell, etc.) so they aren't bad practice for a craftsdwarf

cutting actual gems into large gems is entirely luck-based

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Well poo poo that's good to know :v: I'm still shaking off some of my 2000s dwarf fortress habits

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'll double check, but when i specified the statues to each god, I specifically picked only the image of the statue and only selected for that individual god. All other ~20 statues went up fine except for Igest, and for some reason I initially ended up with 2 of Athel, which was also weird.

This is a reported bug. https://ptb.discord.com/channels/329272032778780672/1051698895454994512 For the kitfox room.

quote:

Many of the statues of gods are picked from events such as "Urist wrote a book after having a dream about the goddess of lust and depravity". Only, at least in previous versions, the reason was missing from the description (you'd have to look it up in Legends), so the statue would be "Urist writing a book".

So...working as intended, but guess the description is still truncated.

It's the equivalent of asking Michaelangelo to make a statue based on a certain religion, and he makes you a nude guy called Dave with no explanation....
[23:28]OgbeDi: There's a workaround. If you create an image and specify the same historical figure, it will make the statue correctly. This was an issue in .47.05 and before as well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ah, good to know. After some googling, I'm attempting to create a statue of Igest by also specifying that Igest must be talking to a female dwarf, and I guess I'll see if that would work as a deity statue for the temple.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

suddenly a goblin siege appeared, i guess the peace between my civ and theirs is over (or they came from really far away), and everything would have been fine if it had not been for the fact that I forgot I had built a backdoor into my fortress and had not remembered to install doors there... like a dozen random bards and visitors of my tavern wandered out through there and got murked lmao. the goblins ran away after one of them got killed though - and after the battle i found a random nose near my failed surface farm. i wonder if its owner is still alive, gotta check that later.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

So my dwarves finally got around to dumping the rocks jamming up my stockpiles, and kids started dying in magma mist. Perhaps I shouldn't have the dumping zones so close to the magma.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Some UI panels pause the game, and some don't.

That means there has to be a text file, somewhere, that defines those screens, and whether they pause or not, right?

And with one simple change we could have live combat logs again???

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I've had like 3 consecutive crashes trying to designate a single coffin as "a tomb for a war dog" because it works initially and then starts pulling the "owner" of the tomb from a nearby engraved slab for a dwarf before crashing

Sorry, Kûbuk, looks it's every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks garbage pit

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This dwarf's son went melancholy because I didn't have any shells for his strange mood, and he recently died. She has two lovers and is "shocked" and "grieved" over "somebody's" death recently.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This dwarf's son went melancholy because I didn't have any shells for his strange mood, and he recently died. She has two lovers and is "shocked" and "grieved" over "somebody's" death recently.

Wow.

"Yeah, you know, that kid, used to hang around all the time. Whatsisname. Yeah, I heard he died! I know! Wait he was my what?"

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

It was posted in the thread awhile back but if you want to slow down the game for combat you can use alt + - or alt + = to change the game frame rate which will slow down or speed up the simulation (dwarves, creatures, etc.). It makes it a lot easier to keep track of combat when the dwarves aren't zipping around like crazy, and potentially makes it easier when doing fluid mechanics.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I have a 'seriously injured' dwarf that cannot walk that is stranded outside of the fortress. Will someone automatically go help him? I have a chief medical dwarf assigned. Is there anything I can do to facilitate his rescue?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

johnny park posted:

I have a 'seriously injured' dwarf that cannot walk that is stranded outside of the fortress. Will someone automatically go help him? I have a chief medical dwarf assigned. Is there anything I can do to facilitate his rescue?

i had that happen once and I was able to get the dwarf moved by both assigning a medical dwarf and designating a hospital room in the fortress. no idea what furniture is mandatory for it but i assume chest + chair + table is good enough

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

johnny park posted:

The Healthcare -> Recovering Wounded job is what covers that, I think it's covered under "Orderlies" on the default work list

if you put someone on that job and disallow them from other jobs they should grab him, as long as there's nothing to scare them off from doing so when they get close

e: and yeah you'll want to have a hospital zone designated + at least 1 bed in it

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've had like 3 consecutive crashes trying to designate a single coffin as "a tomb for a war dog" because it works initially and then starts pulling the "owner" of the tomb from a nearby engraved slab for a dwarf before crashing

Sorry, Kûbuk, looks it's every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks garbage pit

What a fantastic reference, Chairman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The hospital zone did it, I think. Thanks all