Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/BillHuntBits/status/1601800465301532673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Finished my rewatch and movie is a lot of fun with some great action in the last 30 mins. While Jake was the chosen one, he wasn’t very good at that whole military strategy thing. His plan was basically to just wait for them to come, and then charge in and see what happens.

No traps or clever decoys like you often see with these types of battles (Braveheart, last samurai, etc.). Luckily the planet and the animals saved the day. Hopefully wises up in the sequel.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fuckin' finally.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

checkplease posted:

Finished my rewatch and movie is a lot of fun with some great action in the last 30 mins. While Jake was the chosen one, he wasn’t very good at that whole military strategy thing. His plan was basically to just wait for them to come, and then charge in and see what happens.

No traps or clever decoys like you often see with these types of battles (Braveheart, last samurai, etc.). Luckily the planet and the animals saved the day. Hopefully wises up in the sequel.

jake is out. spider is now general

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

banned from Starbucks posted:

jake is out. spider is now general

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

checkplease posted:

Isn't that sort of the point? Pandora is a massive integrated ecological intelligence that far exceeds any single "chosen one" running around.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

never stop posting

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I watched the extended version of Avatar on the weekend and liked it a fair bit more than the theatrical cut, which I enjoyed, but I think the extended version might fix some of the concerns people had with it. But what struck me about it was the similarities between Avatar and a old CRPG game from the early 90s that I'm not sure is known enough to classify as a cult classic called Albion.

Basically, Albion is the story of a corporate shuttle pilot named Tom Driscoll who is part of a mission to the planet Nugget, a barren, lifeless world that is rich in resources. When Tom goes out to fly a survey of the planet, a malfunction causes him and his scientist buddy Rainer Hofstedt to crash land -- and immediately realize that the planet is a verdant paradise and not barren like the initial scans claimed. And not just that, but it's home to an indigenous species of giant cat people who live in harmony with nature, the Iskai. Can Tom find some way of stopping his corporation from coming into conflict with the native people?

Now, beyond that initial hook, Albion and Avatar diverge pretty heavily. Albion gets incredibly weird in a way that Avatar doesn't. Albion has Nugget being home to a civilization of Celts from Earth (yes, really), actual demons, actual magic, a HAL 9000-esque evil computer, a metaphysical battle between the planetmind conceptual entities of Earth and Albion, and the plot kind of meanders around until the last hour or so, often because characters get involved in extremely dense philosophical discussions about the conflict between nature and technological exploitation. Avatar is a great adventure story, whereas Albion's plot is... scatter-brained.

But even then, there's all these really interesting points of comparison. For example, the Iskai worship a planet-mind entity they call the Goddess and can transfer their consciousness into other bodies via an elaborate ritual. When the technological forces of Earth overpower Tom and the heroes, it's only by a bit of a Hail Mary play by Tom and intervention by that entity that manages to save the day. Rainer, much like Grace, comes to believe in the indigenous beliefs instead of blindly dismissing them as superstition simply because he's seeing it with his own eyes. A human with a disability falls in love with a female Iskai. Then there's smaller things, like how the Iskai have a special organ that's also present on Albion's indigenous life and can basically allow you to connect on an intensely intimate level by touching it, and how Albion has a fair amount of bioluminescent flora. Both protagonists have weird, semi-prophetic dreams.

It's interesting. When I first saw a trailer for Avatar years ago, I honestly thought it was an Albion adaptation. I think the chronology doesn't line up for any claims of plagiarism (I think James Cameron says he'd written Avatar the same year Albion came out) but it's kind of interesting to see two stories that hit similar plot beats and themes and go in really different directions with it.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 13, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well, I'll let you all know in about 24 hours

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Isn't that sort of the point? Pandora is a massive integrated ecological intelligence that far exceeds any single "chosen one" running around.

Oh yeah the living planet idea of Pandora is cool. I just thought it a bit humorous how bad Jakes plan was after his hype speech and also how it differs from these sorts of underdog battles in other films usually.

But true, he’s chosen in so much as he’s another tool for the greater intelligence of pandora.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

any news on whether this is the director's cut or the standard?... love this movie, but am kinda torn between the two endings. loved the director's cut ending as a kid, but it felt pretty half-baked on a recent rewatch

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's interesting. When I first saw a trailer for Avatar years ago, I honestly thought it was an Albion adaptation. I think the chronology doesn't line up for any claims of plagiarism (I think James Cameron says he'd written Avatar the same year Albion came out) but it's kind of interesting to see two stories that hit similar plot beats and themes and go in really different directions with it.

I recently read Ursula Le Guin's 1972 novel The Word for World Is Forest. This has also been compared to Avatar and I can safely say the comparisons are justified. I tend to shrug when it comes to these matters, though. Le Guin probably took inspiration from pulpy sci-fi stories of the 40s and 50s. In music, there are only so many chords which is why it is difficult to prove song plagiarism in court. So it is with the other arts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Review embargo is lifted. Brace yourselves! :ohdear:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://i.imgur.com/pgneCVH.mp4

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

is this the phase where people say "ignore this critic, they suck" when this doesn't get 100%

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

is this the phase where people say "ignore this critic, they suck" when this doesn't get 100%

I'm sure that won't be necessary

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Reviews will be mostly positive (guessing mid 90s on RT and mid 70s on MC) and I can't blame anyone for hating on the HFR effects. The remaster post credits preview looked better than The Hobbit/Gemini Man but it's still a bit off putting.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This dude is kind of all over the map but it's hard not to get excited:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/avatar-2-the-way-of-water-review-1234791247/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup, reviews dropping all over. From Slashfilm:

quote:

"Avatar" is back in a big way with "Avatar: The Way of Water," Cameron's massive, overstuffed, overlong, exciting, eye-watering sci-fi adventure. It is a spectacle in every sense of the word; an imaginative, gorgeous, action-packed endeavor that thrills us while also having us occasionally checking our watches and wondering how much more is left. It is pure Cameron movie magic; a visual feast with some of the best blockbuster action you're likely to see. It's also a lopsided, meandering film — one starts to get the sense that for once, Cameron isn't all that interested in big action. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of big action here — the final hour of the three-hour film is essentially one long action sequence. But with "The Way of Water," Cameron is more focused on the beauty and grandeur of Pandora, a place that doesn't even exist. 

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

quote:

When “Avatar” ended, I couldn’t imagine caring about its characters enough to sit through a sequel, let alone four of them. When “The Way of Water” finally ebbed out to sea after 192 spellbinding minutes — receding into darkness with the gentlest of cliffhangers at the end of a third act defined by some of the clearest and most sensationally character-driven action sequences this side of “True Lies” — I found myself genuinely moved by the plight of Jake’s tall blue family, and champing at the bit to see what happened to them next. Never doubted Big Jim for a minute!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

"When “Avatar” ended, I couldn’t imagine caring about its characters enough to sit through a sequel, let alone four of them."

"Never doubted Big Jim for a minute!"

Who wrote that review? Lol.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
The Telegraph review, which is the only really negative one yet, is a pretty fun read if you aren't like too emotionally invested in people's opinions of the movie.
"Watching the film feel[s] like being waterboarded with turquoise cement."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/avatar-way-water-review-james-camerons-sequel-like-waterboarded/

e: interestingly, it seems like the worst reviews are almost all coming from british critics - the four lowest on Metacritic are from the BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, and Cinevue, a british indie review site.

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 13, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"The world is far too sunny and beautiful. Where is the dreary rain? Where are the grey skies? I simply couldn't immerse myself in this absurd world."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

teagone posted:

"When “Avatar” ended, I couldn’t imagine caring about its characters enough to sit through a sequel, let alone four of them."

"Never doubted Big Jim for a minute!"

Who wrote that review? Lol.

That's the Indiewire review. They're poking fun at themselves for being an Avatar 2 doubter.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

smug n stuff posted:

The Telegraph review, which is the only really negative one yet, is a pretty fun read if you aren't like too emotionally invested in people's opinions of the movie.
"Watching the film feel[s] like being waterboarded with turquoise cement."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/avatar-way-water-review-james-camerons-sequel-like-waterboarded/

e: interestingly, it seems like the worst reviews are almost all coming from british critics - the four lowest on Metacritic are from the BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, and Cinevue, a british indie review site.
It's fitting that critics from rapacious imperialism's dreary homeland would bounce off the colorful environmentalist movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
These guys all talk to each other so the British critic community might have had a guy with a good case not to like it, which colored the rest.

The USA ones might have just been one frothing nerd shoving everyone else on the hype train.

Wait for the general release! Don't try to read the tea leaves.

Note: I am not betting against Big Jim personally! I learned my lesson! I love the big blue cat people and their mindsex tails! Don't put me in a sub and send me to the Marianas, Mr. Cameron!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Incurious drivel from Nonce Island? No thanks pal!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/JonNegroni/status/1602738888665022466

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Common British L

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The British film industry famously hates Cameron so it adds up

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

unless we got some Brexit fleers working in Seattle and San Francisco, or at Time and the Daily Beast, it's looking like we cannot fully blame the British for the lack of universal praise

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The encouraging theme I’m picking up from reviews is that it’s definitely generating interest in more movies, which none of the reviewers expected from themselves.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This movies going to be insanely boring.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bip Roberts posted:

yeah, it'll be insanely boring

TO THE BOX OFFICE GOLD MINE

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
our very own docevil weighs in, in his typically insightful manner:
https://twitter.com/fart/status/1602818313884930048?s=20&t=zVRVKnuKdO6OD6oYR5SdQg

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1602760699717255168

:getin:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Is that a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM