  • Post
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Of course it could also just be a pre expansion 2t or it might have a pre-compression pygmy cylinder, early German stuff is so deranged that bmw were the sensible ones

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
MZ and Simson would like a word

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nah it's 4t. He posted some videos of the engine restoration on his channel too. They're pretty interesting.

Cw: silly middle aged dude video editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqoNLaKvscQ

Yeah, a rod driven cam.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 14, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That engine does a really good job of hiding the areas where it keeps the pushrods and whanot.

Fooled me

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I can't believe I went through all the effort necessary to pull this off and didn't change the time on the dash.

gently caress.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Could have revved up to 6900, too.

Sorry, I mean :nice:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Nice.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The revs and time legitimize it. If everything on the cluster read 420 or 69, it would seem edited.

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Strife posted:

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Strife posted:

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Strife posted:

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

prukinski posted:

I can't believe I went through all the effort necessary to pull this off and didn't change the time on the dash.

gently caress.

This rules and welcome to the “lots of effort expended on a joke” club

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i tried to do it on my CL350 but didn't correctly account for the slop in the odometer gearing :argh:

pulled it off in my car though

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Strife posted:

The revs and time legitimize it. If everything on the cluster read 420 or 69, it would seem edited.

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

Thank you thank you. This was logistically wild to pull off but I was stoked af when it all (almost) lined up. Even the shadow across the dash worked out

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

prukinski posted:

I can't believe I went through all the effort necessary to pull this off and didn't change the time on the dash.

gently caress.

:amen:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Strife posted:

Hitting 69 kph as the odometer ticks 42069 when it's 69° is an incredible accomplishment and you should be proud of your success.

:hai:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Not a cycle pic but a pic from a cycle, running a camera all the time can be really entertaining to go back and check out the "was that what I thought it was" moments

FACEDOM :wiggle:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why does he have an lpg cylinder on the outside :psyduck:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Probably for a portable grill.
It might be repurposed for compressed air storage to operate lockers and tire inflator, but those are usually dedicated tanks under the hood or the frame.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's usually an overland thing. It's only a 5lb tank. Popular amongst over landers who don't want a full size tank.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I just assumed it was the lube reserve tank

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Boxing day ride!

First in nearly a decade!
:feelsgood:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Short test ride on the FZR, to make sure it'll make it to the shop for new tires. It performed flawlessly :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lookin good!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
nice pics

might take it out today as well

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

The Dakar Rally!

Thanks to things like family and “real life, what is wrong with you get off the internet and touch some grass” I’ve already succumbed to the Dakar snowball as it started today! gently caress. As a result, more of this than usual will be recycled from last year or much lazier and stage one's results won't be up until tomorrow. Hopefully along with stage two.

I cannot recommend strongly enough listening to the dakar daily podcast. It mostly follows bikes but they are the best.
https://open.spotify.com/show/01uj5aeqDcmQR1yZ7ad05y

NBC sports also has coverage.
https://racer.com/2022/12/28/nightly-dakar-rally-coverage-begins-new-years-day-on-nbc-sports/

It’s again in Saudi Arabia so by reading this post you are helping sportswash a regime that continues to have a pretty bad humanitarian record.

I still love the race itself and by once again acknowledging the sportswashing we’re all now morally absolved of any participation in it. Right? But the US does bad things too? The british empire? No, one bad action doesn't justify other bad actions? I have a tough time with this and you should too. It happens all over and I think the very least we can do is be thoughtful about when it happens and how we react to it. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism and I like to think that you can't just say "haha, by watching this race you are now supporting all the evil things I have done. Tricked you!" But I'm not the judge.

I only care about bikes but I'm trying to include other vehicles because I like the race a lot and there are also trucks which I love and I hope you read this and also love the race. SxS and quads, you're dead to me. just kidding, I love all of you

Dakar is a rally. You have to follow a roadbook. It's... difficult. At least cars and trucks get navigators to read these pretty pictures. Husqvarna's factory team explains it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_iisT7RWc

If you read the pictures wrong it is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xbnMXv9YNQ

Red Bull has a really good set of get hyped about dakar videos. You should watch all of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZycFXb6KMw

The riders this year are largely the same as last year. KTM still sports the biggest team with factory riders on KTM, white KTM and red KTM. Then there's Honda who has gotten a lot better and actually won twice since stealing one of KTM's managers.

Honda
On team red, there's Ricky Brabec, american hero and the man whose life Talladega Nights was loosely based on.

Here is Ricky training all by himself.

Nacho Cornejo whose nickname is Nacho.

Male model Pablo Quintanilla

And joining Honda for the first time this year after Yamaha folded their factory effort (which was only Yamaha Europe anyway so...).... Wheelie boy and crowd pleaser Adrien van Beveren. Ricky Brabec does not like AVB. I don't know why but this will be fun subext to watch throughout the race.

Bang bang barreda who is super fast and SUPER GOOD at crashing has a factory Honda but had to pay his own way so is no longer a factory rider.

KTM
KTM has three teams. KTM, Husqvarna and Gas Gas.

(that's mason klein peeking in)

We only care about one though.

Husqvarna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSkvAYPjYdE
Skyler Howes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FysVpRWRRvg

You should root for Skyler Howes because he has a great story and is by all accounts a genuinely nice guy. He's coming in hot, having won Rallye du Maroc, the last rally on the calendar last year. He sold everything he owns to be able to race Dakar and then got a factory ride.

Nobody cares about the rest of the husky team. But if you did it'd be Luciano Benavides, Kevin Benavides's brother. He's also very nice. And short.

KTM
On KTM we have bush mechanic Toby Price. He fixed a tire with zip ties and rode hundreds of miles on it and is generally awesome and hilarious. Also, he's very fast. And famous (if you listen to a bunch of podcasts and follow along throughout the year) for doing things like looking for folks on tinder when he's in the middle of a bivouac a hundred miles from the nearest town. Also, he has a mullet.

God, look how beautiful that mullet is.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/watch/1981966403705

Then we have weird looking dude and Austrian so he's never getting fired from KTM and is also supposedly an amazing test rider and oh yeah he won a dakar, Matthias Walkner.

He is also good at wheelies.

Last, but not least, Gas Gas https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2948614402059640

Which has Daniel Sanders, an Australian who is 100% going to win a Dakar at some point because holy poo poo he is just so fast.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/12/10/video-sanders-pathway-to-dakar/
(I love the "Note: Video contains coarse language.")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuu4Z0BjyQ

And defending champion Sam "win it or bin it" Sunderland who is british and, guess what, also won a Dakar and then won another Dakar last year when he learned that "win it or bin it is a loving poo poo strategy for this race and actually "just don't lose on any one day" is the best way to win.

If you're counting along at home, that's Price, Walkner, Sunderland and Benavides who have all won a dakar riding for KTM and on Honda you have... RICKY BRABEC. Who used to be a 300lb roofer (seriously) and then got serious about racing. He's said one of his advantages is that his body is used to eating garbage because he wasn't always an elite athlete so he deals better with eating bivouac food for three weeks. Anyway, I'm obviously torn so am just rooting for everyone.

KTM really is one tea.... mmm, tool roll.

Sorry, distracted. One team. They all train together and here is a picture of them eating tacos. They will definitely win because of the tacos. I don't know what to tell you but if you are going to do a race you should max out on tacos beforehand because I bet it works for them.

OK, that's the teams that are contenders. Yamaha is out this year and our remaining factory teams are Indian manufacturer Hero and Chinese company Kove.

Neither will be good but Hero will be better. Chinese companies have tried to race Dakar a number of times but they have that fundamental misunderstanding of the requirements that you so often see when something looks like "just throw a bike at it how hard can it be?" but is actually "sweet baby jesus this is impossible what the gently caress?"
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/new-kove-450-rally-bike-hitting-north-american-showrooms-soon

American Hero, Andrew Short who is faster on a motorcycle with no rear tire than you are on anything else was going to ride on Yamaha but instead he is going to be a navigator for a side by side. RIP. I just wanted to post this video again. What the hell dude?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDfBOHDgBPM

Mason Klein is a young american - only 20 - and if he does well he'll probably get a factory ride next year. Look how young and helpful he is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAou9wA41Ec

Dakar is dangerous. This is CS Santosh, best Indian rider ever and very good pro rider. This is just brutal to watch and hear him talk about, but it's good to see him doing a lot better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWl1GpJ5AOo

This is the best page for results. http://trackingdakar.com/en/stage-1/bikes/waypoints/

You can look at the official Dakar YouTube channel and Redbull should have decent coverage this year, otherwise I’ll probably post some more pictures every few days because I like it a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_wma4-889E

There are also cars. I don't have a lot of stuff on the cars but there's a real focus on moving toward hybrid and eco fuel and... we'll see what happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkUIfasaO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOXCWUiyP4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr6vT6jtH4g

Yup, this picture is from testing last year. Not this year. Sorry. Touching grass is weird. Do not recommend it as it takes away from important reading about dakar time.

Nasser is back in his toyota. After he won last year, he's probably the favorite for this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPSmZR9zaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FidPPFOGwQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcqsRCkusMs

But really, probably it will be Peterhansel again. Audi is back with their hybrid electric buggy. The turbo diesel that was the generator has been replaced by an ethanol hybrid motor for this year. So we'll see how that goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrN8ZSa2r4

They also have Carlos Sainz, who's won the Dakar as well. He's still pretty good at driving, I heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0CxZ7Getw

Sebastien Loeb is also competing. He is not my favorite. Still. Maybe he will stop competing in dakar because every time he loses and that must be difficult for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMj63VUz08

The coronel brothers on the other hand are always entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXBI3_VF26M

The most important thing to remember about trucks?

loving kamaz. (3m12s in) https://youtu.be/3NP41lLs9ZQ

:siren:breaking news:sirens:
what's this? By gawd, from the top rope it's Russia invading Ukraine and getting their partially state-owned racing truck company loving ruined by sanctions. Well, if I had to call what it would take for not-Kamaz to win it would have been something like this.

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2022/09/kamaz-master-formally-kills-dakar-2023-plans/

At least they're coming out with a new dakar model to make up for it.
https://nvl5.ru/kamaz-dakar-2023-2024/

Look how easy the terrain is for the trucks compared to the bikes and cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84juglO7pM

Nice inside view of one of the non-kamaz trucks. It is still very confusing that a yellow truck might win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPd7RLZ2MOE

New rules

The really interesting new rules that were supposed to happen - having different waypoints - didn't. Because they couldn't get electronic roadbooks that you can read in the glare of the sun.

So the bikes are all going to have paper again and everyone's waypoints will be the same. https://dirtfish.com/off-road/dakar/how-navigation-is-evolving-on-the-dakar-rally/

But, there is one big rule change - to compensate for the difficulty of having to lead out in the desert vs. just following someone's tracks, they will add 1.5 second/kilometer for first, 1 second/kilometer for second and .5 second/kilometer for third until you reach the first refueling stop. The longest stage has that at 200k in so you could get up to 5 minutes if you can lead out and are then first to refueling. You almost certainly won't but it's meant to compensate for leading out and stop the game of snakes and ladders we've had the last couple years.

Links

If you just cycle through these links you'll be ahead of me, but that will be a pain in the rear end so instead just follow along here.
https://trackingdakar.com/en/stage-0/bikes/waypoints/
https://www.dakar.com/en/stage-0/bike
https://twitter.com/dakar
https://www.facebook.com/dakar/photos/?ref=page_internal
https://www.youtube.com/user/dakar/videos
https://www.dakar.com/en/withdrawal
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dakar+2023&sp=CAI%3D
https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dakar2023?src=hashtag_click&f=live
https://twitter.com/hashtag/DakarRally?src=hashtag_click&f=live
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/dakar2023/
https://lnk.bio/dakar
https://www.facebook.com/rally.pov
https://www.youtube.com/@RallyPOV/videos
https://www.youtube.com/@RalliTurkTV/videos
https://www.facebook.com/mmphotocz/photos
https://www.instagram.com/mchphotocz/
https://www.youtube.com/c/BrakeMagazine/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/AutoMundoARG/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/wwwmotoit/videos
https://www.facebook.com/patrick.trahan
https://www.facebook.com/SomosDakar/photos/?ref=page_internal
https://www.facebook.com/iGo2Dakar/
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100047240911730
https://www.stream4free.live/france-4
https://w.wallhaven.cc/full/4d/wallhaven-4d2wxl.jpg
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/2023_Dakar_Rally

https://www.instagram.com/adrienvanbeveren/
https://www.instagram.com/danielsanders_11/
https://www.instagram.com/kevinmaxbenavides/
https://www.instagram.com/tobyprice87/
https://www.instagram.com/sundersam/
https://www.instagram.com/rickybrabec/
https://www.instagram.com/skylerhowes110/
https://www.instagram.com/quintanilla102/
https://www.instagram.com/xavierdesoultrait/
https://www.instagram.com/rossbranchbw/
https://www.instagram.com/matthias_walkner/
https://www.instagram.com/francopiccoadventures/
https://www.instagram.com/joanbarredabort/
https://www.instagram.com/stefansvitko/
https://www.instagram.com/l.benavides77/
https://www.instagram.com/harithnoah8/
https://www.instagram.com/ruigoncalves999/
https://www.instagram.com/lorenzosantolino/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rad.

The kove 450 appears to be based on the old pre-bmw Husqvarna motor much like the SWM motard, no idea what if anything this means for their chances which are probably very poor.

The hero appears to be pre-ktm beta architecture and much more modern in overall configuration.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

builds character posted:

The Dakar Rally!

Finally, the real holiday season has begun.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My head hurts from reading that. But it's a good pain

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Last year was my first time following Dakar, thanks to your posts. I’m really stoked to watch it with a better understanding of what’s going on this year.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I actually only digest Dakar via BC's posts here since they moved it to Saudi Arabia. In my mind this mediates the supporting of a dreadful regime but is probably meaningless. It helps me sleep at night anyway.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

I actually only digest Dakar via BC's posts here since they moved it to Saudi Arabia. In my mind this mediates the supporting of a dreadful regime but is probably meaningless. It helps me sleep at night anyway.

I think it is an incredibly clever trick that folks have played in many areas - horrible human rights violations, environmental destruction, capitalist consumption, etc... where you do a very small bad thing that is part of living in the world and enjoying the world as is and you are then given responsibility for the very large, very bad things that other people with a great deal of power have done that are not at all your fault. Apologies for the politics, and frankly I share your concern about what an awful regime saudi arabia has and the sportswashing that they're trying to do with hosting the dakar rally and how supporting it by watching it may or may not make me complicit in that. And in lots of other areas of life. I don't know the answer, but I do love really motorcycles going very fast in the desert so I hope that by at least being thoughtful about it we're making it a little less bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your individual action doesn't matter worth a drat and the great machine gives no fucks whether you watch or not, may as well enjoy your braps before the world ends

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
There are no rules. God is dead. This post is clear evidence as I am covering the prologue, stage one and stage two all at once.

Every year someone goes out before their race has really started. This year, honors go to Eduardo Iglesias Sanches.

He's doing OK now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm1FlTeNZYb/?hl=en

But things were awfully rough after his crash in the prologue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Belonrqra6I

Daniel Sanders, on the other side of things, gives us a little show. Will he replace AVB as the fan favorite? Maybe. He finished the prologue in second.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm1Dgs7hzJe/

His countryman, Toby Price, the ninth wonder of the world finished first after a little refreshment. Remember kids, drink Red Bull and/or Monster but not the real stuff, instead the cans of water that are given to athletes for branding purposes.

Kevin Benavides, also fast, but not Toby Price. You can tell because Toby is too heavy for his bike to get air. It's OK, he's still very fast. And handsome. And beloved.

Ross Branch, the kalahari ferrari (seriously that's still his nickname) finished the prologue in third on hero. He's very good and fast so maybe hero will also finish on the podium this year (but he is not as good and as fast as the guys on honda or any of the KTMs and his bike is not as good so he will not).

"I'm sure I could do this. I am very good at driving." I hear you think. Sure, sure, but could you do it with a person in the seat next to you shouting nonsense? Probably you could. :respek: Full prologue video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTb9G7j5E-E

Get the gently caress out of the way of the trucks or you will die.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=614884633972154&ref=sharing

This video has some more angles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLYgtl8XmPw

Also get out of the way of the cars, but, you know, not as fast because they are small and you'll be fine if they hit you.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1907175389621182

If you speak italian, the folks at fantic are doing videos of the whole rally. I do not speak italian, sadly.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?ref=watch_permalink&v=569155821270760

Yes, SxSs are real vehicles and not horrible abominations driven entirely by jackasses with two coolers full of beer, a belly that jiggles like a bowl full of jelly and pristine fingernails unblackened by maintenance and I am sure deserve attention too.
https://www.facebook.com/559460983/videos/557516685965132/

Ricky Brabec wants you to know that he sees you and you matter to him.

Unless it's on course. Then the only thing that matters is speed. And honda's electricals not catching on fire or failing in another way.

The Coronel brothers continue to have fun at the dakar. Respect to them for being loaded and doing this with their money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEa7KQMLJ4

The extended highlights this year actually seem pretty decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOsmysrJPE

Good luck, dad! Have a good day at work. :3:
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609810720052416512?cxt=HHwWgMC4xcOUmdcsAAAA

The big question this year is whether Audi can come back and not have a dumpster fire of a rally with things going wrong and putting a whole shitload of stress on one of their rear suspension items that wasn't meant to bear that much weight and then it breaks over and over and your car dies and you ruin a year of Mr. Dakar. Or will Nasser in his toyota win again?

Audi started out well winning the prologue but it doesn't really matter. You can really only lose the rally in the first week. Not win it. Loeb second, Peterhansel third and Al-Attiyah (that's Nasser) fourth with Sainz a pathetic 13 seconds back in sixth. Get your head in the game, man.
https://motorsport.tv/embed/34h6j7hI-dakar-2023-top-competitors-autos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYc-gQdi41Q

And now, on to stage one.

https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609766651653951488

The first stage was long. Let's take a moment to watch Sam Sunderland's little blurb on trying to repeat. I'm sure me focusing on this right now is meaningless and nobody should worry about what happens three lines later in this post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9jwmKi7xI

We finally stole Petr Angelo Vlcec from the Czech Republic so I bought a t-shirt this year. He's lived in South Carolina forever and races his Dakar rally bike in the sandblast rally every year but this is his first year flying the US flag.

This motorbicycle, it is made of pasta. Not the al dente kind. The "this post is a racism against italians" kind. Sorry, I still don't speak italian but Kove is still in it! So that's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IINhMO1yIEo

Mason Klein leads out. Huh, weird that Sunderland isn't on there....

Oh. Oh... :ohdear:

At least he's OKish?

And his bike is OK!

Rolling with that #1 plate before the crash.

Niiiiiice. Too bad the rider retired.

Well, who hasn't lost today?

Kevin Benavides hasn't lost!

Ross Branch crashed and now his eyes are gone. Listen to this poo poo. He is so absurdly tough.
https://www.facebook.com/639925622/videos/475187984788563/

Bradley Cox is out too with a disclocated elbow.

Skyler Howes finished in eight. Good job not losing on stage one!

Other, less good American, Ricky Brabec, finished in first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSHj7h2gRso

A brief break for some heartwarming SxS content. Overheated CVT.
https://twitter.com/Tijntjuuhh/status/1609588235189248000

And in cars, Oscar Fuertes did a thing. This is going to be on all the highlights.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1609585179177132036

OK, back to bikes. The Koves made it! 1.5-2 hours off the top pace... but still faster than I'd have done it

Luciano Benavides also made it! Only ten minutes back.

Stage One extended highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RnwearO02E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCIbnPpxonc

In cars, Sainz came in first, keeping in Audi in top spot with Loeb in second, Nasser in 8th and Peterhansel in 10th.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1609890220484296704

In trucks, it's going to be the Czechs, Macik vs. Loprais, the whole way I think and probably quite confusing for them too.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609589094841212931
Pictured: not Kamaz.

Poor tiziano. I really hope he finishes. Crash at ~3m 55seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N60G4PfoM0s

Worth watching for the subtitles "dude, what's that?" "look out!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYFAF7Ps6Q

Franco Caimi from Argentina in some spectacular scenery far from home.

Sometimes the desert is wet.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609833178650316801

And now, on to stage two!

Some beautiful scenery opened up stage two.

This is appropriate spectator distance.

Carlos Sainz's bivouac is slightly different than the malle moto (or "Original by motul" bivouacs...)

This is what the refueling stops look like. Yes, you have to speak french there.
https://www.facebook.com/559460983/videos/867310207938811/

I know Ricky Brabec is no Skyler Howes, but it's just a brutal sport for everyone.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm5ilBmMHZS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

This fast and you still come in four minutes behind the leader.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1609848968640622592

Mason Klein! Remember, I called him being in line for a factory ride yesterday? It's really nice when the writers arrange things so well: he won stage two!

Just a reminder. He's twenty. Maybe twenty one now? Either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZiP7Fgkgs

Howes came in third to move up to 7th overall, five minutes back. This is a good position generally although second is probably a little faster than he wanted to finish.

Better than his riding? His mustache.

Boy howdy.

So far, Sunderland is the only top rider out of it. We'll see what the remaining days in the first week bring... I'm sure it will all be fine.

Oh.

Imagine crashing in this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq1EiOz7jKs

Ow.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609906842066620417

Mandatory SxS content.

And don't worry, in the coming days now that I've caught up and nothing will happen and I will be on time for all the remaining stages and have extra time for sure I will do another post about all the cars in the dakar classics category too.

Interviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYnoe5gIboE

In cars, Peterhansel lost 36 minutes on first, with NasserSainz winning the day and SainzNasser coming in second.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609927087988822019

Peterhansel on the Audi.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609959430715756546

It's OK though because Loeb came in an hour and twenty minutes back. Oops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJI3Ekb_ws

OK, it is impressive that they repaired their tires (after breaking all of the spares) and rode in on plugs in the Dakar Rally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j0IauhmfvM

That puts Sainz in first overall with Nasser two minutes back and Peterhansel 36 minutes back.

Something for the fetishists among you.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609886214907396096

Coronel Brothers again. Let's enjoy them until they crash out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_NRl50CJI

Some in-car action.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609915764861026304

God damnit, we went over this already. GET OUT OF THE WAY OF THE TRUCKS YOU WILL DIE.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1609946347544666113

The best constellation. Stop ruining the view, SxS.

In trucks, Macik finished an hour and twenty minutes behind Loprais, in first. van Kasteren was second - must have been an issue with timing somewhere as Loprais was two minutes faster.

Stage Two extended highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s473o7fbErM

Let's watch this video of Skyler Howes and Mason Klein hanging out. I love them and would absolutely watch a buddy cop movie about them only instead of cops they're rally racers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyjG3wL6N9M

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
While I agree that it's wrong that the responsibility for systemic problems be foisted upon the individual, I still regard it my responsibility to consume as ethically as possible - the minuteness of my efforts is not a valid excuse.

I can't do everything so I won't do anything!

I may be making 0.0001% difference, but if a few hundred thousand people make that choice, you start to seriously affect the margins of large entities and they have no choice but to change behaviour.

Ironically, the people who whinge about cancel culture are watching their beloved capitalism in action - the market decides a product (or person) is unfavourable or unviable and removes the unsold item from the shelf.

I make some choices that people find incomprehensible - veganism, not having children, boycotting companies like Nestlé or Xinjiang cotton, but could still do more - I travel too much, and some of my food is from further away than I'd like.

Still, not clicking on Dakar's adverts and supporting their social media seems to be a very small sacrifice. Unless you're Taylor Swift.

:Soapbox:

Good posts BC

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shelvocke posted:

[...]

Yeah, that's fair. I think a lesser of evils approach does make sense and is really all you can do. How much you're willing to personally sacrifice for that lesser is up to you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Strife posted:

Finally, the real holiday season has begun.
:hmmyes:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Stage Three

Bill Conger also races in the US. He is very fast and for a long time rode an Aprilia MXV550 at Sandblast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yo4kEMTocw

And he was the navigator for the new top gear goes to baja in a sxs bit. Look, there he is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up_BdQeUCJ4

Anyway, he's pretty nice in person and has raced dakar a few times on a bike and now he's back as a navigator and it is raining. A lot. I'm sure this makes the liaison extra fun for the bikes.
https://www.facebook.com/1430450718/videos/562577308720872/

Look how early it is!

Speaking of bikes, today is the first day that the new rule about leading out goes into effect. 1.5seconds/k for 1st, 1 for 2nd, .5 for 3rd. Only counts through refueling but it's meant to stop the yoyo of leading out, then dropping a ton of time, then blazing through the pack to lead out again, then dropping a ton of time. Let's see how it works, shall we?

After his (first of many I expect) stage win, Mason Klein had to lead out.

At the beginning there are five minutes between starts (and then reduces to three at some point). That means he has a five minute head start and the folks behind him get to follow his tracks until they catch up. It's a lot easier to follow tracks because it reaffirms your decisions when reading the roadbook at speed and if you're following tracks from 10+ bikes you can probably just turn your brain off and follow. Then, when you see a person in front, you can watch them for contours in the terrain. They might have to slow down for a big ditch or gully but if you see them just dip a little bit before they're through you can go full gas and hit it and this really adds up over time. Of course, once you catch them you have to be faster straight up to pass. Anyway, what this means is that everyone will be chasing him to the refueling station and if he stays in the lead until then he gets a bunch of time added back. I know it's spoiling things a bit but here, you can see the time added back, bringing him from what would have been seventh place back up to third.

First place went to Daniel "Chucky" Sanders. His nickname comes from overeating until he threw up when he was younger. Australia is a savage place where only the strong survive but it gives us men of steel like Chucky and Toby Price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1tWtxW252w

Thanks to the time bonus, Skyler Howes actually came in second instead of fifth! He had a great day. And his mustache continues to live on in spectacular glory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3mKw6UzWv4

Walkner is gutting it out after yesterday with a tenth place finish. I can't imagine riding again after a bad fall breakinghurting my wrist but there he is only losing sixteen minutes. You can tell he's really hurting because there's no instagram update and he's usually really good about those. I hope he's OK but I am skeptical he can ride an entire dakar on a broken wrist.

The big news of the day though is that our second former champion is out.

Ricky Brabec crashed 274 km into the special stage and had neck pain which is probably short for "holy poo poo this dude ragdolled like gumby being shot out of a cannon and we cannot believe he is not dead." He was absolutely flying, matching pace with Daniel Sanders, before crashing and it will be interesting to see how much longer Sanders can maintain his pace before he crashes (I think I've mentioned, as soon as Sanders learns to ride at 99 or 95% instead of 100, he's going to win a dakar).

This is particularly heartbreaking because the stage was actually shortened after the medical copters couldn't fly anymore thanks to weather. It does look pretty gross though
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1226811798232390

Fourth place went to Benavides who is in the group of top riders still in line for a victory.

And... what's this? AN MCH PHOTOGRAPHY DUMP OF THE HONDA'S MEDIA SHOTS IN MEMORY OF RICKY BRABEC'S DAKAR CHANCES?!?!?!?

I love this shot.

As our heroes ride off into the sunset, only one question remains.

Who could have placed that rock at precisely the right angle to derail Brabec's dakar hopes? Who indeed, Mr. van Beveren, who indeed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3fwshcAUYc

Old stage two photos.

At least they got the picture right on the second try.

Ross Branch, tough as nails. Eye location still unknown.

You take the low road and I'll oh god please don't run me over I'm so scared.

One of my favorite genres - not quite-flying trucks.

And actually flying cars.

And photographers!

And, obviously, bikes.

Rodolphe de Palmas.

The sun probably makes driving easier.

Good job not hitting that rock.

The MCH rides.

In Dakar classic news, gently caress yes inject that porsche with big wheels directly into my veins.

Oh, I see. :sigh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tEcgbcVgJ8

Yes, you are also fine.

And I love you too.

This will be my only "GET TO DA CHOPPA" joke for today.

You may have one SxS content, as a treat because you have made it this far.

I have never sympathized with a feeling of dejection more. This is what dakar would be like for me.

Not, no matter how much I might want it, like this.

In truck news, they have't finished yet but Macik is up front on stage and here is three minutes onboard with current leader Aleš Loprais. I want to drive this truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjf9MGK0doY

How to make tea: step one, find a nice quiet spot.

In cars, Carlos Sainz had a bad day.
https://twitter.com/SoyMotor/status/1610248540764180482

This is widely considered less good than Sebastien Loeb having a bad day.

Chicerit finished in first, with Peterhansel seven minutes back in third. Nasser finished 13th, 21 minutes back and Sainz bad day cost him 56 minutes. Loeb finished 37 minutes back thanks to moral turpitude. That means the overall is still up for grabs. Peterhansel is 21 minutes behind Nasser in the overall with Sainz 33 minutes back. Early days and you can't win yet, but you can still lose. Nobody has done that yet but Audi has work to do if they want to take the trophy.

Remember earlier when I was talking about the stage being shortened because helicopters can't fly?

And the trucks not being finished yet? Yeah, look at this. I honestly don't know what they'll do. Maybe reroute everyone when they hit refueling or checkpoints but for those in the middle of it? Good luck and welcome to Dakar.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=877819443531361

Trucks are the most virtuous vehicle.

Without them where would we be?
https://twitter.com/isma_mvp/status/1610304469488762883

A very odd motorcycle.

Pocket sand!

And gift bags!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raIdJqT4hKo

You have died.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm8qQYPBWi7

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the kalahari ferrari is the best nickname

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4