Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fire and police stations are good for this. Police actually have to buckle people into the back seat of their car as part of their job they might actually be better

You can't route the seat belt under (or forward and then over to the right) the LATCH mount point?

Another option is return that and get something else like a Mesa or Duna (doona?). Both have bases that are adjustable by like 2" to get them level

In terms of where in the car to mount it, passenger back seat is my preferred location. When you're parked on the street you're not standing in traffic loading and unloading them. Also easier to see what they're holding or whatever over your shoulder. Middle seat sounds terrible, crawling into the car and over the seat with an infant. Especially if they're sleeping and you wake them up bouncing the detachable seat off the door frame or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Why is parenthood so rad? I'm just chock full of happy brain chemistry in spite of my general exhaustion.

My toddler is forming full sentences and every word that comes from his adorable mouth is too cute to not sear into my brain with its corresponding injection of perfectly balanced dopamine and serotonin. Why are their voices so cute?!?! He's adopted the nickname of Mister No at his grandparents, but with me he's just full of talking about his day, about how his beluga plush is currently swimming in the water with his donkey plush, about why the moon isn't visible right now (clouds), or why this apple is crisp while the previous one was mush (green vs red).

A week ago, he was so sick that he was half-awake through the night -- sad, right? BUT -- he was verbal about his dreams! I got a straight-up insight into his dreams!!! He dreams about his grandmom, about lemon tea, about swimming in the pool with both his papa and his mama and his baby brother. He dreams that it is snowing outside, and he wants his shovel. He dreams about his friend at daycare and his friend's very fun dad whose name he butchers in an adorable way. All caught through snippets of verbalization between sickness-induced apnea.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Down here the fire station will help you get it set up correctly and learn to use it correctly but we had to call a few months out and make an appointment.

Maybe this is wrong but I was told by them that middle is actually statistically the safest place for a car seat. Our first one with the removable baby carrier was in the middle but our bigger convertible seat is not.

Edit: ^^ I agree with the above- despite being tired i find it very cute and awesome

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The middle is the safest place provided you can get a good install there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Police actually have to buckle people into the back seat of their car as part of their job they might actually be better.
The kind of people that the police usually throw into a cruiser won't stop breathing if their head slouches over due to being slightly off level, so perhaps it's a different skill set.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hallo spacedog posted:

Maybe this is wrong but I was told by them that middle is actually statistically the safest place for a car seat.
That's probably true from a collision standpoint, but in a lot of vehicles the middle seat isn't a "real" seat and may not have latch clips or tether anchors (for front facing).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's probably true from a collision standpoint, but in a lot of vehicles the middle seat isn't a "real" seat and may not have latch clips or tether anchors (for front facing).

The car's manual should make this clear.

The car seat manual will specify exactly how far apart the LATCH anchors are allowed to be. Similarly, your car manual will specify how far apart the LATCH are, and it will also tell you whether or not you're allowed to install a car seat there (with or without LATCH).

So even if the LATCH anchors in the middle are the right distance apart, your car seat may say no, or your car may say no.

Both the car seat and the car have to say yes to any proposed installation. If either says no, then use a different method.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Firehouses checking car seats is like, a thing. As mentioned earlier, you can take it to any one and they'll be able to help.

I've seen police do car seat checks at community events too. Maybe they'll be doing them at a local breakfast with Santa or something at this time of year?

Hadlock posted:

Another option is return that and get something else like a Mesa or Duna (doona?). Both have bases that are adjustable by like 2" to get them level

The KeyFit base is adjustable too. On all 3 cars I've installed it in though, I've had to fully extend it to the max. Never had a problem otherwise. The system is great and my only complaint is that the stroller is a little flimsy and one of the wheels is off kilter, but we treat it like poo poo and it's been gate checked on nearly a dozen flights by now. The flip side is that I get jealous looks from other Disney dads when they see how easy it is to collapse.

My first car seat install took almost an hour. Now I can knock it out in under 5 minutes. Once you get the knack you'll become an expert in no time.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks! I'm definitely taking it to the local fire department/police, I was just hoping someone else had this particular problem before.

Unfortunately the manuals don't say much. The car manual just shows the middle seatbelt behind the child car seat, but doesn't say how I'm supposed to route it.

I'm just complaining at this point, but I tried again to put it in the middle, but the way the middle seatbelt is laid out it ends up forcing the car seat to straddle the middle and passenger side rear seats, and causes the seat to tilt towards the right since the passenger seat is lower.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Renegret posted:

Firehouses checking car seats is like, a thing. As mentioned earlier, you can take it to any one and they'll be able to help.

I've seen police do car seat checks at community events too. Maybe they'll be doing them at a local breakfast with Santa or something at this time of year?

The KeyFit base is adjustable too. On all 3 cars I've installed it in though, I've had to fully extend it to the max. Never had a problem otherwise. The system is great and my only complaint is that the stroller is a little flimsy and one of the wheels is off kilter, but we treat it like poo poo and it's been gate checked on nearly a dozen flights by now. The flip side is that I get jealous looks from other Disney dads when they see how easy it is to collapse.

My first car seat install took almost an hour. Now I can knock it out in under 5 minutes. Once you get the knack you'll become an expert in no time.

Yeah we still use our key fit stroller because it is fantastic although the little guy has long outgrown the infant car seat. Man, I miss being able to just bring him inside without waking him because now the second he’s unstrapped he wakes up.

We survived a full day at Universal Studios with him today. Man, seeing him absolutely lose his poo poo laughing when we started spinning on their not teacups or him yelling WOW every time a roller coaster went by… can’t wait till my ride buddy can do bigger rides.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I can’t decide if I dislike LATCH more or less than PURPLE crying as an acronym

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cais posted:

Yeah we still use our key fit stroller because it is fantastic although the little guy has long outgrown the infant car seat. Man, I miss being able to just bring him inside without waking him because now the second he’s unstrapped he wakes up.

We survived a full day at Universal Studios with him today. Man, seeing him absolutely lose his poo poo laughing when we started spinning on their not teacups or him yelling WOW every time a roller coaster went by… can’t wait till my ride buddy can do bigger rides.

My daughter and I are amusement park besties, she's gets so excited and it's amazing

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter has picked up the phrase “I’m calling the police and you’re going to jail” from daycare, it drives me bonkers. Today I buckled her in too tightly and she said it, so I said if I went to jail she would never see me ever again. She sighed heavily and said “Oh fiiiine, you won’t go to jail, I need my mommy.” Gee thanks

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Kid is on ear infection #6 within 13 months, his doctor went “ehhh that’s not great” and referred us to the ENT. No appointments until March of course. I totally won’t mind him getting tubes in if it means we can stop having to give him antibiotics every couple months. (Surprisingly, our pharmacy had amoxicillin in stock this time.)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Daughter just vomited all over her crib. New sheets, new load of laundry, a bath, and a few stories and she’s back to bed after ~2 hours.

Doesn’t help that she had like 8 of her favorite stuffed animals in there and now I’m scrubbing them as clean as I can get them for the morning time.

Also unless she’s magically feeling better tomorrow morning it looks like they are missing daycare tomorrow. Not like I need the time to get stuff done at work or home tomorrow!

Update: I am now apparently sick with some sort of respiratory illness, though neither of my kids have respiratory symptoms. Thank goodness my wife will be home tomorrow to watch the kids, and hopefully no one else catches whatever I have. Planning on taking a COVID test tomorrow morning.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Ahh yes I remember once upon a time when my cars seats looked that clean.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ne Cede Malis posted:

This one never gets old

Was at the playground today with the car. Toddler climbed into the back seat, grabbed ~something~ off the floor and started eating it :shrug:

Toddler did not die. Too tired to look into this further

Wish my back seat looked half that clean

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The middle might be statistically safest, but it’s also statistically the most obnoxious place to put a car seat for many reasons. Your kid will be fine in whatever spot in the back seat you can get a decent install. Getting a baby in and out of the seat in the middle is the worst, anyways.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Oh yeah me too

When he barfed all over the car seat and I had to take the whole thing apart and put it through the laundry.

That was a nice 24 hours while it lasted.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Silent Linguist posted:

Kid is on ear infection #6 within 13 months, his doctor went “ehhh that’s not great” and referred us to the ENT. No appointments until March of course. I totally won’t mind him getting tubes in if it means we can stop having to give him antibiotics every couple months. (Surprisingly, our pharmacy had amoxicillin in stock this time.)

I forget if I posted this already but, same! Just had our ENT appt and we are scheduled for tubes in January. Hoping this helps with his hearing and speech since he’s 18 months and has no words. We are also starting speech therapy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

This one never gets old

Dude, Bingo should totally be in a rear-facing seat! But I guess that doesn't really make for a good camera angle.

cailleask posted:

The middle might be statistically safest, but it’s also statistically the most obnoxious place to put a car seat for many reasons. Your kid will be fine in whatever spot in the back seat you can get a decent install. Getting a baby in and out of the seat in the middle is the worst, anyways.

This. We've done the middle with a rear-facing seat once for a long trip, and it was a great success because it enabled us to seat four adults and a toddler in a station wagon. But it really is not practical. It made the child seat interfere with the back rests on both front seats. Every time we switched drivers, we had to re-adjust the straps on the child seat.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 14, 2022

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Dude, Bingo should totally be in a rear-facing seat! But I guess that doesn't really make for a good camera angle.

Huh? Bingo is four. I've seen some (rare) recommendations for rear facing up to four but not past that.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

cailleask posted:

It's not so bad for infants if you have the whole detachable base thing.

But I'm over 6' tall, so once we had our 2nd kid we discovered how truly obscene the amount of space car seats require is.

Currently the 5 year old is behind the driver seat facing forward, because if the 2.5 was there then the driver seat would have to be so far up I'd have my knees in my chest.

Shifty Pony posted:

Huh? Bingo is four. I've seen some (rare) recommendations for rear facing up to four but not past that.

The general recommendation is while you should never have them front facing before 2, best practice is to keep them rear facing as long as the seat allows it.

From the seats we've used, this is easily up to 40lbs. Not sure the height, but IIRC most growth curves you'd hit the weight first.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 14, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Hadlock posted:

This one never gets old

Was at the playground today with the car. Toddler climbed into the back seat, grabbed ~something~ off the floor and started eating it :shrug:

Toddler did not die. Too tired to look into this further

Wish my back seat looked half that clean

Younger kid has an issue taking her mask off on the school bus and apparently this is to surreptitiously munch on discarded popcorn and other snacks she finds in the floor :gonk:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Hadlock posted:

Toddler did not die. Too tired to look into this further.

Thread title.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cailleask posted:

We have 3 in the back of our Toyota Camry. The middle is the most annoying because I have to reach over another kid to get to it, and my kids think it's hilarious to tickle me.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Getting a minivan was a life changing experience. Being able to belt both kids into seats while inside the car is amazing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Panfilo posted:

Younger kid has an issue taking her mask off on the school bus and apparently this is to surreptitiously munch on discarded popcorn and other snacks she finds in the floor :gonk:

This post is a whole journey, holy poo poo

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s fine, she’s just working on leveling up her immune system.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Shifty Pony posted:

Huh, I would have assumed Bingo was about three.

I'm keeping my 4-year-old in this rear-facing seat until she outgrows it, because I'm confident it's safe until she's over the height or weight limits, and there is no real reason to switch to forward-facing.

There is some evidence that backwards-facing child seats increase safety for kids all the way up to 6 or 7 (as long as they fit in the seat). There is not an overwhelming amount of it, though, because insurance data is sparse on kids over 4 being in accidents while seated rear-facing; probably because there are no recommendations to do that anywhere. Notably, though, some car seat manufacturers are recommending their products up until school age, based on their crash test results with 6-year-old-like dummies. Example:

https://axkid.com/uk/product-category/car-seats/age/6y/

We've used an Axkid Minikid 2 since she outgrew the infant seat.

DaveSauce posted:

The general recommendation is while you should never have them front facing before 2, best practice is to keep them rear facing as long as the seat allows it.

From the seats we've used, this is easily up to 40lbs. Not sure the height, but IIRC most growth curves you'd hit the weight first.

2 would be more specifically the U.S. recommendation. It's 4 in some countries, like here in Sweden. I'm pretty sure that's not because children work differently here, so I would venture a guess that it's because of traditions or some other cultural reason.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 14, 2022

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My kid is way more likely to puke rear facing so we kind of had to go forward facing after 2.5. Although not wanting to drive anywhere because your kid *will* puke is very good crash prevention.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Huh, I would have assumed Bingo was about three.

At the beginning Bingo is four, Bluey is six, and Muffin is three. Bingo has a birthday in Duck Cake/Handstand and we see both Muffin and Bluey have a birthday in Pass the Parcel.

Mini Pony likes certain episodes a lot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Don't forget that we also get to see Socks grow older and develop across seasons.

Minigret doesn't watch too much Bluey, I watch too much Bluey.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Bingo is a dog*, and frankly she's strapped in way safer than any dog I've had in the car.

* allegedly, although my dogs would've vacuumed up those loose nuts or whatever eons ago.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
More importantly neither of them are in 5 point harnesses :colbert:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

One of the other places you can go to get car seats checked is AAA. They will do it for free for anyone and you don't need to be a member.

We're just joining this thread officially I guess. Just finished out our first 24 hours as parents. Labor for us was ~66 hours before the doctors recommended a C-section so day one for us was the first time either of us had gotten something that resembled sleep, no matter how broken up, in four days. What a ride. Really grateful and blissed out now. Now on to breastfeeding.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
66 hours :stonk:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

We weighed my 4.5 yr old today and he currently does not weigh enough to go to a booster seat just yet. In fact, his not-yet-2 sister is catching up with him in the weight department. But boy is he long

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We were going to a 'prepare for parenthood and also labour' class in the bay area, and one extremely nervous guy was a parent-to-be. We'd just bought and installed a car seat behind the passenger seat, and most of the lesson of the day was on car seats. "put them in the middle! it's the safest place!" Was a big thing in the lecture. Well, after the lecture we said 'we just got a car seat if other people want to see how it works!' so after the class, about half of us gathered 'round our car. When the nervous guy saw it was on the passenger side, he was all "OH MY GOD it's on the passenger side. How could you do this? What are you going to do about it? Don't you know it's Dangerous", like 5 minutes worth of that. I told him for his first question "well... we only just walked out of the lesson when I found out it wasn't a great idea" but he just carried on going on and on.

Later I found out that he was completely worthless with his kid, and the wife had to do literally everything and was considering a divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What does he think happens to people with two kids