Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the 12th precept: the soulless sentience is the enemy of all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Thinking about using chatGPT to write my BL submission entry

Submissions by Abominable intelligences are strictly forbidden

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

D-Pad posted:

I like the idea that the emperor is largely responsible for the chaos gods as part of a paradox. If the emperor hadn't existed to drive humanity to so much bloodshed, biological warfare, his plotting through history, and excesses of the ruling class etc the Chaos Gods would have existed but would have been orders of magnitude less powerful than they are. It's a paradox because since they exist outside of time they were that powerful before Emps was born or started down his path, but he only started down that path because of their threat, but they are only that level of a threat because he went down that path.

My view has always been that Big E can see the future but only sorta, he knows/believes he will win and get his reddit athiest super utopia and that a space marine civil war will end up happening at some point before that. since he knows this, Its also clear that he was trying to rig the deck so as to make it so only gently caress ups and the monsters would rebel against him and would be easier and more popular to crush. curz and angron and morterion arnt gonna inspire half the galaxy to rebel. They would go on bloody rampages and then be put down and that would be that.

The thing is I don't think he predicted horus would be the one who fell to chaos, nor magnus to a degree since he was basically raising him to be a living battery. i also thing he figured the Gods would never unite for long enough to beat him or find an avatar to fight for them. the thing is he can doctor strange it and the second he learns about it, he goes upon making sure that the empire will survive on impulse power until he comes back or something. idk.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Malcador: I don't feel so good. *turns to dust

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Vulkan: I can do this all day. *dies*

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The writing is so disjointed that it honestly feels like his conscious mind sees the future it wants, the Imperial Truth and his subconscious sees the future it wants, the Imperial Creed/apotheosis and they both influenced his actions to get what they want.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Lesson In Iron posted:

It was clearly a legionary of the Iron Hands, the Clan Raukaan and Legion markings on his armour confirmed it – but he had been butchered, pulled apart and put back together in the crudest way imaginable, the base mechanics of what made a legionary maintained at the expense of the perfection that the Emperor had crafted into His children’s flesh. It reminded Ferrus of greenskin work: powerful, functional, ugly. The runaway reconstructive surgery had left little of the wearer’s original armour intact, but what remained was unusually baroque in design, engraved with unfamiliar symbols and of a pattern that did not conform to any iteration of Legiones Astartes armour.
‘If I might tender an extrapolation,’ Xanthus muttered. ‘The warp is known to render space and even time mutable. Is it possible, under such a conjecture, that a Tenth Legion vessel could have become snared in this warp anomaly at some indeterminate point in the future, only to emerge – for want of a more appropriate immetereological nomenclature – now?’
Ferrus looked down at the bionically abused corpse.
An ugly future.
‘Not while I live.’

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

D-Pad posted:

Thinking about using chatGPT to write my BL submission entry

Black Griffon posted:

BLOOD gently caress ETERNAL WARRIOR OF THE FORGOTTEN CHAPTER BRAIN HUNTERS GONE TEN THOUSAND YEARS INTO FUTURE AND HAVING THE TIME OF HIS LIFE IN THE HIVE CITY GURMUGRUM"

These posts go together, somehow.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Here is my take on the god-emperor of mankind:

They are 2 separate beings.

The first is the Emperor of mankind, sat upon the Golden Throne; originally to hold the webway portal close but now it is the only thing keeping him alive. It is the thing that allows him to incarnate indefinitely, where other perpetuals would have run out of lives long ago.

However, He was aware that he was going to lose to Horus and become a fixed point in the universe. He knew that he would be worshipped as a god and thus become one for real. So he constructed a shield around himself, fueled by 1000 phykers a day, so that he would not be touched by this new being. But this God of Mankind does now exist and Robot Girlyman is 100% willing to use it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Much as it seems utterly ridiculous, that sets up the Emperor of 30k coming into conflict with the warp entity of the God-Emperor and see the Imperium being torn asunder in a civil war triggered by the Emperor insisting that his vision needs to over write whatever might already exist in an advert of egotistical violence that kills untold billions.

Which is pretty much EmperorTM

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

MrNemo posted:

Much as it seems utterly ridiculous, that sets up the Emperor of 30k coming into conflict with the warp entity of the God-Emperor and see the Imperium being torn asunder in a civil war triggered by the Emperor insisting that his vision needs to over write whatever might already exist in an advert of egotistical violence that kills untold billions.

Which is pretty much EmperorTM

That's where I think it is going.

You will have The Emperor, Valdor, and Gillyman on one side, then The State on the other with the loyalist forces splitting in two, all the while the dark side of the galaxy burns and goes a completely different way.

This is how we will get the satire back, by showing how everyone is so very wrong.

Apart from me. I am always right.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is the Dark Imperium series the one where Rowboat goes and talks to dad?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

S.J. posted:

Is the Dark Imperium series the one where Rowboat goes and talks to dad?

Talks is a bit of a stretch, more like gets psychically shouted at

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My view has always been that Big E can see the future but only sorta, he knows/believes he will win and get his reddit athiest super utopia and that a space marine civil war will end up happening at some point before that. since he knows this, Its also clear that he was trying to rig the deck so as to make it so only gently caress ups and the monsters would rebel against him and would be easier and more popular to crush. curz and angron and morterion arnt gonna inspire half the galaxy to rebel. They would go on bloody rampages and then be put down and that would be that.

The thing is I don't think he predicted horus would be the one who fell to chaos, nor magnus to a degree since he was basically raising him to be a living battery. i also thing he figured the Gods would never unite for long enough to beat him or find an avatar to fight for them. the thing is he can doctor strange it and the second he learns about it, he goes upon making sure that the empire will survive on impulse power until he comes back or something. idk.

"The Board is Set" from the book Heralds of the Siege supports this pretty heavily.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

notaspy posted:

Talks is a bit of a stretch, more like gets psychically shouted at

That's not what talking means?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

"The Board is Set" from the book Heralds of the Siege supports this pretty heavily.

yeah. like i dont think was lying to Ra when he explained the foresight. i think he sees his goal and a vague path but he doesnt see the details. so he tries to rig the game to make it easier for himself or at least more winnable.

notaspy posted:

Here is my take on the god-emperor of mankind:

They are 2 separate beings.

The first is the Emperor of mankind, sat upon the Golden Throne; originally to hold the webway portal close but now it is the only thing keeping him alive. It is the thing that allows him to incarnate indefinitely, where other perpetuals would have run out of lives long ago.

However, He was aware that he was going to lose to Horus and become a fixed point in the universe. He knew that he would be worshipped as a god and thus become one for real. So he constructed a shield around himself, fueled by 1000 phykers a day, so that he would not be touched by this new being. But this God of Mankind does now exist and Robot Girlyman is 100% willing to use it.

maybe. i think its still him but he is shattered from 10000 years of hell and poo poo and now that Abbadon goatse'd the galaxy, you start seeing Big E slowly piece himself back together again.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. i think its still him but he is shattered from 10000 years of hell and poo poo and now that Abbadon goatse'd the galaxy, you start seeing Big E slowly piece himself back together again.

the nachmund ring, lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the nachmund ring, lol

It's a gauntlet. In the grim darkness of the 40k even the goatse is power armoured.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Biplane posted:

That's not what talking means?

I mean talking assumes that everyone has a definition of terms.

When it happens to Roboute he hears four versions of the same sentence with different nouns for him and what he represents to his Father. Also, Nobody else can even tell this discussion even happened.

Also, the last book includes Big E giving a verbal slap to Mortarion, through a teenage girl who's basically being fried psychically because of the enormity of his power.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeBrooks668/status/1602317772809457665

Sounds like like Warboss won't get a regular release any time soon.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeBrooks668/status/1602317772809457665

Sounds like like Warboss won't get a regular release any time soon.

It's weird the mega edition came out months ago and we still don't even have an announcement for the regular edition. I have to assume they are saving it to coincide with a tabletop ork release coming up that maybe got delayed. Also I have the mega edition and haven't gotten around to reading it yet and I really need to get on that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

New to Warhammer 40k books (Ive read a few Dan ones and really enjoying them). I want to start the Horus Heresy, is there anything I need to read first or can I just start at #1 and go chronologically with no background knowledge?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

New to Warhammer 40k books (Ive read a few Dan ones and really enjoying them). I want to start the Horus Heresy, is there anything I need to read first or can I just start at #1 and go chronologically with no background knowledge?

just read the first couple and then skip around to abbnent and ADB ones, then a couple of the siege of terra books.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

The best piece of advice I can give you is to skip descent of angels, and probably the other Dark Angels one, because it can really kill your desire to continue. Absolute garbage.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like the old noncanon book where a character gets to the Emperor and he's a jabbering lunatic after ten thousand years of unending torture. That ruled.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DaysBefore posted:

I like the old noncanon book where a character gets to the Emperor and he's a jabbering lunatic after ten thousand years of unending torture. That ruled.
That's still as canon as anything else. If Ian Watson speaks to your conception of what makes 40K cool then don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The man knows sphincters.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Indeed. Indeed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Biplane posted:

The man knows sphincters.

The Emperor gave his 10,000 the best sphincters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

It's weird the mega edition came out months ago and we still don't even have an announcement for the regular edition. I have to assume they are saving it to coincide with a tabletop ork release coming up that maybe got delayed. Also I have the mega edition and haven't gotten around to reading it yet and I really need to get on that.

So I was in the middle of giving a possible reasoning that the book hadn't sold all that well, but then checked WarCom, for that date, and the book came out in August.

In which case then we'll see a paperback version in April, because the turnaround for hardback to paperback is like 8 months at the most.
If the WarCo search function wasn't so goddamn terrible and they ran with proper site tags, figuring this stuff out would've been so much easier.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Pandemonium when Dan Abnett?

Curious to see how the last two books dove-tail into the King in Yellow and Pandemonium

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

So I was in the middle of giving a possible reasoning that the book hadn't sold all that well, but then checked WarCom, for that date, and the book came out in August.

In which case then we'll see a paperback version in April, because the turnaround for hardback to paperback is like 8 months at the most.
If the WarCo search function wasn't so goddamn terrible and they ran with proper site tags, figuring this stuff out would've been so much easier.

No, August was the release of the limited mega edition. There is still no hardback or paperback out, it's extremely rare that BL releases a limited edition and doesn't release a regular hardback (or sometimes paperback) within 2 months of the limited release. Based on Mike's tweet they still haven't even talked to him about any regular release and it isn't up on any of the coming soon stuff they have which is already into Spring. It's just weird. The only explanation I can think of is they want to coincide with an ork tabletop release.

Waroduce posted:

Pandemonium when Dan Abnett?

Curious to see how the last two books dove-tail into the King in Yellow and Pandemonium

Almost certainly not until SoT is over because it seems pretty obvious that the ending Abnett is writing for the siege is going to tie in, via the perpetuals and enuncia etc, to the conclusion in Pandemonium. Whatever the Yellow King is up to seems to be a 10,000 year plan hatched when the Emperor was forced to occupy the throne. I think there is even a half decent chance we will get another primarch back out of it as it wouldn't surprise me if one of the missing ones was helping him.

Also, that reminds me my reddit recap this year reminded me of this absolutely excellent thread/theory somebody posted earlier this year that echoes all my thoughts and guesses about how the two tie together:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/uopn4v/spoilers_all_and_everything_on_orpheus_and_the/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

Also, that reminds me my reddit recap this year reminded me of this absolutely excellent thread/theory somebody posted earlier this year that echoes all my thoughts and guesses about how the two tie together:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/uopn4v/spoilers_all_and_everything_on_orpheus_and_the/
That thread instantly goes into wild extrapolation to explain how the Emperor's throne gets dusty instead of it being just like everywhere else humans live.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

That thread instantly goes into wild extrapolation to explain how the Emperor's throne gets dusty instead of it being just like everywhere else humans live.

Yeah I don't buy that the emperor is dying and reinstantiating over and over on the throne, but the lore has implied that the dust is shed from his corpse like dead skin cells or whatever I believe.

He makes a lot of connections that I think are valid, whether his conclusions on what they mean or not I'm not so sure, but I do believe that Valdor is really the Yellow King and it isn't a fakeout. I think that whatever he is actually up to is connected to the end of the siege and Abnett is going to tie the two together pretty strongly in the last two volumes. The theory that he is creating an army that can fight in the warp to retrieve emps soul upon death isn't a bad one, but I think it is more likely that the city is the webway plan 2.0. The whole point of the original plan was to get out of realspace and severe the connection to the warp so humanity could properly evolve into its future state. The city is described as being in a perfectly calm area of the warp that extends out far beyond its borders which leads me to believe he is employing blackstone (which would tie into the current lore quite nicely) or some other similar pariah technology to create a deadzone in the warp that has the same end result of giving humanity a place to exist cutoff from the warp. Placing that place in the warp itself is an interesting solution and ties into the theme of using chaos against chaos like with the graels. Valdor's mission was either given to him directly by the Emperor before he went on the throne, or Valdor came up with it himself after studying what the emperor tried to do and figuring out a potential plan that could accomplish the same goals in another way.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Sort of a Cheyenne mountain for a selection of humanity to hide out in while chaos consumed reality and burns itself out like the Cabal thinks needs to happen?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Sort of a Cheyenne mountain for a selection of humanity to hide out in while chaos consumed reality and burns itself out like the Cabal thinks needs to happen?

Not exactly.

Emp's original plan was for all of humanity to go into the human webway, or at the very least he wasn't going to leave any alive in real space, to allow humanity to evolve into its psychic potential safe from chaos and to also starve chaos/greatly reduce its power due to lack of humans in real space. This was why he couldn't leave any human planet alone during the great crusade. So chaos wasn't going to burn itself out like the cabal proposed but slowly starve to death. I assume the new plan (if it is real) is to do the same except since the webway is forever ruined, Valdor is creating a pocket of null space within the warp for humanity to occupy and evolve in. One could assume that as chaos weakens due to lack of access to humans it would also become easier to expand that pocket of calmness in the warp. Again, starving the chaos gods to death instead of allowing them to run wild and burn themselves out.

Of course, I am not sure it's possible to entirely starve them to death as we know there are alien races aligned or capable of feeding chaos, however they are much smaller so it should be possible to kill the chaos gods once their power was orders of magnitude less after only having access to the dregs of whatever chaos sensitive races are left in the universe. The galaxy would be left for the orks and tyranids to fight over and potentially end themselves in the fighting leaving a pristine galaxy for humanity to return to far in the future. I dunno, the exact details are unclear but it does seem to me like the City of Dust could easily serve a similar purpose to the original human webway and if the Yellow King is really Valdor that makes a lot of sense to me

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I was wondering if the new plan was some variation on "Welp. Imperial Truth didn't work, this whole unleashing the psychic potential of the human race is just a slow motion disaster. New plan! Going to replace baseline humans with everyone is Blanks now, gently caress you The Warp".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope they eventually get back to that whole pariah nexus plot point, that sounded cool

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This got spoiled for me in a BFG2 stream but did Yarrick get ganked by loving Angron? is this gonna lead to Ghazkull killing a loving Primarch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

This got spoiled for me in a BFG2 stream but did Yarrick get ganked by loving Angron? is this gonna lead to Ghazkull killing a loving Primarch?

I think that's just a fan theory that's been going around that a bunch of people picked up on. I feel like that would be the lamest thing ever if they actually wrote that out.