Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I grew up extremely dorky and nice guy-ish and everything albie did was 100% on point. In his mind this was his one chance to connect to someone and maybe even have seeeeex!!

Your assessment is correct, way too invested, but unfortunately that’s exactly how it plays out with this archetype.

Also mike white looks like he was probably a ‘nice guy’ freshmen year in college so he’s probably writing from experience lol

Oh, I 100% buy it. I had my own Nice Guy experience around that age and I think that's why he tripped my sensors. It was extremely accurate.

I also grew up in a country with a ton of predatory sex tourism so my association with "rich white guy taking sex worker halfway across the world" is :whitewater:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

matureaudiencesonly posted:

nah was not a fan of lucia. even if your interpretation of albie lands more on being a nice guy stereotype rather than a person genuinely trying but still driven by toxic narratives that they may be unconscious of, lucia was still someone who saw an opportunity to exploit someone’s weakness and take advantage of them. especially with the whole dog and pony show with the angry italian “pimp” to really play up her appearing helpless and scared. that’s a gross move and she sucks.

If he's so rich that his family is unaffected by a 50k loss it's actually good to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You cynics might also consider that albie might be advocating for his dad because his dad actually had gotten better. After all we don't know what he was like before this trip

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Seems unlikely though, given that last glimpse we got of all three generations leering at a random woman

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tbh I don't think you can be too cynical about the characters in White Lotus lol. It's a very cynical show.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Eh, if you go from claiming to be a "sex addict" (meaning you're presumably sticking your dick in "not-wife" left, right, and center) to just ogling from afar, that IS a real good improvement. :shrug:

(Obviously he hosed Lucia and Mia during the trip, I just mean looking solely at the ending.)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If getting better means only banging a sex worker two nights out of 7 then he’s on the right track!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I guess everything is relative, after all

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

If he's so rich that his family is unaffected by a 50k loss it's actually good to do.

you might be able to sway me on the eat the rich argument but her exploitation was just so she could also become a rich person and buy rich people clothing. hardly the people’s revolution happening here. i still think shes an rear end in a top hat!

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm kinda sad the show didn't really give Michael Imperioli a lot to do. Always a big fan of his after the Sopranos and he spent most of the series moping.

Now, Christopher moped a lot too, but he was at least very funny while he moped

Also, definitely no reason to hate on Lucia. If the DiGrasso's can shrug at losing 50,000 than its really no skin off their back and she did nothing wrong. Mia....well she almost killed a guy, even if he was a creep. So that's something, I guess. But they're both poor kids in a region that has nearly a 50% unemployment rate. Whatever.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 14, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wasn't her goal to buy the/a boutique?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Das Boo posted:

Oh, I 100% buy it. I had my own Nice Guy experience around that age and I think that's why he tripped my sensors. It was extremely accurate.

I also grew up in a country with a ton of predatory sex tourism so my association with "rich white guy taking sex worker halfway across the world" is :whitewater:.

This entire show must be a bit traumatic for you then :(

I will say Albie didn't start out toxic with Portia, it was only when she mentioned something about confidence did Albie think he needed to remake his personality and start touching her face and other weird poo poo lol. Not saying he's not at fault, but he clearly tried to overcorrect from the nice guy path.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mike N Eich posted:

Mia....well she almost killed a guy, even if he was a creep. So that's something, I guess. But they're both poor kids in a region that has nearly a 50% unemployment rate. Whatever.

She almost killed a guy AND her first reaction on finding out (and at this point the 'almost' part is really in the air) is to go for his job. I think that's what really clinches it for me. Even if you weigh everything and find it's not morally wrong, the reflex to go for it immediately is really ice cold.

This season had its moment but it felt really less cohesive than the first one. The three groups of tourists hardly interacted aside from the Albie/Portia fling.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 14, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Are Mia and Lucia terrible people? Yes. Do they rule? Also yes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I really want Tanya to come back as her own twin sister in season 3. Just with a mole on her face or something.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm a fool with intermittent facial blindness. Did this character show up before? Is she one of the main cast now dolled up? I'm so confused, could somebody please explain this bit? :)
https://twitter.com/zanaduxx/status/1602186974844309504/photo/1

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I'm a fool with intermittent facial blindness. Did this character show up before? Is she one of the main cast now dolled up? I'm so confused, could somebody please explain this bit? :)

She's just a hot lady for them to all leer at.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Orio posted:

Despite all her faults, Portia was the kind of terrible at her job that we should all aspire to be.

Though, how would anyone be "good" at the job of being Tanya's assistant? Tanya wants someone to psychically predict all her needs and to insulate her from any negative thoughts or experiences at all times, while never challenging her or telling her what to do. It's an impossible task, that only a complete doormat of a person like Portia could tolerate for more than a few months.

Portia probably handled the literal logistics of her job fine (booking reservations, planning travel logistics, etc.) while failing at any of the soft skill tasks that might actually have made Tanya's life easier. That boss/employee dynamic was impossible to navigate and pretty abusive. No boundaries, no structure, and super volatile communication...Portia was mostly there to be a sounding board and a punching bag when Tanya was bored or mildly inconvenienced.

roomtone posted:

He's getting played on how dire her situation is, but he's playing himself anyway. He is throwing away his previous high ground on his Dad's infidelity when it serves his own sex life. If he's such a good guy and just wants to help somebody, why specifically Lucia? Because he wants to keep having sex with her and this seems like a good way to do that while maintaining the fiction that there's an altruistic aspect to this exchange. There isn't, and even if there was, it would be patronising. But there isn't.

Yes. The whole "Achilles' cock" remark Bert makes is sadly pretty astute. All three Di Grasso men share an idealized but dehumanizing perspective on women, and they all have a pathological need for female validation, even if it looks slightly different between them.

So yeah, per your point: Albie thinks of himself as enlightened and feminist, but the fantasy of Lucia is that she's this beautiful object he is rescuing, who will adore and submit to him out of gratitude and dependence. "My prince charming." Dom and Bert don't romanticize it quite like that, but are no less self-serving. Sex = validation, makes them feel attractive or vital or valuable. The actual pershonhood of the women involved is way less important than the role they play in their fantasies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao very cool and normal relationship to pop culture

Edit: referring to people who use Twitter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

I really want Tanya to come back as her own twin sister in season 3. Just with a mole on her face or something.

Totally. Hard to imagine the show wouldn't lose a step without Jennifer Coolidge. It needs to have one character you know will be fantastic every week because the other plotlines always have some episodes where they're missing more than they hit.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whelp, that season was good TV. Is season one worth going back to watch?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lampsacus posted:

Absolutely! :getin:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Oh for sure

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Lampsacus posted:

I'm so confused, could somebody please explain this bit? :)

even though they have superficial differences in the way they express it (unapologetic old guy / "sex addict" gen x-er / woke softboy), all three generations ultimately have the same attitude towards women

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Everything about this show is great. Trends between genres constantly and you really don't know what to expect to come next.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

They spend the entire week judging and criticizing each other for one anothers’ approach to women, but at the end of the day they pretty much all like the same thing and always will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why is that Twitter writer so proud of being able to read the most plain text imaginable lol

Culture is poop

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

Why is that Twitter writer so proud of being able to read the most plain text imaginable lol

Culture is poop
I think you're imagining a sense of pride that is not present in the tweet. They're just talking about a part of the show they liked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think you're imagining a sense of pride that is not present in the tweet. They're just talking about a part of the show they liked.

no, i know what it is. it's just, when you stop engaging with this stuff, after a while you start to see just how... bad it all is. it's embarrassing.

edit: and everyone who thinks their thoughts are important enough to be "tweeted" is deffo proud of said thoughts or whatever. i mean that's not even something to be argued. by definition you wouldn't tweet a thought you weren't in some sense "proud" of, unless you truly don't care about wasting other people's time

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Are you proud of your posts

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i think they hoped that making the observation that men are toxic would get them some likes. it got 7k+ so they're probably pretty proud now.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 14, 2022

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't understand what the failed distant relative excursion has to do with the toxicity in any way other than the most tenuous abstract notion of entitlement.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
My takeaway on how the relationships developed for the two couples isn't that pessimistic at the end of the day. While it's certainly not a relationship I'd like to be in, I feel like Daphne and Cam really do love each other. My perception of them over the course of the show kind of mirrored Harper's... it went from "they're not the perfect couple, obviously they're hiding something hosed up" to "they're a perfect couple because of the hosed up stuff they're hiding". I think spending a little bit of time in their world gave Ethan and Harper some context that made them appreciate what they have together, and what they don't have.

Also really loved them knocking over the bust when they had sex. It felt like such a fourth-wall-breaking wink from the show at the same time the pieces came together about the discovered bodies, saying "Okay, maybe jealousy and marital strife don't always have to lead to death and destruction".

Also a friend brought up the last line of Eyes Wide Shut, which I think fits perfectly with Harper's "what's gonna happen to us?" -- jealousy happens, usually it's stupid. Go have sex with your wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rVHVJ7v7gM

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

to have enough money that the reaction to getting scammed out of €50k is the same as a suddenly losing a one euro coin down the storm drain :sigh:

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Oh hey that was Todd from The Magicians

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I think it was a great move to show that, no, actually, Cameron and Daphne are weirdly genuinely in love and attracted to each other. They just...think it's real sexy to "play games" with each others' minds...including cheating.

It kind of reminds me of those toxic relationships, where the members get addicted to the cycle of "fights and drama ---> make up ---> fights and drama ---> make up", while viewing normal relationships as "boring" or "not passionate".

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
do people really find it weird that some guys looked at a hot person walking by
literally everyone does that

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You’re supposed to try to be subtle about it.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

helsabot posted:

do people really find it weird that some guys looked at a hot person walking by
literally everyone does that

no it's a sign of their common male toxicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm a lady in a long-term happy relationship and even I'd probably turn into a Tex Avery wolf at THAT lady, goddamn.

Anyway, so I guess Greg was having an affair AND plotting to murder Tanya? I just realized we never got an explanation of who he was talking to on the phone...guess the fortune teller was right, eh? I seem to remember it being a woman's voice whom he tells 'She has no idea' and 'I love you'" (otherwise I'd think we'd be supposed to assume it's Quentin?)