Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wtf does "population collapse" even mean? I heard the population was 8 billion and before that the only count i knew about was 4 billion. So in my mind the population is doing fine, unless to him, its a certain type of population, one thats not so.... brown and poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"Population collapse" matters only if you're a capitalist in need of ever-cheaper labor, because you believe in line only going up / unbound growth.

.. and what you said.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hihohe posted:

Wtf does "population collapse" even mean? I heard the population was 8 billion and before that the only count i knew about was 4 billion. So in my mind the population is doing fine, unless to him, its a certain type of population, one thats not so.... brown and poor.

He means a population collapse that can be explained in about 14 words.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hihohe posted:

It's that combined with an inability to understand that something trending a certain way won't keep going that way forever. Like, Musk heard that population growth in some countries was negative and deduced that in a few decades there will be no more humans because we'll eventually run out of people! Or, from his point of view, we'll run out of white people which is all that matters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hihohe posted:

Not enough white people.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Kit Walker posted:

It's that combined with an inability to understand that something trending a certain way won't keep going that way forever. Like, Musk heard that population growth in some countries was negative and deduced that in a few decades there will be no more humans because we'll eventually run out of people! Or, from his point of view, we'll run out of white people which is all that matters

Pretty much this, it's the idea that as nations get richer, they have fewer kids and an aging population which sucks up a lot of resources. It's really only a concern if you're a racist society, like Japan, and get squicked out at the thought of foreigners filling necessary niches in your economy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you hear a white South African talking about "population collapse" you need to be thinking "White genocide conspiracy theory" or " great replacement theory."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_genocide_conspiracy_theory

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/mahou_mage/status/1601839642722021376
https://twitter.com/mahou_mage/status/1602222376669675529

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Desert Bus posted:

If you hear a white South African talking about "population collapse" you need to be thinking "White genocide conspiracy theory" or " great replacement theory."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_genocide_conspiracy_theory

Would anyone even miss white South Africans if this conspiracy was real? I mean aside from, like, Charlize Theron and the guy who made District 9.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hihohe posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's a whole pile of comments I probably shouldn't have read because jesus wept there's some morons on twitter.

Is it really so difficult to conceive of people not wanting to gently caress? I don't want to gently caress 99% of people I encounter, 100% is not a big leap. Do these people just only experience interpersonal relationships via the medium of wanting to gently caress?

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Dec 13, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

Well that's a whole pile of comments I probably shouldn't have read because jesus wept there's some morons on twitter.

Is it really so difficult to conceive of people not wanting to gently caress? I don't want to gently caress 99% of people I encounter, 100% is not a big leap. Do these people just only experience interpersonal relationships via the medium of wanting to gently caress?

It's the only way of explaining a godawful huge portion of history.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

This is a good post. Wanna gently caress?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes.

I get that that was rehtorical, but yes. Their only concept of interpersonal relationships is "fuckable" and "Not fuckable".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Regarding the right-wing meth subreddit, I just want to say, I grew up in a meth den and 100% of the meth heads my parents sold to were the most right-wing fascist people I've ever met in my life. I've always associated meth with right-wingers, just not the right-wingers who have money.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Dec 13, 2022

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Would anyone even miss white South Africans if this conspiracy was real? I mean aside from, like, Charlize Theron and the guy who made District 9.

Don't forget Breyten Breytenbach.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Don't forget Breyten Breytenbach.

Ah, he's quite a nice south african.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SiKboy posted:

Ah, he's quite a nice south african.
He's barely smelly at all!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

credburn posted:

Regarding the right-wing meth subreddit, I just want to say, I grew up in a meth den and 100% of the meth heads my parents sold to were the most right-wing fascist people I've ever met in my life. I've always associated meth with right-wingers, just not the right-wingers who have money.

This is spot on except the poor methheads can't afford meth anymore in my area so now it's only the rich right wingers and five black communists that are willing to smoke that poo poo.

There were a lot of leftist methheads here but we all got sober enough to switch to growing megaweed and stopped there.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

He's barely smelly at all!

Yeah, I heard that's why they put him in prison

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You saying you wouldn't miss me :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madkal posted:

You saying you wouldn't miss me :(

You shall live.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Said it before but I also have met a Nice South African. They exist, I gather most of them are expats though. I mean poo poo, I'd leave Canada too if I had the money and secure job to land in like, NZ.

So we've got a couple goons, Charlize Theron, Sharlto Copley and Neil Blomkamp (are we sure about them though?)... I'll add Orville Peck to the list as he's sweet and a really good artist. Conversely, I wouldn't mind to see Die Antwoord bumped up to the front of the line.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mister Speaker posted:

Said it before but I also have met a Nice South African. They exist, I gather most of them are expats though. I mean poo poo, I'd leave Canada too if I had the money and secure job to land in like, NZ.

So we've got a couple goons, Charlize Theron, Sharlto Copley and Neil Blomkamp (are we sure about them though?)... I'll add Orville Peck to the list as he's sweet and a really good artist. Conversely, I wouldn't mind to see Die Antwoord bumped up to the front of the line.

Wow. Never knew that Orvillle was South African, or that he used to be a drummer in one of my fave punk/grunge bands of the last 10 years.
Die Antwoord you can leave (imo). Besides the idea of appropriating certain cultures, which sure, they are kind of toxic in their own unique ways, which is a shame because Watkin Jones' band before Die Antwoord was pretty solid.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Remember that clip of a noted sexcreep exposing himself and getting booted from a show's livestream? Well in a new article one of the people on stream says you didn't actually see that. Naturally weirdos online have things to say too!

What I love about this is there's totally an army of sad people constantly name searching Vic or just things they find relevant to him and rush to defend his honor. I have friends who were victims of his, and anything public that mentions him or sometimes even just a con he's not invited to and their own careers will get a rando accusing them of being lying sluts

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Madkal posted:

Wow. Never knew that Orvillle was South African, or that he used to be a drummer in one of my fave punk/grunge bands of the last 10 years.
Die Antwoord you can leave (imo). Besides the idea of appropriating certain cultures, which sure, they are kind of toxic in their own unique ways, which is a shame because Watkin Jones' band before Die Antwoord was pretty solid.

Yep, Peck is Afrikaans although I think he's lived here in Canada for years. You'd never know it with the voice he puts on, and I've never met him (seen him around though) but one of his brothers, who I have met, does have a thick Afrikaans accent.

In case it wasn't clear, I can't stand Die Antwoord either; after the grooming allegations I've dropped them entirely. I only really dug a couple songs from their first album.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Said it before but I also have met a Nice South African. They exist, I gather most of them are expats though.

You never ask someone from South Africa why they moved to Perth in the 90s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HonkIfUrHoary/status/1602508779727343616
Thread

Not standard IoSM fare but this seems like the best place.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/HonkIfUrHoary/status/1602508779727343616
Thread

Not standard IoSM fare but this seems like the best place.

That's about an IoSM though, isn't it? Unless Im thinking of another case like that. It's an influencer who refuses to let her cash cow bird be treated like livestock and so is putting a lot of other animals and humans at risk while she pretends to play farmer for engagement. Hell she even hid the bird from authorities since he met the criteria for being put down.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

credburn posted:

My dad was into meth and crack for decades, he now takes part in the convoy protests and posts relentless amounts of Q and Infowars garbage on facebook :toot:

I have no clue how he's managed to stay alive this long. It baffles me more than anything. I cut him off when I was 17, but I check his profile to find out if he's dead yet because he keeps trying to track me down and I want to know when I can finally relax. Every time I see new posts I'm disappointed.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't know if this belongs here but can anyone figure out what the hell the yellow things are? To me it looks like Simpsons kissing and one has their eye open but I realize this probably isn't the case.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Dixville posted:

I don't know if this belongs here but can anyone figure out what the hell the yellow things are? To me it looks like Simpsons kissing and one has their eye open but I realize this probably isn't the case.

It’s a face covering their eyes with their hands but peeking out of one eye

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Yeah; it’s this emoji on iOS: 🫣

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Dec 14, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

By now there must be linguists and sociologists out there who have earned doctorates for analyzing the miscommunications caused by the differing renderings of particular emoji on different platforms.

e:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mister Speaker posted:

Gandhi was nice and probably meets some definition of being South African.

Dr. Stab has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Dec 14, 2022

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dr. Stab posted:

Huh, I learned something about Gandhi today

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Don’t forget whoever invented biltong.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

The one where he was insanely racist against black people?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dr. Stab posted:

Gandhi wasn't nice. Dude was virulently racist back in his South African days (though repented), was physically abusive to his wife and famously slept naked with teenage relatives to prove he had the willpower not to molest them (and never repented for those). Absolutely an important man and someone who did real good in the world, but incredibly flawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Specifically, it's there to disrupt OCR looking for swears or other words that might trigger demonetization.