Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

big cummers ONLY posted:

Why are they FOMOing when you can still get 2020 jumpstart for like $100? Is there something in the leaves suggesting they won't print enough? The EV isn't even as high as 2020, at least according to one single YouTube vid I watched

can't get the new Legends for Commander in J20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's funny cause I used to spend $500~ a year on sealed product and in 2023 I don't even know if there's a product I'll want. They used to have my money with every set like clockwork but now I'm buying even less, and the money I do spend is mostly straight to the LGS for singles and sleeves. Like I do want LotR cards but I can't even justify buying boosters for fun anymore when I don't draft. The value has never been good but my broken brain used to perceive it as good because I was having fun gambling. Now it's impossible for me to keep up so I just walk away.

Haven't seen many people talking about the new Jumpstart itt, how are yall liking it? We will be playing our first games with the packs I bought this weekend.

I agree but also, this is a good thing! For my gambling kick I just play Arena since it's so much cheaper, i can play as much as i want, and paper standard is dead most places anyways, and then for the formats i actually want to play irl (like pioneer, which is the best at giving me nostalgic feelings of paper standard FNM's of yore) i can just buy singles cheaply at LGS or on TCGplayer. punishing hasbro with your wallet is good!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I still buy a lot of sealed product, but I go into it knowing how much I'm going to spend approximately and try to pre-order from my LGS at the earliest possible moment before their distributor raises prices due to spoilers. I also pay for some of what I get in store credit from trade-ins. If I didn't collect, I would be buying singles.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Judgy Fucker posted:

I know there's already Sheoldred but turn 3 Gix into turn 4 Obliterator in standard sounds fun

Also, is that a rare planeswalker? Was War of the Spark the last time they printed non-mythic walkers?

Yeah, there's going to be 10 Walkers in the set
Jace, Koth, Vraska, Kaya, Lukka, Wandering Emperor, Nissa, Tyvan, Natiri and Kaito
5 will be Compleated versions

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, there's going to be 10 Walkers in the set
Jace, Koth, Vraska, Kaya, Lukka, Wandering Emperor, Nissa, Tyvan, Natiri and Kaito
5 will be Compleated versions

Betting on Kaito, Nahiri, Tyvan, Kaya, and Vraska getting turned.

Also that Venser art is gruesome, yeesh.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

They are going to compleat Nahiri and I will be so mad.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Did they say 5 of them are being compleated in the video cause it's not mentioned in the text article

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I hope Jace gets completed and the premier black removal common is Vraska tearfully turning him into stone.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

dragon enthusiast posted:

Did they say 5 of them are being compleated in the video cause it's not mentioned in the text article

Yep. Koth is confirmed safe from compleation but 5 of the other 9 will be compleated. And all 10 have art of their compleated forms, as a cherry on top.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

I hope Jace gets completed and the premier black removal common is Vraska tearfully turning him into stone.

B - Instant: Destroy target Planeswalker

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm def gonna have to get a Junji-Norn. Oh boy. Lot of good art this set so far

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

W.T. Fits posted:

10 planeswalkers in the set.

Jace
Kaito
Kaya
Koth
Lukka
Nahiri
Nissa
Tyvar
Vraska
The Wandering Emperor

5 of them will be compleated, though we don't know which ones yet (concept art for all of them was posted).

Guessing Jace is bulletproof, much as I'd like him dead, probably Vraska compleated for her background. Lukka is another mostly monored walker (I think it's just his wolf buddy that ever gave him white identity?) so with Koth being here and him not being a high profile character I think he's for it. I guess one of Tyvar or Nissa being as they're monogreen mostly. One of Kaito or Wanderer I suppose, I'd guess the later but hopefully they'll avoid fridging, either works. Kaya and Nahiri don't obviously pair off with anyone, Nahiri I think still has storyline with Sorin although maybe they just walked away from it. Would suck to lose Kaya though, unless they are looking very long term to a new Ravnica set with Teysa finally getting to take charge of the Orzhov and I'm not sure she even had a problem with the arrangement under Kaya. But if Kaya is chasing Nahiri off the end of WotS to bring them both here I suppose either both or neither works.

Edit: although unless they do something for monocolor ones or introduce second colours to some of them it's the two-colour ones at risk as I just remembered the Compleated rule. So Kaya, Nahiri, Kaito, Vraska at risk. Nissa has been GB but that doubles up with Vraska, guess Lukka could be RW with his wolf pal on the card?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 14, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lol at letting someone out-creep Junji Ito in the same set. That's amazing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Jace specifically looks to have Luxior that he's pulling out of his chest which is really specific imagery for if it's something that doesn't happen, and the sword from the March of the Machine symbol specifically has elements from Godsend, so I'm calling that that's an actual specific story moment and Jace really is one of the ones getting compleated, (but we won't be rid of him because they're uncompleating at least some of them after MotM)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

im gonna use this whatever it does.

and jeez the prices for everything shoot way the hell up after previews dont they? buying sealed product is a bad idea for all reasons but even if you want to, seems like to not get ripped you either preorder and hope the set is good, or you wait for whatever brief dip the product eventually gets in some sale before it just climbs forever.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'd bet on a Karn's Bastion reprint, since Proliferate is back.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah they're telegraphing the eventual discovery of de-compleation pretty hard imo, I wouldn't be surprised to see some main characters get got

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
depleation

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Compleat jace and throw him into a ditch forever please

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Boy, I keep confusing Glissa and Nissa

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Compleat jace and throw him into a ditch forever please

I'm too new to know the lore but the Zendikar booster box is the thingy I use to hold loose unsorted cards and I keep wanting to buy a new booster box to replace his boring walmart-tom-cruise rear end face with anything else.

I did watch a lore video once of the very early stuff when they were still getting their lore legs together and they ended up making some boring European Adventure McGee the main star for a long time till people got really bored of this pretty milquetoast character. Just from the Jace I'm aware of he kinda seems like Plainy McGee too.

I hope after this nostalgia arc they bust out some new characters and planeswalkers.

If nothing else, Teferi (and others)is cool but they need to give him some new poses and art. I got like 3 or 4 random Teferii I haven't used, but when scrolling my rare box I have to double take because they all look the same at a glance, arms up holding a stick doing some blue poo poo at roughly the same angle and composition.

edit: I looked up the Teferis and looks like I lucked out specifically getting a bunch of arms up w stick blue glowy ones but he has a couple with his arms down. He also apparently used to have a pretty sweet hat, why'd he ditch it? And no Teferi's Hat artifact card?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 14, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: although unless they do something for monocolor ones or introduce second colours to some of them it's the two-colour ones at risk as I just remembered the Compleated rule. So Kaya, Nahiri, Kaito, Vraska at risk. Nissa has been GB but that doubles up with Vraska, guess Lukka could be RW with his wolf pal on the card?

Good list, I like that they hinted these also with story beats, i.e. Kaya has to go first since she can go toe to toe with Preators (I assume same with Vraska), or Kaito being too overconfident (and again same with Nahiri), Lukka is a clueless punk.

Kaya WB
Kaito UB
Vraska/Nissa GB
Lukka RW
Nahiri BR (I assume they won't double-up on pairs, also everything about her after Zendikar screams egomania)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

I'm too new to know the lore but the Zendikar booster box is the thingy I use to hold loose unsorted cards and I keep wanting to buy a new booster box to replace his boring walmart-tom-cruise rear end face with anything else.

He's boring as hell and also a skeezy (kinda?) rapist, since he used his mind powers to essentially work his way into quite a few peoples' pants, including Vraska and Emmara

gently caress jace forever basically

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

It would be a plot twist if Lukka doesn't end up being compleated. Dude is a fuckup who manages to make every situation worse

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
drafting Dominaria Remastered is miserable, holy poo poo

this is gonna be a pure EV machine :/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's a nice sized container to hold your commander deck, and any tokens/dice you might bring along with it? any thread favorites?

I'll need like four, probably

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I like the Gamegenic boxes, I think the Watchtower 100+ XL is the one for a commander deck & accessories.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's a nice sized container to hold your commander deck, and any tokens/dice you might bring along with it? any thread favorites?

I'll need like four, probably

Boulders or Gamegenic Convertibles are my favourite deck boxes. They’re Indestructible and relatively inexpensive (Boulders are dirt cheap). I keep tokens in their own separate deckbox and dice in a bag and put everything in a TimBuk2 messenger bag.

Serf
May 5, 2011

When I need dice to go with a deck I use the Satin Tower. If the deck doesn't use dice I find that the Boulder works just fine for a deck + tokens.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Retcon posted:

It would be a plot twist if Lukka doesn't end up being compleated. Dude is a fuckup who manages to make every situation worse

I think you've twigged on to how the Phyrexians are defeated.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Anybody trying Explorer on Arena since it just got a little closer to full on Pioneer? So far we have rakdos midrange and rakdos sac, mono U spirits, mono G ramp, abzan greasefang, u/w control, mono-w humans, and 4-color fires, all with minor changes.

But, since it is a slightly lower power level than pioneer on average, there might be a few other archetypes that are still viable for now. I'm kinda interested in seeing how that shakes out!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
explorer's been fun, though i haven't looked to see what people have brewed for decks with the new anthology yet

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Serf posted:

When I need dice to go with a deck I use the Satin Tower. If the deck doesn't use dice I find that the Boulder works just fine for a deck + tokens.

I was just thinking tokens and maybe like a spindown dice, not too many accessories.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

Anybody trying Explorer on Arena since it just got a little closer to full on Pioneer? So far we have rakdos midrange and rakdos sac, mono U spirits, mono G ramp, abzan greasefang, u/w control, mono-w humans, and 4-color fires, all with minor changes.

But, since it is a slightly lower power level than pioneer on average, there might be a few other archetypes that are still viable for now. I'm kinda interested in seeing how that shakes out!

RG Vehicles is an okay Pioneer deck that is mostly untouched in Explorer. I hate the mono g matchup tho so I wouldn’t play it until everyone has Nykthosing out of their system in a few days.

Mono G is still missing Oath and some of the tech/combo cards in the board but I’ll be really surprised if Nykthos doesn’t make it one of the best and most played decks in the format. It’s the perfect combination of easy to play and clicky. That, RB and Mono W are my 3 picks for meta leaders at first.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Serf
May 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was just thinking tokens and maybe like a spindown dice, not too many accessories.

If you want it all in one package, then the Satin Tower is my recommendation. The big spindowns they put in bundles these days won't fit, but older ones should.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Good list, I like that they hinted these also with story beats, i.e. Kaya has to go first since she can go toe to toe with Preators (I assume same with Vraska), or Kaito being too overconfident (and again same with Nahiri), Lukka is a clueless punk.

Kaya WB
Kaito UB
Vraska/Nissa GB
Lukka RW
Nahiri BR (I assume they won't double-up on pairs, also everything about her after Zendikar screams egomania)

BR for Nahiri might work, I always think of her being strongly tied to white being a Kor but BR artifact mechanics could work for her, especially with the phyrexian association, although a lot of your proposed pairings, whilst making sense, are part black. I think she needs to survive and be put down/saved/both by Sorin to resolve their thing though.

Guess it makes sense to not double up on pairings we've seen from Tamiyo and Ajani which doesn't seem to be an issue based on the above accept I think Vraska stays GB and that means one of the elves gets a new second color, which I don't think can be black (Vraska) white (Ajani) blue (Tamyo) so is one of them going to be red? I could actually see Lukka in RG actually.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A Moose posted:

I played some mono-white humans today. It was pretty fun, have mainly been playing weird decks though, no mono green Nykthos yet.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I did play against 1 guy who tried to go infinite with Acererak in Explorer, using Bontu's Monument, Inkeeper, and Gwenna, Eyes of Gaea. It didn't work, but he did place Acererak a LOT. He also had Goreclaw in there to reduce the cost and also apply pressure. I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors, taking that into ranked takes courage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A Moose posted:

I did play against 1 guy who tried to go infinite with Acererak in Explorer, using Bontu's Monument, Inkeeper, and Gwenna, Eyes of Gaea. It didn't work, but he did place Acererak a LOT. He also had Goreclaw in there to reduce the cost and also apply pressure. I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors, taking that into ranked takes courage.
This guy is my hero.