Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dang man, glad you recovered from all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Dang man, glad you recovered from all that.

Thanks, still recovering actually I'm week 3 in from the total knee reconstruction.

But I survived, it wasn't AS BAD as it could have been, and hopefully at the end of the day the person that pulled out infront of me learns a huge lesson (I know she was already charged by the police so that'll do it)

My insurance will pay for all the gear, but I need to buy the gear again and they'll reimburse me. So I guess if anyone wants a new jacket or helmet lmk? lol

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

My insurance will pay for all the gear, but I need to buy the gear again and they'll reimburse me. So I guess if anyone wants a new jacket or helmet lmk? lol

They seriously won't just reimburse you for your initial purchases? Amazing.

Yeah, sorry to hear. Bad news in CA lately. Glad you're OK.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Glad you're doing better.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

They seriously won't just reimburse you for your initial purchases? Amazing.

Yeah, sorry to hear. Bad news in CA lately. Glad you're OK.

Nope, I thought that at first so I submitted all the receipts from purchase

And was told no no, this is reimbursement for any purchase AFTER the accident for new gear..

Which I unfortunately won't be needing anymore, but maybe can find a way to pay it forward to another goon?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I’m really glad you’re on the mend and here to tell the tale.

As a fellow newbie, I appreciate you sharing this. I think a lot of people watch or read crash stories so they can pretend it couldn’t happen to them because they would have zigged when you zagged or whatever. I hope I never do that.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
After it snowed I was pretty sure I was done for the year but it melted and it was nice enough to go for a ride today. I flushed the brake fluid in the front brake and headed out. I could be imagining it but I think replacing the brake fluid made the front brake feel better. I was worried that everything I learned from earlier this year would have fallen out of my head but it didn't. I am usually anxious before heading out but by the time I get to the main road that's all gone. It only takes about 1 minute to remember that riding a motorcycle is cool and fun.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I was derisking my life a bit before our wedding reception last weekend, so I didn’t ride for probably month prior and now it’s cold and rainy (by southern Arizona standards). Haven’t really felt the desire to ride :(, makes me sad that bike is just sitting in the shed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Still commuting a few days a week in Portland :smugdog:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I haven't been able to ride since before DST ended. So much for global warming :smuggo:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Portland as well and while I don't commute, I take the bike out a couple times a week if it's above 40. I almost have all the rain gear too so rain isn't bad. Next week will be too cold though, hand are the limiting factor at this point.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I put heated grips on around Thanksgiving.
I just wear my regular office attire and throw on a Tourmaster Transition coat and pants over that. Scarf + good socks have made a 22 mile commute down to 33 degrees pretty comfortable. I guess the Strom's barn door Dad screen might have something to do with it, too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I could have pushed it until last week when we got our first actual snow, but I didnt, like a coward

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Heated grips make an absolute world of difference.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Geekboy posted:

Heated grips make an absolute world of difference.

Truth.

I rode intil the salt was spread in late November. Now there's snow and ice and it's too cold for salt to work. Next week there might be a weather window to get a ride or two in, we'll see.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Planning to ride all winter again, but I don't want to put any more money into this bike, so no heated grips for me.
Mainly riding for utility (getting groceries etc).

I did fix up my bicycle and have actually put more miles on that in recent weeks.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A very fine Oregon driver pulling a trailer full of unsecured poo poo lost a king size mattress in front of me today. Thankfully I was able to see this nonsense from a literal mile away, slow down, and go around.
Just why the gently caress would you do that?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

TotalLossBrain posted:

A very fine Oregon driver pulling a trailer full of unsecured poo poo lost a king size mattress in front of me today. Thankfully I was able to see this nonsense from a literal mile away, slow down, and go around.
Just why the gently caress would you do that?

People are idiots, they are lazy and cheap. Rather than buying a cargo net or a few ratchet straps, they just throw heavy things in thinking they will weigh everything down. Unsecured loads are probably one of the most fear inducing things I could think of while riding on the highway. Mattresses are one of those things which people think weigh enough not to go anywhere but they're a sail the moment you get up to speed.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Not two days ago I passed a couple guys running back along the shoulder to grab a mattress they lost, sure was glad I wasn't behind it. After almost getting killed by a roll of carpet once I definitely Trust No Load and try to minimize my time behind loaded pickup beds at any distance.

I guess being charitable, moving days are pretty exhausting and most people are bad at packing things until they've seen a variety of ways in which loads fail.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Verman posted:

Unsecured loads are probably one of the most fear inducing things I could think of while riding on the highway.

Pretty sure that's how Strife ended up a cyborg

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Pretty sure that's how Strife ended up a cyborg

That’s the clone; Cable is the cyborg.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was hoping for some more unseasonably warm days but it looks like that well has run dry so it's time to hibernate. We'll get back out in the spring.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Midjack posted:

I was hoping for some more unseasonably warm days but it looks like that well has run dry so it's time to hibernate. We'll get back out in the spring.

Love that color. Almost bought one but it was a total mess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

opengl posted:

Love that color. Almost bought one but it was a total mess.

Was that the one from a few weeks ago that had all the locks drilled out and gave every indication of being stolen yet somehow the seller had a title?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Midjack posted:

Was that the one from a few weeks ago that had all the locks drilled out and gave every indication of being stolen yet somehow the seller had a title?

Lol yep.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Invalido posted:

week there might be a weather window to get a ride or two in, we'll see.
There was! I'm off work for a while so I spent winter solstice day running around five different lumber yards all around town to see who had the nicest plywood for an upcoming carpentry project. Cold, damp, traffic and slightly salty, but a few days of thaw and rain got rid of the ice and snow and grip was fine. I haven't ridden in a month and it might be months before I get to do it again. Now I just have to hose the bike down real good before putting it away again cause it's about to get colder shortly.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

welp a couple weeks ago i paid probably too much for a plated dirt bike and have since:

gotten stuck two hours from home in a downpour and had to get a motel to wait it out

accidentally dumped the clutch when a light turned green and got left behind as the motorcycle happily zipped out from under my crotch and off down the road, with me waddling after it

decided to climb a steep hill, fell over, and got my foot caught in the rear wheel

10/10

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm broke since buying the SV, but there's a plated 2005 yamaha wr450f for sale pretty cheap that looks like so much fun. No parking space and no money but a man can dream. (It comes with a set of ice tires too!)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have nothing to compare it to, but im glad i listened to the internet and bought good gear and a lightweight and low-power motorcycle for my first just based on the trouble ive been able to get into already

getting my foot jammed in the rear wheel was a big "oh poo poo that could have been a hospital visit" moment. thanks cheap moto boots!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah boots are definitely super important to prevent injury. I'm an ATGATT type of person up to and including turning back and being late for work when I've forgotten my back protector yet again, but the only gear that's actually saved me so far is boots. Oh yeah I would probably have burned myself on the exhaust once when the pants took the hit (and melted to the muffler, remaining there to this day). Also the helmet/visor has been good against pebbles and pinecones and bugs. Lots and lots of bugs.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Same here, I had a slow fall practicing uturns that pinned my ankle under the passenger peg. Didn’t feel a thing through my smx6s, but may have been gnarly without proper protection.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
When I studied for the moto license theory exam one of the factoids in the book that stuck was that the most common injury area requiring medical attention is to feet/lower legs. So yeah, boots. Mine aren't great protection wise compared to some but at least they're proper moto boots and fairly comfortable for shorter walks so there's that. Also they don't stink anymore since I made a project of trying to make the moto gear wardrobe not reek anymore last weekend. The cold weather jacket still smells but not terribly so.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

First ride in like a month or more and wooohooo bikes are da best!!! Enjoying the 75 and sunny.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have no-bike-winter-blues and I just wanna get back on. Damned road salt! But still better than hitting ice.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Coming up on the end of the year, so did another look back on my expenses.

Rode about 3500 miles and spent $3,230, excluding gasoline.

The big line items:
* Parking fees since I moved to a new building
* Service and maintenance (8,000-mile service, replaced seals and gaskets to fix an oil leak, oil change)
* I bought two new riding jackets: a dedicated warm weather jacket and a cold/wet jacket.

The jackets were definitely a splurge ($390 together), but they look and feel better than my do-it-all jacket with zip out liners and insulation.

I also bought some basic tools to start doing some of my own maintenance, but there isn't much to do.

Much of this spending is hardware, so it's stuff that will amortize. The big ongoing recurring expenses are insurance (~$480/yr), parking ($80/month), and gas (70mpg lol). If I hold on to this bike, I'm probably looking at ~$2000 in ownership costs next year, barring any major breakdowns.

One thing that changed between my first year and second is that I ride a lot less for fun and more for utility (I ride rain or shine, but not snow or ice). Part of it is that I'm getting bored with my bike and the riding routes around me. On the other hand, this is a low-cost, reliable way to get around, so I don't want to upset the balance too much (I don't own a car, but live on a metro line and ride a bicycle to work). Also I'm worried about the economy, so I'm a bit anxious about taking on new expenses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh drat, it is that time of year again.

That seems really good for a commuting bike for a year! I forget, what bike do you have?

Got a second bike (CBR600RR) so that kicked all the costs up, haven't had to do anything other than oil change to it yet though, so all the other money (not pictured) went into purchase and registration (private party so not nearly as bad as dealerships would have been)

Ninja 400: ~5,400 miles
CBR: ~900 miles

Definitely a lot of splurging this year, especially the whole second bike thing...
Maint: Did all the oil changes and basic stuff on both bikes, but ended up paying a mechanic for the 7500 mile service on my Ninja 400. Probably didn't need to as the spark plugs were still fine, but felt better having someone check that out for me, I don't trust myself digging into internals yet.
Tools: sockets, decent breaker bar for taking off the wheel for getting new tires mounted, misc other stuff to fill the new tool cart. having a dedicated space and organized tool storage was a huge increase in my motivation to do maintenance stuff on a bike.
Gear: picked up some replacement hot weather gloves, pants, and another set of jeans.
Track: did way more track this year on the 400, also spent a bit (Upgrades) turning it into a half-rear end track bike, with the goal eventually to have a like 90% track bike. Clutch and stator covers, steel brake lines, clutch and brake levers so far. Tires I bought last year have held up for the 5000+ miles but are due for swapping soon. Pilot power 2s turned out to be a good balance for what I do.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Invalido posted:

When I studied for the moto license theory exam one of the factoids in the book that stuck was that the most common injury area requiring medical attention is to feet/lower legs.

I wish people would internalize this more. I mean it's really none of my business how other people gear up, but maybe restructure your gear budget a little so boots get some priority. You can gently caress up your feet just rolling an ankle at a standstill or slipping in an oil/fuel spill at a gas station or intersection, especially when a >300 lb bike comes down on top of you. Feet have 26 bones jointed in 30 different places, ntm all the connective tissue and everything in there is small and kind of delicate and does not heal well when you gently caress it up.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That seems really good for a commuting bike for a year! I forget, what bike do you have?

Honda CBR250, your bike's lil baby sibling.

It's pretty great, certainly if you compare it to the ownership costs of a car. But I'm coming into motorcycling from bicycling, so I've had to learn to adjust expectations for costs. Since I'm doing more utility riding, it's changing my cost-benefit analysis. Fortunately for me, my finances aren't tight, but I'm always thinking in the back of my mind "If I rode my bicycle, this trip would be free" or "I'm still spending money even though I haven't ridden for a week." As much as I'd love to get a new bike, I'm having a hard time getting over this mental hurdle.

Since purchasing the bike and riding 6000 miles over two years, I've spent bit over $10k.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I wish people would internalize this more. I mean it's really none of my business how other people gear up, but maybe restructure your gear budget a little so boots get some priority. You can gently caress up your feet just rolling an ankle at a standstill or slipping in an oil/fuel spill at a gas station or intersection, especially when a >300 lb bike comes down on top of you. Feet have 26 bones jointed in 30 different places, ntm all the connective tissue and everything in there is small and kind of delicate and does not heal well when you gently caress it up.

I'm really glad the folks on this forum insisted on me buying good leg protection. Your legs are the closest part of your body to the ground, so naturally the injury risk is high. It makes total sense when you think about it, but surprisingly few people do. Few things make me cringe more than seeing a rider in flip flops.

The only times I've ridden without boots were a few times I wore dress shoes going to events, in-town only. I know that can still be dangerous and I'm not defending it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stuff you really don't want to see in person: detached toes, degloved feet, displaced kneecaps

Trust me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Also crushed heels have incredibly long healing times.