Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't know if you guys heard, but Andor did not get good viewing numbers, although its audience steadily increased throughout the series. This is the exact opposite of Obi-Wan, which shed viewers with every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Going Rogue was super excellent, so excited to see her tackle Solo.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Going Rogue was super excellent, so excited to see her tackle Solo.

What’s it about? What kind of insights does it provide?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I find it extremely hard to fathom what there is to say of interest about solo at this point unless there are some serious unreported deets about the lord and miller version, because who on earth cares about the final cut besides jon kasdan. Even as a "what went wrong" exercise it's a pretty dead horse

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I’m only interested in what happened on set and behind closed doors. I haven’t listened to the rogue one thing because unless the podcaster was there on set I don’t give a poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

I find it extremely hard to fathom what there is to say of interest about solo at this point unless there are some serious unreported deets about the lord and miller version, because who on earth cares about the final cut besides jon kasdan. Even as a "what went wrong" exercise it's a pretty dead horse

I mean, it's a movie that was, what, 90% shot? And then the directors were fired because it was "too funny", and then Ron god drat Howard was brought in to reshoot the entire movie. I haven't listened to Going Rogue yet, so I don't know what kind of insight she has, but that's an interesting topic for someone to tackle, if they have any info at all beyond what we know, or can at least summarize it in an interesting way.

Also, as much as I wish we had the originally intended version, I like Solo quite a bit.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Solo served its purpose as the in-universe heist movie until Andor came along.

Now it has none.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Solo served its purpose as the in-universe heist movie until Andor came along.

Now it has none.

It's entertaining. That was its purpose. It still serves that purpose.

It has dumb moments, for sure, like when it provides origin stories for things that don't need them, like Han's gun, or Lando's pronunciation of "Han". But it's still an entertaining movie. So I'm good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t find it entertaining. I find it sad and pathetic

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I just rewatched Solo and I kind of am okay with it at this point. I think that getting Andor made me a lot more acceptant on what I felt were missed opportunities in R1 and Andor, kind of like TCW made me appreciate the prequels more.

I am attempting watching Rise of Skywalker again now, and it's still the absolute dumbest movie I've ever seen (for its context and pedigree).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Going Rogue is meticulously documented with some cool deep cut interview finds and stuff and the lady sounds good and its well made. Its as good a podcast as you can find if you just want to listen to something interesting about a thing you like. The going rogue bit that was interesting to me was going over the early story drafts and scripts that featured wildly different storylines (like Cassian being an imperial spy) and how some of that works into the final cut.

Its possible she will get some interesting connect the dots stuff for Solo as well.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Andor season 2 should do for all the loose threads in Solo what Andor season 1 did for all the loose threads in Rogue One.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to hear about the drama during rogue one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apropos of nothing in particular, had a sudden funny realisation about the treatment of the Force, and how it's basically spritually-themed psychic powers. That tracks pretty consistently through most depictions; the Light Side and Dark Side have specific metaphysical and moral overtones, while also having typical psychic abilities like telepathy, mental suggestion/mind control, telekinesis, and manipulation of energy. (Weirdly enough of all Star Wars derivatives and related content I think only Warhammer 40k really matches that vibe. Dune has spirituality and psychic abilities but not a lot of actual overlap)

I feel like it's the kinda thing that tracks well with the whole 'the Force be with you' and being 'one with the Force'; essentially, it's about listening to the world around you and using your enhanced awareness to understand what it wants and go with the flow. I feel like there's often a strong physical association of Jedi with the wind, being blown around like leaves wherever it may go. (especially in the animated Clone Wars) And of course, contrasted with Sith grabbing the world and twisting it in the direction they want, regardless of the consequences.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Force was created in the 1970s, when sci-fi was lousy with New Age psychic stuff and there was still some mainstream credence given to the idea that it might be possible to develop "mental powers". So yeah Lucas went that way because it was something already in the pop consciousness.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, the process that led to the creation of the Force was basically:
  • Lucas wants to do a pulp sci-fi movie and comes up with a bunch of futuristic character and place names.
  • WIthout a story to put them in, he steals a couple of pages from an Edgar Rice Burroughs book and replaces all the proper nouns with his own.
  • Since the Barsoom stories use the narrative device of being letters from Burroughs' family friend, Lucas titles his John Cater ripoff "The Journal of the Whills" since his pages are written from a first person perspective.
  • Lucas likes the idea of having a higher power observing or recording the story, and when he actually starts writing he comes up with "The Force of Others", which is mentioned a couple of times in the rough draft but doesn't have any impact on the story or characters.
  • Lucas starts getting into New Age stuff, expands the Force into telepathic powers and galactic vibes, and is channeled through a magical crystal in the second draft.
  • Continuing his reading into New Age material, he reads some Carlos Castaneda books, and uses it to build on the Force further - even creating Obi-Wan as an homage to Castaneda's shaman Don Juan in the third draft.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Darko posted:

I just rewatched Solo and I kind of am okay with it at this point. I think that getting Andor made me a lot more acceptant on what I felt were missed opportunities in R1 and Andor, kind of like TCW made me appreciate the prequels more.

I am attempting watching Rise of Skywalker again now, and it's still the absolute dumbest movie I've ever seen (for its context and pedigree).

I am about as open-minded and forgiving of Star Wars as anyone can be. Even if I don't like a story, I just shrug it off and remind myself that it's definitely for another audience within the fandom who may really enjoy it. However, Rise of Skywalker is the only Star Wars content I absolutely loathe. It was the first time I've walked away from a first viewing of Star Wars without anything nice to say about it.

I tried rewatching it last year and really struggled to get through it a second time. I don't know if, or when, I'll ever watch it again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rewatched the sequel trilogy recently, and the thing that stands out to me the most this time around is how Kylo is almost always portrayed as childish and pathetic or creepy and unhinged, if not both.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Doronin posted:

I am about as open-minded and forgiving of Star Wars as anyone can be. Even if I don't like a story, I just shrug it off and remind myself that it's definitely for another audience within the fandom who may really enjoy it. However, Rise of Skywalker is the only Star Wars content I absolutely loathe. It was the first time I've walked away from a first viewing of Star Wars without anything nice to say about it.

I tried rewatching it last year and really struggled to get through it a second time. I don't know if, or when, I'll ever watch it again.

It's simultaneously one of the most cold-hearted yet pathetically ingratiating pieces of corporate art I've ever experienced. Watching it once (and only ever once!) it was like a conversation with someone who didn't like me, didn't want to be there, yet was somehow inclined to try to earn my approval.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 13, 2022

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm pretty forgiving with films and am an eternal optimist, so I like to find good things even if a film disappoints me. Every Star Wars film for me since the prequels has been an exercise in 'I really liked this character / idea / setpiece / moment' but I wish they went a more interesting direction with 'character / setpiece / moment'.

Over time and repeated watchings, in my mind they became less about what they could have been and I would appreciate them more about what they are.

The exception being Rise Of Skywalker. I was incredulous about how bad it was, from a multitude of reasons. I left the cinema with such a bad taste in my mouth that I never wanted to see it again.

Perhaps it will improve on a second viewing, now that I know what to expect from it - but I'm not ready yet.

Now it's just a blur in my memory, and I've mostly forgotten about it. Every now and then reading these threads I am reminded of scenes that I had somehow blocked out of my mind - like horses on a star destroyer or landos not-daughter or Chewbacca death fakeouts and I laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Halloween Jack posted:

Rewatched the sequel trilogy recently, and the thing that stands out to me the most this time around is how Kylo is almost always portrayed as childish and pathetic or creepy and unhinged, if not both.

I'm not sure if its intentional (it clearly was in TLJ but I have no idea with the others) but this is the best part of the entire ST, and arguably Kylo Ren is the only character in the films to get any kind of real character arc

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Star wars 9 could have been significantly improved with, like, a two second addition: have the last scene end with rey flashing sith eyes and lunging at the camera, smash to credits over down with the sickness or whatever. It's really the ending the film deserved

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Star wars 9 could have been significantly improved with, like, a two second addition: have the last scene end with rey flashing sith eyes and lunging at the camera, smash to credits over down with the sickness or whatever. It's really the ending the film deserved

fun idea but this is a sequel hook and there should be no more star wars sequels

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

fun idea but this is a sequel hook and there should be no more star wars sequels

Yes but a sequel hook that never gets taken up is always a joy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kathleen Kennedy: We're just not sure down with the sickness is really a great match for the star wars brand.
Me: Kathy, it's the best match for *this* star wars imaginable

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgx8eQQPeBc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

STAR WARS

EPISODE X ALL YOU SKYWALKERS

The dead speak! The galaxy has received a mysterious vision, a promise of HOPE in the voice of the late LUKE SKYWALKER.

POE DAMERON and his husband FN-2187, heroes of ROGUE SQUADRON, got secret offscreen kisses from Luke and became SKYWALKERS.

Meanwhile, Empress REY SKYWALKER rages in search of the phantom Skywalkers, determined to destroy any threat to her power…

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Down with the Sithness

:five:

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 14, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Asking john williams to compose down with the sickness, but star wars and watching his soul escape.

A thing of beauty

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

content of this quality is rare

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Disney, release the Jerkface cut!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1602824242684252161

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I, too, am disappointed that WW3 hasn't happened yet

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I feel bad for Patty Jenkins as a person but WW1984 was such incredible garbage that I'm happy for her to not write anything, let alone Star Wars.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Isometric Bacon posted:

Perhaps it will improve on a second viewing

It will not. If anything, you’re more likely to actively dislike it. It’s the only movie in my recent rewatch that I now actively dislike. It has no redeeming qualities (except Kylo I guess). Not even Ian can save it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s not really much worse than Force Awakens, Force Awakens just has the advantage of being the one that raises a bunch of dumb questions as opposed to being the one that has to answer them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Another thing I really noticed, rewatching the ST, is that lines of dialogue like "Somehow Palpatine returned" stuck with me. I knew the last film was ludicrous, but man oh man they really didn't give a poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've got a soft spot for it because of the way the plot seems to fall apart in real time. It gets significantly stupider as it goes, possibly because the second half of the movie was most subject to executive meddling and reshoots, and the climax most of all. It starts off fairly straightforward with secret spy missions and stuff, and by the end they're just spewing incomprehensible nonsense about force dyads and star destroyers with death star lasers, just trying to say enough words until they get to a point where they can stop. You can't always see behind the scenes troubles on the screen, but episode 9 is almost about the behind the scenes troubles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, as a film it's a loving disaster, but it's an accidental masterpiece about the impossibility of creating art under the studio tentpole system.