Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Omnicarus posted:

The show is dead in the water anyway, Henry Cavill seems to have been the glue that kept it together at all and he left to be replaced by Liam Hemsworth. The former producer of the show even said that the writers Netflix had assigned to the show actively dislike the books and games.

I'd seen that but I still hoped basic things like "the other witchers also have cat eyes" and "don't kill off Eskel" would have gotten through, O WELL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I see the new next gen mod is now available on Steam. It's a 45g download.

Will installing this half my framerate? I can run the game smoothly on my rig, but my processor is an Ivy Bridge from 2012, gtx960 is doing most of the work.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I forgot how much the camera in witcher 3 made me queasy

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Barreft posted:

I forgot how much the camera in witcher 3 made me queasy

I don't remember having an issue with it when I played originally but it seems way too close now.

With a 3080 Ti, UHD, DLSS Performance, and everything maxed, I get FPS in the mid 40s to mid 50s. I guess I'll have to turn down some settings, Ultra Performance DLSS is too ugly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pyrotek posted:

I don't remember having an issue with it when I played originally but it seems way too close now.

With a 3080 Ti, UHD, DLSS Performance, and everything maxed, I get FPS in the mid 40s to mid 50s. I guess I'll have to turn down some settings, Ultra Performance DLSS is too ugly.

About the same results here with the same GPU. Kinda runs real bad actually, stuttery as hell and as mentioned the DLSS is real rough on performance mode. Will have to futz around to see if it'll be playable with RT but I just crashed trying to change my settings soo I might wait a bit :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

hmm, when my download is finished I might just turn all the next gen stuff off then and just enjoy the new content and bug fixes

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Helith posted:

hmm, when my download is finished I might just turn all the next gen stuff off then and just enjoy the new content and bug fixes

That's an option? If it is, good.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Valko posted:

I hope so!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's separate graphic settings for low through ultra then RT on and RT Ultra so yeah just choose one of the non RT graphics presets and you should be fine. Unless they added other new junk too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Valko posted:

Ray tracing is definitely optional. Few people have cards capable of running the game semi-decently with it on.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I just download The Witcher 3 on Steam? There's not a separate entry for this remaster? Does that mean the original is now unavailable?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just download The Witcher 3 on Steam? There's not a separate entry for this remaster? Does that mean the original is now unavailable?

I think, for better or worse, yes.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It is literally the same game, OP.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Helith posted:

That's what I did. It runs/looks incredible if you just run Ultra without RT. Sure that's against the point but it seems to be the norm for every new RTX release lol

e: you can also make it use DX11 and just play original, you're not losing anything

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh what the gently caress, this new launcher is messing up input on the game's main menu on Steam Deck (it's still open and control inputs apply to both) and it crashes whenever I get control of Geralt in either a save or new game. I don't want to troubleshoot :(

EDIT: oh hm, the DirectX 11 version works perfectly, but I don't think I'd see any graphical difference here? No FSR though which is a shame.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 14, 2022

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
It seems pretty...rough? Crashy, stuttery, even without all the rt enhancements. Audio is weird.
Reverting to the old version for now.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Squiggle posted:

Oh what the gently caress, this new launcher is messing up input on the game's main menu on Steam Deck (it's still open and control inputs apply to both) and it crashes whenever I get control of Geralt in either a save or new game. I don't want to troubleshoot :(

oh poo poo i haven't even thought of it on the Deck. making sure it doesn't update now thanks

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Something is up with graphics options and crashing, my first go at setting it to dlss caused crashes. Try switching to fsr, loading the game and then switching to dlss/switch to RT on. Definitely had some bad dips in the opening, but first real gameplay with the ghouls seems to be stabilizing. Also getting 47ish fps with RT, dlss balanced and high/ultra settings on a 3080 ti. The sub settings in RT seem pretty heavy hitting.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Squiggle posted:

EDIT: oh hm, the DirectX 11 version works perfectly, but I don't think I'd see any graphical difference here? No FSR though which is a shame.

I crashed too, have you tried other proton versions? gonna do that now.

anyways this is what you expect from a cut down company i guess
love the shoehorning in of their dumbass own launcher some unpaid intern made up

e: geproton got me in with dx12, e2: nah crashed as well. gonna ignore dx12 on the deck for now tbf it is an old pc like the w3 loader says

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 14, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ok installed, tried ray tracing for a laugh and got a slide show on my 1070 as expected, but Ultra settings seems good, don’t have a fps counter on in GOG so don’t know exactly what I’m getting. Looks stunning so far.
I like the new quick sign casting, I’ll be keeping that on I think.
Of course the old rear end mods I’ve been using forever aren’t compatible so I’ll keep an eye on Nexus for updates, I miss auto oils and having all quests on the map and little QoL things like that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

any changes to oils?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Barreft posted:

I crashed too, have you tried other proton versions? gonna do that now.

anyways this is what you expect from a cut down company i guess
love the shoehorning in of their dumbass own launcher some unpaid intern made up

e: geproton got me in with dx12, e2: nah crashed as well. gonna ignore dx12 on the deck for now tbf it is an old pc like the w3 loader says

Yeah, you can deal with the launcher by closing it in the few seconds after hitting Play before the game actually loads by tapping the X on the screen...but I tried Proton Experimental and 7 05 to no avail with Directx 12. I don't even really care if it looks pretty, I just want it to run the way it did this morning. Would've liked a few more frames out of FSR2, but D11 is fine enough.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rinkles posted:

any changes to oils?

In what way?
I’m going to have to apply them by hand again until the mod updates tho lol

Ha, the picture on the Roach card is pretty great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Helith posted:

In what way?
I’m going to have to apply them by hand again until the mod updates tho lol

yeah i was hoping they changed that

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Almost done White Orchard playing on max settings with full RT and DLSS set to quality at 3440x1440 on a 3080 12gb and ryzen 5800x and getting around 40 to mid 50s FPS which with a GSync monitor is totally acceptable to me. Game looks really nice.

Feels drat good to play again.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Squiggle posted:

Yeah, you can deal with the launcher by closing it in the few seconds after hitting Play before the game actually loads by tapping the X on the screen...but I tried Proton Experimental and 7 05 to no avail with Directx 12. I don't even really care if it looks pretty, I just want it to run the way it did this morning. Would've liked a few more frames out of FSR2, but D11 is fine enough.

Honestly we're just lucky the a) Deck exists b) we could afford it. I feel bad even complaining about something so minor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny that hair works is no longer the FPS killer in this game.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's even funnier that Witcher 3 now looks as good as a modded Skyrim install :cheeky:

Perks always active has a new 4.0 version up already

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Dw44BHc10

Huh they added Friendly HUD as an official gameplay change as well. Nice.

In that case the only things I'm really waiting for to get updated are the removal of item degradation and the No Levels mod.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this channel always does good rt comparisons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o59iS_4SHY

i think it's fair to say that stylistically speaking often the improvement is subjective. and it has that issue of sometimes making the scene too dark. but sometimes the rt lighting/shading is sublime.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The update is extremely CPU heavy, and my 5600X is limiting me to sub-60 fps at times in populated hubs like Novigrad even with RT turned off (my GPU is heavily underutilized). Pretty silly considering I first played this game with a Phenom II X4. And with RT turned on, it can drop to 40 fps in Novigrad. But oh well, the game is beautiful with the new RT effects enabled. Here are some comparisons I made for fun.

https://imgsli.com/MTM5NzI4
https://imgsli.com/MTM5NzQx
https://imgsli.com/MTM5NzQ2
https://imgsli.com/MTM5NzQ3
https://imgsli.com/MTM5NzUw
https://imgsli.com/MTM5NzUx

There are more shadows where they should be (like the banners in the 1st screenshot), fewer lighting errors (like the rubble shadows in the 5th screenshots), and and the bounce lighting from the new GI system gives accurate colors in each environment (you can see the warmer shading on Geralt in the outdoors screenshots). The new lighting is most impressive indoors, but I even like how it looks outdoors, with much more depth in the grass and trees thanks to the more detailed shadows.

Anyway, a beautiful game got more beautiful. Now excuse me as I buy a new CPU.

edit: Do not bother with DLSS below Balanced if you have a high-end GPU because it most likely will do nothing. DLSS or FSR don't help with CPU bottlenecks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 14, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah my 5800x is bottlenecking me. Need a 7800x3d.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also turn off Hairworks (or at least set it to Geralt only) to claw back some performance in towns. It's not a huge boost, but it helps a little.

edit: some of the time I feel like the lighting isn't influenced by the sky enough, and the result is an overly warm look with too much influence from the bounce lighting.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 14, 2022

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm downloading now and gonna see what I can get out of my rig with all settings pumped to the max.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/e5s8Ofd.mp4

Check out this cool bug.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So even the steam overlay doesn't work with the game?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

With just RTGI and RTAO I'm struggling to hit 50fps at 1440p (quality dlss), with a 3060ti. But it does still look pretty good.

However, I'm getting bad stutters. And the game crashed after a few minutes.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Downloaded the patch for PS5 around 9:30pm,which is weird because I was under the impression that it wouldn't be available until midnight local time everywhere. Not that I'm complaining. Actually thought it was releasing tomorrow night because I'm an idiot so this was a nice surprise!

Got as far as the inn at White Orchard and everything is nice and pretty so far. New controls for casting signs is going to take some getting used to, nearly got wrecked by the opening ghoul attack like a noob from pressing the wrong thing

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Getting big stutters (everything maxed) after exiting menus on a 5950x and 4090.

I needs me my more quick slots mod. Really relied on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

So even the steam overlay doesn't work with the game?

Only overlay i've gotten to work is the windows game overly (win + g). That's the frame rate counter in my screenshots.