Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the italians made one of the finest rifles known to man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcano

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Oh now this is the anti Irish thread I see

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mama mia

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Could somebody translate this into American?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
they cook-a da pizza

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
we cook-a da pizza

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My uncles were first-generation immigrants and people used to call the cops on them all the time, when they were hanging out in the local park in the middle of the day, playing basketball in their dress pants, polished shoes, white tank tops and gold cross pendants. People were terrified of them.

I'm not bringing it up like it's some oppression that's weighed generational trauma on my ginzo soul. Actually I think it's hilarious, it's a really funny mental picture and I wish I could go back in time to call the cops on my uncles too.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
have a west side story dance off with the cops, italianly though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

All rise for the Italian national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1P8jDSsykc

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Weka posted:

Could somebody translate this into American?

fascists are compensating

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
eyyyyy this song is really good. Eyetalian trip hop, whaddya gonna do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCMPryaniN0

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

My uncles were first-generation immigrants and people used to call the cops on them all the time, when they were hanging out in the local park in the middle of the day, playing basketball in their dress pants, polished shoes, white tank tops and gold cross pendants. People were terrified of them.

I'm not bringing it up like it's some oppression that's weighed generational trauma on my ginzo soul. Actually I think it's hilarious, it's a really funny mental picture and I wish I could go back in time to call the cops on my uncles too.

i like to remind my father-in-law of how poorly italians were treated not that long ago when he starts off one of his stories with "so i was working in this [transmission] shop, and there was this installer, Black..."

one night he said something about how dark the neighborhood was getting and i looked him dead in the eye and said "yeah those loving guineas down at [house number] just keep multiplying. next thing you know they're gonna be going door to door selling stuff they insist just fell off the back of a truck" and got a "well when we did crime, we did it with style and charm, not like these [redacted]s today"

it's actually praxis to be racist against italians.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Oh now this is the anti Irish thread I see

i get irish from my mom's side, so i'll allow it.

the button pushers may decide otherwise though

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

eyyyyy mamma sbarro's bene pies, mangia

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lib and let die posted:

it's actually praxis to be racist against italians.

Sure bud, but when are we going to turn our comedic ire to the Dutch, or Spain? Italy's been gettin' clowned on for years now and an entire nation of perverts with a made-up language (the Dutch) and another of encephalitic inbred royalty whose kingdom keeps losing ground (Spain) have been getting off scot-free for too long.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Sure bud, but when are we going to turn our comedic ire to the Dutch, or Spain? Italy's been gettin' clowned on for years now and an entire nation of perverts with a made-up language (the Dutch) and another of encephalitic inbred royalty whose kingdom keeps losing ground (Spain) have been getting off scot-free for too long.

Post the thread

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

i get irish from my mom's side, so i'll allow it.

the button pushers may decide otherwise though

love to be a tax haven with a grudge and that's the craic, sis

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mister Speaker posted:

And now they repay the favor to the black kids in the neighborhood, sunrise, sunset

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Mister Speaker posted:

theres no comedy in the dutch. they are the spawn of devils, whose presence brings naught but pain and ruination.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Futanari Damacy posted:

All rise for the Italian national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZVBO940wQ

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I can't really comment on the American situation although I know the gist of it from the OP and some pieces I've read about the whitewashing and embrace of racism. I've heard cries to replace honouring Columbus with someone like... Joe Pesci, which makes me mad because nobody seems to remember his 'sense of humour' on SNL about Sinead O'Connor. (he hosted the week following her ripping up a picture of the Pope and basically said he would have beaten her rear end, real John Wayne poo poo) Who in the Italian-American community deserves the honour? Maybe Fermi?

Here in my neighbourhood I'm basically on the border between a huge Italian community and a huge Portuguese one. And honestly the only overt "WTF don't celebrate that history" poo poo I've seen around here is from the Portuguese. There are a few old guys in the neighbourhood with tattoos indicating they 'served' in Angola, and on Portugal Day they like to wear their old decorated parade uniforms with banners that suggest the same.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Mister Speaker posted:

Who in the Italian-American community deserves the honour?

It's James Gandolfini

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Marlon Brando

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Good answers, I also nominate Guy Fieri

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I thought it was "common knowledge" years ago Guy Fieri was kind of a sex pest, but if that was ever true it certainly seems to have been erased from collective memory. Maybe I'm getting him confused with another food network personality?

Specifically there were accusations he would openly ogle women at the restaurants he'd visit and even make lewd comments about them.

On the other hand his name is "Guy," sharing the same etymological origin as "Guido," so sure whatever make him the replacement for Honored Eye-talian

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

I thought it was "common knowledge" years ago Guy Fieri was kind of a sex pest, but if that was ever true it certainly seems to have been erased from collective memory. Maybe I'm getting him confused with another food network personality?

Specifically there were accusations he would openly ogle women at the restaurants he'd visit and even make lewd comments about them.

On the other hand his name is "Guy," sharing the same etymological origin as "Guido," so sure whatever make him the replacement for Honored Eye-talian

god dammit

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Judgy Fucker posted:

Are you not thinking of Mario Batali?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

Are you not thinking of Mario Batali?

Ding ding ding

Thank you for identifying the correct italian-american food network personality sex pest

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, I was scared for a minute there about Milkshake Duck Guy Fieri. I've only ever heard good things about the guy, like volunteering in soup kitchens and stuff.

I said this in another thread a few weeks ago, but one of my favourite examples of the sheer vulgarity of Italians is the slang term 'figa'. It's used pretty commonly to mean 'babe' or 'hot chick', as in "guarde che figa" > "check out that broad," but the reason it's particularly gross is because it also literally means 'pussy'.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
sad to learn this about Guy Fieri

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

sad to learn this about Guy Fieri

Good news! I'm a moron

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mister Speaker posted:

Another vote for Gandolfini for his appropriately racist depiction of Italian Americans.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

One day Gandolfini the white will return to turn the tide of war

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Apparently he was a good dude

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah genuinely a standup guy. RIP

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah genuinely a standup guy. RIP

also will nominate danny devito who is also a beautiful human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol if thats all it takes to be labeled a sex pest these days considering what others are doing