Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ulmont posted:

Break the power of the landowners and church to put in the laws necessary to bring a communist utopia. You shoulda thought of that.

Yeah I do this almost every game, but it's pretty perfunctory to do whatever you want poltically, it's mainly just waiting to unlock tech or for a law to fire.

I wouldn't really consider it something im actively "doing" at this point. It's more like selecting an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jazerus posted:

war is still fun even though it's half-baked.

I have had some interesting experiences where a successful war left my economy unsalvageable.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

China needs a nerf, not from a played as perspective, but from anyone who can get immigration from them. Congrats to tabriz and Tehran to your new chinatowns

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't get this at all, its the opposite for me, the whole game seems too based around clicking on the HOI4 production menu to build more stuff to make more stuff to build stuff.
Every game I've played has gone pretty much the same way until I hit the point it becomes unplayably slow.

It really does seem like an idle game I can't close (I quite like idle games though)

What other things are there to do? War and colonization seems pretty half baked

Maybe I'm biased because I never played HOI4, playing a war simulator never appealed much to me. That's also probably why, even though the war is a step back, it doesn't bother me that much. This is an economic/diplomatic simulator, not a map painter and I think it does a pretty good job at it. It's the first paradox game I've considered playing tall rather than wide.

Like others have already said, breaking the power of the elites; improving freedom, health care, and the standard of living of my subjects; its all very appealing to me as an American in 2022.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Arrath posted:

Capital G Gamers are the worst.

There's a mod for that. I'd link it but I'm on my phone. It's very, very good

Would you kindly link to the mod when you can?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TTBF posted:

Would you kindly link to the mod when you can?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883109872 :tipshat:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you!

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Moonwolf posted:

Well, I've hit the "Millions of radicals, radicalised by your low legitimacy of 100%" bug. Hopefully that's just numbers rather than the "Capitalists don't do politics, landowners forever" of 1.1

Its affects you.

What I've found is that if you throw in 1 additional interest group in your government after the bug surfaces (hopefully one that wont tank your legitimacy), legitimacy resets to read correctly. You can then push them out on the next election cycle. Unfortunately, you need to do this every time you load the game. I tend to quit playing after a new election for this patch

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe I am doing too many Imperialisms but my Egypt game is the second game where I hit a number of provinces that is too high to manage them still.

I just check my buy/sell orders after that point and plop down factories if I find unemployed somewhere. Put everything on auto expand and pray the game does not mess up.

The buildings list also becomes unusable because if you have your expanded core provinces with high literacy/job qualifications, early conquests, fresh conquests and colonies all with a different work force setup, you can‘t really set all buildings of the same type to the same production methods anymore or half of them will not have enough qualified workers.
I can‘t micro manage the production modes in over 100 provinces.

Basically it‘s a good base game but it really should not have released this year.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I do this almost every game, but it's pretty perfunctory to do whatever you want poltically, it's mainly just waiting to unlock tech or for a law to fire.

I wouldn't really consider it something im actively "doing" at this point. It's more like selecting an option.

The game doesn't push back enough for now, so it's easy to stay stable mid-size nation which cookie-clicks it's way to #1 position in the world. It's true that for now you have to add a lot of roleplaying brains and set up impractical goals, or start as very weak nations that have hell in the early game and can still be not trivial in the end game.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

In my Russian Empire -> Russian Republic -> Soviet Union game I noticed large numbers of Dixie POPs in Ukraine.

Turns out the US managed to peacefully end slavery, which must have led to an enormous emigration wave for Dixie POPs.

The Afro-American POPs are doing quite well now!

game good

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Game good, but I don't think I can actually finish a campaign. It's just... kind of exhausting running a country once your construction is more than a thousand.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah. I'm at over 5,000 in my current campaign, and there are just too many plates to spin. I could theoretically ramp that up even more, but the thought makes my head spin.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Maybe let the AI take over some of the production. Like some kind of laissez-faire deal.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I think Anbeeld AI has an auto-builder feature (unless it's some other mod I downloaded but I don't think so) which works decently. As a player you could probably optimize much more, but when you're dealing with 500+ construction points/week optimization is definitely not required anymore

e: yes it's that one, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880152075 Anbeeld's Revision of AI - not sure if it's been updated to 1.1 already though

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I don't find it too bad. Just leave auto expand on and every once in awhile check your prices and buildings and dump a whole lot of corrections into the queue. With how slow the game runs near the end you don't have much else to do anyway.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I've been doing a Russia campaign just to chill, and Great Rework has been a lot of fun! This game definitely has the potential to have a HOI4 style narrative campaign, and I haven't even touched the USA yet where they've spent the majority of their flavor. Looking forward to it!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880441881&searchtext=great+great+rework

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
imho, Vicky 3 is very promising beginning, but still not entirely there. The major thing I really dislike is the relative ease with which the player can build a relatively self-sufficient and autarkic, something they're basically forced into doing due to the still malfunctioning AI. Combined with a disconnect between RGO's, labour and inputs and outputs, the result is a pretty easy, unchallenging game where most of the challenges faced by the player are determined by their internal politics at the start of the game rather than materialistic, economic factors that (should) lie at the core of the game.

One example that popped into my head recently was fertilizer. I read Adam Tooze's Wages of Destruction recently (a really interesting book for anyone into economics and history, would definitely recommend it) and what really surprised me was his discussion of the agricultural productivity in Germany and its occupied terrorities. Besides general war-time chaos, lack of mechanisation and corresponding lack of abled-bodied men, one of the major causes of the huge decline in agricultural productivity was the suspension of Brazilian animal feedstock exports. Without sufficient grain and seedoil imports, the intensive dairy farming was unsustainable. Combined with the production of explosives being prioritized of over fertilizer, food production in Europe was doomed to collapse.

In my ideal view, war in Vicky 3 would confront the player with exactly these kinds of situations. But, because it's too easy, if not required, to construct an mostly autarkic economy, and it's too easy to import missing goods in wartime, things just don't click. I really hope patches will improve the game in the short term, and I really really really hope Vicky 3 doesn't fall into the same DLC-hole as HOI, Stellaris and EU4, where each successive DLC provides width rather than depth. If things work out, this might be Paradox' best game. If they don't, it'll still be a good experiment, but I'll be sad they never realised its full potential.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It does seem weird that fertilizer is cheap given this is the era where depleted soils caused a bit of a food crises in Europe and sources of fertilizer were literally more valuable than gold

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Fertilizer is mostly for me a useless surplus product I have to dump on the global market to make enough explosives to run all my mines+war machine. Like lategame dumping steamers in order to keep the shipyards running making battleships, the inability to better control the split in 2 product systems is ludicrous.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moonwolf posted:

Fertilizer is mostly for me a useless surplus product I have to dump on the global market to make enough explosives to run all my mines+war machine. Like lategame dumping steamers in order to keep the shipyards running making battleships, the inability to better control the split in 2 product systems is ludicrous.

the steamer thing is alleviated somewhat by the now much-higher port cap

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zeron posted:

I don't find it too bad. Just leave auto expand on and every once in awhile check your prices and buildings and dump a whole lot of corrections into the queue. With how slow the game runs near the end you don't have much else to do anyway.

Auto expand never seems to build railroads quickly enough for me, so a lot of end game tedium is checking which states have dropped below 100% infrastructure and ordering 5-10 railroads.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

eXXon posted:

Auto expand never seems to build railroads quickly enough for me, so a lot of end game tedium is checking which states have dropped below 100% infrastructure and ordering 5-10 railroads.

I think the issue is that auto-expand only seems to build one building per state. So it goes into the queue, you eventually build one, then it has to come back around and build another. And in the interim you can get one of each other type of building also popping up in the queue.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

eXXon posted:

I’m jealous of your states that can afford 5-10 railroads before 1900.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

I think the issue is that auto-expand only seems to build one building per state. So it goes into the queue, you eventually build one, then it has to come back around and build another. And in the interim you can get one of each other type of building also popping up in the queue.

Yeah, I wish I could specify "auto-build 3/5/10 of this," or somehow tie railroad expansion to the expansion of other buildings (i.e., batch auto-building farms/mines with x number of new railroads, etc)

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
First major DLC should just be a construction-queue-focused expansion

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eldoop posted:

First major DLC should just be a construction-queue-focused expansion
I'd rather they just make it good by default.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i dont care which it'll be but it needs to be part of the base game. if it's an eu4 style dlc then i will rip my hair and gnash my teeth

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Waifu Radia posted:

i dont care which it'll be but it needs to be part of the base game. if it's an eu4 style dlc then i will rip my hair and gnash my teeth

yeah seriously, "flavor packs" can be independent but make the real DLCs build on each other.

how much money are they really making from people "picking and choosing" here?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They have stated their preferred DLC model going forwards (and currently in the EU4 stuff) where they add in content and flavor via paid DLC and make the gameplay stuff part of a free patch, so that's nice.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

idle thoughts from what is probably my last playthrough for a bit until the next big patch

this patch makes the investment pool go nuts earlier
i need to remember to shoot for colonies first thing. There's no reason for me to be annoyed that my attempt to colonize the pacific turned into a race between me, Austria, and Russia but it's good to have a nice, not important thing to start poo poo over. I will sieze Micronesia as is my right!
this is the first game where I've gotten multiculturalism, I see why it's broken. It also has made my economy glow red hot as I desperately try to increase manufacturing enough to keep up with demand, steel frames buildings are so much better than iron drat

it's pretty funny that you can get huge numbers of migrants without religious freedom. I only have freedom of conscious and I get one migration after another, my population has doubled in less than 10 years and the only reason I havent gone on a conquest spree is I'm too busy building more consumer good factories and the raw materials for them to really expand the military

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 15, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
With the way legitimacy works in this patch, Monarchy isn't a bad place to sit in. You can basically guarantee nearly 100 legitimacy even with taxes. And then you get a ton of loyalists over time from that.

Also, if your government is at high legitimacy and you are losing loyalists, reform the government with a different set of IGs, then reform it again with the same group of IGs and you will start gaining loyalists again. It's a silly bug, but at least there's a workaround.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Jazerus posted:

war is still fun even though it's half-baked. just spend your infamy as it decays and you'll have plenty to do other than building stuff most of the time. sitting and building can be an effective way to play but if it's boring then go stir up some trouble

Don't even need to wait for it to decay - I'm at 1000+ in my France game and most opponents will cave pretty quickly to demands even if Russia and Austria mobilise to stop you.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/pdxvictoria/status/1602952324057538560

Big changes to legitimacy and what looks like a big nerf to just ignoring angry IGs. Some fixes to teleporting generals too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

quote:

###################
# Features
###################
- Adds quick-select options for the three most Legitimate valid government combinations on the Reform Government panel

###################
# Balance
###################
- It is no longer possible to reliably max out Legitimacy by throwing every Interest Group in government together; Legitimacy penalty from conflicting Government ideologies is now calculated by determining, for each law group, the law (unlocked by tech) with the strongest compound feelings for or against it across all Interest Groups in government (even within the same party) ensuring every additional Interest Group potentially increases the total ideological incoherence
- Legitimacy penalty from size of government has been reintroduced, but in the form of a number of allowed Interest Groups or Parties in government with no penalty and a flat penalty for each entity in addition to that
- Legitimacy balance changes across Laws
- Angry Interest Groups can now be invited to the government, and will not leave the government voluntarily unless Insurrectionary
- Angry Interest Groups in government can now join Political Movements
- Insurrectionary Interest Groups in a government party will now leave the government and party, unless it is the last Interest Group in government
- Number of provinces won in smaller theaters with large numbers of defending mobilized Battalions is now reduced, ensuring they will take more battles to wipe out entirely

###################
# AI
###################
- Fixed bug that prevented the AI from sending their mobilized Generals to fronts under certain conditions
- Improved AI's ability to make smart investments in its port infrastructure in the mid- and late game
- Improved AI's ability to manage their total number of ports across a market region
- Increased AI priority for building ports in market areas that lack a port connection

###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Ensured that overseas Generals will not travel to their home HQ if their front is resolved or invalidated. Generals whose front has been resolved or become invalid should now always travel to the closest active front to continue their campaign, even if this front is overseas. If no valid fronts exist, the General should remain on Stand By in the overseas HQ unless manually recalled home.
- Fixed a case of Generals skipping travel time and "teleporting" home if their source front's position is unknown
- Fixed issue where high Legitimacy Level would increase Radicals instead of Loyalists due to an outdated cache
- Fixed out-of-sync related to shipping lanes
- Fixed crash when running certain console commands, such as starting events through the console
- Fixed issue with flickering map names in culture panel
- Fixed missing market interaction texture
- Fixed two broken concept tooltips in Japanese localization and one in Polish localization

Being presented with the three most legitimate government combinations sounds nifty.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Being presented with the three most legitimate government combinations sounds nifty.

:agreed: It definitely got tiresome to manually check each combination to see which one would be more legitimate, especially when the highest legitimacy option ended up usually not making too much sense. Also glad that the teleporting generals bug got 100% fixed this time, instead of 50% fixed.

Of course, these patches always drop right before I have to go into work, robbing me of the ability to test them out immediately :argh:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ulmont posted:

Break the power of the landowners and church to put in the laws necessary to bring a communist utopia. You shoulda thought of that.

I feel like this is sort of a problem in this game. It's that there's an objectively best set of laws you should have and it's just a test to see how quickly you can get to them. While it's kind of nice that the good guys are also like the best end state, it also makes for the choices of laws to not be a terribly interesting one. Especially in multiplayer where everyone just goes socialist as quickly as possible to maximize immigration and beeline worker co-ops.

While I don't want the game to be making statements like "fascism is a good economic system!" I do want there to be intersting and meaningful decisions to be had in your choices of laws. If fascism did something like make you into the BBEG and let you ignore deficits and gave you bonuses for how much badboy you had, or gated access to really good military laws that you could use to conquer the world that would make for meaningful decisions instead of just objectively best practices on how to make number go up.

Same thing for monarchies, regressive societies, and liberal capitalist ones.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 14, 2022

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Glad to see they're improving the game at this rapid clip, and that's in addition to modders improving the UI by leaps and bounds! Good job y'all!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

- Angry Interest Groups can now be invited to the government, and will not leave the government voluntarily unless Insurrectionary
Oh thank goodness. This was the weirdest most annoying poo poo, especially in democracies where they won by a landslide. I get that they're not happy with the direction the country is going, but they're not going to fix anything by sitting there and pouting out of government, preventing me from even proposing any of the laws they'd like.

quote:

- Ensured that overseas Generals will not travel to their home HQ if their front is resolved or invalidated. Generals whose front has been resolved or become invalid should now always travel to the closest active front to continue their campaign, even if this front is overseas. If no valid fronts exist, the General should remain on Stand By in the overseas HQ unless manually recalled home.
- Fixed a case of Generals skipping travel time and "teleporting" home if their source front's position is unknown
If these are true I feel I can actually play again. When they patched out the ability to manually teleport your generals without fixing the involuntary teleportation I was just completely checked out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The fixes work, I had a bunch of small fronts and my generals would just close one then immediately move to the next closest one.