Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I reset my game a month back when I started playing again and I was never close to an A20 player anyway but wowza this was fun anyway. Took the 250 gold/curse from Neow which let me buy Molten Egg early, and a Floor 2 event transformed a strike into Creative AI, taking me directly into crazy town. Another event in Act 1 even let me ditch the curse.

Also I accidentally backed into the Neon achievement without even knowing it existed, ha.

edit: forgot to mention I had a second Self-Repair+ most of the run but removed it at the last shop. Knowing you can just take 20 damage whenever is pretty neat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Eason the Fifth posted:

Are all the relics similar to Broken Crown (+ energy per turn for a detriment) traps? Or are they situational?
Yeah to add to what others have been saying, none of them are really traps in the sense of "things that look good but are actually bad". They all come with downsides. The skill is in playing around the downsides while maximising the upsides. To give an obvious example: there is almost no downside to taking Fusion Hammer if you also have a bottled upgraded Apotheosis in your deck. Or, there's not much of a downside to taking Velvet Choker if your deck has a lot of 2 and 3-energy cards, since you're less likely to butt up against the six-cards-per-turn limit it imposes. Busted Crown's downside matters less at the end of Act 2 than at the end of Act 1, because it will affect fewer card draws. If you already have a solid deck that doesn't need much more added, then it's probably correct to take it. If you don't, then avoid it. Etc etc.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 12, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shine posted:

Yeah, Sozu was much better (often a slam pick) before they added a bunch of new, far stronger potions in the Watcher update. Dex and str potions are nice. Duplicate, Ghost Jar, etc. are nuts.

I've had an otherwise bad deck carried almost entirely by a pair of Alchemize+. Potions good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

The existence or nonexistence of "The Hopper" should not affect your decision making in this way. The benefit of e.g. Orrery is exactly the same if the cards are rolled randomly ahead of time (The Hopper) or immediately when you receive them (not The Hopper). Either way, they're still random cards, of which you have no knowledge before you receive them.

The conclusion re: the Orrery is correct though. You should almost always buy it when you can. Orrery is OP because it lets you see a lot more cards, and cards are good. That's pretty much it. Also, the chances of getting rare cards depends on number of non-rare cards seen, so not only do you see more cards, your next rewards are better cards. These effects are identical whether The Hopper exists or not.

The fact that The Hopper exists only matters if you run the same seed over again.

You're right that "the hopper" is pure psychology and shouldn't affect your decision to buy the Orrery, but there is a small twist to the Orrery. The probability you see a rare card is not an independent event. It increases based on how many common cards have been generated. Buying the Orrery really does mean your next card is more likely to be rare.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

See more cards? See more rares! It's just that simple folks.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Maybe it is just psychology, but viewing my play choices in terms of thinking of all my rewards as predetermined dramatically improved my a20 winrate.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Maybe it is just psychology, but viewing my play choices in terms of thinking of all my rewards as predetermined dramatically improved my a20 winrate.

Yea, thinking whenever I get a bad reward "well, I'm a reward deeper into the pool of finding a good one" is good for keeping me positively motivated when I get bad luck, especially early on.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I finally beat this game last night with silent, using a 2x After Images (1 innate)/1xFlechettes/1xThousand Cuts/2xSilent but Deadly (whatever the 2-3 poison per turn card is called)/3x Apply 5-7 Poison/3xBlade Dance/2x Poison Stab/1xInfinite Shivs/as many 0 cost cards as I could pack in plus some other crap like Footwork (used occasionally) and some of the "dodge and" cards.

I got extremely lucky on card draws (maybe a third of them were upgraded when I got them too), as well as with bosses/monsters (IIRC, the bosses were Hexa, Bronze Auto, and Donu & Deka). First time I had even made it reasonably far in act 3! I was almost always able to put up a reasonable amount of block through After Images x2 and shiv/0 cost card spam, and apply some poison along the way to speed things up.

Now, to get to the heart, do I have to win with all four characters to start ascension or will I get the chance to start picking keys next time I play Silent?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Admiralty Flag posted:

Now, to get to the heart, do I have to win with all four characters to start ascension or will I get the chance to start picking keys next time I play Silent?

The 4th character is optional but you will need to win with the rest before the keys appear.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What's so maddening about ectoplasm is that it only appears immediately before the section of the game with the most muggers. If they steal your gold and you kill them, you can't pick it back up.

Philo stone is almost free energy, but it can be scary to pick act 1 when birds and book are just around the corner. Fear not! It's worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
du-vu + cursed key ftw

though I've definitely tanked a run by going overboard with this without enough card draw/cycle/exhaust

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also there are some decks where it just straight up sucks, but i tend to find Velvet Choker to usually be the best one because decks where i absolutely could benefit from extra energy are frequently ones where I have a number of good 2+ cost cards which aren't likely to bump against the limit too badly

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have also come to almost always buy the Orrery if I can afford it. I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's overpowered but honestly it should probably be sold at uncommon or rare relic price instead of the standard shop relic price. You're telling me I get five chances for the price of two cards? You must really like my haircut.

edit: looking at the wiki and now remembering it used to be a boss relic!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Unfortunately this is all wrong. Having a 1% chance of rolling scrawl for the hundredth card you see is functionally identical to scrawl being the hundredth card you see in 1% of runs. It doesnt matter when the dice are rolled.

Orrery is op item though I buy it whenever I can.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I have an irrational dislike for Choker because while it can be a good and run-winning relic it also represents the single hardest cap on player power in the game and locks out a huge amount of fun decks.

I also think its just straight up bad on Watcher considering how easy it is for her to play more than 6 cards with even tiny additions to her base deck due to how OP Calm is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
watcher can generate her own power is the thing, you don't really need a power relic if you can make power yourself

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I irrationally despise Velvet Choker, to the point that I'd probably take Tiny House over it if I had to choose one or the other. It has killed me too many times and I simply do not trust it anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
runic pyramid tempts me when i have like, shivs+finisher and i always have to be like "bro its not worth it" when i dont have a ton of discard

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I love Velvet Choker and think it's the best, to an extent that I suspect this preference reveals weaknesses in my play.

The other thing with Choker is that it's likely to hurt you most at the end of the game, which makes it feel a lot better than something like philo stone which is likely to hurt you most in literally the next fight when three birds show up, even if it has the same (or more) impact on your winrate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wouldn't exactly say a "weakness" but like, a big part of improving win rate is finding a way to win with a wider variety of tools (because you have limited control over which tools are offered) but Choker turns off many of those avenues even if they aren't currently what your deck specializes in. This doesn't mean it's never right to take it but I think people often overestimate how difficult it is to pivot your deck.

Like I think people would agree Ironclad is usually the easiest character to grab Choker on in Act 1 since odds are you inflated your average card cost more than you did your card draw with things like Uppercut, Immolate, Flame Barrier, or even Clothesline (plus you start with Bash) - but even IC just needs like one lucky relic and a good shop and suddenly that same deck which won the Slime Boss fight by playing two cards every turn can reliably go infinite. Or even if not literally infinite all you need is a medkit, a Power Through, and either a FNP or Dark Embrace (or both!) and suddenly your deck is easily pushing against that 6 card limit. Not that hitting the limit means you insta-lose the run but it's a consideration.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 12, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Choker is really good but I still don't like it because playing a million cards is more fun than playing 6 cards

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I am way more afraid of Choker than I should be and will almost never take it. It's good! It's fine! You just have to play around it.

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

theshim posted:

I am way more afraid of Choker than I should be and will almost never take it. It's good! It's fine! You just have to play around it.

This for me, except Runic Dome.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Clugg posted:

This for me, except Runic Dome.
Oh, gently caress no. I will never take Runic Dome. :ohdear:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

theshim posted:

Oh, gently caress no. I will never take Runic Dome. :ohdear:

Runic Dome is so powerful with only a tiny drawback in some decks. Take it if you have frost orbs and calipers, or barricade and exhaust, or watcher with Rush Down and plenty of wrath - situations where you don't care what the enemy is doing. Also, most enemies have easily learned attack patterns (although there are a few random ones that can really get you if you guess wrong). But overall an extra energy is usually worth this downside.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I would take ectoplasm more than 0 times if it weren’t exclusively an act 1 relic

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Thanks to everyone who recommended Baalorlord on youtube.

I had been stuck on A19 with Ironclad for ages, but watching his A20 runs really opened my mind to Corruption/exhaust mechanics and that has finally got me over the line.

Now just A20 to go!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just hit A11 and I've never been madder at this game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

Sweet summer child

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Harold Fjord posted:

Losing a potion slot is one of the rough ones, yeah. The other bigass bump I recall is A18, which introduces "doesn't gently caress around" Gremlin Nob, -2 debuff Lagavulin (especially impactful on a shivvy Silent), 3-wound strikes from Taskmaster, That Turn 2 from the Act 4 elites, and probably some other gently caress-You tweaks I'm forgetting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Losing a potion slot is one of the rough ones, yeah. The other bigass bump I recall is A18, which introduces "doesn't gently caress around" Gremlin Nob, -2 debuff Lagavulin (especially impactful on a shivvy Silent), 3-wound strikes from Taskmaster, That Turn 2 from the Act 4 elites, and probably some other gently caress-You tweaks I'm forgetting.

Reptomancer says hi

Honestly Nob is sometimes easier at A18 than not, if you can dunk him in 3 turns then the debuff hit is way gentler than the big hit and even if it takes 4 turns the A18 pattern is barely any worse than getting two big hits in a row.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 14, 2022

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Reptomancer says hi

Stabitha! :swoon:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
really promising Defect run today. Act 1 took Cursed Key. Act 2 there was no shops after the chest, so I don't open it; end of act, take Runic Pyramid. Deck is really good now, two Seeks and an Apotheosis fueling a nice orb-heavy deck that can really spam cards to get powerful very quickly and consistently. Act 3 there's again no shops after the chest, but I gotta open it anyway to get the blue key.

Pain.

I die on the next floor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't think I've ever taken a bigger L from a Neow card transformation than getting Force Field

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Admiralty Flag posted:

I finally beat this game last night with silent, using a 2x After Images (1 innate)/1xFlechettes/1xThousand Cuts/2xSilent but Deadly (whatever the 2-3 poison per turn card is called)/3x Apply 5-7 Poison/3xBlade Dance/2x Poison Stab/1xInfinite Shivs/as many 0 cost cards as I could pack in plus some other crap like Footwork (used occasionally) and some of the "dodge and" cards.

I got extremely lucky on card draws (maybe a third of them were upgraded when I got them too), as well as with bosses/monsters (IIRC, the bosses were Hexa, Bronze Auto, and Donu & Deka). First time I had even made it reasonably far in act 3! I was almost always able to put up a reasonable amount of block through After Images x2 and shiv/0 cost card spam, and apply some poison along the way to speed things up.

So I don't know what happened but in playing maybe 90 minutes a day:
Sunday: beat the game with Silent for the first time
Monday: ditto, but with Ironclad
Tuesday: ditto, but with Defect
Also today: get curbstomped with Mystic by Bronze Automaton. Had zero block in my hand when hyperbeam came up and wasn't able to burn him down fast enough before then. Still, had a nice near-infinite going with innate Deva Form, the (made innate) power that puts the retained 12 point attack in your hand each turn, and the relic that gives you a card if your hand is empty. Had some ridiculous turns, especially going into calm then ducking out of it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
...what's wrong with Tiny House?
Bear in mind, I suck

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Tiny house has been moving up in the world. It's not regarded so badly now as it once was.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's very low-impact. Sometimes, the negatives from the other relics outweigh their upsides, but usually you want a higher impact relic with a upside to deal with act 2 than Tiny House.

Not always though, depending on your deck, and Act 3 Tiny House is usually more takeable than Act 2. Baalorlord says all Tiny House needs to be takeable is giving you a Common Relic along with everything else and I agree.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Tree Bucket posted:

...what's wrong with Tiny House?
Bear in mind, I suck
It gives several small improvements to several different facets of your character. All of those are nice to have but it doesn't really transform your deck's play the way that a +1 energy relic can.

I feel like it has an under-appreciated upside, though, which is that, unlike most boss relics, it has no downside. That isn't mentioned anywhere on the text but it should be taken into account when you're choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's very low-impact. Sometimes, the negatives from the other relics outweigh their upsides, but usually you want a higher impact relic with a upside to deal with act 2 than Tiny House.

Not always though, depending on your deck, and Act 3 Tiny House is usually more takeable than Act 2. Baalorlord says all Tiny House needs to be takeable is giving you a Common Relic along with everything else and I agree.

imo that would make it very takeable. not necessarily because common relics are insanely strong or anything, but because my goal is to collect as many relics as possible at all times

i guess other options would be "choose a card to upgrade" instead of randomise it, or add a "transform a card" and trim the gold maybe.