Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Glottis posted:

If you saw that ad in the wild, it probably would have been in a medical supply catalog with lots of other things that seem horrifying to people that don't have to euthanize rats on the daily.
I thought about that, and now I wonder if the person who originally scanned that ad missed a dozen other all-time classics or if that was just objectively the best phrasing for these terror devices

I had a friend who asked me if I would look over an article she was trying to get published, and I had forgotten what her research was, and I think paragraph two was where I first realized she was talking very technically about the process of fileting mouse brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Should be in one of those beds that look like a race car.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sonic's pose reads like a promise.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

One at time? :thunk:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Oh cool it's GamemasterAnthony's bed!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

McGavin posted:

One at time? :thunk:

Yeah I don't get it either, he obviously has three sex dolls on the bed.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
How did scientists kill their research animals before these machines? Hammer? Put them in a tube sock and slam them on the desk? Seems like scientists would have figured out a better way. I don't buy this machine's story at all...what are these really for?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That's a castration machine

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Robobot posted:

How did scientists kill their research animals before these machines? Hammer? Put them in a tube sock and slam them on the desk? Seems like scientists would have figured out a better way. I don't buy this machine's story at all...what are these really for?

There HAS to be a better way!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

There HAS to be a better way!

Every lab just needs a bunch of large hungry snakes!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

You're not you when you're hungry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

You can have a little larceny, as a treat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd be fine with this. Unless she caused it

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Robobot posted:

In most of the labs at my grad school, it was done by asphyxiation using a CO2 chamber.

The lab where I worked studied the effect of chronic repeated stress or fear conditioning on the limbic structures (and at my postdoc lab, neuropeptides released during traumatic stress). We used one of these guillotines because we needed it to be quick and to minimize our rats secreting any of these chemicals, which would have skewed our results.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Linux Pirate posted:

Why was he listening to her leg?

It's not super common, but it's not outside the realm of normal practice to listen to the femoral artery if you suspect peripheral artery disease.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's not super common, but it's not outside the realm of normal practice to listen to the femoral artery if you suspect peripheral artery disease.

Uh huh, exactly what I'd expect someone hoping to smell a fart would say

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

In most of the labs at my grad school, it was done by asphyxiation using a CO2 chamber.

The lab where I worked studied the effect of chronic repeated stress or fear conditioning on the limbic structures (and at my postdoc lab, neuropeptides released during traumatic stress). We used one of these guillotines because we needed it to be quick and to minimize our rats secreting any of these chemicals, which would have skewed our results.

Wait, does that mean you were terrorizing rats?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Cool Dad posted:

Wait, does that mean you were terrorizing rats?

Yes that would not only kill the rat but torture it for a while before it dies. Very cursed

Hopefully they meant nitrogen

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Wasn't cotton soaked in ether in a sealed container the old go to?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Robobot posted:

Seriouspost, small rodents were (until recently) killed by dislocating the spine. Hold the rodent down, pull the tail hard enough to break the spine. If it's done right, the rodent dies in an instant, if it's done wrong, it's a horrorshow. Mice were often killed by holding the tail and whacking them hard against a wall or a lab desk.

:smith:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

axolotl farmer posted:

Seriouspost, small rodents were (until recently) killed by dislocating the spine. Hold the rodent down, pull the tail hard enough to break the spine. If it's done right, the rodent dies in an instant, if it's done wrong, it's a horrorshow. Mice were often killed by holding the tail and whacking them hard against a wall or a lab desk.

Jesus, a plain old snap trap seems more humane

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Their dying wish was for a Slim Jim, she was just a little too late.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

gently caress me I know this is the cursed thread but this is almost too cursed. Makes me wonder what the hell’s really going on with all those monkeys in Elon Musk’s brainchip horror show factory.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

That cake better be minty.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I get the benefit (and perhaps necessity) of animal testing but gently caress ME I would never have the stomach for that sort of casual murder.
The last mouse I had was a little white one with red eyes and I cried my face off when he died of old age.

Between this and the chick grinder, I might have to go vegan finally.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress me I know this is the cursed thread but this is almost too cursed. Makes me wonder what the hell’s really going on with all those monkeys in Elon Musk’s brainchip horror show factory.

Well they’re drilling holes in chimp heads and basically hot gluing microchips into their brain hoping it’ll work. Kinda hard to go down from there, but there’s always worse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inzombiac posted:

I get the benefit (and perhaps necessity) of animal testing but gently caress ME I would never have the stomach for that sort of casual murder.
The last mouse I had was a little white one with red eyes and I cried my face off when he died of old age.

We told you to stop grinding chicks

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

yeah every now and then an animal research role pops up in my job search, I'll contemplate how many mice I'll have to grind up and just close the window.

one of my old jobs had an onsite small scale farm for testing vaccines and providing blood serum for lab testing. Guinea pigs, rats, cows, pigs. I never actually made it out there to see how hosed up it was, thankfully

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 14, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol the Pikachu one is more hilarious:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Robobot posted:

Well they’re drilling holes in chimp heads and basically hot gluing microchips into their brain hoping it’ll work. Kinda hard to go down from there, but there’s always worse.

Ahhh, the Aperture Science method. Throw science at the wall and see what sticks.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
gimme dat snussy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1603021593835638784

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

neuralink isn't doing anything that any other brain-machine research institute is doing, they're just doing it harder and faster

the ethical way to do this, which involves permanently altering the brain of a sentient creature in a manner that guarantees its death, is to do this as rarely as possible and only when you have no alternative but to crack open an ape's skull to see if this thing you're confident will work, actually does work. the goal here is to eventually develop devices that will eventually make the overall quality of life better for human beings

what elon musk's company is doing is trying to brute force some innovation by an increased testing schedule. sort of like, we want to make a more perfect omelet, so first we need to break a fuckload of eggs (ape skulls). however, there's already a bunch of research going on in this field, and there is nothing to be gained from casting scientific ethics aside to increase the pace of testing. neuralink doesn't have any big idea they're chasing down, they're just under orders to figure out something that will make elon look like a man of genius, like all his other miserably failing companies founded on the whim of an ignorant manchild

is it bad if the train wiggles? this seems like a really whiny complaint. thin gruel for the doomer appetite

the chad urbanist, looking at a recently built light rail line: "hmm, tracks aren't straight enough. this is bad actually"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Cant do the same speed as traffic because of all the weaving, so the time saving aspect from the train just disappears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

Cant do the same speed as traffic because of all the weaving, so the time saving aspect from the train just disappears

thats pretty much universal among light rail at-grade systems

i looked it up and this stretch of like six blocks is the only bit that goes curvy because of the need to accommodate left turn lanes, which imo is a pretty acceptable compromise for a light rail system built in a red state over the last 20 years or so

dude's just trying to attract a set of insta followers who mistake whining for insight. not a bad clout building strategy on today's internet tbh