Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
You all are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

biceps crimes posted:

what are you talking about, people absolutely care about the lows. ice accumulates over night and people need to wrap their pipes and poo poo to prevent freezing. the overnight lows will sometimes shut down the cities and schools. warming centers get opened up for the homeless so they don't die overnight. i feel like im taking crazy pills reading this thread

you gotta wrap your pipe so it doesn't burst all over the walls

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
“Cold weather is cold every year, people shouldn’t worry about several consecutive days of below freezing temperatures” I say as I turn all my faucets on so my pipes don’t freeze because it’s 40 degrees.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Phoenix gets an average low of 45 in January. I suppose they also never have to worry about freezing weather ever at all since that's just totally a normal thing for them every winter

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

it’s like climate change, you can’t debate the freezing point of water

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

Phoenix gets an average low of 45 in January. I suppose they also never have to worry about freezing weather ever at all since that's just totally a normal thing for them every winter

thinking about all the people throwing bedsheets over their citrus trees on freeze nights lol

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
we don't make fun of texas because they forget it gets cold we make fun of texas because their lovely libertarian power grid breaks if you look at it weird

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

Weatherdammerung 2022: You are all stupid.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

saintonan posted:

Weatherdammerung 2022: You are all stupid.

C-SPAM subtitle really

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

well yeah but what does that have to do with water freezing at 40° in texas

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

you can add salt or whatever to water to decrease the freezing point. So what do they add to water to increase the freezing point

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Luneshot posted:

you can add salt or whatever to water to decrease the freezing point. So what do they add to water to increase the freezing point

It's all the supplements in the sewage from Alex Jones.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Shifty Nipples posted:

well yeah but what does that have to do with water freezing at 40° in texas

everything’s bigger in texas, including freezing points

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i was saying that people care about the overnight lows because they can dip into the low 20s and require wrapping pipes. overnight lows can be dangerous. the temps during all 24 hours of the day matter.

just because the average low in a month is 42 doesn't mean it's 42 every day. it could be 50, or it could be 20, even if the month averages out to a temperature above freezing. do you people understand lows? averages? the freezing point of water?

The other poster was saying people only care about highs because weather only happens when you're awake. i cant believe im having to type this out, i must be getting trolled

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Dec 14, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spacemang_spliff posted:

you gotta wrap your pipe so it doesn't burst all over the walls

the back ones?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Real hurthling! posted:

the back ones?

the back ones

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys should switch to Celsius like a normal country so all this confusion wouldn't happen

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

you guys should switch to Celsius like a normal country so all this confusion wouldn't happen

that won't help people who don't understand monthly averages or lows vs highs vs daily averages

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but water freezes at 0, as it should :colbert:

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1603082287297724417

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

biceps crimes posted:

i was saying that people care about the overnight lows because they can dip into the low 20s and require wrapping pipes. overnight lows can be dangerous. the temps during all 24 hours of the day matter.

just because the average low in a month is 42 doesn't mean it's 42 every day. it could be 50, or it could be 20, even if the month averages out to a temperature above freezing. do you people understand lows? averages? the freezing point of water?

The other poster was saying people only care about highs because weather only happens when you're awake. i cant believe im having to type this out, i must be getting trolled

When was the last time it actually went below 20 degrees overnight in central texas? It doesn't even get to the point where anyone here have to worry about any poo poo freezing frequently like you're implying.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

biceps crimes posted:

that won't help people who don't understand monthly averages or lows vs highs vs daily averages

poo poo, that's like, all of us

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/NbergWX/status/1602751559942684673

Im gonna need a thicker tarp

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

there's also a tornado in New Orleans now too, about a hour or so east of New Iberia

https://twitter.com/wunderground/status/1603144958223032321

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

did we break the jetstream

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

there's also a tornado in New Orleans now too, about a hour or so east of New Iberia

https://twitter.com/wunderground/status/1603144958223032321

oh this one does not look good :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

#lockitin

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

lmao I am not ready

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://twitter.com/OfficialJoelF/status/1603155263837675520

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
And here's the same model for the same morning but today's run.

It's quite likely there is going to be a big cold snap east of the Rockies.

As for central Texas, San Angelo dropped to 15F on March 12, 2022 and typically sees several days each year 20F or colder. In the Feb 2021 event it got to -1F there two consecutive days.

Cold can cause problems in many areas, even if you sitting at your mom's house are fine. So stfu.

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

did we break the jetstream

this weather fucks!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress me up cold daddy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

Ice IX

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ain’t no basements to seek shelter in

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SirPablo posted:

It's quite likely there is going to be a big cold snap east of the Rockies.

As for central Texas, San Angelo dropped to 15F on March 12, 2022 and typically sees several days each year 20F or colder. In the Feb 2021 event it got to -1F there two consecutive days.

Cold can cause problems in many areas, even if you sitting at your mom's house are fine. So stfu.

What did that model say today was going to be like 10 days ago

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

What did that model say today was going to be like 10 days ago

Something that was not exactly right, and that's the point! No single iteration of a weather model is ever 100% accurate. That is why they are run literally hundreds of times each day, to produce a number of solutions that may or may not converge on a similar solution.

It also doesn't matter what this one model said today's weather would be ten days. We can correct for systemic biases but noise in the Earth's climate (weather) is not itself correctable.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

SirPablo posted:

We can correct for systemic biases but noise in the CSPAM weather thread is not itself correctable

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

Weren't you the poster that didn't understand the connection between hail and climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh good, Houston's fine.

SirPablo posted:

Oh no!