Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They should bring out the F-16XL, the F-15 STOL/MTD, and the AST21 Super Tomcat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DancingShade posted:

One alone will survive and he will be known only as... Turrican. DUNCAN IDAHO

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gently caress all that technowizard bullshit, back the A-1 Skyraider :colbert:

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Ardennes posted:

there has been a concerted effort to mangle it (along with the A-10 and the F-15EX) in favor of well...I think everyone knows what.
That’s right, it’s

The MIC only wants one thing, and it’s disgusting!

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

my god its beautiful

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Grumman X-29 or nothing.

Don't tell me "unstable". They have whizz bang computer gizmos for that these days. Tell the kids to plug in their iPhones so the plane thinks smarter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
comedy option: the Boeing X-32

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'll support this if we can give it a paint job that looks like a goldfish.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpKp73kJtI

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ah, Ukraine's second-favorite Austrian

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

literally a lolplane

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

literally a lolplane

It always looks so happy.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
https://www.moonofalabama.org/2022/12/us-to-send-more-wunderwaffen-to-ukraine.html#more

Hurm....

quote:

The phased array radar that Patriot systems use are good but they are also a weakness. They are visible from satellites with Synthetic Aperture Radar. As researchers have found some years ago:

Amid a busy few weeks of nuclear-related news, an Israeli researcher made a very surprising OSINT discovery that flew somewhat under the radar. As explained in a Medium article, Israeli GIS analyst Harel Dan noticed that when he accidentally adjusted the noise levels of the imagery produced from the SENTINEL-1 satellite constellation, a bunch of colored Xs suddenly appeared all over the globe.

SENTINEL-1’s C-band Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) operates at a centre frequency of 5.405 GHz, which conveniently sits within the range of the military frequency used for land, airborne, and naval radar systems (5.250-5.850 GHz)—including the AN/MPQ-53/65 phased array radars that form the backbone of a Patriot battery’s command and control system. Therefore, Harel correctly hypothesized that some of the Xs that appeared in the SENTINEL-1 images could be triggered by interference from Patriot radar systems.

Using this logic, he was able to use the Xs to pinpoint the locations of Patriot batteries in several Middle Eastern countries, including Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

quote:

While SENTINEL-1 images of Ukraine will now likely be censored there is no need for Russia to use those. It has its own SAR systems:

Kondor, GRAU index 14F133, is a series of Earth imaging or military reconnaissance satellites developed by NPO Mashinostroyeniya for the Russian Aerospace Defence Forces which in 2015 became the Russian Space Forces and export customers.
Kondor satellites are equipped to carry either synthetic aperture radar or electro-optical imaging payloads, with the first satellite, and are launched using the Strela carrier rocket, developed by NPO Mashinostroyeniya from retired UR-100 NUTTKh missiles.

Process the SAR data, look for 'noise' crosses, program the coordinates into a number of suicide drones of Iranian design and send them off. This should take no more than an hour. The Russian Reconnaissance Strike Complex is designed to do that:

The Reconnaissance Strike Complex (разведивательно-ударный комплех-RYK) was designed for the coordinated employment of high-precision, long- range weapons linked to real-time intelligence data and precise targeting provided to a fused intelligence and fire-direction center. The RYK functioned at operational depths using surface-to-surface missile systems and aircraft-delivered “smart” munitions. The Reconnaissance Fire Complex (разведивательно-огновой комплех ROK) was the tactical equivalent.
The Reconnaissance Fire System (ROS) is designed to detect, engage and destroy enemy targets in near-real time within the range of tactical units (maneuver battalion and brigade with supporting artillery). On occasion, an artillery brigade or helicopter gunship brigade (a tactical/operational formation) could conduct ROS missions. However, Army Corps and Army Group units normally conduct RYS missions-engaging, detecting and destroying operational targets in near-real time using longer-range reconnaissance and strike systems (especially SSM and aviation systems).

Will the Patriot radar move during the Russian reaction time interval between reconnaissance and strike? I have my doubts.
:thunk:

Emphasis retained from the original article. Maybe those Patriots have some potentially serious vulnerabilities in their utilization, and the system is absolutely not something you can relocate quickly in combat conditions, the sites are essentially immobile once deployed.

GoLambo has issued a correction as of 13:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just stack more patriots together to protect the patriots against the swarm of cheap flying lawnmowers bombs

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cookie Cutter posted:

my god its beautiful

wtf is this

laughing plane

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/colonelhomsi/status/1602921542140280832

Kadyrov says everything's fine.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GoLambo posted:

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2022/12/us-to-send-more-wunderwaffen-to-ukraine.html#more

Hurm....

Emphasis retained from the original article. Maybe those Patriots have some potentially serious vulnerabilities in their utilization, and the system is absolutely not something you can relocate quickly in combat conditions, the sites are essentially immobile once deployed.

The American public has had a spiritual link to the Patriot since 1991, it can’t be jeopardized by the system being revealed to be like any other.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The most apt description of americans - spiritual.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Guided missiles for misguided men... makes you think...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

if you're going to dump pages on us without a summary at least highlight the main points like graednko

I have never understood any of their posts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GoLambo posted:

Hurm....

lmao

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

GoLambo posted:

the sites are essentially immobile once deployed.

The “intermediate gunnery” table qualification requires a Patriot crew to be able to pack up to move site in less than an hour and emplace at a new site in 1 hour.

A lot of enduring locations have a bunch of nice to have basing built around them, but the most basic fire unit element can be moved fairly quickly. It’s obviously nowhere near as mobile as a Buk, but more similar to S-300 in that regard.

Usually even if you have a site staying close-ish to the same asset, it will have a few points it can jump to nearby, not that much unlike artillery being ready to shoot and scoot.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If there’s one thing about winter and mud, it’s how quick and easy it is to get trails up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

does anyone have an update map of the front line

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also if the Patriot reports turn out to be true, I expect it will be another one of those announcements with a pretty long (months+) lead time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just in time to protect the new electrical infrastructure no Canadians voted for

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GoLambo posted:

Hurm....

wouldn’t this work against any radar system if the band is known?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If the radar is switched on and transmitting you can also presumably locate the transmitter without the need for satellites

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

He also said that the unit had a “direct command to murder” anyone sharing information about the unit’s positions, whether military or civilians.

“If someone had a phone – we were allowed to shoot them,” he said. He claims there is little doubt some of the men in the 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade were capable of killing unarmed civilians.

Isn't this just how western militaries operate now?

eg
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/exclusive-british-army-permitted-shooting-civilians-iraq-and-afghanistan

quote:

The British army operated rules of engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan that at times allowed soldiers to shoot unarmed civilians who were suspected of keeping them under surveillance, a Middle East Eye investigation has established.

The casualties included a number of children and teenage boys, according to several former soldiers interviewed by MEE.

Two former infantrymen allege that they and their fellow soldiers serving in southern Iraq were at one point told that they had permission to shoot anyone seen holding a mobile telephone, carrying a shovel, or acting in any way suspiciously

I can't recall whether this is something that happens as above and is ignored or swept under the rug vs the us and British militaries openly saying 'yeah we killed those people for carrying phones, we were right to do so and will do it again'

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lollontee posted:

wtf is this

it's a cool looking delta wing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Combat Mission Shock Force considers civilians with phones artillery observers or spies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Just in time to protect the new electrical infrastructure no Canadians voted for

The beauty of representative government.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

If the Russian wanted to, how easy would it be to make a "show of force" and overwhelm a patriot unit with lawn mower bombs if they get good info the position?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it would pass a vote if it came to it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wouldn’t this work against any radar system if the band is known?

more or less. but it usually gives you an ellipse or a rough area (might span many km), not fire mission quality grids. Need to go out or use imagery to find it proper or use an anti-radiation munition. Also need to do that to make sure you aren’t blindly shooting at decoys.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
War over?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1602713665068752896

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Denys_Shmyhal/status/1602579508795777024

https://twitter.com/gchahal/status/1602878361260490758

edit: also a little bit more mud https://twitter.com/UkrainianNews24/status/1603003335040471040

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Dec 14, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have played enough Snowrunner to know I could be a technical consultant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

to protect our liberal democracy, we must first suspend our liberal democracy. anti-schmittians btfo'd