Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

james rolfe loves his family and has dedicated himself to making content he no longer cares for to support them and for that he must die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

james rolfe loves his family and has dedicated himself to making content he no longer cares for to support them and for that he must die

Then he has an eternal ally who can also relate, Doug Walker

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doug Walker has nothing, though. Nobody to love and no reason to keep doing it other than he has trapped himself into doing it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol mike owns

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what is the secret of wishbone?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
have there been content creators unfamiliar with dwarf fortress who have seen the popularity of the steam version and decided to dive in blind

if anyone here has examples of them, please post some, it's hilarious watching people flounder at it. Pat Stares At gave it a shot despite his notoriously bad mind goblins around games with freedom of decision, and you can practically hear the steam shooting out his ears even so soon as hitting the world generation button
https://twitch.tv/videos/1678403993?t=1443s

Vinny played it and apparently hated it, haven't watched it yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBIrNEvZOk8&hd=1

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

this was made up by the same obsessive hate Reddit we were just complaining about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This autobiography will get the Mysterious Mr. Enter seal of approval for 9/11 recognition.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mr.Radar posted:

Writing On Games makes a video about getting old (and the insidious nature of modern game monetization, but mostly getting old):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIzLByWkgAM

It's funny, I recenetly started playing Fortnite because of No Build, and I'm loving it. I'm 36 years old, but I'm having so much more fun with Fortnite than I do other BRs because it's a silly cartoony off the wall BR that is changing CONSTANTLY. Sometimes certain weapon are annoying to deal with, and I don't like things like the Grapple Glove that lets people easily get to me because I am not good enough to beat console players shooting me point blank with a shotgun. But then I get to be Ariana Grande with Pickle Rick on my back, shooting a flaming arrow at Thanos who is doing the Numa Numa dance. That kind of poo poo rules. If you're completely new to the game or returning after a long time, it's certainly a bit overhwelming but after a few games I don't think it's nearly as crazy as the video makes it seem. However I absolutely do not stand much of a chance against the kids playing this game. Especially right now, it seems like SBMM is the worst it's ever been and it's been a pretty rough start to the season.

The fomo poo poo absolutely sucks though. The rotating shop is lame but at least I know eventually a skin I want will come back if it was on the shop (Arian Grande was what I wanted from day 1, and she finally went back on the shop). But because they were Battle Pass skins, I can never get Rick or Lara Croft. And people will defend this because gamers are broken when it comes to exclusive poo poo. I really wish they would do the halo thing so I could work on past battle passes so I could get those skins. I was here for the Spiderverse Gwen skin and it looks amazing, and I feel bad for anyone that would've wanted that skin and now can't get it. I hate that poo poo.

But as a BR it's probably the best, and I don't even do the building. Adding in no build was probably the smartest move they ever made, I bet that game has had a big increase in players. And it certainly seems that way, I'm seeing content creators play this game when they otherwise would never have looked its way. The McElroy boys have started playing it ever Monday and they are supremely bad at it, but they get to be a trio of John Cenas and that delights them. Also the game is gorgeous now with the latest update. So bright and colorful

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dovi posted:

this was made up by the same obsessive hate Reddit we were just complaining about

People who rabidly hate something rarely fail to make it seem way cooler and more awesome than the people who love it ever could.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Heyy is there a way to block certain channels from appearing in your search results or am I doomed see seventeen chud clickbait thumbnails every time I wanna look up reactions to the new Willow show

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

have there been content creators unfamiliar with dwarf fortress who have seen the popularity of the steam version and decided to dive in blind

if anyone here has examples of them, please post some, it's hilarious watching people flounder at it. Pat Stares At gave it a shot despite his notoriously bad mind goblins around games with freedom of decision, and you can practically hear the steam shooting out his ears even so soon as hitting the world generation button

I've been enjoying Criken's streams of DF, he's become fairly taken by it. In his second stream he keeps accidentally killing every wild animal he loves because they wander onto a saw trap.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1673193767

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Somehow I am both shocked and unsurprised to find out that Cinemassacre Truth is now just making poo poo up in order to satiate their hunger for hating James Rolfe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i always liked the streamers who picked a Spooky game for halloween as streamer content landing on SOMA because that ends up not being a standard jump-scare "i poo poo my pants!!!" game at all, and in fact owns

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FreezingInferno posted:

Somehow I am both shocked and unsurprised to find out that Cinemassacre Truth is now just making poo poo up in order to satiate their hunger for hating James Rolfe.

Has Rolfe's output really changed? He still makes videos on hard NES games. James is, in fact, better at it now than he used to be even, which is something other bespectacled critics cannot say. The Halloween special on Polybius was a fun little horror mini-movie.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I will say that some videos by him playing on decades old brick jokes like the one where he argues with himself from years ago works really well, and I'm surprised that some videos got poo poo on (Immortal, Ljn Part 2) when they were character pieces that played along with either how the game itself worked or how game dev turned out to be a bigger pain in the butt. If you just see those as "Oh I can't wait to hear about an awful game I haven't heard before", its a bit overwrought but for pieces that work together with the setting? Works surprisingly well and I'm surprised Lady Emily didn't try to defend both of those on that front.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The book looks fine. Going to a subreddit dedicated to obsessing over a 5th tier youtube celebrity negatively is where I think the poster's brain is being harmed.

That's an odd taxonomy right there. (What would be a 1st tier youtube celebrity on this case?) I am looking forward to getting some time to calmly read that book on off time.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I've never been a fan of AVGN or James Rolfe's content, but it seems to me that a lot of the hatedom that's developed around him has a lot to do with an inability of those fans to move on from something they used to enjoy when it no longer appeals to them. It's a problem a lot of long-running franchises run into: A segment of the fanbase expects an endless stream of "the same" content that they initially enjoyed, but the nature of the creative medium means that that isn't going to happen. Creators change, readers change and nothing ultimately lasts forever.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As well as the different types of videos he was making, the sponsorship segments in his newer videos were a big part of it. These people are the obsessives who invest way too much energy into the parasocial relationships they build up with online personalities, and then James “betrayed” that "friendship" by trying to sell them stuff.

Of course by this point the original complaint no longer matters. It seems to have become self-sustaining in that Kiwifarms way where hating someone is assumed to be the default state, and constantly scrutinizing them, trying to find new justifications for that hate becomes the goal.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I did frown a bit at him advertising the Boring Flamethrower, but it was just a prop for a quick thing and not something like the Mr. Regular Tesla reviews.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Oops wrong thread

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess a bunch of immature weirdos would be completely unable to understand how a person might keep doing something that he’s no longer passionate about because he has responsibilities and needs to pay his bills.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

All this poo poo started with all the INTRIGUE and DRAMA with Bootsy, and then even that kind of started to go into him and Mike Matei falling out after Mike decided to do his own thing + concentrate on streaming (which of course, wasn't the case). These divvies have nothing better to do than paint this ludicrous scenario where James is basically locked up in his basement and forced to make vidoes on the orders of the big cheeses at Screenwave Media, with Justin Silverman keeping a ruthless 24 hour guard outside his door. He's only ever let out to play old Black Sabbath songs once in a while as a treat.

It's such a joke. I mean, sure, AVGN may not necessarily be as good as he was but considering that he's been doing it for nearly TWENTY years, it still keeps a perfectly fine standard, and the general vibe there has just about always been a chilled one. It's like purposely picking the guys who on average have the least drama around them to try and create fake drama around. Even folks like Mike who were the main ones that had any drama at all have long ago mellowed out and became pretty chill.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 14, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BrianWilly posted:

Heyy is there a way to block certain channels from appearing in your search results or am I doomed see seventeen chud clickbait thumbnails every time I wanna look up reactions to the new Willow show
i would've thought selecting "don't recommend channel" in the ellipsis menu of a video would remove them from search results as well

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

i would've thought selecting "don't recommend channel" in the ellipsis menu of a video would remove them from search results as well

AHA
AHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHA

gently caress no, that would make too much sense.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dovi posted:

its real to me drat it...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

im glad james is selling stuff like raid shadow legends a thing he knows nothing about it rules lol

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The thing I like about Raid: Shadow Legends is that they apparently have really poor oversight on the promos people do for it. Back before he was consumed by 2000s-era kids sitcoms, I remember QuintonReviews did a few adspots for Raid that felt like sarcastic parodies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ghostlight posted:

Google tells me there's a way to block channels by going into their "about" page, but that doesn't help when you search. :sweatdrop:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

The thing I like about Raid: Shadow Legends is that they apparently have really poor oversight on the promos people do for it. Back before he was consumed by 2000s-era kids sitcoms, I remember QuintonReviews did a few adspots for Raid that felt like sarcastic parodies.

caddicarus would passive aggressively insult shadow legends the entire promo lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

Did Quinton actually get a sponsorship? I thought the joke was he never got one which is why he ran them down, which is more than fair because even for a gacha game it's pretty bad.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Macaluso posted:

It's funny, I recenetly started playing Fortnite because of No Build, and I'm loving it. I'm 36 years old, but I'm having so much more fun with Fortnite than I do other BRs because it's a silly cartoony off the wall BR that is changing CONSTANTLY. Sometimes certain weapon are annoying to deal with, and I don't like things like the Grapple Glove that lets people easily get to me because I am not good enough to beat console players shooting me point blank with a shotgun. But then I get to be Ariana Grande with Pickle Rick on my back, shooting a flaming arrow at Thanos who is doing the Numa Numa dance. That kind of poo poo rules. If you're completely new to the game or returning after a long time, it's certainly a bit overhwelming but after a few games I don't think it's nearly as crazy as the video makes it seem. However I absolutely do not stand much of a chance against the kids playing this game. Especially right now, it seems like SBMM is the worst it's ever been and it's been a pretty rough start to the season.

I've played Fortnite on and off for years now, and the thing I like about it the most is how it's both the biggest crossover property of all time (seriously, you can have Superman wearing Lara Croft's backpack firing a Kamehameha at Naruto wielding a lightsaber while webslinging with Spider-Man's webshooters, it's insane) while having none of those crossovers matter; there's no Kratos talking poo poo to Darth Vader, Master Chief and Doom Slayer aren't going to recreate the Spider-Men pointing meme, Ryu's not going to challenge Goku to a fight. Having no real interaction with each other is what helps make the crossovers happen; you don't have to worry about appeasing a celebrity's ego or argue with Disney or WB about how many punches Batman and Iron Man can throw at each other before the fight ends. Your character isn't Chun-Li, she's just cosplaying as Chun-Li.

I do agree that No Build is great, it's the best thing that's happened to Fortnite in years. You lose a lot in mobility options, but it makes the game more honest and comparable to traditional shooters like CoD while having a better aesthetic. I'd love to see them work in more permanent traditional MP formats like Team Deathmatch into the game in the future just to give players more options.

quote:

The fomo poo poo absolutely sucks though. The rotating shop is lame but at least I know eventually a skin I want will come back if it was on the shop (Arian Grande was what I wanted from day 1, and she finally went back on the shop). But because they were Battle Pass skins, I can never get Rick or Lara Croft. And people will defend this because gamers are broken when it comes to exclusive poo poo. I really wish they would do the halo thing so I could work on past battle passes so I could get those skins. I was here for the Spiderverse Gwen skin and it looks amazing, and I feel bad for anyone that would've wanted that skin and now can't get it. I hate that poo poo.

The way Halo does it should be the industry standard, especially if you spent money on a Battle Pass to get access to the full set of rewards. It's why I stopped buying them for Fortnite (with v-bucks I've earned in-game. I think the most I've spent on Fortnite is like fifteen bucks); I don't play enough to max out a pass in time even if I was in on one from the beginning, much less if I get in the mood to play Fortnite in the middle of a season. I'd be better off saving v-bucks for skins I want in the store

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 15, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

KingKalamari posted:

I don’t think they really care, if anything it makes viewers more likely to watch the ad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: How in the world did I manage to double post in 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RatHat posted:

I don’t think they really care, if anything it makes viewers more likely to watch the ad

Yep. Engagement is engagement, and if they can get more eyeballs with mockery than with banal cheerleading then I'm sure they're all for it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Solitair posted:

I'm still reading through the AoT manga to get context for what happened, but my first guess is that Isayama was going for a tragic ending in the vein of Watchmen and couldn't pull it off.

a little old but between this, GoT chat, hbomberguy's sherlock video on in the background, and youtube suggesting "promised neverland" stuff to me, the theme of "well, it started getting bad awhile ago but we didn't realize it because we thought they were actually going somewhere with all the little details and loose plot ends and then everything just kind of got dropped on the floor, the end" is wedged in my mind so lol

I can never tell how much of these things just dying on the vine are "we were flying blind and had no idea how to stick the landing so we just kept making poo poo up until we ran out of runway", how much it's "we had a defined plot in mind but then it got popular so we had to deviate from the story we wanted to tell to sell more tie-in merch" and how much is "we were going to do this thing but then people guessed we were going to do that thing so we had to do something else to make sure they didn't feel like they called it"

it's always wild just how throughly that sort of mishandling retroactively kills everything that came before it to the point nobody wants to talk or think about it anymore

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Promised Neverland might have had a bad manga run, I wouldn't know. But it did genuinely get way worse in season 2 when they more or less turned into a montage going through several seasons worth of stuff all at once.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think at least some of these stories that fail to stick the landing were the result of a premise that just didn't have the legs for sustained media. It happens all the time in comics and manga. Things get popular and them they can't just end, they need to keep going long after the initial hook has been dragged out because the sales demand it. Something like The Promised Neverland has a really cool setup but once you move past that premise it starts to lose its appeal. That doesn't excuse the second season nosedive, mind you.

Same thing happens with sequels where it's just the first story over again but not as good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's not widespread (yet) but I've already seen SponsorBlock-proof in-video pop-ups and lower thirds and I worry we're headed for an even worse future when it comes to sponsored content.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Did Quinton actually get a sponsorship? I thought the joke was he never got one which is why he ran them down, which is more than fair because even for a gacha game it's pretty bad.

If I remember right he got one once, then the next video he put out after he said he'd done loads of research and got really into the lore and did a section talking about it, explaining stuff and complaining he didn't get offered a second sponsorship. It was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"we were flying blind and had no idea how to stick the landing so we just kept making poo poo up until we ran out of runway"
ah, the Battlestar Galactica strategy