Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ok Iowa, we paid you back for taking Jake Rudock, now go away from our roster :v:

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/1603075338149453827?t=GHHUX3GrJUvn0hvHyzIT5A&s=19

Apparently Erick All hurt his back and the Michigan medical staff thought he didn't need surgery and/or were ready for him to start playing again. It's a near-copy of Cade too, where he couldn't rehab right from the leg injury and the Michigan staff said the same thing. Both doctors are a bit sketchy apparently, but Michigan did the right thing and paid for both surgeries. Provided they both recover fine, two super high-tier pickups for Iowa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fast cars loose anus posted:

Learned this from an Athletic article

What a weird line to draw

Remember the game he lost vs Memphis because the refs did some wild wild poo poo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Learned this from an Athletic article

What a weird line to draw

Holy poo poo that is an egregiously bad rule

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If they wanted some arbitrary winning requirement, seems like career wins regardless of win% would be better anyway. How many people are gonna be in coaching long enough to rack up over, say, 100 wins while going .400? And that coach probably isn't going to get in, anyway.

Yeah, dumb loving rule all around.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean *surely* there is some sort of path for a "generally agreed upon candidate" that can like get majority rule or something to be added?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
you'd think it would be obvious already

like if I walked into the CFB HoF and was like "so where's the Schnellenberger display?" and they went "well he wasn't good enough to get in by win %" I would leave immediately because that HoF would be a farce

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Weren't you tut-tutting people for making sexual assault jokes like a month ago

I don't even get the joke

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm a rule follower by nature and 0.596 and 0.600 really does seem like a difference without distinction.

There's also an inherent flaw that it requires "win a lot" to be worth the HoF. If you had a 10 year career that you won 0, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 in your first seven season, then capped if off by running three straight undefeated national title seasons, capping off the greatest turnaround ever and likely setting the winning streak record, and riding off into the sunset, you have a winning percentage of 0.599. No HoF for you, godking of football?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Sash! posted:

I'm a rule follower by nature and 0.596 and 0.600 really does seem like a difference without distinction.

There's also an inherent flaw that it requires "win a lot" to be worth the HoF. If you had a 10 year career that you won 0, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 in your first seven season, then capped if off by running three straight undefeated national title seasons, capping off the greatest turnaround ever and likely setting the winning streak record, and riding off into the sunset, you have a winning percentage of 0.599. No HoF for you, godking of football?

or for dudes like Mike Leach who made a career at turning around bad teams and literally invented the modern passing offense that is wildly influential. gently caress that guy apparently? over one loving game?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Relentlessboredomm posted:

or for dudes like Mike Leach who made a career at turning around bad teams and literally invented the modern passing offense that is wildly influential. gently caress that guy apparently? over one loving game?

or the guy who is the reason "The U" exists at all not being in there because he's just barely over .500 for his career

like, what

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There is a dude in baseball history who was the first person to start insisting that balls have to be caught on the fly instead of on the first bounce to be an out and also he invented the position of shortstop.

He is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame because he has a mediocre batting average.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

There is a dude in baseball history who was the first person to start insisting that balls have to be caught on the fly instead of on the first bounce to be an out and also he invented the position of shortstop.

He is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame because he has a mediocre batting average.

baseball writers/HoF voters are a special kind of fart-huffing gatekeeper.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Wait what where did that guy stand before the position was set

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

this is also wrong and should be corrected, sure

Metapod posted:

Wait what where did that guy stand before the position was set

essentially between the outfielders and the 3 guys covering bases in a short outfield type position (sort of like how you might have seen some 2B's recently in the shift, but behind 2nd instead of right or left of it) because back then the ball was such that you really couldn't get it from the outfield to the infield on the fly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

baseball writers/HoF voters are a special kind of fart-huffing gatekeeper.

Yeah, I read a feature on him years ago (I don't recall his name), and the feature made it seem like he was the most influential individual in the development of baseball as a modern sport, but he batted like .245 or something, so gently caress him I guess

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Doc Adams. He was also instrumental in games being 9 innings and the winning team being whichever had more runs instead of the previous rule of having to have at least 21 to win, the bases being 90 feet apart, and was the first umpire to ever call a strike (previously you had to swing to get a strike).

It's largely dumb politics reasons he's not in; Alexander Cartwright claimed credit for a lot of it

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

the previous rule of having to have at least 21 to win

holy loving poo poo this sounds tortuous

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Seaniqua posted:

holy loving poo poo this sounds tortuous

yes the impetus for the change of this was a game suspended by darkness in the 12th tied 12-12 lol

He also once was on the winning side of a 51-42 game. Sorry for all the baseball derailing but this guy's fascinating

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
In penance here's more Leach facts courtesy The Ringer

quote:

You can track Leach’s influence through the people who played for him and coached under him. Leach’s quarterback at Oklahoma in the late ’90s, Josh Heupel, now coaches the top scoring offense in college football at Tennessee. This year’s Heisman winner (Caleb Williams) and runner-up (Max Duggan) are coached by former Leach assistants, USC’s Lincoln Riley and TCU’s Sonny Dykes. So were five of the last 10 Heisman-winning QBs—Williams, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel, and Robert Griffin III. So were seven of this past week’s 32 NFL starting quarterbacks—Mahomes, Murray, Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Geno Smith, and Jared Goff.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fifty Three posted:

Weren't you tut-tutting people for making sexual assault jokes like a month ago

what’s the joke

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Waifu Radia posted:

what’s the joke

You.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Penn state fans still a bit sore I see

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should see the other guys!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Second Mile alumni probably moreso

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog: 8/10
GD_American: 9/10

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

?? im universally beloved.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Please tighten things up, I know it’s the before-bowls lull but it’s too far away from week 1 next year for the posting to slack this much.

Back to Leach. Not surprising that Spencer Hall had good, detailed, complex thoughts on him in the Channel Six feed:

quote:

He didn’t, by the way, care what you might think or how you might react to his level of remove. Not at all. That in now way was posturing. He could recommend a book for you, but never read what you recommended for him. I’m not making that up: I just reread a story I wrote after going fishing with him in Key West, and realized over a decade later that the dude never followed up on anything we talked about, ever. He found the things he found interesting, interesting. He found the things you found interesting to be optional at best, and at worst, a pesky distraction from the thing he wanted to talk about.

I want you to know how much it hurts to write even the bad and accurate things about him in the past tense.

There is a world where Mike Leach takes the bar exam, and subsequently takes up law practice somewhere in Southern California, and a hole is blasted in our timeline rendering college football unrecognizable. His coaching tree is half the sport at this moment, and will only expand from here. There is no Lincoln Riley, Sonny Dykes, Dave Aranda, or Kliff Kingsbury without him, no Y-Cross in every playbook, no CRABTRAYYYYYYYY along the sideline for the win. If Coach Leach doesn’t happen, Nick Saban is still slamming a running back into the line three downs in a row and punting, and I never would have gotten to pulverize my brother with 2003 Texas Tech in "NCAA Football."

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

E: nvm

I like the idea of number of wins instead of winning percentage. Helps out with non-blue bloods get their due, though I know plenty well that's all the HoF cares out anyways with modern entrants.

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE
Nobody made a RIP thread for Captain Leach? drat, this place sure has changed a lot. Well, RIP to one of the most entertaining and influential football coaches we'll ever see. A great dude too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chieves posted:

I like the idea of number of wins instead of winning percentage. Helps out with non-blue bloods get their due, though I know plenty well that's all the HoF cares out anyways with modern entrants.

It's not like Leach ever coached anywhere where wins were guaranteed too. He was the OC/QB coach at OU for one season in Bob Stoops first year--which did start a turnaround from some pretty serious late 90's mediocrity/terribleness for Oklahoma. They went 7-5 after 5 years of losing records or .500 seasons. Next season they'd run the table although he'd left to coach Tech. Helping make Oklahoma go 7-5 was good enough to get him a head coaching gig, which says something.

So that's the only true football factory name he ever coached in any fashion. Tech is, well bless them, Texas Tech. Wazzu, Mississippi State.

And yeah like has been noted that's before we get into how much he (and Mumme, and others, but he was real big here) fundamentally changed the way the game is played. There is absolutely no argument for keeping him out of the hall of fame.

e: I also agree that the door should be wider for a bunch of other guys, and if that .600% winning percentage bullshit is a real thing in any way, well that's some bullshit.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 15, 2022

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I literally don't know what the joke was. Did Lowtax rape SA mods?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I kinda get the idea of a winning percentage thing, but more in the line of "you pretty much get a guarantee you're in if you're above .750."

Like that baseball guy earlier that was like "I invented an entire position" should absolutely be in. Innovators aren't always successful in the broader game. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys that invented most of the stock receiver routes weren't exactly huge players.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tut tut tut tut tut tut tut tut

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Detergent posted:

Nobody made a RIP thread for Captain Leach? drat, this place sure has changed a lot. Well, RIP to one of the most entertaining and influential football coaches we'll ever see. A great dude too.

It’s quieter on the CFB side, to be honest.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea we don’t really get enough traffic for that. Everyone kind of said their share already. Plus it’s the slow week before bowls start.

Now if Saban croaks, then we probably need a thread.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mike Leach once tricked Texas with a fake playbook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUy1wFhIvWs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It looks like Mississippi State isn't just temporarily promoting Zach Arnett but rather inking a 4 yr head coach deal. Does that seem hasty?

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

BonoMan posted:

It looks like Mississippi State isn't just temporarily promoting Zach Arnett but rather inking a 4 yr head coach deal. Does that seem hasty?

Yes. They should bring Dan Mullen back :ohdear:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It’s probably a school friendly contract that lets them move on if they need to. Mullen might be a better hire and he seems like he is flirting with coming back but who knows if he wants to return to Starkville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KKKLIP ART posted:

It’s probably a school friendly contract that lets them move on if they need to. Mullen might be a better hire and he seems like he is flirting with coming back but who knows if he wants to return to Starkville.

gently caress Mullen. I hate how he left and don't want him back.