Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Jazerus posted:

stuff like the vestigial hammerer role that doesn't make sense for the player to actually fill really reminds me of how much fort mode still needs a rework. i'm really enjoying the accessibility of the new version but there is a lot of fort mode stuff that needs like, specific work with an eye on game design and enabling players to do things they want to do like setting up complicated production/decoration chains more easily, instead of the classic toady thing where he disappears for a year and comes back up with an entirely new system of bafflingly enormous scope that only tangentially impacts fort mode. i still want him to do that but only after ironing DF out into like, just a bit more of a game

nah, I'll take the procedurally generated magic insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

turning world savagery up is probably a good idea anyway, so far medium-savagery embarks have been virtually devoid of wildlife for me

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, max savagery seems to be the way to go. Anything else and the overworld feels way too empty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jazerus posted:

stuff like the vestigial hammerer role that doesn't make sense for the player to actually fill really reminds me of how much fort mode still needs a rework. i'm really enjoying the accessibility of the new version but there is a lot of fort mode stuff that needs like, specific work with an eye on game design and enabling players to do things they want to do like setting up complicated production/decoration chains more easily, instead of the classic toady thing where he disappears for a year and comes back up with an entirely new system of bafflingly enormous scope that only tangentially impacts fort mode. i still want him to do that but only after ironing DF out into like, just a bit more of a game

My secret hope is that all the steam dwarfbux just get plowed into hiring, like, one qa tester and one bug fixer programmer

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jazerus posted:

I'm still annoyed that you can specify the design/image for statues but only if they are made out of stone, if you decide you want to make a statue out of clay the details button just isn't there and you have to let the sculptor decide.

there's a lot of fiddly little things like that, where a feature is only partially implemented or implemented in a really weird and inconsistent way, and has been for in some cases 10+ years

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jazerus posted:

I remember thinking this sort of thing over a decade ago

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Somehow my "Mining" labor will no longer let me select "Everyone does this" across multiple games (within a single world). I can only pick "Only selected do this." Any ideas on how to fix that?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Recently got this game as a gift, and man I do NOT understand anything I am doing. I suddenly have like well over a hundred dwarves somehow after three years? and also a giant came very recently and killed like three people before my entire militia and like seven other dwarves brought her down, and that was literally the second combat experience my dwarves had all game lmao (the first was two undead goblins)

I have no idea what is going on but this game is so good

simble
May 11, 2004

Chic Trombone posted:

I have no idea what is going on but this game is so good

Now that's a thread title.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, max savagery seems to be the way to go. Anything else and the overworld feels way too empty.

I did a test embark in a savage neutral area and there was this wolf howl going off constantly. It was kinda annoying.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been doing a lot of flood gate and water stuff and Im' always left with mountains of dead fish when draining an area, but my guys always throw them away. Does the game have some stupid mechanic were only fish caught by "fishing" counts as food, and fish left dead from water being drained are just garbage?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I did a test embark in a savage neutral area and there was this wolf howl going off constantly. It was kinda annoying.

I get this on half my map, the other half sounds like a gurgling swamp. One side was a tropical marsh, the other a savage beach or something. It'll be cool when there's some more sound ambience added in, the tavern one gets old quick too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All my bedrooms are covered in discarded worn x CLOTHES x of various types. Is there any way to recycle these, fix them up, or auto-dump them?

Also the first few years I had no trouble with food or drink. I have auto orders to make drinks when stocks are below 100, and cook fine meals when stocks are below 20. I always had a slowly growing stock of seeds and plants. But suddenly I seem to have almost no seeds or plants. I can't plant my farms because no seeds. Where did all my seeds go? How was my farming and plant use somehow not generating a surplus of seeds?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Pro-tip for using displays to up the value of rooms like guildhalls, temples, etc: People really like to steal your valuable artifacts if they are on a display. If you see some human or elf noble with a name like "Lord" or "High Liberator" or whatever, that jerk is probably here to steal your artifact. Half the time one of your dwarves will hand it over to them and you can convict the dwarf but the rear end in a top hat he handed it off to is long gone.

How do you fix this? Simple, make a little room as a side addition to your guildhall or whatever. Put the display with your ungodly valuable artifact in there. Then wall that motherfucker off. It still counts even if no one can see it.

secret vault

lol I'll have to try this just in case. I've only had gobs/kobolds sneaking in to steal random artifacts I didn't know I owned, mostly scrolls, since they seem to just lay around no matter what. Its always near edge of map too so no chance anyone catches hem in the act really lol.

Does making nice guildhalls do anything, I have had 2 requested so far and nobody seems to hang out in them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

First elven caravan in my new fort had one of these for sale.
Do I have to keep it fed or something? I've noticed that other carnivores like cats and dogs don't seem to eat anything.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I can tell no you dont have to feed it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what do i do with my stray elephants anyway

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Same thing you do with every animal you no longer care about: butcher them for resources.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

what do i do with my stray elephants anyway
kill it for meat and leather with your military. Hunters may also try.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can i make them breed first

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you can breed tamed elephants you should make war elephants for conquest.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Khanstant posted:

Does making nice guildhalls do anything, I have had 2 requested so far and nobody seems to hang out in them.

From what I understand, people in them will teach the skill to others. They start as "guildmembers only" which isn't all that useful; I've seen people recommend turning it to "citizens" or "citizens and long term residents" and then unskilled dwarves will come in and learn the skill slowly. In particular, I've read that you can get dwarven children starting to learn skills this way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
where do you see mandates now

also does assigning dormitories to taverns do the same thing as assigning bedrooms to them

khy
Aug 15, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

also does assigning dormitories to taverns do the same thing as assigning bedrooms to them

Hit 'n' to look at your nobles and mouseover the icon on the right of their needs (Bedroom/dining room/etc). That'll show you their mandates.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

IronicDongz posted:

Nobles screen has a little hammer icon with their demands/mandates/etc

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Baronjutter posted:

All my bedrooms are covered in discarded worn x CLOTHES x of various types. Is there any way to recycle these, fix them up, or auto-dump them?

Also the first few years I had no trouble with food or drink. I have auto orders to make drinks when stocks are below 100, and cook fine meals when stocks are below 20. I always had a slowly growing stock of seeds and plants. But suddenly I seem to have almost no seeds or plants. I can't plant my farms because no seeds. Where did all my seeds go? How was my farming and plant use somehow not generating a surplus of seeds?

Auto-cleaning ruined clothes is one of the big things people use third party 'hacks' for. Dwarves will replace hosed up clothes, but they still 'own' the old stuff and will store them obsessively until every tile and container they own (usually just their bedrooms) is covered in threadbare socks.
The ability to repair or recycle old clothes back into cloth/thread, ideally automatically, seems like such a simple thing which could/should have been added a decade ago. I can understand somebody holding on to a particular cloak for sentimental reasons or something (similar to how they can get attached to weapons), but wall to wall rotten old shoes sucks.

StarkRavingMad posted:

From what I understand, people in them will teach the skill to others. They start as "guildmembers only" which isn't all that useful; I've seen people recommend turning it to "citizens" or "citizens and long term residents" and then unskilled dwarves will come in and learn the skill slowly. In particular, I've read that you can get dwarven children starting to learn skills this way.

Building a lavish guildhall for a profession, even if they don't have enough workers to form a guild yet, seems to attract that type of professional as migrants too. I had one metalworker, built a grand metalworker's guild, and got 6 various metal related professionals next wave. If you allow outsiders, they'll come and do skill demonstrations too.

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 14, 2022

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
It's been a while when I last played DF (it was still in 2D), so I'm basically relearning how to play this game.
My forts so far have been abandoned because I noticed I could do things better/more efficient, but I just had my first proper end for a fort. While digging thru an aquifer, and promptly flooded the staircase, I tried salvaging the situation by digging down from another spot and unfortunately dug straight to caverns. With trolls, so many trolls.
My dwarfs didn't stand a chance :gibs:

This did give me a chance to check out the legends, to see if there's something interesting going on, and oh boy is there. Here's some of the more interesting books I found:

code:
Great Reproduction
Inquiries On Mating
The Student's Mating
The World Without Mating
The Hidden Meaning Of Mating
Do We Understand Mating?
These were all written by elfs. They really like to write about fornication :fap:

code:
First The Rising Of The Moon, Then The World!
First The Trees, Then The World!
Completely normal books written, again, by elves. Not worrying at all :stonklol:

code:
The Trees: My Only Mistake
Never Underestimate The Trees
Someone had a bad experience, and golly they wanted others to know too :covidtree:

code:
The Competitor: My Only Mistake
The Art Of Denial
Could It Be Knowledge?
This is like a start to 7 stages of grief :comeback:

code:
The Goblin: Fact Or Fiction
Can The Goblins Save The World?
Even the goblins got creative, and wrote some books about themself. Kinda fun and cute in a way :kimchi:

code:
Give Me Endemic Diseases
Uhhh :dogstare:

code:
Screws, My Life
Never Underestimate Combustion
Can you guess what this dwarf really, really likes and hates? :v:

code:
Journey To Waxing And Waning
The Least Pants And Fells
And these are just flat out strange :confused:

Bonus mentions to these legendary scrolls:
code:
The Burial of Puke
Odors
:barf:

If these enough for a gangtag, then yes please, gimme one. I'm sure I'll have something better eventually, but my habitual start/play/abandon loop might make things take too long :blush:

[edit] Welp, was too late to join the :bandwagon:

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 14, 2022

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Anybody know any fun fort ideas for when my current uberfort inevitably falls to some misadventure?

My current plan is to try to make a One Dwarf Army. Been inspired by my current fort's obsession with collossuses and I'm gonna try to make a fort centered entirely around the construction and training of a single demigod-like warrior who will defend the fortress (and castes of backups for when they inevitably fall down a well or something).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SpiritOfLenin posted:

a kid just made an insanely expensive artifact amulet and promptly declared it to be a family heirloom in honor of some distant ancestor. kid made the amulet mostly out of your bog standard wood... except for the fancy picture she put in it in platinum about something called "the boredom of doctrines".

the kid's eyes are also wet with tears, so this 2-year old kid was crying as she was crafting this intricate amulet while being possessed

Lockdown has been hard on everyone

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Apologies for what might be an obvious question, but with the official Steam release is there a way to turn down/off elements like violence or death? Specifically just building a neat fortress with happy dwarves without having to deal with militias or tantrum spirals, at least for that fort.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, several pages ago I included with my gangtag request not a story, but an ambition: my desire to mass-produce unicorn goods to adorn my fortress and sell to elves. I've spent dozens of hours just... genning worlds and starting forts, all in search of those ellusive beasts.

A couple days ago, I noticed something: though the unicorn's entry in the game data says they spawn in any Temperate/Tropical Shrubland or Forest, and also Taigas... the WIKI specifically mentions that they only spawn in GOOD AREAS.

I have spent loving years looking in the wrong goddamn biomes.

Dwarf Fortress 10/10

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nocturtle posted:

Apologies for what might be an obvious question, but with the official Steam release is there a way to turn down/off elements like violence or death? Specifically just building a neat fortress with happy dwarves without having to deal with militias or tantrum spirals, at least for that fort.

I don't think you can turn everything off but you can disable most external threats with various settings.

Specifically you can disable vampirism, were-creatures, and necromancy in world-gen, and the global settings allow you to turn off invasions.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Good god I forgot just how much water physics tanks performance. I spent a lot of time setting up a central staircase waterfall but I ain't playing at 30 FPS. I figure I'll toggle it on and off every season or two to give them all a good rinse and mood buff.

Next up, figure out how many screwpumps I need for an obsidian farm.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think they replaced the annoying eagle cry with an equally annoying wolf howl. I like both of those sounds in moderation but they gotta at least turn down the frequency if it's gonna be the same sound every 5-10 minutes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Elves keep pissing and making GBS threads about cutting trees so I decided to speed things up by dropping their caravan down a pit. Sadly the spikes haven't been installed yet since my glass industry is still starting up, but now I have a bunch of garbage to give to the humans

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

lmfao

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
How do I use cups? Just store them in a bin next to alcohol? I assume dwarves won't just pick one up and keep it forever.

How do wheelbarrows and minecarts work? Do I need ramps instead of stairs? Do I need designated areas around the fort where they should be stored?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Mirthless posted:

"Oh, he's made of flame? He's just gonna put himself out in the wat-"

:stare:

:stare:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

There's an option for turning off enemies, and you can embark in calm surroundings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poemdexter posted:

How do I use cups? Just store them in a bin next to alcohol? I assume dwarves won't just pick one up and keep it forever.

Just toss a coffer in the tavern, and assign a tavernkeeper, and your dwarves will fill it with mugs themselves, while the keeper serves the patrons on his own.