Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Tarnop posted:

Brutal Brits is over 6 already and I've just snuck another director onto the team so I'm happy to let Wheatley go

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

The true horror is perhaps having to watch all that anime

The true horror is having to format that many anime teams onto a spreadsheet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think everything is updated. Nominations lock 12 noon EST Dec 14th, so roughly 36 hours from now. After that no more noms can be added or changed. I will put a vote together ASAP. Unless I'm wrong all byes are in except for two. That would be our only delay besides just my time. But if all goes well we'll start voting the 14th.

It doesn't hurt to doublecheck the spreadsheet just to make sure your noms are there and correct. Its a lot of stuff, edits are made to posts, some stuff might get lost in the mix. Now is the time to check before we start voting.

married but discreet
Franchescanado
Basebf555: Roy Ward Baker
Samfucius: The REC Dudes (Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza)
twernt: Lewton Bus (Jacques Tourneur, Robert Wise, and Mark Robson)
Scumfuck Princess: TaBOO! (Clive Barker, Carlos Atanes, J-P Valkeapää, Harry Kümel, and Jörg Buttgereit)
MacheteZombie: Kôji Shiraishi
Kangra
Tarnop: Horror Noire (William Crain, Paul Maslansky, Cliff Roquemore, Ernest R. Dickerson, Rusty Cundieff, J.D. Dillard, Nia DaCosta, Mariama Diallo, and Jordan Peele)
Berzerker: The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Amy Seimetz, and Brea Grant)
Servoret: Red Dusk (Konstantin Lopushansky and Piotr Szulkin)
HalloweeNIT: Sumptuously Stupid (Michael Rymer, David S. Goyer, Tarsem Singh, Steve Beck, Fran Rubel Kuzui, Sylvain White, and Jan de Bont)

Kangra posted:

Puberty Sucks - Vampire movies with adolescence as a theme, aka teen vampire movies that aren't Twilight.

Wolfgang Groos
Vampire Sisters [Die Vampirschwestern]
Vampire Sisters 2: Bats in the Belly [Die Vampirschwestern 2 : Fledermäuse im Bauch]
Lilly’s Bewitched Christmas
[Hexe Lilli rettet Weihnachten aka Hexe Lilli und das Weihnachtswunder aka Hexe Lillis eingesacktes Weihnachtsfest aka Hexe Lilli 3]

Jimmy Huston
My Best Friend is a Vampire (aka I Was a Teenage Vampire)
Final Exam

Mary Harron
The Moth Diaries

Michael O’ Shea
The Transfiguration

Paul Weitz
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant

We watched Final Exam. The rest of the team is clear.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh right, I forgot. I'm adding John Lee Hancock's Mr. Harringtons Phone to my Stephen King team to replace the sex pest.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Oh, losing Final Exam actually makes that team stronger thematically.

And (unrelated, I was just waiting to vet at least one film before adding it to the team) to give the team another thematically strong movie, I'm adding Aaron Lee Lopez to Puberty Sucks

Aaron Lee Lopez
Teenage Vampire
Teenage Vampire 2

I really hope Lopez improved as a director after the first film and that the sequel is not terrible.

Giving my auto-bid to Lady Thrillers as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think this is my last team. Its basically made up of some leftovers I had from prior noms or abandoned team plans. A bunch of them felt like they kind of naturally worked together so I decided that's the natural end for me. Other ideas but none of them feel strong enough to be worth clogging up the noms with. So one last time... I think...

Goat Gets Grimey (The Soska Sisters, Fede Alvarez, and Alexandra Aja)

Soska Sisters
American Mary
See No Evil 2
Dead Hooker in a Trunk
On the Edge

Fede Alvarez
Don't Breathe

Alejandre Aja
The Hills Have Eyes
Oxygen
High Tension
Piranha 3D
Mirrors
Horns

Technically that’s 11 films with 1 I could shed but (a) I’m not sure On The Edge is actually released and I’m just including it should it become available next year, (b) I’m not sure Aja is a big enough name to need to be nommed solo, and (c) its the end of the draft and I’ve pieced together a team that feels like it is a team to me to get closure so hopefully no one minds.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.

STAC Goat posted:

Around the World With Bracketology
We’ve done a solid job seeing horror from a lot of places but there’s still a lot of the map uncovered. And thanks to the google spreadsheet and Letterboxd map I can see what is uncovered and go find films to fill our holes. And I actually have a pretty solid looking team of films I’ve seen, are on my watchlist, or come recommended rather than just random films I grabbed to fill slots. So lets go around the world with Bracketology.

Alejandro Hidalgo’s The House at the End of Time and The Exorcism of God (Venezuela)
Jean Luc Herbulot’s Saloum (Senegal)
Lisa Brühlmann’s Blue My Mind (Switzerland)
Hanna Bergholm’s Hatching (Finland)
Lee Cronin’s The Hole in the Ground (Ireland)
Nico van den Brink’s Moloch (Netherlands)
Juan Diego Escobar Alzate’s Luz: The Flower of Evil (Colombia)
Demián Rugna’s Terrified (Argentina)
Abdelhamid Bouchnak’s Dachra (Tunisia)

I hate to do it again, but I believe I have Moloch on my Dutch team.

Also, I would like to nominate René Cardona as a solo director if he hasn't been nominated yet.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’m trying to do a team of Nightmare on Elm Street sequel directors that haven’t been nominated yet but first two are rather prolific and interesting in their own right so I will nominate them individually first-

Jack Sholder

Alone in the Dark
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
The Hidden
Natural Selection
Wishmaster 2
Supernova (this is a Alan Smithee situation in which Sholder took over so not sure the ruling on that)
Arachnid
12 Days of Terror

Renny Harlin

Prison
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4
Deep Blue Sea
Mindhunters
Exorcist: The Beginning
The Covenant
Devil’s Pass

And I’ll team up the last two directors in Freddy’s Nightmares (Stephen Hopkins, Rachel Talalay)

Stephen Hopkins
Dangerous Game
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5
Predator 2
The Reaping

Rachel Talalay
Freddy’s Dead
Ghost in the Machine (93)
A Babysitters Guide to Monster Hunting

And with that you now have the ability to make sure every remaining Freddy film is in this tournament!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twernt posted:

I hate to do it again, but I believe I have Moloch on my Dutch team.

So you do. Whoopsie.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

It doesn't hurt to doublecheck the spreadsheet just to make sure your noms are there and correct. Its a lot of stuff, edits are made to posts, some stuff might get lost in the mix. Now is the time to check before we start voting.

All my stuff looks correct

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Squeaking in there, I'd like to nominate Yoshihiro Nishimura

Tokyo Gore Police
Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl
Mutant Girls Squad
Helldriver
Meatball Machine Kodoku
The Profane Exhibit
Holy Mother
Welcome to Japan
Zombie TV

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And one more, loosely based on Scandinavia in general and Denmark specifically:

Dansk Buds

Eskil Vogt
The Innocents

Lars Von Trier
Antichrist
Epidemic

Johannes Nyholm
Koko-Di Koko-Da

Jonas Alexander Arnby
When Animals Dream

Ali Abbasi
Shelley

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was suggested to me by marriedbutdiscreet that to be fair we should give a bye to everyone who has submitted a nomination. I have decided (late) that that's a good idea. I'm slow to change. So that means the Council is dead and everyone gets a bye. For the couple of council members who didn't make nominations its cool, your byes still count. For Servoret who earned a bye by completing the HalloweeNIT you get TWO byes. By my count this is the list. If you made a nomination and you're not on the list let me know.

married but discreet: Abstain
REDACTED: TaBOO! (Clive Barker, Carlos Atanes, J-P Valkeapää, Harry Kümel, and Jörg Buttgereit)
Kangra: Lady Thrillers (Georges Franju, Robert Altman, Bryan Forbes, Matt Cimber, John Grissmer, and Irvin Kershner)
Tarnop: Horror Noire (William Crain, Paul Maslansky, Cliff Roquemore, Ernest R. Dickerson, Rusty Cundieff, J.D. Dillard, Nia DaCosta, Mariama Diallo, and Jordan Peele)
Berzerker: The Enemies of Horror (Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson, Amy Seimetz, and Brea Grant)
HalloweeNIT: Sumptuously Stupid (Michael Rymer, David S. Goyer, Tarsem Singh, Steve Beck, Fran Rubel Kuzui, Sylvain White, and Jan de Bont)

deety:
Darthemed:
WeaponX:
Servoret:
Moomin Dreams:
Class3KillStorm:

Sorry for the late notice on this. It might cause a slight delay to the voting. I'll be PMing everyone to let them know.

Also, Scumfuck Princess has asked to be withdrawn from the tourney for their own reasons. I respect that and just want everyone to enjoy themselves. I'm keeping their bye intact but removing Family Friendly and Silent but Deadly. Since its so late in the nomination process the only fair thing seems to be to just remove those teams entirely and make them invalid for nomination. That way there's no one just being lucky enough to add a big director to their team because they happen to have been around. We can watch A Nightmare Before Christmas any time. It sucks but I respect everyone's level of engagement.

mbd has also chosen to abstain from their bye. Since there's probably gonna be a bit of a wait to get everyone's byes in they have time to change their mind if they wish.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

deety posted:

A couple of things I was hoping to use for this one weren't available, but thankfully that didn't drop me below 6 (assuming I didn't miss something).

At The Movies

Vernon Zimmerman - Fade to Black (1980)
Mark Herrier - Popcorn (1991)
Anders Jacobsson - Evil Ed (1995)
Shinichiro Ueda - One Cut of the Dead (2017)
Adam Brooks & Matthew Kennedy - The Editor (2014)
Todd Strauss-Schulson - The Final GIrls (2015)

Jacobsson has another director credit on a horror movie called Insane (2010), but he co-directed it with someone else, so I think that means it didn’t need to go in?
This team gets my pick for my bye!

Moomin Dreams
Nov 28, 2022

deety posted:

Finally had time to finish up a team of 80s horror by female directors.

80s Ladies

Amy Holden Jones - The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Deborah Brock - Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987)
Carol Frank - Sorority House Massacre (1986)
Jackie Kong - The Being (1983); Blood Diner (1987)
Ann Turner - Celia (1989)

This gets my bye :)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I just had a second look at that 80's Ladies list, we watched Celia in the last tournament. I loved it! But it's not eligible.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Moomin Dreams and I live in China and have to VPN into the thread and her VPN isn't working right now, so I'm relaying this message on her behalf:

If the 80s Ladies team is eligible or made eligible it still gets her bye, but if for some crazy reason it doesn't she'll move her bye to her own team as a backup.

VPNs are fickle here, we may relay messages like this for each other once in a while.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ll use my bye on my 100% Found Footage team.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Wow, two byes! I’ll use my other bye on my Classic One-offs team.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Samfucius posted:

I just had a second look at that 80's Ladies list, we watched Celia in the last tournament. I loved it! But it's not eligible.

Someone pointed that out upthread and I got Celia swapped out for the technically-released-in-1990 Slumber Party Massacre 3.

Since a few of my teams got picked for byes, I'm going to use mine on this one:

Servoret posted:

Nifty Fifties

(Gene Fowler Jr., Mervyn LeRoy, Christian Nyby, John Parker, Don Siegel, Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.)

4D Man (1959)
The Bad Seed (1956)
The Blob (1958)
Dementia (1955)
I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)
I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1959)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Thing from Another World (1951)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks, deety!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Noms are done. Just waiting a bit on the last bye. I’m a little busy anyway so there’s no actually extra delay there. I’ll try and the get the vote together by tonight and hopefully we get the last pick in. Worst case we can start the vote and just make the bye retroactively. But we’ll see. Right now I’m the one holding it up but I’ll get to the computer later.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I use my straggler bye vote on the Steve's Monster Blockbusters team that Basebf555 put together.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Heyyyyy alright! A few popcorn blockbusters never hurt anybody!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s all the byes so now there’s no one to whisper about delaying this except me.

Tonight. Promise.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Heyyyyy alright! A few popcorn blockbusters never hurt anybody!

It probably woulda been fine in the actual voting, but I couldn't say no to a team that had Jaws and Jurassic Park and Duel on it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OK! Nominations are set. Notable tournament veterans not nominated? William Castle, Brian Yuzna, Don Coscarelli, Ken Russell, Paul Verhoven, David Lynch, and David Cronenberg off the top of my head. Although most of them were kind of fringe horror cases or had exhausted their pools. Yuzna and Coscarelli surprise me a bit. And I thought Cronenberg would get a bump from his new film. There’s always next year.

Here are the 16 automatic seeds who will make up the top 4 seeds of the tourney.

REDACTED: TaBOO! (Clive Barker, Carlos Atanes, J-P Valkeapää, Harry Kümel, and Jörg Buttgereit)
Kangra: Lady Thrillers (Georges Franju, Robert Altman, Bryan Forbes, Matt Cimber, John Grissmer, and Irvin Kershner)
deety: Nifty Fifties (Gene Fowler Jr., Christian Nyby, John Parker, Don Siegel, Mervyn LeRoy, and Irvin S. Yeaworth, Jr.)
Darthemed: At The Movies (Vernon Zimmerman, Mark Herrier, Anders Jacobsson, Shinichiro Ueda, Adam Brooks & Matthew Kennedy, and Todd Strauss-Schulson)
WeaponX: 100% Found Footage (Oren Peli, Bobcat Goldthwait, Joseph and Vanessa Winter, Josh Trank, Scott Glosserman, Stephen Cognetti, and Levan Gabriadze)
Servoret: Classic One-offs (Maurice Tourneur, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, Alberto Cavalcanti, Rouben Mamoulian, Victor Fleming, Albert Lewin, Thorold Dickenson, Robert Siodmak, Carl Th. Dreyer)
Moomin Dreams: 80s Ladies (Amy Holden Jones, Deborah Brock, Carol Frank, Jackie Kong, and Sally Mattison)
Class3KillStorm: Steve's Monster Blockbusters (Steven Spielberg and Stephen Sommers)

I have broken up the remaining nominees into 4 pools. Veteran, Rookie, Solo, and Team. Every nominee is in 2 pools. By my count last night its a total of 142, up slightly from last year’s 138. 91 teams to 51 solo. 56 vets to 89 rookies. 31 team vets to 26 solo vets. 62 rookie teams to 26 rookie solos.

What the odds are here I don’t know. There’s obviously more teams in the mix than solos and more rookies than vets. Since they’ll each be in 2 pools it shouldn’t shift the odds too much towards the smaller pools, but it does seem to create a bit of a handicap. Is that a good thing? More offbeat and new directors entering the mix? Or a bad thing? More hard work people put into teams being left behind? I don’t know. We’ll see. My first thoughts are I probably should have beefed up the “veteran” numbers by counting any team with a tournament veteran instead of just teams with 50% of their pool being veterans. But I didn’t want to try and make that change this late and from a quick look I don’t think it affects the numbers all that significantly. Just something to remember for next year. For this year we just will see what happens. Worst case a bunch of weird solo directors get into the first round.

You will be able to vote for up to 20 nominees in each pool. So each nominee could get 2 votes per ballot, or you could split your votes up, vote strategically, whatever. My hope is that this both makes it easier to sort through the long list of names and also makes for a more dynamic spread of votes and nominees. And hopefully doesn’t just make a big ole log jam or worse, a shortage of picks if it turns out everyone just votes for the same basic pool. We’ll see. I panicked early last year and it worked out fine so I’m gonna do my best not to this year. I did a once through on the vote. Seemed to work well for me. I think its easier to make out. Easier to pick and choose. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Vote! You can vote or change your vote until 12 noon EST Dec 26th

I think that’s all in order. Its me so I probably screwed up somewhere. But hopefully not. Have fun voting and tell your friends!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Voted, but I wanted to vote for everything. Might go back and change votes from big directors to small guys because that's the part of the tournament I like best.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Voted! I’m not even sure I voted for my own nominations. Too many good choices.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Voting now. I noticed that Knockoffs of the Living Dead is on the veterans list twice.

E: On the teams list too.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 15, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Servoret posted:

Voting now. I noticed that Knockoffs of the Living Dead is on the veterans list twice.

poo poo gently caress, I'm an idiot. I deleted the extra entry (in both pools). I'll discount votes that go for it. Anyone who has already voted can go back and make sure they used their votes. I'm sorry. I told everyone to double check so of course it was mine that was screwed up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For what its worth: Someone commenting in their ballot that the voting pools should be sorted alphabetically. I get that. In the name of transparency I'll tell you I have it set to shuffle randomly. Why? Because I feel like that takes away any potential unfairness that may come from the order. Like maybe you're more likely to vote for the ones early on? Or more likely to miss the ones in the middle? Or more likely to notice at the end or tune out? The random shuffle means its all random so I'm not putting my thumb on the scale in any way, intentionally or not.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I like that. I noticed that I tended to be choosier at the beginning and more free with votes by the end. I tried to go back and even it out, but having a random order makes the bias less impactful than, say, having the letters o through w get an easier pass.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Coming next year: Aaaaah it's Predation

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kangra posted:

This is a team that at one point was more about reacting to horrific events in war. When I first came up with it last year I wanted Zulawski, and also had Come and See on it. Elem Klimov's been kicked off, as I've since considered that film to be not fitting to the theme (not to mention its highly unethical moviemaking practices). Now, it's more about the effects of war but also telling creepy horror stories with very little actual combat (Guard Post, being an 'additional' film, is a slight exception). These are practically all ghost stories of some sort or another, with emphasis more on the horror as manifestations of the effects of war as opposed to presenting war as the horror itself. I can't really think of a good team name, though.

Echoes of War (Antti-Jussi Annila, Kristijan Milic, Kong Su-chang, Jayro Bustamante, Babak Anvari)

Antti-Jussi Annila
Sauna

Babak Anvari
Under the Shadow
Wounds
I Came By

Kristijan Milic
The Living and the Dead aka War Land (Croatian title: Živi i mrtvi)

Kong Su-chang
The Guard Post aka GP506
R-Point

Jayro Bustamante
La Llorona

Babak Anvari is possibly going to be replaced, since the additional films he's made don't fit the theme, and he's also been tapped to do the next Cloverfield film and that would unbalance the team. Annila may also have another one in pre?-production as well, but he can stay on even if it comes out.

I've also considered a schlocky warspolitation horror team, but I don't know enough about the many films that would qualify, and Tommy Wirkola (of Dead Snow fame) may have enough films to earn a nom on his own.

Somehow, despite my checking the spreadsheet twice, and thinking everything was okay, this team was left off. All my other teams are complete and okay, although I'm going to go back and look one more time because I missed this mistake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kangra posted:

Somehow, despite my checking the spreadsheet twice, and thinking everything was okay, this team was left off. All my other teams are complete and okay, although I'm going to go back and look one more time because I missed this mistake.

I'm very sorry. I've added it. I dunno if it will get the votes and I'm sorry for that. I don't know what happened. I just screwed up.

I would offer to start the vote over but I don't actually think it would change anything. I'd be telling everyone to go back and vote again. But they can already go back and vote again. So I dunno. I removed my double team and added yours. Hopefully it works out. I'm gonna switch a vote from mine to yours to help. Even if I desperately don't want to watch that team.

edit: This method also seems to work because the extra Knockoffs of the Living Dead team had 2 votes before and now it has 1 after I edited my ballot. So if the other person changes theirs it should disappear. If not I'll just discard that vote.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 15, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've updated my vote

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks for fixing that, Goat! I think there's plenty of time for voting (or re-visiting votes) so it's fine it got caught early enough on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

- The last change I’m considering is a restructuring to our schedule. We’d still be doing the giant tournament but I had a thought that it might be more fun and less of a slog if we broke the tournament into 5 conference tournaments. Basically we’d spend 6-7 weeks doing 1st-3rd rounds of Conference A and you’d see a bunch of directors/teams 2 or 3 times in 6-7 weeks. Then we’d do Conference B. Take a Spring Break. Do C and D. And then finish off with the Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen. I think this would create bit more momentum and buzz around specific teams/directors and matchups, give people starting and stopping points… I don’t know. Anyone have any thoughts?

I missed this before, I love this idea.