Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

poemdexter posted:

How do I use cups? Just store them in a bin next to alcohol? I assume dwarves won't just pick one up and keep it forever.

How do wheelbarrows and minecarts work? Do I need ramps instead of stairs? Do I need designated areas around the fort where they should be stored?

Wheelbarrows don't have any trouble with stairs thankfully, haven't quite figured out minecarts myself yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a trick to keeping game FPS from dropping even on a new fort? Is it because I always embark on a brook or river? It'll often go down to sub-20 until I pause and let it catch up.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Broken Cog posted:

First elven caravan in my new fort had one of these for sale.
Do I have to keep it fed or something? I've noticed that other carnivores like cats and dogs don't seem to eat anything.

I think she needs a job. Mayor Bearington. *Growls* *Shrugs*

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

poemdexter posted:

How do I use cups? Just store them in a bin next to alcohol? I assume dwarves won't just pick one up and keep it forever.

How do wheelbarrows and minecarts work? Do I need ramps instead of stairs? Do I need designated areas around the fort where they should be stored?

Cups only work in tavern zones. You need to place chests in the tavern zone, where the cups can be stored, and then you also need a drinks stockpile in the tavern zone, and I think you also need a tavern keeper assigned to the tavern to fill and serve the cups.

Wheelbarrows are assigned to stockpiles, when you have the settings for a stockpile open, one of the buttons is a barrel icon, you use that to set number of barrels, bins, and wheelbarrows desired at that stockpile.

I don't know about minecarts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Put that bear in your entrance yard

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nielsm posted:

Cups only work in tavern zones. You need to place chests in the tavern zone, where the cups can be stored, and then you also need a drinks stockpile in the tavern zone, and I think you also need a tavern keeper assigned to the tavern to fill and serve the cups.

Wheelbarrows are assigned to stockpiles, when you have the settings for a stockpile open, one of the buttons is a barrel icon, you use that to set number of barrels, bins, and wheelbarrows desired at that stockpile.

I don't know about minecarts.

Tavern keepers aren't needed, all they really do is make everyone super drunk. I just put the chests in the tavern with the mugs, and everyone grabs a mug, then a drink from the stockpile.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a trick to keeping game FPS from dropping even on a new fort? Is it because I always embark on a brook or river? It'll often go down to sub-20 until I pause and let it catch up.
Honestly, to me this kind of sounds like you're in "get a new CPU" territory.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

poemdexter posted:

Place a coffer in a dining hall and then craft cups, and also put an alcohol stockpile in the dining hall

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I put a food stockpile in the tavern, do I even need a dining hall?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I only use dining halls for the snobby nobles that need their own dining rooms. A tavern with a food stockpile next to it serves everyone else.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Broken Cog posted:

First elven caravan in my new fort had one of these for sale.
Do I have to keep it fed or something? I've noticed that other carnivores like cats and dogs don't seem to eat anything.

I see your bear and raise you a giant war lion.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Danaru posted:

If I put a food stockpile in the tavern, do I even need a dining hall?

i mean yeah, a tavern is just a dining hall that people can visit

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Okay sick, I was worried the game made a distinction between the two :toot:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I hope everyone is making commemorative statues about all these animal friends.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calibanibal posted:

Place a coffer in a dining hall and then craft cups, and also put an alcohol stockpile in the dining hall

wait do the stockpiles need to actually be inside the dining hall/tavern for people to get stuff from it or is it ok for it to be next to the hall

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Danaru posted:

The underground caves hit a lot of similar notes to what you want, it's not quite the same but it's great fun to explore

I also miss chasms though, they were just super cool :negative:

Alright, here's the worldgen nonsense you want to try out.

Make a new world. Do these advanced settings.

Means that rivers carve deep furrows through hills and mountains.

Means that cliffs don't get sanity checks and remain craggy and steep.

Means that the world is unusually lumpy.

Then find an embark site where a river approaches a mountain from the WEST. Choose a embark window that is half mountain, with a bit of forest on the western side so you can make beds, bins, and barrels. You'll have a mighty mountain you can dig into the face of, with a powerful river cutting a huge blade deep into the earth, and probably a pretty bonkers waterfall. And you can put a bunch of rooms open to the river chasm (which can be several Z levels deep) so your dwarves work and sleep open to the rushing rapids below, which is cool. But if you do that giant eagles can fly in so maybe not?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I saw this (giant) bird that can't sing...

Then a while later came Spos the Hollow, the forgotten beast, a blob of ash.

It had one kill to its name before arriving here. A cow, somewhere.

Then while roaming the caverns, it came across a friendly gorlak. And pushed it, and pushed it again, until the poor gorlak had become a paste against the cavern walls.

But then, Spos came upon one of the drone ant spearmen also roaming about. And was stabbed, one single time.

That was all it took to dispel the ash blob.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

IcePhoenix posted:

wait do the stockpiles need to actually be inside the dining hall/tavern for people to get stuff from it or is it ok for it to be next to the hall

I have a dining hall with a huge food stockpile across the hall that literally nobody uses and they actually seem to go out of their way not to use it, even eating in my library two floors down and a crazy full tavern with a drink stockpile inside it so maybe the stockpile has to be inside??

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the stockpile does need to be part of the tavern zone yes. but you can just go into repaint on the zone and add the stockpile to it, no need to physically move anything

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mst4k posted:

I have a dining hall with a huge food stockpile across the hall that literally nobody uses and they actually seem to go out of their way not to use it, even eating in my library two floors down and a crazy full tavern with a drink stockpile inside it so maybe the stockpile has to be inside??

I think Dwarves need to be assigned to dining halls, they're not just public eating halls.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think Dwarves need to be assigned to dining halls, they're not just public eating halls.

Rather, the only way to make a public dining hall now for everyone to use is to designate it as a tavern. You can then mark the tavern as for residents only, to keep guests out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

nielsm posted:

Then a while later came Spos the Hollow, the forgotten beast, a blob of ash.

It had one kill to its name before arriving here. A cow, somewhere.

Then while roaming the caverns, it came across a friendly gorlak. And pushed it, and pushed it again, until the poor gorlak had become a paste against the cavern walls.

But then, Spos came upon one of the drone ant spearmen also roaming about. And was stabbed, one single time.

That was all it took to dispel the ash blob.

I hope dwarf fortress combat sim is never changed to be remotely sane

e: https://twitter.com/DwarfFortBugs/status/1603104003193274370
I've experienced this one quite a bit lately

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What's a good Mineral Scarcity setting if I want to go above the default 100 like people are talking about? With a range of 100-100,000 I'm not sure where a good middleground is :v:

e: I set it to 5000 and now most embark sites only have one metal type :|

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 14, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

madmatt112 posted:

I think she needs a job. Mayor Bearington. *Growls* *Shrugs*

This was tried and it didn't go so well
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a34387528/new-hampshire-libertarian-town-bears/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jazerus posted:

the stockpile does need to be part of the tavern zone yes. but you can just go into repaint on the zone and add the stockpile to it, no need to physically move anything

I was wondering why all anyone does in my tavern is socialize :doh:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's a good Mineral Scarcity setting if I want to go above the default 100 like people are talking about? With a range of 100-100,000 I'm not sure where a good middleground is :v:

e: I set it to 5000 and now most embark sites only have one metal type :|

100 is the max and also the default.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Alright, here's the worldgen nonsense you want to try out.

Make a new world. Do these advanced settings.

Means that rivers carve deep furrows through hills and mountains.

Means that cliffs don't get sanity checks and remain craggy and steep.

Means that the world is unusually lumpy.

Then find an embark site where a river approaches a mountain from the WEST. Choose a embark window that is half mountain, with a bit of forest on the western side so you can make beds, bins, and barrels. You'll have a mighty mountain you can dig into the face of, with a powerful river cutting a huge blade deep into the earth, and probably a pretty bonkers waterfall. And you can put a bunch of rooms open to the river chasm (which can be several Z levels deep) so your dwarves work and sleep open to the rushing rapids below, which is cool. But if you do that giant eagles can fly in so maybe not?

Another trick I picked up along with these is setting the Elevation Mesh:

This will make it so that the vast majority of biomes are either (1) High Elevation or (2) low elevation, which leads to a lot more craggy cliffsides.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

yes I think so. so if you have an alcohol stockpile, a coffer/chest with cups, and a tavern keeper/performers assigned, they will fill cups with alcohol and serve them to dwarves and visitors. If you want dwarves to serve themselves, you also need to have a cup stockpile (they wont take cups from the tavern coffer)

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
There's a goblin siege approaching and this dwarven child won't stop playing make believe on the drawbridge, I don't want to do this to you kid I'm begging you just go into the burrow like everyone else and let my squads handle this.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

100 is the max and also the default.

I want to raise the number to make minerals more scarce in order to not flood myself with wealth

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Jazerus posted:

Oh man I put so much work in to my gigantic grand dining hall .. it was one of the first big things I did. I swear dining halls used to be both assigned to individuals and “for everyone else”. I’ve been wondering the entire game why nobody really used it. Thanks guys.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mst4k posted:

Oh man I put so much work in to my gigantic grand dining hall .. it was one of the first big things I did. I swear dining halls used to be both assigned to individuals and “for everyone else”. I’ve been wondering the entire game why nobody really used it. Thanks guys.

It did yes. But that was when you designated a room by flood fill from a piece of furniture. The zone-based rooms are just different, and honestly make more sense than the old way.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Where do I increase the FPS so that the game runs faster? I just realized I played for like 8 hours yesterday and barely was into year 2.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

poemdexter posted:

Where do I increase the FPS so that the game runs faster? I just realized I played for like 8 hours yesterday and barely was into year 2.

Game settings > Game frames-per-second cap.
You can also enable an FPS display there. If the simulation's too heavy it might not hit the fps cap you set.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I kind of hope that they just never add child dwarf sprites like they're planning because it's very funny to me to have 20 kids running around, half of which were born with long grey beards.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I want to raise the number to make minerals more scarce in order to not flood myself with wealth

quote:

The options "Very Rare", "Rare", "Sparse", "Frequent", and "Everywhere" in the basic world generation menu use the values 50000, 10000, 2500, 500 and 100 respectively.

I don't remember what the free version defaulted to, maybe Frequent? I would try 1000 maybe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

free version has always defaulted to sparse. it's not too rough really, you have to go below sparse to start getting the serious poverty embarks but if you just want a "normal" classic DF experience then sparse is the way to go

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh, related to making the economy less rocket fueled-I'm considering making dwarves consume more food+drink and/or making meals/alcohol less valuable in trading.
anyone know if this'd be straightforward to do?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Is your wealth determined by how much you trade or how much you bring to trader or just how much stuff you have in your fort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i have decided to leave the angry antwoman queen alone in my fort as she lives in her hole and regularly solo kills trolls and other monsters in the caves. i suspect unless she gets instantly hit into somewhere where it hurts - like when my Worst Mom of the Year dwarf militia member just absolutely demolished an ettin while holding her traumatized baby in her non-weapon hand - she's gonna take down even decently geared dwarves.

If they're immobile it is a good kinda natural defense tool. Mine was too close to my trading depot and surface entrance for that. Weird thing about Antpeople is 1v1 half the time they die like ants, the other they're unkillable death machines. When I have my squad actually all together in a cluster, not half of them loving off or sleeping or whatevs, they mow through them. If someone is killed or injured, it's usually because a weapon was grabbed from them after stabbing it (im guessing they have 4 arms, good grappling) and they were the first one there and a thousand combat things seem to happen instantly. How do combat rounds work, I'm so used to rules-based systems with very structured artificial turn sequencing I can't make heads or tails of how combat resolves. Dice rolls with a lot of body parts to pick from, is it random, is it modeling a 3d body to simulate organ placement idk.