Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

PatMarshall posted:

You guys at least like the Death of Ivan Iylich right? I feel like I'm going insane.

one of literature's great curmudgeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

one of literature's great curmudgeons

IDK, it felt kind of short and the title, ugh, spoilers anyone

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

:hmmyes:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Loll

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

blue squares posted:

While we're posting bad takes that everyone hates, here's mine: the characters in War and Peace are completely unrealistic.

I seriously don't get why this book is held up as a masterpiece with the most realistic, full-of-depth characters ever written. They fall in love at first sight, are absurdly passionate about everything, etc. Their moods and emotions are so over the top to me. They don't feel real at all.

They're not unrealistic, they're just kind of stupid and Tolstoy's really good at laying out the ways they're stupid, which is why it's so fun to read. The bit where Pierre goes to someone's house and fucks up their obsessive furniture arragement by sitting in the wrong chair is extremely funny. It's like The Sopranos.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're not unrealistic, they're just kind of stupid and Tolstoy's really good at laying out the ways they're stupid, which is why it's so fun to read. The bit where Pierre goes to someone's house and fucks up their obsessive furniture arragement by sitting in the wrong chair is extremely funny. It's like The Sopranos.

Anna Karenina is the same way. Everyone is so loving dumb and doesn't realize it. The part where Levin goes for a walk to mope and invents...blood and soil fascism is grim and really funny.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So you’re saying that when I read the part about the young Rostov in battle just gushing over how glorious the emperor is, wanting desperately to be even glanced at by him, willing to give his life for him, my reaction of “Jesus what an idiot” was the reaction Tolstoy was going for? I hated that part because it was one of the most over the top parts I can recall

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

PatMarshall posted:

You guys at least like the Death of Ivan Iylich right? I feel like I'm going insane.
Tolstoy is all about people being governed by their emotional wounds rather than their surface level thoughts, so people can have a big problem appreciating him if they aren't taking care of their real needs properly. That's like 99% of people optimistically in our world, and cerebral people often have a harder time working on something like appreciating Tolstoy more deeply. It feels childish to start engaging underdeveloped aspects of the self, and we can end up projecting that on to the object of our attention in an unexamined way.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

No one with unresolved pain has ever liked a book.

Edit: let alone written a book

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

ThePopeOfFun posted:

No one with unresolved pain has ever liked a book.

Edit: let alone written a book
Yeah i'm definitely not saying that at all, sorry if it was implied. people hurt a shitload and have weird constrictions and do amazing things constantly anyways. it's just if someone (not itt) was like tolstoy categorically sucks and everyone alive in the 19th century was a moron who just fell off the turnip truck, it might be indicative of the emotional constraints that life and capitalist society places on people than it is of the work. there's no necessary reference or judgment of an individual postmodern subject in that, and i am firmly in the camp of the postmodern subject myself

e: Sorry if this stuff has a surface meanness to it, this thread is kind of prickly and I was trying to say something that could help people appreciate art and to maybe treat themselves a little better, because I've been working on that myself. I didn't contextualize things enough.

corn haver fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 13, 2022

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Another effect of reading too much genre: the default assumption that the author is a loving moron with no idea what they're doing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

derp posted:

Another effect of reading too much genre: the default assumption that the author is a loving moron with no idea what they're doing

And who also believes the same about their readership

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

blue squares posted:

So you’re saying that when I read the part about the young Rostov in battle just gushing over how glorious the emperor is, wanting desperately to be even glanced at by him, willing to give his life for him, my reaction of “Jesus what an idiot” was the reaction Tolstoy was going for? I hated that part because it was one of the most over the top parts I can recall

Yes, Rostov is meant to be naive. He is an exemplar of his class, look at where he ends up vs. Where he starts. That's what I love about the book.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

corn haver posted:

Yeah i'm definitely not saying that at all, sorry if it was implied. people hurt a shitload and have weird constrictions and do amazing things constantly anyways. it's just if someone (not itt) was like tolstoy categorically sucks and everyone alive in the 19th century was a moron who just fell off the turnip truck, it might be indicative of the emotional constraints that life and capitalist society places on people than it is of the work. there's no necessary reference or judgment of an individual postmodern subject in that, and i am firmly in the camp of the postmodern subject myself

e: Sorry if this stuff has a surface meanness to it, this thread is kind of prickly and I was trying to say something that could help people appreciate art and to maybe treat themselves a little better, because I've been working on that myself. I didn't contextualize things enough.

No one is offended. You should keep posting. I’m rattling the cage because the first post sounded a lot like :actually: “If you dont like Tolstoy, you need therapy.”

Although the thread title implies a lack of actualization within TBB so maybe you’re dead on.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just finished The Passenger and have come to the conclusion that Cormac McCarthy is a good writer.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The Kennedy assassination stuff towards the end of The Passenger struck me as pretty funny, especially having just read Libra earlier this year. I don't think DeLillo mentioned much about ballistics or what a .30-06 does the the human head vs. whatever cheap Italian poo poo Oswald was firing. Maybe I'm misremembering.

But yeah McCarthy is great and The Passenger is good. I actually think I'm gonna end up reading Stella Maris after all. The dialogue bits have been my favorite and that book is all dialogue as far as I understand.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

:actually: “If you dont like Tolstoy, you need therapy.”

tbh, this is unironically true

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

apophenium posted:

The Kennedy assassination stuff towards the end of The Passenger struck me as pretty funny, especially having just read Libra earlier this year. I don't think DeLillo mentioned much about ballistics or what a .30-06 does the the human head vs. whatever cheap Italian poo poo Oswald was firing. Maybe I'm misremembering.

But yeah McCarthy is great and The Passenger is good. I actually think I'm gonna end up reading Stella Maris after all. The dialogue bits have been my favorite and that book is all dialogue as far as I understand.

I didn't realize Stella Maris is pretty short too, I had planned to take a break but might just jump into it sooner rather than later.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

lol

OP, I will cop to coming in pretty hot. I still don’t get what you mean, but I am also a very bad reader. I think you’re saying it’s tough to appreciate the emotional aspects of Tolstoy when one has compartmentalized out ones own emotional life. Also that some of us are forced to do this because of Capitalism. So no worries if you don’t like it.

If so, I see where you are coming from.

I personally don’t think there’s much between a reader and a book. Most of the work I have done getting folks to read lit or write anything, or even feel safe interacting some who had “writer” as a title, has to do with getting rid of their fear of Being Seen as Stupid. Usually because office grammarians, other readers and wannabe writers trying very hard to be seen as literate in public.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
War and Peace didn’t click for me until I had a lot more background in 19th century Russian history.

Tolstoy thought Austerlitz was a fuckup by venal idiots who were fighting war for all the wrong, tiny reasons while Borodino was a triumph of Russia because they transcended those petty distractions and fought a battle for a deeper, more profound reason.

After that everything else made a lot more sense and his sort of tangents towards the end were a lot less unexpected or random.

But that’s me, I was (and am) very dim.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

ThePopeOfFun posted:

lol

OP, I will cop to coming in pretty hot. I still don’t get what you mean, but I am also a very bad reader. I think you’re saying it’s tough to appreciate the emotional aspects of Tolstoy when one has compartmentalized out ones own emotional life. Also that some of us are forced to do this because of Capitalism. So no worries if you don’t like it.

If so, I see where you are coming from.

I personally don’t think there’s much between a reader and a book. Most of the work I have done getting folks to read lit or write anything, or even feel safe interacting some who had “writer” as a title, has to do with getting rid of their fear of Being Seen as Stupid. Usually because office grammarians, other readers and wannabe writers trying very hard to be seen as literate in public.
It's just that Tolstoy was very perceptive in a rare way, because he's grounded in showing off things that he's worked through personally. He had a lot of advantages in doing this due to his status, personal history, and natural ability. So reading the best of Tolstoy and really getting into the character's emotions, no matter how childish and antiquated, is an exercise in understanding other people and oneself. Tolstoy was motivated by readers increasing in that kind of understanding, and without aiming for that it's not really meeting the work head on.

People's drives are pretty simple in a lot of ways, and there's a lot of sound and fury in inward and outward behavior to hide that. Our world is vastly more complex and busy than Tolstoy's, so it's very grounding to read him with the assumption that we have burdens that are in some ways heavier than those in 19th century society. The world often looked outwardly more like a brutal open sewer back then, but oppression is part of human society, and we have gotten better at the art of stage management.

And yeah, nobody should be made to feel stupid for trying to engage with something earnestly. Art is for everyone, although people have a right to have their own spaces with certain expectations and culture.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Anyways, regarding respecting spaces and culture, i'm finally getting into henry james when before the prose was like making my eyes go in 15 different directions. i skimmed technical stuff at work all day and haven't read fiction in ages. reading habits are hard to break/reestablish

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading some of Charles Dickens other Christmas novellas for the season. Right now I'm reading The Cricket on the Hearth from 1845. It's a warm story, and I'm really enjoying Dickens's playful long-winded style. He infuses a lot of life in the clutter of the setting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

corn haver posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Are you saying we, due to living in a capitalist society, have a hard time understanding Tolstoy?

Because as far as I know, Tolstoy was always very popular in at least America. And what I know of late 19th Century America is Capitalist Hellhole to the Max.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm reading some of Charles Dickens other Christmas novellas for the season. Right now I'm reading The Cricket on the Hearth from 1845. It's a warm story, and I'm really enjoying Dickens's playful long-winded style. He infuses a lot of life in the clutter of the setting.

And on the flipside, from what I've read, a lot of critics in his own time held Dickens in contempt. but one Karl Max really liked him.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

NikkolasKing posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Are you saying we, due to living in a capitalist society, have a hard time understanding Tolstoy?

Because as far as I know, Tolstoy was always very popular in at least America. And what I know of late 19th Century America is Capitalist Hellhole to the Max.

And on the flipside, from what I've read, a lot of critics in his own time held Dickens in contempt. but one Karl Max really liked him.
I would strongly recommend the BBC's John Berger's Ways of Seeing series on youtube as a starting point of relating art to various contexts, with different levels of complexity and nuance. I saw it when I first dabbled in art stuff, and coming back to it after not really engaging with art too much due to life has surprised me by how much I missed. It's great. I barely know anything about art

Extending the method from the Marxist-Feminist influenced lens of the BBC series to how Tolstoy saw things, one has to acknowledge that we are totally blind to so much of the internal world, and willingly so because things are so complex. If someone is grieving for example, it tends to pull up way more than just the bare fact of the loss. Art appreciation can be serious work, just like therapy. If someone is really focused on taking Pierre's emotional world as the lens of a lot of War and Peace, it can look like a profoundly different book than if we took up another lens, and it's going to engage some intuitive and emotional things about our lives and the lives of the people around us, as well as our broader society.

corn haver fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 14, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

:how:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
why cant you fuckin nerds just read the book

you dont need to do ten years of research and listen to seventeen podcasts just read the book

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

derp posted:

you dont need to do ten years of research and listen to seventeen podcasts just read the book

Art appreciation is serious work, like therapy

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you cannot truly understand literature until you’ve read the entirety of greek and roman philosophy canon, plays, and every important piece of work from the epic of gilgamesh all the way up to the present. and even then you’ll need a double major in aesthetics and psychology to truly grasp the deeper meaning :smug:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

derp posted:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

Because then we'd wind up calling McCarthy a shoot-em-up Western writer like your dumb rear end

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bang! Pow! Cormac McCarthy novels aren't just for kids anymore!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i stand by my previous posts. the best artworks in literature are those in which the average reader would complain 'nothing happens.' All events are pure distraction, and only surface level. Real art can only be experienced in the internal world, where the human soul resides.

However I will amend my rather binary statements to allow the inclusion of some (very rare) cases of genre which is art. Some (as i said, very rare) genre novels focus on the interior, and have very little events or plot. One great example of a true work of art in the genre world, in which 'nothing happens' is the masterpiece Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. This wonderfully subversive book is presented as a fantasy epic, however once one begins reading, one soon realizes that it goes much deeper than simple adventure. In fact, there is rarely an 'event' or action sequence to be had. It is full of musings on music and society and the differences between the sexes, the difficulties of capitalism and thoughts of death and aging, and more. I could not tell you a single thing that "happened" in that book, but so much was said. Truly a visionary work, and one that has left other 'fantasy' novels in the dust.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

One great example of a true work of art in the genre world, in which 'nothing happens' is the masterpiece Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. This wonderfully subversive book is presented as a fantasy epic, however once one begins reading, one soon realizes that it goes much deeper than simple adventure. In fact, there is rarely an 'event' or action sequence to be had. It is full of musings on music and society and the differences between the sexes, the difficulties of capitalism and thoughts of death and aging, and more. I could not tell you a single thing that "happened" in that book, but so much was said. Truly a visionary work, and one that has left other 'fantasy' novels in the dust.

https://youtu.be/QjEcnD2MATs

mdemone fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

Bang! Pow! Cormac McCarthy novels aren't just for kids anymore!

You had me at "baby tree"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

derp posted:

i stand by my previous posts. the best artworks in literature are those in which the average reader would complain 'nothing happens.' All events are pure distraction, and only surface level. Real art can only be experienced in the internal world, where the human soul resides.

However I will amend my rather binary statements to allow the inclusion of some (very rare) cases of genre which is art. Some (as i said, very rare) genre novels focus on the interior, and have very little events or plot. One great example of a true work of art in the genre world, in which 'nothing happens' is the masterpiece Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. This wonderfully subversive book is presented as a fantasy epic, however once one begins reading, one soon realizes that it goes much deeper than simple adventure. In fact, there is rarely an 'event' or action sequence to be had. It is full of musings on music and society and the differences between the sexes, the difficulties of capitalism and thoughts of death and aging, and more. I could not tell you a single thing that "happened" in that book, but so much was said. Truly a visionary work, and one that has left other 'fantasy' novels in the dust.

you really commit to it, I gotta say

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

derp posted:

I'm making books illegal

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i liked Anna Karenina because i could picture everything that was happening, like a movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Talking about people who understand the nuance of emotion, Mishima deserves a mention. I’ve been reading the Sea of Fertility tetralogy, and have become quite impressed how different my thoughts are in the moment of reading versus how they are after I’ve had time to digest them some more.

Kiyoaki’s listlessness seemed at the start to be such a natrual extension of his character that I hadn’t considered how much of it was a defensive response to his upbringing in the Ayakura household, and the “teasing” that he endured from Satoko which was nothing more than light flirting that his own lack of self confidence couldn’t handle. He is a pitiable figure, for all the stupid poo poo he did in Spring Snow, his real crime was just not having the decisive edge of his forefathers. Kiyoaki is the Taisho era in a nutshell a brief transitory period where everything feels like it’s building to something, but neither the man nor the period could make that final leap.

Runaway Horses then picks up that building energy and prepares to unleash it in an act of pure fury. Isao and the youth in general are stuck in a bizarre world where the generations previous and fealty are supposed to be praised beyond all else, and yet when they look around they see the poor that are supposed to be protected starving in the fields, the aristocrats have either fallen in with the capitalist like Mastsugae or are utterly apathetic and useless like the Ayakura. But that view is only brought to life in Isao because of the duplicity and ugliness he sees in the adults. His father for example demands beats his mother nearly to her death, preaches loyalty to the Empire above all, but when the Prince invites Isao to talks Iinuma forbids it in a rage without even informing him of why he would. I would also assume that Isao has realized like the elder Matsugae that Iinuma has been protecting the Matsugae from criticism since just after his original article intended for Kiyoaki. His suicidal impulse seems to be as much driven by his desire to not be like his father as it is by his desire to restore the “proper” order of Japan.

I wonder what’s going to become of Honda after all this, dude always feels like he’s one toe into completely changing his world view, but his body grounded in Law and Materialism won’t let him make the leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry that I didn't read the book with a Marxist-Leninist-Femininst lens, I clearly didn't understand a word of it.