Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Last Chance posted:

yeah they make them on youtube now

you're gonna confuse their poor brain :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
An editor slicing up videos means I wouldn't get to see his little cut ins where I can see what episode of DS9 he's on.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This post is itself the equivalent of the 90-minute video on a single piece of 20-year-old tech, but this topic really has had me thinking a lot over the years. Every time I watch, like, usually an LGR or TechMoan or 8-Bit Guy video on some random obscure piece of technology that I etiher want to buy or (far more likely) just want to understand a little bit to further add context to my insane retro computer/gadget lust, I almost always think to myself "that is all?" when the video ends after, you know, 15 minutes or whatever. LGR's early Oddware episodes where he tended to go on 5/10-minute tangents on the personalities and corporate intrigues in the background of the products were some of my favorite tech videos ever, and I think in general most videos should be longer, not shorter, if they are presenting information on older topics for which context can be ascertained and properly presented.

That said, TechMoan's habit of saying "O.K. if you don't care about any of this nonsense just skip to 18:29 for the review" is also A-O.K. by me, I do not demand everyone approach their hobbies like I approached my dissertation research

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Arivia posted:

Yep, it’s got some flaws but he considers it fit for purpose and a worthwhile buy.

Which deck was this? I've been in the market for a good tape player for a few years but the one he used to recommend is impossible to get for a reasonable price now, and the few old ones I've found in second hand places around here all look like they were previously used in a cowshed.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

:science:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This post is itself the equivalent of the 90-minute video on a single piece of 20-year-old tech, but this topic really has had me thinking a lot over the years. Every time I watch, like, usually an LGR or TechMoan or 8-Bit Guy video on some random obscure piece of technology that I etiher want to buy or (far more likely) just want to understand a little bit to further add context to my insane retro computer/gadget lust, I almost always think to myself "that is all?" when the video ends after, you know, 15 minutes or whatever. LGR's early Oddware episodes where he tended to go on 5/10-minute tangents on the personalities and corporate intrigues in the background of the products were some of my favorite tech videos ever, and I think in general most videos should be longer, not shorter, if they are presenting information on older topics for which context can be ascertained and properly presented.

That said, TechMoan's habit of saying "O.K. if you don't care about any of this nonsense just skip to 18:29 for the review" is also A-O.K. by me, I do not demand everyone approach their hobbies like I approached my dissertation research

this does a great job of explaining my real viewpoints on poo poo. kim justice and poo poo like that are great bc i loooove the history of a computer from the people AND computer aspect. i dont care about the detailed tech specs necessarily, but how Karen Snowmeister figured out if you cut the bus size in half during BIOS load time it would decrease manufacturing costs? gently caress. yesss....

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Creature posted:

Which deck was this? I've been in the market for a good tape player for a few years but the one he used to recommend is impossible to get for a reasonable price now, and the few old ones I've found in second hand places around here all look like they were previously used in a cowshed.

https://youtu.be/WleZGWAebsY

It’s not great but it’s the best out there and it’s alright for purpose. I expect he’d be a lot harder on something for home instead of portable use, which is also likely what you’re looking for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I got laid out by ‘rona the other week and caught up on like a year’s worth of our favorite gun loving dingus, 8BitGuy, all more or less in one go.

His whole solar shed saga was deeply interesting.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like the Apple DOS compatibility cards
Remember to use the correct theme

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Virtual PC?

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Powered Descent posted:

Long videos that are mostly narration (like CRD, Technology Connections, etc.) pair very well with the speed control in the Youtube player. Most people talk slowly enough that they're perfectly understandable at double speed. :sanix:

Just be warned: for the first few minutes after watching something at 2x, normal-speed speech will sound so drat slow.

Take this warning seriously I got into the habit of watching vids at double speed and now I can't stand watching anything at normal speed anymore.

:sickos:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I listen to podcasts at like 1.7x but videos will always be 1x for me, no exceptions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the z̵̛̫̤͓͈̞͈͓̫̮͈̝̐̍̈́͂̇̍͗̔͝͝a̴̡̽̅̍̀͐̈́͋̈͂̕͝͠ļ̵̪̻̱̘̌̌̌̑̓͠ḡ̸̯̪̲͛̍͘͠ǒ̶̡̝̬̺̘͔͎̯̞͓͍̮̳̆̌́̿̈́͆̾̏͗͐̅̕͠͝ ̶̧̡̢̫̹̭͍̗̲̉̀̕͝͠m̸̹̄̀̏͑̀͂̅͂̆̅͝à̵̼̫̠͓̈́͌̐̆̓̏̈́͠͝c̸̘̋̀̀

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The apple dos cards ruled, such a non-apple solution, all things considered

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

As others have surmised, its the apple dos compatability card (houdini 2) - a 486 and a mini Soundblaster on a pds card.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't get the appeal, personally.
It's not like a crazy new thing to do and it's several decades too late to stick it to the evil fruit empire.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would anyone want to tinker around with any of these old computers, truly a mystery

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why would anyone want to tinker around with any of these old computers, truly a mystery

the thing I remember most about working with old computers is the hellishly long load times and constant crashing. nothing about that appeals to me today.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You missed the golden age of computing, if you turn on your BBC Microcomputer or Commodore 64 it boots in roughly 1 second.

I mostly use my old macs to stare at After Dark screensaver modules and remembering the better times :unsmith:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'm primarily an Amiga fan these days. I had it as a kid, but it was mostly just a game machine. It's been fun learning how advanced the OS was.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but then you have to wait about 400 years for your C64 game to load from the tape

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I'm primarily an Amiga fan these days. I had it as a kid, but it was mostly just a game machine. It's been fun learning how advanced the OS was.

It's fun to think about how short the heyday of these systems were as an adult. I had the same I5-3570K system 2012-2019, which was about two years longer than the Amiga's commercial relevance. Or the C-64's, for that matter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Same case as the Centris 610 I had in college. Absolutely loved that machine.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yeah but then you have to wait about 400 years for your C64 game to load from the tape

Or 397 years for your C64 game to load from disk, because Commodore somehow managed to make those slow as poo poo too

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

By popular demand posted:

I don't get the appeal, personally.
It's not like a crazy new thing to do and it's several decades too late to stick it to the evil fruit empire.

Its an easier way to run both classic mac and old DOS games/software in a limited space. Bolo AND Starcon 2, all on one desk? Sold.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

God I miss cigarettes

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I can only imagine trying to quit smoking when everything has a lighter and/or ash tray built in.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

this loving owns

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should add a lighter to the iPhone

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Arc lighters that charge over USB are pretty common, it probably wouldn't be hard to integrate one into a phone case. Add a nail file just for the hell of it too.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Welcome to the future.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

cool when you use that to light a bowl and melt the camera lens

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

boar guy posted:

cool when you use that to light a bowl and melt the camera lens

that's not my camera lense

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steve! No!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

that's not my camera lense

that's not my beautiful wife

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Waifu Radia posted:

this does a great job of explaining my real viewpoints on poo poo. kim justice and poo poo like that are great bc i loooove the history of a computer from the people AND computer aspect. i dont care about the detailed tech specs necessarily, but how Karen Snowmeister figured out if you cut the bus size in half during BIOS load time it would decrease manufacturing costs? gently caress. yesss....
Oh absolutely, that is exactly right, hell yeah

It just feels like a missed opportunity every time someone makes a short video on something I have been wondering about in the back of my mind for decades. Not to disparage the real work that goes into making a video of even decent length, but like a cool moment in a conversation that passes and you wish the conversation would go back to that, I would rather have another like 60 minutes of 8-Bit Guy Commodore content than learn the minutiae of how he hosed up his solar panel installation

Warbird posted:

His whole solar shed saga was deeply interesting.
I just could not get over how he would rather have his setup be objectively underpowered for his goals than have a tiny bit hanging over the edge where he initially planned it to be

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Clearly, the answer to my question:

Trabant posted:

am I the only one thinking he could use an outside editor?

is a resounding "Yes, you are!" :v:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

CRD mentioned something about this recently that I hadn't heard before: I've personally never seen a C64 hooked up to a Datasette, but he was saying that basically everyone in Europe with a C64 was loading stuff from tape, while over 90% of C64 installs in North America had a disk drive.

Before we upgraded to the C64, my family did have a VIC-20 with the Datasette though.. My father bought stacks of pirated tapes from a coworker.

Not sure what that operation was exactly but the tapes all had professional labels and colour inserts - the giveaway was that our Shamus tape for example used the artwork from the 2600 port of Berserk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder if that has anything to do with how people were swapping software. In Europe, they had people that would blast out software on pirate radio stations. Set your radio to record onto a tape, someone broadcasts a bunch of noise, and then you have a new game.