Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure automatic updates are staggered and scheduled for at night - I never go in and manually update my apps, but there's always a couple dozen updates sitting in the app store to update, but the queue never gets bigger than that if I ignore it and don't manually trigger them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

App updates I never have a problem with.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m sure the feature works but I’m already hardwired to go into the AppStore every hour and check for updates :negative:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Auto update works great actually.

If you use an app frequently it will like 99% of the time update it automatically. If you rarely use the app it pushes it out to some whatever date.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
For the third day in a row Sleep Focus has turned itself off at 3am, waking me up when some random spam text or email comes in.
This is seriously pissing me off, it's difficult enough for me to sleep.
Sleep focus is NOT scheduled, I manually activate it via Siri once I'm in bed. I only use it so the always on display turns itself off at night so I don't have to constantly go into settings to toggle it.
This is driving me up the drat wall.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Auto updates usually work for me eventually although sometimes that eventuality is like a week later. Some of this is my fault for sure since I am still awake most nights between 2-4.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I thought I read somewhere that automatic iOS updates wait X weeks after release before it will possibly update. And even then I thought it was done in waves across multiple weeks to avoid 6 billion phones from all updating at the same time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dynamic island live events

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I thought I read somewhere that automatic iOS updates wait X weeks after release before it will possibly update. And even then I thought it was done in waves across multiple weeks to avoid 6 billion phones from all updating at the same time.

It sometimes waits a few days but I’ve always gotten an update within a week of release, nearly always the day of or day after.

It definitely does not wait multiple weeks

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Zero One posted:

Does this only work on the Plus? Doesn’t seem like it would fit on the “normal” sized screen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Regarding auto app updates, it’s hard to tell if it even works because the apps have a new update seemingly every two or three days now. Any day you decide to manually check, there will inevitably be some updates.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I think my biggest worry with third party app stores is every major company is going to want to have their own app store and have much looser permissions through those stores, hopefully apple finds a way to curb that. And then also a huge concern is fragmented stores and companies paying exclusives to be only in their store. So you know Epic is going to have a store and they'll probably want to buy some indie games to exclusively be in their store, same with Netflix, and Meta etc...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

On this topic, it isn’t make it break, but I gotta give it to apple: Dynamic Island is a (terrible name) really well deployed concept.

Even before apps started supporting it or whatever , it just works better for notifications alone, and while I don’t mind the notch at all, it’s a good upgrade from it.

It def isn’t “you must but a 14 pro to get this no matter what” feature. But man, it’s pretty nice.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Toe Rag posted:

Does this only work on the Plus? Doesn’t seem like it would fit on the “normal” sized screen.

I don't have a Plus.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Disappointing Pie posted:

I think my biggest worry with third party app stores is every major company is going to want to have their own app store and have much looser permissions through those stores, hopefully apple finds a way to curb that. And then also a huge concern is fragmented stores and companies paying exclusives to be only in their store. So you know Epic is going to have a store and they'll probably want to buy some indie games to exclusively be in their store, same with Netflix, and Meta etc...

Anyone can have a store on Android and the only big ones I can think of are Amazon which only still exists because of their hardware, Epic because they didn't wanna pay any fees to Google and they have literally the biggest video game in existence, and the open source one cause open source.

Netflix, and everything else is still on the play store. Very few people actually use third party stores even though it's as simple as installing another app. I expect it to be the same here.

I could see meta moving to their own cause they are hobbled by the privacy settings on ios but I don't foresee every company opening their own app store just because they can.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I think meta is at least smart enough to realise that pulling their apps from the Apple Store is not going to work well for them. If they do set up their own store it’s more likely that they’ll keep their existing apps in Apple’s store but limit some features in that version, with a fully featured version in their own App Store. Ultimately I think it’s going to end up being much more trouble than it’s worth

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'd like to see the policy that if it's listed in the App Store, it has to have feature-parity with the sideload version.
Maybe there's too many edge cases for this to work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'll be surprised if we are still using dynamic island like 4 years from now but it's pretty cool now for sure.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How the hell do I get the sports live activity to work in 16.2? I'm following the Rangers in the TV App, my iPhone knows I follow the Rangers because I get the "Coming Up - NY Rangers game" notification from the TV app, but no Live Scores Activity.

Does it not work for the NHL yet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
In my experience, ios widgets are really lovely at updating in anything approaching a timely fashion.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

How the hell do I get the sports live activity to work in 16.2? I'm following the Rangers in the TV App, my iPhone knows I follow the Rangers because I get the "Coming Up - NY Rangers game" notification from the TV app, but no Live Scores Activity.

Does it not work for the NHL yet?

I don't think the NHL works yet. I've only been able to try it on the NBA and WC.

There is a "Follow" button next to the Watch button if it works for live events.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rick posted:

I'll be surprised if we are still using dynamic island like 4 years from now but it's pretty cool now for sure.

It definitely smells like the new 3D Touch, perhaps even worse since it's gated to iPhones Pro.

VVV you didn't really miss much considering that the feature was only released this week, after all the games (but one) had been finished.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 16, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat I have a 14 Pro and would’ve used a WC app that supported the island if I’d been smart and thought about it. The one I use doesn’t have it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

It definitely smells like the new 3D Touch, perhaps even worse since it's gated to iPhones Pro.

VVV you didn't really miss much considering that the feature was only released this week, after all the games (but one) had been finished.

Eh, they're going to need to put the camera and Face ID stuff somewhere and the under display solution is kinda not great.

I suspect Dynamic Island is going to be around a while.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apple also likes anything that makes their phones instantly stand out from Android phones. First it was the single circular home button, then the notch, and now the Dynamic Island is the next iteration of that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If apple didn’t come out with new design language every once in a while how would Huawei and Xiaomi and all the other poo poo tier android OEMs know how to design their phones?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Still waiting for the big reveal that camera warts are actually the result of a bet about the ugliest, stupidest feature they could get the rest of the industry to go along with

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Dang, advanced data protection is not loving around. It won't let you turn it on until all apple devices on your account are updated to the latest OS. It also generates a really long recovery key.. which is fine, but it's odd to me there's no method to choose my own key.

I was a bit surprised there was no way to print or save the key to a PDF which is what most services do. Did they want me to get a piece of paper or something?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Lord Bude posted:

If apple didn’t come out with new design language every once in a while how would Huawei and Xiaomi and all the other poo poo tier android OEMs know how to design their phones?

Sometimes they copy Samsung, now that Samsung has stopped copying Apple

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dynamic Island is going to last at least 3 years, maybe 4-5 years or even longer, depending on how and when they introduce it to non-Pro iPhone models once the part gets cheaper down the road or whatever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

smackfu posted:

I was a bit surprised there was no way to print or save the key to a PDF which is what most services do. Did they want me to get a piece of paper or something?

Yeah.

I was able to screen shot it and then use the OCR feature in photos to copy the text.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Still don’t understand why the dynamic island can’t exist around the notch outside of “we want people to buy a new Pro”

Also not quite sure why an app is needed for Lock Screen info for fairly generalised things like sports scores that Siri has access to.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because there's other stuff there OP.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Between my HomeKit stuff constantly asking permission to run automations when I enter or exit what was supposed to be a geofence, the battery widget constantly taking over my Smart Stack whenever I listen to one AirPods (as I often do), my recently played tiles being limited to podcasts (in the control center when connecting to headphones), and whatever that fourth weird behavior change was, iOS 16 has been constantly adding more and more minor headaches to my poor user experience.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Between my HomeKit stuff constantly asking permission to run automations when I enter or exit what was supposed to be a geofence, the battery widget constantly taking over my Smart Stack whenever I listen to one AirPods (as I often do), my recently played tiles being limited to podcasts (in the control center when connecting to headphones), and whatever that fourth weird behavior change was, iOS 16 has been constantly adding more and more minor headaches to my poor user experience.

Is your homekit automation attempting to unlock something? It's a pain in the rear end, but as far as I know, homekit won't let you automate unlocking without asking for permission. You'll have to use the device's app to set up auto-unlock, or there's a silly workaround using another homekit device

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Corb3t posted:

Is your homekit automation attempting to unlock something? It's a pain in the rear end, but as far as I know, homekit won't let you automate unlocking without asking for permission. You'll have to use the device's app to set up auto-unlock, or there's a silly workaround using another homekit device

Yeah, I have an August lock. That's fuckin' stupid. What's the point of an automation if it doesn't automate? It used to do it without prompting. Rabble rabble.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know some locks let you use automation to lock but not unlock, because you can imagine the fallout if there was an exploit discovered. It's annoying I'm sure, but you have to be overly cautious with this stuff.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m mad I spent half an hour setting up arrive/leave and on-message notifications for shortcuts because they just pop up a notification to run, which I might notice 2 hours later. What’s the point. If it’s the stalkers just delete the non-automation automation functionality. Just want to turn on lights when I get home and put cats on the TV., and message my housemate if they need anything when I get to the grocery store

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know some locks let you use automation to lock but not unlock, because you can imagine the fallout if there was an exploit discovered. It's annoying I'm sure, but you have to be overly cautious with this stuff.

Wasn’t there some case of a person yelling “hey siri, unlock the front door” through a mail slot or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Yeah, I have an August lock. That's fuckin' stupid. What's the point of an automation if it doesn't automate? It used to do it without prompting. Rabble rabble.

It's for "security devices." It makes way more sense for a garage door. Apple doesn't want their ATV or Homepod to crush the neighbor's kid when you're a quarter-mile down the road. I get it for garage doors, but for locks, I agree, it's really stupid.