Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Rising of the lights"? E: Oh okay "lights" just meant "lungs" back then, cool.

"Planet"??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im the one guy with canker sores

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BioEnchanted posted:

I know you are joking, but I'm guessing overlaid from the context is basically died of neglect, where overlaid basically means laid in one position for too long and developed bedsores before starving to death because their nurse failed them?

When reading these, treat the "and" as an "or". It's "overlaid, or starved at nurse". Two different conditions.

Vib Rib posted:

"Planet"??

Majora's Mask was based on real events.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Vib Rib posted:

"Rising of the lights"?
"Planet"??

'Lights' is an old word for lungs. It's a lung or throat problem that stopped breathing.
'Planet' is roughly 'gently caress if we know', blaming astrology because was nothing obvious on Earth to cause it. Quite possibly massive stroke or sudden heart attack, something that came out of nowhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

"#DiedSuddendly" and "#DiedSuddently" is trending. :lol:

At least one person historically also died of Suddenly.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

As far as I can tell he was with the Burnham Institute until 2009 and then moved to central south university in china where he didn't publish anything until 2017. Dude exists he just never updated any of his info on any sites.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BioEnchanted posted:

I know you are joking, but I'm guessing overlaid from the context is basically died of neglect, where overlaid basically means laid in one position for too long and developed bedsores before starving to death because their nurse failed them?

Jokes on you, I ALSO lay in one position far too long and starve because my partner nurse neglects me. :colbert:

OwlFancier posted:

Ha, yeah, I just thought it was a funny coincidence it got brought up in this thread at the same time these anti-vaxxers are blowing up Twitter again.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Excuse me, doctor, I got teeth?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's especially hilarious because in the dark ages when the bubonic plague was sweeping the continent, we were DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT that we knew to do. We were social distancing like crazy, preventing contamination however we could, we just didn't have a good enough handle on what was causing it to fight back. I visited a village recently in England that historically completely shut down because everyone was locking themselves at home and hoping they'd survive, and nearby villages came by to drop off food and supplies for the community because they weren't allowed to leave their homes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BioEnchanted posted:

"Overlaid" is specifically "baby was sleeping with an adult in bed, adult rolled over, sorry baby." Some of these would have been what we now call SIDS.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Here's the entire list:

drat I can't decide if I want to name my new album "Dead in the street, and starved" or "Kil'd by several accidents"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Here's the entire list:

Does "King's Evil" refer to anything particular, or does that just literally mean "murdered by the King" because the latter doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

That probably just means they had a heart attack or brain aneurysm some other condition that killed them immediately but without any obvious outward symptoms.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That's like, double cancer then.

I'm "cancer, and wolf"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

Does "King's Evil" refer to anything particular, or does that just literally mean "murdered by the King" because the latter doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Encyclopedia Britannica posted:

king’s evil, scrofula (q.v.), or struma, a tuberculous swelling of the lymph glands, once popularly supposed to be curable by the touch of royalty. The custom of touching was first adopted in England by Edward the Confessor and in France by Philip I. In England the practice was attended with great ceremony; and from the time of Henry VII sufferers were presented with especially touched coins to be worn as amulets or charms. The custom reached its zenith during the Restoration: Charles II is said to have touched more than 90,000 victims between 1660 and 1682. The last royal healer in England was Queen Anne, who touched 200 victims in 1712. In France the ceremony persisted for another century and was even briefly revived by Charles X between 1824 and 1830.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's very misguided, but it's kind of sweet that royals were willing to do something like that given they had no idea if the issue was contagious or not. They thought they could do something to help, so they did even if it was completely useless.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gervasius posted:

I'm "cancer, and wolf"
When this came up another time someone speculated or maybe knew that wolf means lupus in this context.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

christmas boots posted:

It's scrofula (believed to be healed by a king's touch).

Scrofula went into remission basically at random so it's easy to take credit for making better with a ritual.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flipperwaldt posted:

When this came up another time someone speculated or maybe knew that wolf means lupus in this context.

Nothing to do with lupus, it actually means a specific subset of cancer:

Pierre Dionis, 1707 posted:

[Cancer] sometimes assumes different names; when it comes on the Legs, 'tis called the Wolf, because if left to itself, 'twill not quit them 'till it has devoured them

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Here's the entire list:

Sciatica? The left-rear end pain one gets from sitting too much?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'll blame the other guy in the other thread for being wrong!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Serperoth posted:

Sciatica? The left-rear end pain one gets from sitting too much?

Sciatica is a symptom and not a disease, and can be caused by tumours, damage to the back, or infection. Seeing it kill, but very rarely, seems about right.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Prism posted:

Sciatica is a symptom and not a disease, and can be caused by tumours, damage to the back, or infection. Seeing it kill, but very rarely, seems about right.

Yeah, basically what happened was some perisher died of something that caused them hip pain as the primary symptom. Tumor? Infection? Dunno, they didn't bother with autopsies much in 1632. That person might even have just died in their sleep but complained about sciatica the night before so the coroner (or whoever recorded the death for official records, I'm not up on 17th century postmortem procedure) used that as the cause of death because, y'know, correlation means causation, right?

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Dec 14, 2022

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah, basically what happened was some perisher died of something that caused them hip pain as the primary symptom. Tumor? Infection? Dunno, they didn't bother with autopsies much in 1632. That person might even have just died in their sleep but complained about sciatica the night before so the coroner (or whoever recorded the death for official records, I'm not up on 17th century postmortem procedure) used that as the cause of death because, y'know, correlation means causation, right?

Reminds me of an early covid vaccine study, where two of the participants died. One was hit by a car, but they still had to mention it.

That makes sense, I always thought it was the sitting thing, but it being the symptom is more reasonable than One Weird Thing

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Good odds it was the clergy if the person was not wealthy. Seems especially likely in this situation given the 'Christened' count just visible at the bottom.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/GematriaGlenn/status/1603058502075023360
https://twitter.com/GematriaGlenn/status/1603121884790415360?cxt=HHwWgICzqYm3t78sAAAA

Oh boy, this is a thread!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I really love when the numerologically-inclined arbitrarily add or remove names to get the total they want. And then they probably sit back and cover their mouth in shock, eyes wide. It's so OBVIOUS now!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OwlFancier posted:

Holy gently caress 113 people died of teeth. All hail the great Fluoride, savior of mankind.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Holy gently caress 113 people died of teeth. All hail the great Fluoride, savior of mankind.

Teeth was the name of a particularly ravenous cat. It was very cute though so no one was prepared to stop it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

internet induced schizophrenia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Regrettably, "teeth" is in the same category as "infants" and "chrisomes" in referring to a stage of juvenile development. infant mortality was so high that they didn't list specific reasons, only the ages of the children who died.

But the eight people who died of farting you can at least have a little chuckle at.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

christmas boots posted:

Adventurer, gathering up weapons and supplies: "King's evil"
Bystander: "What?"
Adventurer: "King's evil. Castle's haunted."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Strangely, not the most unhinged Glenn G on twitter.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Vib Rib posted:

"Planet"??

Ahmed Angel was involved

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TinTower posted:

Strangely, not the most unhinged Glenn G on twitter.

got a chuckle from me

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Brawnfire posted:

I really love when the numerologically-inclined arbitrarily add or remove names to get the total they want. And then they probably sit back and cover their mouth in shock, eyes wide. It's so OBVIOUS now!

That’s what’s makes numerology seem so profound to the very stupid. Numbers exist everywhere and in everything. If you have numbers you’re looking for it is trivial to find them wherever you look so long as you can assign a significance to the various things and phenomena that provide the numbers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately many people do not think of pareidolia as a flaw.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Alright, here's the final one before I hop off "brainworms Twitter" for the day (spoilered for...uh..."cleavage"):

https://twitter.com/Voice_OfReality/status/1602867027835748352

:confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Agents are GO! posted:

It looks like a selection of weapons from New Vegas.

Power ranking (increasing):

Semiauto

Long revolver

Short revolver

Blunderbuss

Squirt gun

Serperoth posted:

Reminds me of an early covid vaccine study, where two of the participants died. One was hit by a car, but they still had to mention it.

That makes sense, I always thought it was the sitting thing, but it being the symptom is more reasonable than One Weird Thing

A participant in Moderna’s initial trial was struck by lightning.

quote:

As of December 6, 2020, there were 3 SAEs reported in the vaccine group: a 65-year-old participant with community acquired pneumonia 25 days after vaccination, a 72-year-old participant with arrhythmia after being struck by lightning 28 days after vaccination, and an 87- year-old participant with worsening of chronic bradycardia 45 days after vaccination. On FDA review of the narratives, none of these SAEs are assessed as related. There were no cases of severe COVID-19 reported in the study.

page fifty‐four

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Regrettably, "teeth" is in the same category as "infants" and "chrisomes" in referring to a stage of juvenile development. infant mortality was so high that they didn't list specific reasons, only the ages of the children who died.

But the eight people who died of farting you can at least have a little chuckle at.

So that's why there's one that says "pubes".