Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Oh the entire idea to not close down shop but then try to force PTOs was the managements. HR are just the tools executing that idea.

From what I have gathered, over here it's not possible to force employees into PTO unless the entire company shuts down for that time or a similar important reason. Management mistakes are according to court cases not an important reason.

Happy Litterbox fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Happy Litterbox posted:

Things that piss me off: Our management.

This company has always been closed between christmas and the first january week and you were forced to spend your PTO. Last week this has been cancled thus I cancled my not very exciting vacation plans. Now this week HR comes around and wants a written statement what I'm doing at work during that week or want me to take PTO.

No and no. I'm not taking PTO if my plans are cancled and you are not getting a plan out of me on what I'm supposed to do that week. What are you gonna do? Fire me?
I'll do it for you:

Happy Litterbox's week plan posted:

Monday 26th: calculating number of hours wasted by cancelling vacation plans after notice of change to standing company policy given two weeks ahead of go-live date.
Tuesday 27th: spinning on chair.
Wednesday 28th: calculating number of hours wasted drawing up written statement of work for week ending 30 December.
Thursday 29th: billing company for wasted hours.
Friday 30th: awaiting argument with HR, who have probably hosed off for the week.

Solid odds they'll never check.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My company has, for the last 20 years, closed down the week between Christmas and New Year's Day

This year, they decided not to do that. They said it was because the closure was too disruptive to our sales teams, which makes no sense because we sell to businesses, which are largely not online that week.

So they traded our contiguous days off for random extra holidays throughout the year. Which has proven even more disruptive as different regions get different sets of holidays.

Also, basically everyone took their PTO for that week.

Me? I took next week off instead. I'm working the four days between Christmas and New Year's, sure...but I expect to have absolutely nothing to do. I'll probably catch up on Reservation Dogs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always work the last couple weeks of December and I even get an extra bonus for doing so. Even though I'm basically doing nothing for a week.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Me? I took next week off instead. I'm working the four days between Christmas and New Year's, sure...but I expect to have absolutely nothing to do. I'll probably catch up on Reservation Dogs.

December is basically a wash for my employment too in terms of getting work done, especially since my job now relies on other people doing work, and most everyone is taking time off because they did a poo poo job of taking time off earlier in the year

so I took next week off, and then the last week it's just working from home and try to do work but probably will end up playing videogames or something tbqh. I would like to do work...but see previous paragraph.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's exactly my problem. I'm a program manager. I manage programs full of projects full of people who...aren't here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We should just shut down the entire country from Thanksgiving to New Years. No one is fooling anyone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We are open on the three working days between Christmas and New Year but I WFH anyway so I never bother booking it off regardless of what's going on, I can be guaranteed to not have to do anything so it seems like a waste of PTO to book it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Christmas week is my gently caress around on personal projects week. I never take that time off because it's the only time of the year where no one will bother me for any reason and no one has any expectations for performance, just restart stuff if it crashes.

(and personal projects are almost never work related in this case)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As someone who works at a place where they don't really consider technology, ever, even when they should, explaining that all the third parties we rely on are generally not available the last two weeks of the year has been hard and is something that never sinks in. Not to mention that, I, am not available at least one of those weeks.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The words “citizen developers.” PowerApps/PowerAutomate should not exist.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

worldwide more important business logic exists in excel sheets created by janice in accounting than any erp

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

powerapps/powerautomate/logicapps et al are all just attempts to bring that into a service that can be managed

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

enabling end users to do their own work in a way that doesnt require jumping through hoops or trying to find work arounds is a net good

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

The Fool posted:

MS Access is the best thing to happen to data

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

enabling users with to do work with guardrails to make following best practice easier is literally our jobs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't be a gatekeeper

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

be a guide

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am going to combo breaker you so hard.

I agree with you, though. Moving those things to a managed service is way better than Access or Excel stuff that never receives updates.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

the best part of having that crap in managed services is that theyre audited so i can have evidence of the stupid users' stupidity instead of getting "oh the formula worked last week i dunno why it isn't working now nobody touched it :downs: "

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

don't be a gatekeeper

These are my gates to keep and I’m not letting anyone past them come hell or high water (except Kathy who brings the good cookies)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

enabling end users to do their own work in a way that doesnt require jumping through hoops or trying to find work arounds is a net good

My $lastJob gave me full access to the Power Platform and I was able to create some useful/neat stuff. $CurrentJob has that poo poo locked down and I can't have any fun. :mad:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I agree that it's good to let people do their own thing to get the work done.

It's bad when that thing comes back to me because it's a computer thing and nobody else understands how it works but it's also a business-critical access database that requires Access 2003 and macros or poo poo.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

A year or two ago, I wrote an API that would be interfaced with a RPG program running on an AS/400. I made sure to have error messaging for any error case. Unfortunately, the RPG programmer didn't take that into account, so if the process failed, a vague email is sent. Even dumping the raw json, my process returns if there's an error would be better. Luckily it only failed twice so far, but since I have to figure out what went wrong I wish the other programmer put more effort in.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 15, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Going to have to tap the DNS Sign tonight. Had this weird problem with a subdomain that is used for marketing things. It gets delegated to another company's name servers.
We've been expanding it some other divisions, and it hasn't been working for a few of them. Went through everything, called support on the company that manages the software, all looks good. But doesn't work.
While poking at it today using a online dig tool, I noticed that at times, I'd just not get a response back. Isolate to a specific name server, and it turns out that during the migration to this new product, they put in the wrong IP. So when ns1.fart.boner is query'd, instead of a nice external IP address, they get an internal one.
Looking further, it turns out when it does work, its when the service actually queries the old DNS servers that have been left on.
Not happy that the people handling the migration didn't catch that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pre:
It has been  days since the last DNS failure

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Also seems like some stub zones aren't working either. Thank you management for deciding this product for us.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a funny incident where the DNS proxy in a SonicWall was doing the undocumented behaviour of returning a CNAME result to a client for the first request, and then for every request after that from any client until the TTL expired it was flattening the CNAME into an A record and breaking Kerberos.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The more I deal with DNS the more I really don't want to.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DNS should be 1 a record to 1 ip address and anything else is heresy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Fool posted:

Load Balancer would like to know your location

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

The internet could not function this way lmao.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

good

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
dns shouldn't exist at all. just keep all important IPs in a text file.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IPs? You should simply list the hardware address of the computer you are trying to connect to along with the hardware addresses of every hop along the way so they know how to get there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hardcode everything to query for google's I'm feeling lucky result.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Weaponized Autism posted:

dns shouldn't exist at all. just keep all important IPs in a text file.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_J._Feinler

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I think we can all agree DNS has made us weak. We need to go back to an era where we meet the local neighborhood nerd, give them $5, and dial in to to their BBS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have one big broadcast domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Nothing like support going dead silent when you report your issue.