Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've just seen that the game is on sale on Steam in various flavours and price points, but I'm a bit leery of paying for everything if I'm not sure it's my cup of tea (I've played a boat load of 1404). Is the base game worth playing, and/or are there certain DLC which make it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've just seen that the game is on sale on Steam in various flavours and price points, but I'm a bit leery of paying for everything if I'm not sure it's my cup of tea (I've played a boat load of 1404). Is the base game worth playing, and/or are there certain DLC which make it better?

the base game is great and you can pick and choose which DLC you want. it goes on sale as a package fairly often, in my experience people end up wanting the whole thing

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Base game worth it.

All the non-cosmetic item packs are worth it, though the result can be more than a bit bloated especially if you haven't played the previous stuff as it came out.

Cosmetics are nice if you like to beauty build.

Don't fret too hard if you can't buy everything: now that it is (back) on Steam (I'm assuming Ubisoft's deal with Epic kept it delisted on Steam as long as the game was in active, major development) it's going to be on regular sales. Also you're going to have to deal with the Ubisoft launcher either way.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Base game worth it.

All the non-cosmetic item packs are worth it, though the result can be more than a bit bloated especially if you haven't played the previous stuff as it came out.

Cosmetics are nice if you like to beauty build.

Don't fret too hard if you can't buy everything: now that it is (back) on Steam (I'm assuming Ubisoft's deal with Epic kept it delisted on Steam as long as the game was in active, major development) it's going to be on regular sales. Also you're going to have to deal with the Ubisoft launcher either way.

If I have the base game on uplay, can I buy the DLC on Steam?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Highly recommend the Enbesan Envoy added in this dlc. He replaces New World inputs for some Artista needs with Enbesan inputs (beeswax instead of coconut oil for perfume, for example), but then he also boosts productivity and gives 1 extra good every 2 cycles. Even more nuts he can be used on the input buildings for the same effect, so my ten or so apiaries are making 58 tons a minute with just him and a seed drill, no tractors.

Oh and you can just buy him from Isabel too!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

papasyhotcakes posted:

Doubt it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

papasyhotcakes posted:

No because you don't own the base game on steam. Just buy them on uPlay (or rebuy the base game I guess).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I really like having the game on Steam.
I got it way before release, so I always had it. But the full edition is pretty drat cheap now as a complete set, the base game's price is a small bit of that. I'd buy it if you want all DLC anyway.
After you buy it, it does work with your old Ubi account just fine.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I kinda want to start a new game once the DLC is finished this season. Yall know if there's any way to just outright skip the Enbesa/Arctic questlines and unlock gas mines/scholars? Would prefer not to spend time on those yet again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eschatos posted:

I kinda want to start a new game once the DLC is finished this season. Yall know if there's any way to just outright skip the Enbesa/Arctic questlines and unlock gas mines/scholars? Would prefer not to spend time on those yet again.

You can't skip the Arctic quests and the adventurer will straight up not let himself be picked up if you bring a helium airship. He'll stand there but be non-interactable.

Enbesa you can skip. Look it up but you can basically tell Ketema "Nah I'd rather not" and the Research Institute is just unlocked by getting enough Elders. However the quest itself isn't that long and gives you a free 10 Scholar dormitory licenses to start. You'll still get the chance to unify the islands, and no they're not necessary for the Research Institute unlock. You can basically rush Archie's quest: you'll just miss out on a free item for unifying the lands...that you can get from the Scholars anyways.

Oh also a neat note: With New World Rising they changed the names of the aluminum airships: Hydrogen filled ones keep the Greek/European mythological names. Helium filled variants get more Amazonian names. Harpy -> Colibri, Manticore -> Alicanto. Zephyr -> Quetzalcoatl.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Do I need to restart to get all the features of the new DLC?

I wish there was a way to skip the enbesa quest, but also get all the buffs to irrigation, fire, and research from elders.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Krataar posted:

Getting access to a new DLC prompts a 'hey you've got some extra content, want to add it to your game?' the first time you load a save after getting it.
Just click yes and everything should be live.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Krataar posted:

If you do not reset the only feature you'll miss out on is riverless island in the New World. The New World map was expanded on the North East and North West sides to make room for the Corona Nueva (Manola but it's basically a New Crown Falls) island and on those side new islands will generate. If you want a whole new map you'll need to start a new game.

Krataar posted:

I wish there was a way to skip the enbesa quest, but also get all the buffs to irrigation, fire, and research from elders.

Directly above you I just said:
-Yes you can skip the main quest line in Enbesa.
-No this does not cause you to skip the island storylines. You can still get those buffs.

Here's a video that will explain everything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHkK2w_NBRc

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Oh thank gently caress. I am so sick of this story. I wish it was achievement flagged. Anyways going to run through all the scenarios, farm up some tickets. Then set off on finally hitting 1 million pop so I can sunset this anno. I am hoping the next one is a future one. It should be a future one because, while I dont find the past ones as interesting, I think Anno 9 should be Anno 9. I think 1800 is going to be tough to beat though.

edit: Is Grand Gallery every new save or are the items one offs?

Krataar fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 16, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm hoping for early Asia myself. They had the orient in an earlier Anno, but they've never done a full on Asia game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Krataar posted:

Oh thank gently caress. I am so sick of this story. I wish it was achievement flagged. Anyways going to run through all the scenarios, farm up some tickets. Then set off on finally hitting 1 million pop so I can sunset this anno. I am hoping the next one is a future one. It should be a future one because, while I dont find the past ones as interesting, I think Anno 9 should be Anno 9. I think 1800 is going to be tough to beat though.

edit: Is Grand Gallery every new save or are the items one offs?

I thought the Grand Gallery was one off but I just pressed the Paloma button and got a "free" actor lady for the Variety Theater. Yanno, the one that gives +canned food and +Rum if the house has Variety Theater satisfied.

Edit: Tested it in another save. Grand Gallery is indeed "once per save" which makes it all way better.

Edit: Huh, went to get the last two cosmetic packs for myself (old town and industrial zone) and found that...the Ubisoft launcher doesn't seem to have a store anymore. In fact clicking the "buy now" button in the game even brought up the Steam menu (admittedly I have the Steam version, always did). I think they're divesting themselves of the launcher being a store and just having Steam/EGS handle the money.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 16, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Got my Stadium up, football fucken rules. I can have one per island?!?!

Time to settle some islands just so I can get a head-canon league going.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, a good friend bought me a complete copy of this game. I've missed Anno ever since made it exclusive to their poo poo store and I'm glad to see it back on Steam.\

Is the campaign worth playing? Or should I just play sandbox and enjoy the city building?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The campaign is a very good/reasonable tutorial to the game, and turns into a sandbox run when you complete it.
It's worth giving it a shake to acclimatise to the game, and you can always just start a new sandbox game if you tire of the floating heads talking at you.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

physeter posted:

Time for a restart. Goodnight, watery Crown Falls.

That's outstanding, thank you for sharing it! I may need to pick up the canal pack next time I decide I'm up for a month of Anno.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So I love how with the last two DLCs, Saltpeter has gone from "Kind of annoyingly hard to make a lot of" if you don't have a convenient island coast to make into a massive Saltpeter factory to hilariously common.

The Re-Rendering book that gives Saltpeter, Tallow and Dynamite from the Chemical factory producing Shampoo now also works on the Hacienda Fertilizer Works. And well, if you needed more electrified Alpaca Farms produce it as a bonus (I haven't actually messed with New World electricity so not sure how much it produces).

Considering this means you get Saltpeter twice from Alpacas...they sound like rather volatile creatures.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a way to make Manola not spawn without disabling New World Rising? For the same reason I've disabled Sunken Treasures. I've also disabled Docklands since apparently it's just plain OP for logistics.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nope. If you have New World Rising enabled they add Manola and an extra section of the map on the two top edges.

If it makes you feel any better, NWR/Manola seems to have screwed me over on my latest game. I electrified the island by completing the monument but that actually crippled my economy over time because The New World doesn't get the little carts the Old World does when electrified! So you're still dealing with the slow horse and cart which are just not sufficent for the Bauxite mines. They go from 6/minute to 12/minute, and the horse carts simply cannot keep up.

It took me forever to realize this was a problem because I was still producing aluminium, and my production page showed I was positive on bauxite ore/aluminium sidings. But I was running on minimum income (a challenge to myself) and a good chunk of my income was selling airships to Isabella...

Until I suddenly had no aluminium sidings to build ships out of.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I've got trucks zooming around all of my powered New World industrial areas, I'm looking at them right now. Almost all of those factories are getting Trade Union bonuses too, there's absolutely no way the warehouses could keep up if it was all slow-loading horse carts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Either of you running mods?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nope, no mods. Maybe it has to do with getting power from the dam. The smelter area worked just fine for hours when powered by a power plant, but I finished the dam and now I've got the carts.

Maybe I just need to tear down and rebuild the affected mines. It's still rather frustrating and makes me want to step back and wait for a patch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Nope, no mods. Maybe it has to do with getting power from the dam. The smelter area worked just fine for hours when powered by a power plant, but I finished the dam and now I've got the carts.

Maybe I just need to tear down and rebuild the affected mines. It's still rather frustrating and makes me want to step back and wait for a patch.

Gotta make sure they know about it. I don't know if they have a Discord but I know they are on Reddit.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

I had the same issue. I was able to fix it by relocating my aluminum smelting to outside the delivery radius of the mines. What's happening is that the carts will only deliver one or two bauxite at a time to the smelters, because their production rate is so slow. As a result the mines quickly run out of carts. If they're delivering exclusively to a warehouse across the street, though, they deliver larger quantities and in less time, so it works out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

I had the same issue. I was able to fix it by relocating my aluminum smelting to outside the delivery radius of the mines. What's happening is that the carts will only deliver one or two bauxite at a time to the smelters, because their production rate is so slow. As a result the mines quickly run out of carts. If they're delivering exclusively to a warehouse across the street, though, they deliver larger quantities and in less time, so it works out.

That sounds so stupid...and so logical. :ughh:

The worst part is when I noticed this problem I tried moving them closer to the mines.

Edit: yup, that fixed the problem. Also let me cut the cruft to save some money.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 1, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Awesome, that all makes sense. I've got my aluminum furnaces on an off-island (and chemical factories on another off-island), and I have since I had the resources together to settle a second New World island and post an extra Clipper out there so I'd never have had this problem.

The dam is the only power my Manola has ever had, and while bringing it online did gently caress up a bunch of my logistics it was because I was suddenly using twice as much of everything and was still using almost all Clippers with maybe the blue sails item to move goods between islands.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LOL, I basically went from clippers straight into airships. Though they're mostly the smaller ones...and also why I'm generally running at a negative.
Edit:
The multi-move feature might have a few issues:

That post office should be next to the marketplace, not merging into it (the big hint is the window)

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 1, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Airships load way too slowly for my taste, all of my inter-session trade is carried by World-Class Reefers with the purple water screw or the orange Purveyor of Tall Ships lady and intra-session stuff runs almost exclusively on basic steamers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The loading speed depends on the airship. The fast ships have the worst at 20%...oddly enough the armed versions actually load faster at 40% (they lose an inventory slot and cost more upkeep though).

The small cargo airship actually has a 120% loading speed modifier but no warp drive. The medium one kinda sucks with 50% loading speed but that can be helped with items, and a small warp drive giving it 130% open sea speed. The large cargo airship is pretty juicy though: 90% loading speed isn't great but 170% transfer speed between sessions on 8 slots is pretty juicy.

They basically all outclass the old Northern Passage Boreas which has the highest top airspeed of all cargo airships but no speed boost between sessions and the same painful 50% loading rate as the Dtundtuncan/Pegasus medium cargo airship.

The real issue seems to be that they absolutely love bogarting the airship dock. You know: the thing that has an un-upgradeable 2 ton/second loading speed and is required for mail routes. So your medium cargo vessel just bogarts the real estate you want to use for, you know, anything else. I've found placing aerodrome either in the back (Manola, Crown Falls) or just near a main harbor area helps dramatically. The first kind of intercepts the non-airmail ships. The latter puts nearby docks for the non-mail ships to land at which helps with their derpy AI.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 1, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is saving up for an Actor specialist really just the best way to deal with Canned Food, it's such a dogshit production chain lmao

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Next best thing is Chef Michel, who replaces goulash with whole pigs

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Is saving up for an Actor specialist really just the best way to deal with Canned Food, it's such a dogshit production chain lmao

Do one of the scenarios and get the golden tickets. You can then buy an artist from Paloma's Gallery and you can call her to deliver which means every save from that point you can call Paloma for a free Actor.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers!

BTW, two more questions:

1. I've just discovered that Haciendas straight up let you bypass a significant portion of required fertilities in a New World island. Once again I'm restarting this seed because I went and settled two islands for the ones I needed to reach Investor and 4 islands (2 in Old World for hops and furs) is a lot to manage mentally; is it possible to reach Investor on the strength of one full-size Hacienda alone?

2. Will the AI settle in Enbesa and the Arctic if I don't do those expeditions in time? It's another attention sink and yeah, the game is loving huge and I don't like being overwhelmed.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 2, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

1. Realistically you'll need at least two New World islands to have enough space for everything you need to break past a couple thousand Investors.
e: 1A. VVV for Enbesa you need Bees, Lobsters, Spices, and Indigo from off-island and I don't think I've ever needed fewer than two off-islands to get all of that together. Also, because this surprised me, I found out recently that while Apiaries can have tractor sheds, they can't use fertilizer silos.

2. If you're restarting anyway and feeling pressed for attention by that many islands, allow me to recommend the fairly thread-popular "no settling AI characters" start. Retaining the talking heads like Archie and Isabel Sarmento gives you NPCs to get quests from and trade with, and you don't have to deal with pressure from AIs expanding onto islands you might eventually want.

There's more than enough plate-spinning to occupy multiple human players in a long-term game of Anno without needing to build up to wiping out an inconvenient AI player, several posters in here including myself find playing this way more enjoyable.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 2, 2023

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I think you can reach investor off of one big island with a hacienda (as long as you grow the island's native fertilities in the non-hacienda part of the island) but two would be easier.

The AI will settle other islands in Enbesa, but I think slowly. You get the main island as part of the plot and you may only need one more for lobsters or honey or some some poo poo. Also IIRC you get the empire guy's island as part of the plot too.

For the Arctic, the AI will NOT settle until you've gone through the plot. You can settle the other islands, including the glacier ones, at your leisure as long as you don't find out what happened to the expedition. I think it only takes like 55 influence to settle the whole arctic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers, guys!

RE: AI pressure, I actually do like having them around since it does make the game feel a lot more alive; it's just that the easy AIs are complete pushovers so I want some diplomatic management at the very least.