Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

No Dignity posted:

I always thought it was a shame when characters that should have remained part of the casts lives fade into the background after their episode. Ruth comes back once but her daughter doesn't at all, Ashley (Lisa's Rival) never gets another speaking appearance either. I know it's because they're celebrity guest actors but it would have been nice if Lisa made a real friend who crops up now and then!

i just want to know when they're going to visit Capitol City again, that was a great episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is The Simpsons the only show with no incidental characters?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

i'm guessing no but I can tell you for certain that it's the only show that's in the subject of this thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

Is The Simpsons the only show with no incidental characters?

Ed Edd n Eddy?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ed Edd n Eddy?

Ooh, good one.
It's rare you don't have incidentals show up somewhere at some point. I miss the goofy ones from early Simpsons.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ed Edd n Eddy?

AKA The Canadian show that became massively popular in the USA but was largely ignored in its home country.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

The Simpsons is so bad that we can't even tell what the lowest point is
the lowest point of the simpsons is an asymptote, and we will continue to see new lows as the episode count approaches infinity

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

No Dignity posted:

I always thought it was a shame when characters that should have remained part of the casts lives fade into the background after their episode. Ruth comes back once but her daughter doesn't at all, Ashley (Lisa's Rival) never gets another speaking appearance either. I know it's because they're celebrity guest actors but it would have been nice if Lisa made a real friend who crops up now and then!

Lisa's "thing" is that a genuinely smart person simply does not belong in Springfield and is alienated as a consequence of their very existence.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BasicLich posted:

hey its that white trash girl who kissed bart and tried to get her to marry him because she was pregnat

Which one is this?

BasicLich posted:

based on Rod and Todd Flanders in the right of the image, we must assume Ned Flanders is obscured behind Marge. Those three people to the right of them are also worthy of scrutiny, the woman between the two men I don't recognize at all looks like Cookie Kwan, an employee of Red Blazer Real Estate

The bald guy looks like they just made Lars from the first Futurama movie black.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

Ooh, good one.
It's rare you don't have incidentals show up somewhere at some point. I miss the goofy ones from early Simpsons.

Did just come to mind- I'm sure there's been other cartoons with that level of character minimalism, but I think a big part of the show's charm is the almost stage-like result of using strictly twelve characters, and not all of them always show up either. (Especially given three are the Kankers) Not counting animals, mind. Or Plank.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Which one is this?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
That's Shauna Chalmers, Super-Nintendo Chalmers' daughter; she just used Bart to make Jimbo jealous IIRC and the girl Bart thought he got pregnant was some out of town rando.

Edit: S18E12 "Little Big Girl", the character was named "Darcy" and played by Natalie Portman. The B story is the one where Lisa pretends to be Native American, so just a real crap episode all around

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 6, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

oh huh I guess I misremembered it

anyway Marge's dress also looks like that car Homer designed, complete with a red thingamajig way up in the air

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

why does marge look like she doesn't want any drat vegetables

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Marge looks like she pulled the upper half of a star wars costume out of a closet and then spray painted her arms and legs green.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

AKA The Canadian show that became massively popular in the USA but was largely ignored in its home country.

wait seriously?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I don't now the lowest point, but I'm lead to believe the "Simpsons Sucks Now" discourse must've happened when The Simpsons: The Complete First Season showed up on DVD.

But I think it's a cross between writers changing, and shifts on "guest star of the week" and just the self-aware nature that they've done practically every story. (How many else worlds stories are there?)

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

BasicLich posted:

hey its that white trash girl who kissed bart and tried to get her to marry him because she was pregnat

Hey how have you been

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr Interweb posted:

wait seriously?

Like half of all children’s cartoon shows are secretly Canadian

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wait, what? You can't do that on television!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Canada?! They're supposed to be our allies!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In a recent one, Bart discovers the lovely computers in the school create a glitch in a Roblox-like game (Bobox) that allows them to sell wigs but keep the item, so they can resell them. He sets all the kids up in the computer lab making money. Skinner finds out so Bart tries to bribe him.

Skinner sings an AWFUL song about how he wants to turn the school into a magnet performing arts school because those are exempted from standardized testing. He joins the scam.

It turns into a mafia parody from there. The Montessori school cuts in on their turf. Skinner refuses to take a deal with them but Bart wants to, so Skinner cuts him out. The turf war is told through a youtube video or something:

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1600981255650267146

Skinner is about to bulldoze the Montessori school but Bart gets in his way and talks him down.

Maggie is also playing the game. Homer and Marge find out she can talk through emojis in the game, so they spend the episode talking to her.

They do The Wire song over clips for the credits

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1600920781088854018

Lots of things in this episode made my soul hurt.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1601215180528144386

I can't find the Skinner song in a Twitter embed, but holy gently caress is it bad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't watched Simpsons regularly for 15 years and it feels like anything since then is a strange dream.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Skinner sings an AWFUL song about how he wants to turn the school into a magnet performing arts school because those are exempted from standardized testing.

Oh my god

Ooooooohhh my god this thumbnail is amazing hahaha :cripes:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

:kstare:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Like half of all children’s cartoon shows are secretly Canadian

No I meant that it flopped in Canada?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, in Canada the whole thing's flip-flopped.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
if teletoon in the late 00's is anything to go by, canadian cartoons are 95% unwatchable fuckin garbage used as filler between the good adult swim shows

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
a Roblox-like game

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I don't even know how you play roblox and at this point I'm too afraid to ask

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I genuinely enjoy watching new Simpsons with my SO just out of the same instinct that makes people rubberneck a car crash. Often it's bad enough to laugh at even if you cant laugh with it. Sometimes you even get 1-2 decent sorta clever jokes among the "oh my God LISTEN TO MARGE'S VOICE" and "nice Tik tok joke, the simpsons. This still feels like every single writer is 65 years old.", but sometimes you do get incredibly low effort writing to the point it isnt even entertainingly bad and totally unwatchable episodes like the recent Nelson-Lisa...thing. I really have so little interest in like, learning the backstory of say, Nelson's mom, or getting a comic book guy centered episode but I guess it's pretty much unavoidable at season 85 or whatever.
They really stopped trying with background gags though.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't even know how you play roblox and at this point I'm too afraid to ask

Have you played Fortnite arcade mode? The best comparison for my age group would be BYOND. Roblox is kind of a whole multiplayer game engine (I think it uses Lua?) where kids make their own game modes and fill em to the brim with microtransactions (get em started early!). You go to the Roblox home page and you can play all sorts of things from Multiplayer RPGs to Kart Racers to Clickers, some of them serviceable, some of them absolute dogshit. It's a weird thing. It's worth checking out just to see how kids are being introduced to the internet in 2022 and it's fun seeing what weird poo poo people can do with that engine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

plainswalker75 posted:

Edit: S18E12 "Little Big Girl", the character was named "Darcy" and played by Natalie Portman. The B story is the one where Lisa pretends to be Native American, so just a real crap episode all around

good god

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Beartaco posted:

Have you played Fortnite arcade mode? The best comparison for my age group would be BYOND. Roblox is kind of a whole multiplayer game engine (I think it uses Lua?) where kids make their own game modes and fill em to the brim with microtransactions (get em started early!). You go to the Roblox home page and you can play all sorts of things from Multiplayer RPGs to Kart Racers to Clickers, some of them serviceable, some of them absolute dogshit. It's a weird thing. It's worth checking out just to see how kids are being introduced to the internet in 2022 and it's fun seeing what weird poo poo people can do with that engine.

It's a remarkably interesting idea - letting kids design their own minigames, introducing them to programming, sharing with others, all of it. It's just a shame that the company behind it are apparently greedy microtransaction-pushing assholes to a degree that manages to stand out even within the modern gaming industry.

To be fair, I have no personal experience with roblox or the parent company, I'm just going by third-hand hearsay. But it's quite consistent hearsay.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With how garbage the writing is in a lot of current era simpsions. Like how are they picking the writers that are so bleh? Like you think there would be a bunch of talented writers that would of loved to of started writing for the Simpsions. Or is it just a case of there is talented writers but the producers/show runners suck any amount of comedy out of them during the script writing process.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boblox.

Someone sure spent 5 seconds thinking about that clever and hilarious joke.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
roblox roblox bo boblox
banana fana fo foblox
fee fi mo moblox
simpsons joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Howard Beale posted:

roblox roblox bo boblox

Tiny Toon Adventures would always do a throwaway joke in the credits and my favorite was "Character Inadvertently Left out of the Name Game: Plucky Duck"