Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Recently got a NuPhy Air 75. I’ve never been able to get into mechanical because the height of the keys was so much higher than laptops/dome keyboards, but this is perfect. “Low profile” so it’s a lot thinner but still has nice mechanical switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm still getting used to the 1800 layout of my RK100 - definitely a good feel but shift/enter and 0 numpad / right arrow errors are the bane of my existence. And hitting shift + end is a pain in the rear for excel fuckery.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I've been won over by the 1800 compact format but with the separation gap with the arrows and numpad block - I think I would have the same key press problems with the 96% keyboards that are a single big ol' slab of keys.

I got an Akko 3098 in the sales and while the GMMK 2 96 is arguably better I think I like using the Akko more purely because it's bit shorter and that makes more difference than I thought.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Actually found a few sets of keycaps that'd fit my G710+. Ended up being Cherry profile, which is taking a bit to get used to, but otherwise they're quite nice once i threw some o-rings on them. Was tough finding something that'd play ball with the orange on this thing. I definitely need to do a fill teardown at some point, but was good to clean it up some.

Keycaps - Ghost Judges Apollo

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I've been looking with no luck.. is there a wireless, 100% keyboard that has the F1 key right up against the Esc key, like on the Keychron K6 with Knob? I'm looking hard at the K10 and LP K5 SE models, but I'd rather not have the F1 key right atop the Number 2 key.

So, wireless, and has a knob or otherwise offsetting the top row so the function keys don't "start" at Number 2 key are the parameters:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I got my keychron v3 and spent time slowly pulling the browns and replacing them with U4Ts (bought a completed set from amazon, too impatient to wait for a barebones board to be in stock). Thoughts so far:
  • These switches rule. Thank you to whomever convinced me to take the plunge. Absolutely love the feel and the sound, the browns are dead to me.
  • This is nit picky but the spacebar doesn't fill me with joy as the sound is kind of hollow. I tend to hit it on the extreme right side of the key so I'm wondering if this is something better stabilizers would help with? If so is there a recommendation?
  • I'm using the default keychron caps and I really like them aside from one thing : its nearly impossible to tell if caps lock is on or not without getting up close and personal with the keyboard. Is there a recommended place to buy individual caps?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Horn posted:

This is nit picky but the spacebar doesn't fill me with joy as the sound is kind of hollow. I tend to hit it on the extreme right side of the key so I'm wondering if this is something better stabilizers would help with? If so is there a recommendation?
Some people fix the hollow sound by literally making it less hollow with foam inside of the keycap. You can by it pre-cut to spacebar keycap size but it's probably more cost effective to just cut some to size.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Horn posted:

[*] This is nit picky but the spacebar doesn't fill me with joy as the sound is kind of hollow. I tend to hit it on the extreme right side of the key so I'm wondering if this is something better stabilizers would help with? If so is there a recommendation?
It definitely can be stabilizer-related but from what I recall, Keychron stabs aren't too bad; I don't think changing them would make a huge difference. Instead I'd recommend re-lubing them (I don't think Keychron lube their stabs very well) and try some kind of tape-based mod. The Holee mod is a bit time-consuming but works wonders for very cheap (lube and a band-aid). If you're not into that, a simpler tape mod could also help.

If you do end up changing them, Durocks have treated me well in the past.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Horn posted:

[*] This is nit picky but the spacebar doesn't fill me with joy as the sound is kind of hollow. I tend to hit it on the extreme right side of the key so I'm wondering if this is something better stabilizers would help with? If so is there a recommendation?
I tend to be a bit of a heavy typist and wanted to make mine quiet as I was taking it to work and didn't want my co-workers pissed. So, I bought some of that car audio sound dampening material and put some along the inside bottom of the case. That made a huge difference, but the bigger keys (Shift, Enter, Space, Backspace etc.) were still a bit noisy, so I cut a few small squares of the sound dampening material and stuck it to the underside of those keys. Now it's super quiet. I've done 3 keyboards and still have quite a bit left. I could probably send you a bit to try.

quote:

[*] I'm using the default keychron caps and I really like them aside from one thing : its nearly impossible to tell if caps lock is on or not without getting up close and personal with the keyboard. Is there a recommended place to buy individual caps?
I've never bought from them directly (I bought a few kits that were offered on Massdrop), but Tai-Hao sells some individual keys. I'm planning on ordering a kit from them soon, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Tapedump posted:

I've been looking with no luck.. is there a wireless, 100% keyboard that has the F1 key right up against the Esc key, like on the Keychron K6 with Knob? I'm looking hard at the K10 and LP K5 SE models, but I'd rather not have the F1 key right atop the Number 2 key.

So, wireless, and has a knob or otherwise offsetting the top row so the function keys don't "start" at Number 2 key are the parameters:

An F13 layout might be what you're looking for? I'm not sure if they come in 100% though, you usually see F13 TKLs.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Tapedump posted:

Searching for 1800 layout should have this covered.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Thanks for the keyboard rec - just got my new keycaps and it's looking fresh and behaving nicely!

Still awaiting new switches, but the gateron reds in it seems to be fine. Also, because I have no self control, I ordered a second batch of things for the office...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Alucard posted:

Thanks for the keyboard rec - just got my new keycaps and it's looking fresh and behaving nicely!

Still awaiting new switches, but the gateron reds in it seems to be fine. Also, because I have no self control, I ordered a second batch of things for the office...

holy poo poo i love those keycaps. that's like my favourite colour scheme ever

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Check the AliExpress thread for the details and a few other cool options other goons have found!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Well my dumbass spilled a sugary drink on part of my mountain everest keyboard. Works fine except the spacebar stabalizers are so sticky that i cant use my spacebar. Anyone have experience pulling on of these apart to clean it? Something beyond pulling keycaps? Or should i just flush with distilled water and let dry for an extended amount of time? Id appreciate any wisdom. Tia

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ZombieCrew posted:

Well my dumbass spilled a sugary drink on part of my mountain everest keyboard. Works fine except the spacebar stabalizers are so sticky that i cant use my spacebar. Anyone have experience pulling on of these apart to clean it? Something beyond pulling keycaps? Or should i just flush with distilled water and let dry for an extended amount of time? Id appreciate any wisdom. Tia

I'm not familiar with that keyboard, so a bit of Googling shows there are multiple sub-models under that make/model name.

I found these disassembly guides:
Everest 60.
Everest Max

I couldn't find one specific to the Core, but from what I can tell, the Max is basically the Core + modular 10key + mini display, so the Max guide should work for that.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Snagged a Wooting 60HE, if I'm lucky it will be here this time next month. I really liked my experiment with speed silvers, but not all of the time.

Any suggestions for custom 60% cases? Would love to find something obnoxious and transparent, like piss green uv reactive plexiglass. For obvious reasons I only ever seem to find anything close in 'clearance' sections

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Snagged a Wooting 60HE, if I'm lucky it will be here this time next month. I really liked my experiment with speed silvers, but not all of the time.

Any suggestions for custom 60% cases? Would love to find something obnoxious and transparent, like piss green uv reactive plexiglass. For obvious reasons I only ever seem to find anything close in 'clearance' sections

Comedy: what material does LEGO make their translucent neon green parts out of? Is that commercially available?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

You could get a stacked acrylic case from p3dstore that should work. They have some pretty crazy acrylic colors in stock: https://p3dstore.com/pages/in-stock-acrylic-color-options

This might be right up your alley: https://p3dstore.com/pages/9093-fluro-green-acrylic-gallery

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

So this is cool:
https://squidgeefish.com/projects/rotary-keyboard/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

IBM beige, or Bell Black or get out

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
https://www.pcgamer.com/forget-rgb-...ce=facebook.com

Pretty neat.

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Current best friend board. Traded my last Model F away for this, pretty cool Alps SKCC board where the ancient layout isn't super far from usability (with a bunch of remapping ofc).

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard switch that, when pressed, immediately releases, as in you can not hold them down. It's ok if it has almost no travel. I'd like for the time for it to release to be around 4 frames, or 250ms.

Micro Switch SW/SD with pulse hall sensors do this, it's usually seen as undesirable so you might be able to find someone that has a board with them that they don't want. These are pretty much the only switches I'm aware of that do stuff like that out of the box - that box is admittedly something like 40 years old, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That thing is sick AF dude. I do hope it gives you many more years of typing enjoyment.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I currently have a Corsiar K70, and it's been mostly fine, but I'm having a bit of a "new shiny" urge and I was looking at the Logictech g915 - honestly kind of pricey, and not sure how much I -need- wireless, but that feature might be handy since I'm considering switching to a keyboard tray setup and it would mean not having to worry about finding a solution for the bulky cord my corsiar has. It could also be annoying because I'd have to charge the thing and probably route the charging cord anyways.

I'm also eyeballing the g915 because it looks decently low-profile - though it doesn't look -that- much shorter then my K70 just from product shots. I certainly feel like I need the palm rest for the k70 for ergonomics/comfort. (So many regular mechanic keyboards without palm rests look so high!) - Though I suppose the g915 is far from the only low profile mechanical keyboard.

Thoughts? Alternate recommendations?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

This is hot, and I also appreciate your iPod. Sadly I washed my iPod Classic a few years ago :( I miss having a dedicated music device

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I currently have a Corsiar K70, and it's been mostly fine, but I'm having a bit of a "new shiny" urge and I was looking at the Logictech g915 - honestly kind of pricey, and not sure how much I -need- wireless, but that feature might be handy since I'm considering switching to a keyboard tray setup and it would mean not having to worry about finding a solution for the bulky cord my corsiar has. It could also be annoying because I'd have to charge the thing and probably route the charging cord anyways.

I'm also eyeballing the g915 because it looks decently low-profile - though it doesn't look -that- much shorter then my K70 just from product shots. I certainly feel like I need the palm rest for the k70 for ergonomics/comfort. (So many regular mechanic keyboards without palm rests look so high!) - Though I suppose the g915 is far from the only low profile mechanical keyboard.

Having had both the K70 and G815 (full-size wired but basically the same as the G915 otherwise), the G815 is truly low profile while the K70 tall keycaps necessitated a wrist rest for me (even the flimsy plastic one it comes with). The keycaps on the G815 are very short so the whole thing makes for a really low, slim profile. I don't think you'll need a wrist rest with the G915 unless you really want one.

I couldn't recommend another low profile mechanical offhand, but I will say that Logitech's G series is all proprietary caps and switches. And the caps are really cheap, with two stems per cap that easily snap--it happened to me on one key, a stem snapped off and got stuck inside the switch and I ended having to RMA the whole keyboard. And that was with regular use, I hadn't even removed the keycap in question.

That said, the G815 feels good to use, but personally for $200 I would want something hot swappable and MX compatible.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Oxyclean posted:

Keep in mind that this is the opinion of a keyboard nerd and what's important to me if very far removed from what's important for most people.

I had an 815 with reds and a 915 TKL with browns and while I liked the looks I ended up really disliking the feel of both keyboard/switches. Both felt mushy despite the short travel, the browns had basically no tactile feel and there's so much stem wobble... I might have tried replacing the switches and keycaps but I really don't know low-profile switches, plus they are soldered so there's every chance I'd sink way more time and money in that keyboard than it's worth.

If you're looking for wireless and low-profile, I'd go with a Nuphy Air75. It's not as flashy but you can get keycaps to change the look, and it comes with Gateron LP switches so while I can't vouch for them they're probably better than the LP "Kaihl" (GL) switches on the 915 and it's hotswap so if you end up not liking them it's way less of a hassle to try new ones.

Now, with all that said, if you want a G15 TKL with brown switches I have a used one for sale and I'm in Canada, PM me if you're interested.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oxyclean posted:

You'll have to excuse the dirty keyboards here in the laundry room but here's my dad's K70 (he spilled water in it and I'm about to tear it down for a deep clean) vs. my G915 TKL. It's a lot flatter and the keycaps have a flat profile:

I like the G915 a lot but it's not my primary keyboard. The downsides are really the proprietary keycaps, switches and software, but the software is an upside too since you can configure leds how you want and even have them do stuff in response to something in a game if it has the API for it. The main detriment to peripheral software is always "what will happen to it in 20 years." Logitech has an okay track record for this, I have some mice of theirs from 20 years ago that still work, but it's something to consider. It's not built like a mechanical from the 1980s that has another century to go before it stops working. That said it's pretty nice to use aside from the keycaps issue. It's also super low latency if that matters to you. It is basically an appliance keyboard where you use it how it comes out of the box and not an enthusiast one where you can change switches and keycaps. If you can live with that I'd say give it a shot, I haven't had any issues with mine in a year.

I got the clicky one and my friend got the tactile one and we're both pretty happy with our choices. My normal switch choice is MX blues/greens or Kailh box blues or navies. The logitech clicky has less throw and a quieter click, but it still clicks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! I think something that you just use out of the box works fine for me. Ordered a TKL g915. Hope I don't miss the numpad too much. (I probably won't, I rarely use it, most of it's usage has been WoW and FF14 that default bound numlock to autorun...)

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help I got in this thread around Nov. I ended up with KeyChron K4 brown switches. So far since xmas I'm loving it. One of my biggest concerns about the brown switches is that they'd be too loud and I'm honestly not that bothered by it. But this one keyboard is awesome for switching between my work machine and gaming rig pretty seamlessly. Next up are probably some different keycaps for when my birthday rolls around. Suggestions on where to shop for those?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

sterster posted:

Thanks for the help I got in this thread around Nov. I ended up with KeyChron K4 brown switches. So far since xmas I'm loving it. One of my biggest concerns about the brown switches is that they'd be too loud and I'm honestly not that bothered by it. But this one keyboard is awesome for switching between my work machine and gaming rig pretty seamlessly. Next up are probably some different keycaps for when my birthday rolls around. Suggestions on where to shop for those?

As a 96% user I've become a huge fan of Akko sets. Super crisp legend, quality doubleshot PBT, affordable, in stock on Amazon and not shady copies of GMMK sets. It's especially nice for 96% because it has all the weird modifiers that a lot of sets don't have (1u "0" and all the R4s like "delete", "print screen", etc.) and a lot of the colorways have 3 tones so you can have some way to quickly tell your arrow keys from your num pad.

Most of their sets are ASA profile, which I personally love, but I think it's proprietary so it's harder to mix and match with anything but other Akko sets. They also have some Cherry profile sets.

I also have a iQunix WOB set that is very nice but don't use because I really like the 3-tone I have going. Keychron also sells sets but I've never tried their PBT keycaps. I have no reason to think they're not quality though.

Outside of that, you can always try AliExpress but I've had very mixed results in the past (obviously long shipping times but also poor quality control, especially for the legend, and a LOT of sets on there are scummy GMMK clones). If you're ok with waiting for a few months/years you could try and look on Group Buy aggregators for a set you like that could also come with a matching desk mat.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

I got my duck one 3 finally and I find it actually incredibly frustrating to use, it seems to be way to easy to actuate the keys and I get a ton of extraneous key presses and double letters.

I guess I should've gone with switches with a high force required, so I'll probably have to swap them out.

This is apparently an issue with the factory firmware. There is an update available.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I opened up the casing to one of my broken Rosewill mechanical keyboard (drink spill on it) to see if I could clean it up and maybe replace the switches but I'm a little unsure as to how the circuit board is attached to the metal plate, anyone know? are they just held together by the soldered switches or something?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I just saw this on Twitter/Masto tonight, and I think it will be of interest to this thread: https://shifthappens.site

Kickstarting in February, lots of beautiful images. I have no financial stake in this, I just think it looks cool.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lazy Fair posted:

I opened up the casing to one of my broken Rosewill mechanical keyboard (drink spill on it) to see if I could clean it up and maybe replace the switches but I'm a little unsure as to how the circuit board is attached to the metal plate, anyone know? are they just held together by the soldered switches or something?

Usually it's just the switches, sometimes there are a few additional screws that become obvious when the switches are out

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone taken apart one of the Lenovo Thinkpad keyboards? Like the stand-alone ones, though I suspect the actual keyboard part is the same as on the laptops.

I got a few drops on it yesterday by just shifting awkwardly while holding a cup and got (what I thought) a few drops on it. I wiped them off and everything seemed fine, but a lot more must've gotten inside because after not using it for most of the day, many keys on the right side stopped working.

Only managed to take off the bezel around it, the actual keyboard seems to be somehow held down to the bottom. Maybe glued? I put a fan to blow on it throughout the day and it changed behavior at every point I tried it. Like once the Enter key wasn't working, then it was, but the spacebar didn't work. At one point some keys resulted in two keys being detected, fo example the right bracket always printed "=]", now it works ok, but the Enter key doesn't work again lol.

E: So the situation seems to have stabilized after a day in front of a fan, the m,.\ keys as well as page down and return aren't working. Maybe

It does seem like there's a new mechanical keyboard with trackpoint coming out soon, though I've been pretty happy with the Lenovo one and I think I'll try to fix it before gambling two benjamins on this

https://tex.com.tw/products/shura?variant=42840179409051

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2023

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Lazy Fair posted:

Depending on the way the plate cutouts are done on your board, you may be able to remove single switches by just desoldering that switch and popping the tabs in to release it from the plate.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I just received the Wooting 60HE that I ordered back in November, and in a rare happenstance of great timing the Tofu60 case that I thought I had pre-ordered was shipped a day or 2 after my purchase and arrived a day after the Wooting. I have to say, while I'm still getting used to a 60% form factor this is the best keyboard I've ever used.

First of all, the software is the best, because there's nothing to install or run in the background; you just use a web app to set your on--board profiles and you're done. The app is also super easy to use and allows for really cool things.

The Hall Effect switches take a bit of getting used to if you're trying to type with an analog profile on, but on the default digital profile it's not too bad, just a bit sensitive because of the default .4mm actuation point (which you can set anywhere between .1mm and 4mm, and per-key, which is cool for gaming profiles if you don't want a super sensitive Enter key). You can make it as sensitive as you like.

I still have a lot to experiment with and get used to, and I'm not sure the gamepad/analog keys are going to be super useful, but it really feels like a keyboard made by people who actually wanted to make a good keyboard.

Here it is in its Tofu60 case. Right now I'm sporting HyperX stealth keycaps but I'm not sure how I fell about them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

sterster posted:

I've had good luck on AliExpress but you have to sift through a lot to find decent stuff that fits your aesthetic. Just combined some panda red switches and these keycaps on a new rk100 for work:

Really liking the early tactile response on the panda reds and the extra oomph of that switch relative to a standard brown which feels mushy to me.