Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Gil Thorp

God, I can't possibly give a poo poo. I know Gil Thorp is a sports strip, but the sports ones are SO BORING. Hopefully we'll get back to the plot pretty soon, which is also boring and that I also don't give a poo poo about.

If she managed to throw a lipstick (or even an actual rock) through the bar on that window, I hear the Demons of Baseball are looking for a pitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Beeg posted:

Hey ya! I'm still around!

Just been busy with stuff, including my own projects, and also, oddly enough, Arnold itself.

TL;DR: I've been in touch with Kevin McCormick about the possibility of reprinting "Arnold" in book form. Well, Kevin agreed, deals were made, and now I'm working to get all the strips in printable format for the book. Good news is I have all the dailies, but the bad news is my Sunday files are spotty, so I'm trying to get all the decent copies of them as possible.

This also means that it'd be in our best interest to stop posting "Arnold" while the book is in the works, so no more on my end, sorry! But when the book comes out (the first volume I'm hoping sometime next year if there are no snags), I'll be sure to publicize it.

Also, since my Patreon was brought up...shameless plug, I know, but any support can help make the book production easier.

Oh wow, that's cool news. Congratulations and good luck!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mister Beeg posted:

Just been busy with stuff, including my own projects, and also, oddly enough, Arnold itself.

TL;DR: I've been in touch with Kevin McCormick about the possibility of reprinting "Arnold" in book form. Well, Kevin agreed, deals were made, and now I'm working to get all the strips in printable format for the book. Good news is I have all the dailies, but the bad news is my Sunday files are spotty, so I'm trying to get all the decent copies of them as possible.

This also means that it'd be in our best interest to stop posting "Arnold" while the book is in the works, so no more on my end, sorry! But when the book comes out (the first volume I'm hoping sometime next year if there are no snags), I'll be sure to publicize it.

Also, since my Patreon was brought up...shameless plug, I know, but any support can help make the book production easier.
Sounds like a fun project!

Well, back to posting links as well as images.

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

So it's true, he's just cool with it.

Well you know that's OK.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Huh. That's a pretty bad fish in Mark Trail panel 1. I thought it was starting to show in the last story but if Jules can't even draw the animal close ups with any enthusiasm...

No seriously, is that a colossal fish in a pond or a normal sized fish in a comically small puddle? Enormous perspective blunder.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 15, 2022

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Exploring Boundaries Comix

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Out Our Way At Christmas (December 18, 20, 24-26, 1924)

Our Boarding House (March 8-10, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (May 20-22, 1920)

Dok's Dippy Detonation (June 25, 1914)

Little Lefty (September 13-15, 1937)

:china: :china: :china:

And as a bonus, one of those occasional reminders of what a Daily Worker sports page looks like.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

Well, thank God for that, and congratulations to you and McCormick. And don’t stay a stranger, you post good things in this thread.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oh poo poo, is the Bootleg Bourbon Backwards storyline finally going somewhere?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (September 13-15, 1937)

Ah the bittersweet end of SummeaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA :gonk:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 28, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 13-14, 1992)

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 11, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

btw im moving the next couple days, might interrupt comics posting but i should be back saturday, sunday at the latest

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 15, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

TyrsHTML posted:

Or you know, fix the rampant poverty problem amongst your serfs so children aren't running around in threadbare rags.

She does! I mean, it's part of some other goofy pretense, but still.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 10, 1954)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/14/02

Brenda Starr 1/5-7/50

Smokey Stover 10/7/51

Spoilered out of an abundance of caution.

Everyday Movies 11/22/35

"Hey, Duke, stop promising those guys some of our sweepstakes if we win. We won't have enough left for ourselves."

Possibly a reference to the Irish Sweepstakes, one of the few legal ways to gamble in the 1930s.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way At Christmas (December 18, 20, 24-26, 1924)

Nearly all of these Christmas strips have been incredibly relatable, and would work just fine published today. Which makes this particular strip REALLY stand out!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In general, the whole idea of long pants as a rite of passage is charmingly foreign nowadays.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

lol Tinkersons rules

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

In general, the whole idea of long pants as a rite of passage is charmingly foreign nowadays.

Yeah I've always found this interesting. I notice that, in the strips with Goldie and that group, one of the boys wears shorts (or breeches?). Is he younger than the others? Is it just preference? I honestly can't tell if this is a detail that's meant to mean something or not.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Delighted at Aleta’s decision to both upend gender and also kick her own son’s rear end into shape with the same decree.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that's an excellent bizarro

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I feel this is relevant to this thread with the end of register cat

https://twitter.com/TweetsOfCats/status/1603383023352807424

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts (and yeah, "shmaybe" is a bit much for me, too)

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 6, 1935)

Peanuts (December 19, 1975)

The farewell tour wouldn't be Funky Winkerbean without a long stretch of wasting our precious--and increasingly limited--time walking down snowy streets that we're not really familiar with (because centering everything around office and restaurant interiors has that effect), accompanied by a character who we don't really know anymore (because being effectively written out of a strip for five years has that effect).

Crankshaft

You've spent half a century creating excruciatingly punny character names, and "Phil the Forecaster" is all you've got?

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 17, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Randy's day on)

Out Our Way (August 1-3, 1940)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

The farewell tour wouldn't be Funky Winkerbean without a long stretch of wasting our precious--and increasingly limited--time walking down snowy streets that we're not really familiar with (because centering everything around office and restaurant interiors has that effect), accompanied by a character who we don't really know anymore (because being effectively written out of a strip for five years has that effect).

It's funny to me that Batiuk thinks we'll derive meaning from Summer standing and staring at various buildings, but because he hasn't put any work into making us care about these places it's just a parade of, 'What the gently caress is that place supposed to be?'

quote:

You've spent half a century creating excruciatingly punny character names, and "Phil the Forecaster" is all you've got?

Is that supposed to be a lame reference to Groundhog Day, or am I giving Batiuk too much credit?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Really disappointed with how the crew is treating their boy Smoky here. Support your friend, guys. He's probably trying to impress the girl there.

Maybe I read too much into these sometimes.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary - click :drac: for alt host

:drac:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This seems like a really goofy way to try and ramp up tension when this conversation has been stretched for like a week already.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Potsticker posted:

This seems like a really goofy way to try and ramp up tension when this conversation has been stretched for like a week already.

And played out 3 times over the last 2 years

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail catch-up

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-ZUrc-aLI

Of Hate Crimes and Being A Little Girl

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 29, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 15-16, 1992)

Decades later Calvin's parents found this photo and realized to their horror that the camera didn't have a timer function and that there was no way he couldn't have taken it himself.

Big Nate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Uh oh, Planck got saved by someone more hardcore than him!