Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Isn’t there like no room for ibis? Unless they make it fatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The Ricoh gr3 has Ibis and it's smaller than the Fuji

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Maybe it will be slightly worse than the other Fuji IBIS systems. The GR3 only has 4 stops.

I recently bought a 2013 Ricoh GR off Yahoo Japan auctions. It was under $300 and is still on the way to me. Hopefully it doesn't die within like a year. I really enjoyed the GR3 I had a couple years ago but it overheated like crazy when I went out to shoot some summer protests. I heard the older version has better battery life and better controls and doesn't overheat. I was mostly using snap focus with the GR3 so I figured I didn't need all the bells and whistles. I have to admit though, the 16-megapixel samples I've been looking at seem kind of dated.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Everything I've seen from the Ricoh lines is that people are using extremely customized color profiles that make the images have that GR "look". Which is fine, most people have their process. It's just that the GR line (And Fuji XV) do it all in camera that only they have access to.

If I had money in my pocket right now, I'd have a GR3x on order.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 28, 2022

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I had the gr2, it was great. Sold it and got the gr3. It's better, imo, for me in the way that I use it.

Battery life is bad, but a couple small batteries in the bag or pocket solves that. I was apprehensive about the lack of flash, but I bought an external flash that is more powerful.

The better sensor is what sold it to me, the extra MP is what I needed (I crop a lot).

Been interested in the gr3x, but the fov is what I shoot at with my mf cam, so it makes no sense to copy that in a p&s.

If I had the spare cash I'd own gr3 and gr3x and bring both cams with me. Which sounds pretty stupid now that I type it. I should just get an xpro and get a couple lenses.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I've been resisting blowing $800 (grey market) on a GR3 street edition. Part of my cope is convincing myself that the GR IV will probably come out next year. Or I tell myself that I'll be more focused on pure photography with the GR1. That the old sensor has more character.

It's mostly a financial issue though. The only other pocket camera I want as much is the X70, but the going rate at $600 seems ridiculous for a 6-year-old camera. It retailed for $700. The flip screen is awesome though.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m daily torn between a GR3, the XF10, or one of the Lumix p&s as a camera to keep in my work backpack

I brought along my G95 last work trip and it basically never left my hotel room

e: god the last panasonic compacts came out in 2019 is the market dead? where’s the refresh!

wolfs fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Smartphone cameras are just so good I'm kind of confused about what these really expensive point & shoots bring to the table, though the GR3 promotional shots look really nice.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Phone cameras are great, especially because they're always with you, but they still can't replace the speed, customizability, control, and quality of the gr3 (the only one I can speak to).

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I think certain P&S cameras also appeal to people who want to feel like they're living a sort of photography lifestyle. It might just be the Ricoh GR and Fuji X100 cameras.

It sounds superficial but a camera's aesthetic alone can motivate people into taking more photos.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m actually kind of mad people have started recognizing my X100 because they used to assume I’m some sort of film hipster and it’s a toy and they’d ignore me.

I like my GR III but I don’t love it, specifically the lack of EVF [even external would have worked for me] and the exposure lever that I wish was a dial. It may show up in the buy/sell thread soon if I don’t start using it more.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Get a coolpix a, it looks like a cheap point and shoot but its actually extremely good

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

Smartphone cameras are just so good I'm kind of confused about what these really expensive point & shoots bring to the table, though the GR3 promotional shots look really nice.

I just don’t get how people like the post processing on smrtphone cameras now. Often way too sharp and contrasty, I actually preferred my iphone 6s photos to the 13 pro I got.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think smartphones are perfect for dumping straight to facebook when im doing a hike or visiting a city for friends and family. The colors might be a notch higher than I prefer, but it's good for social media. That's why I take my Canon with me as well. But when I know I'm going to be doing longer hikes, rather than a mixed hike/photo expedition I generally just take my phone, and then I'm always wishing I had something like the GR in my coat pocket.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
By some insane stroke of luck I found an X70 and the 1st party 28mm OVF for $230.

Time to make a cliche youtube video: Ricoh GR vs Fujifilm X70 in 2022?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I kind of want to try out an anamorphic lens on my xh-1. I kind of don't want to pay a thousand bucks for one though.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

tuyop posted:

the ergonomics are asssssssssss

In my hands I swear I can't find a comfortable way to hold any smartphone when taking a photo without feeling like I'm either contorting my fingers or doing the really dorky two hand pinch grip

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Now this is a difficult comparison. I just got a 2013 GR in the mail. It's fascinating how similar yet different these cameras are despite having the same goal as a fixed point-and-shoot. The biggest surprise is how much more comfortable the GR is. I haven't held one in a few years. The X70 feels about as good with the leather case on but becomes a whole lot chunkier.

I kind of see why Fuji tried to reinvent their pocket cam with the XF10 now. The x70 design has its own DNA but it misses a lot of what the GR does right. (The flip screen is amazing though.)

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

ishikabibble posted:

In my hands I swear I can't find a comfortable way to hold any smartphone when taking a photo without feeling like I'm either contorting my fingers or doing the really dorky two hand pinch grip

Use the volume button for your shutter?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ishikabibble posted:

?

Ymmv on if that’s comfortable or not

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I am a longtime Canon shooter (40D, 50D, 7D, 7DII) but I am interested in making a switch over to Fuji. Let's say I can afford a Fuji X100V or a Fuji XT-5 (or a Fuji X-H2?). My interest is in photographing moody landscapes in the PNW and having it around for daily photography with friends or family. A 23mm lens on a crop sensor is totally suitable for what I am interested in capturing. I am not interested in capturing video. I rarely print photos, but occasionally do at sizes up to 11x14.

some important stuff for me:

• decent low-light performance that gets me the shot in a dim fall cloudy day in dense forest (I am not a pixel peeper)
  • being able to withstand some light environmental exposure (light or medium rain, probably not downpours)
  • fairly easy to carry

To me, it doesn't really seem like the X100V is really "pocketable" anyway, and the XT-5 is just slightly larger. I'd gain IBIS, a better rear screen, a better viewfinder, and a better sensor for ~$600 more than the X100V. I don't care about shooting with telephotos or at ultra fast shutter speeds (no wildlife or sports) with this camera.

Anyone have strong feelings about this situation? And is there any evidence that an X100V successor is just a few months away?

1024x768 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 15, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love my X100V but I bought it specifically to prevent myself from buying lenses. An XT 5 or used XT 4 is a better value, IMO. I’ve been using X100 cameras for three years and being stuck at 35mm equivalent isn’t the worst but for nature photography I’d definitely want more flexibility. For example it’s pretty much impossible to get a good picture of an animal unless it’s basically touching distance.

I think you can’t really get a X100V right now anyway, it’s become the trendy camera of the moment and eBay prices are above retail.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

X-T5 (or 4 used if you’re on a budget) plus the 23 mm f/2 will get you there. They’re seriously capable cameras.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I have been very happy with my X-S10 as I was also debating the X100V - about half the time I take it out with the XC35mm f2 and it feels super lightweight and tiny, the rest of the time I take a zoom (either the xf18-55 or the xf55-200) and its been great having that versatility. I don't especially feel the need for more lens at all, I occasionally wonder about getting a wider prime but it hardly feels necessary. An acquaintance has a X100V and with my 35mm on mine seems BARELY larger, but they are both so small compared to DSLRs I don't think the difference matters much. If i had the 27mm pancake lens on (which may even be the sweet spot for most general purpose shots, anyway) I think the difference would be negligible. I'm sure the XT4/5 would be similar.

I feel like I didn't need a ton of lens for it but just having one good prime plus a zoom or two makes me feel like I can do nearly anything really well, the quality of all three lenses blows me away compared with the older stuff i was used to. I'm sure the X100V is great but at least for me it seems to be a no brainer to have the extra versatility of swappable lenses. I totally get how simple it makes things having just one focal length but you can get that just by having a single prime.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 15, 2022

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

This is the X100V alongside an XT-5 with a f/2.0 23 mm, and an XT-5 with the 10-24 mm zoom.

GOddamn :stare:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My XH2 is generally very nice, I like it and have gotten used to it's controls. The 70-300 has been not good on it so far, I'm hoping a firmware update gets it back to where it was after the firmware update on the XH1 got it working.

On the other hand, my autofocus stopped working in a weird way yesterday. On aperture priority, shutter priority, or manual, it just wouldn't focus. the focus would seem to hunt for a second, then stop, and you'd get the !AF warning. On any of the custom settings, it was fine.

After changing every AF setting and nothing worked, I reset to factory settings, and all was well. Took 5 minutes to put it back into the settings I use day to day (back button focus, etc...) and it's fine now. An odd problem I'll pass on to Fuji.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

If you embrace the limitations of the X100V it's a fantastic camera and I love shooing with mine. I also am super glad that I bought it before it became super trendy and nearly doubled in price.

I've had it out in light rain, dusty and sandy conditions, snow, etc. and never had an issue. I did add a UV filter (or pro mist/CPL depending on situation) for the extra weather sealing offered. What I enjoy most about the camera is that it forces me to work with what I have and not worry about swapping lenses or zooming in/out and trying to compose a shot based on lens availability. The film simulations are also tons of fun and I've also used them in a similar fashion to just work with what I can do with the camera alone. It's super easy to carry and while not pocketable unless we're talking a big winter coat, it's small enough that I can toss it into almost any bag I'd carry with me while out and about without issue. I've also taken a few trips where it was the only camera I used by choice and while there were a couple shots I wished I had longer reach (hunter prone on the hillside with a pronghorn skylined in the distance below, for example) I made the best of it with the X100V. I don't I would willingly replace my R7 (and potentially R6mkII soon) and assortment of lenses from 18mm to 600mm with just the X100V but I could probably make it work for a while.

Examples of a bunch of documentary style photos of outdoorsy stuff, landscapes, street, etc.

With the f2.0 lens it does pretty well in lower light. It does hunt for focus pretty frequently for me in low light but using a small single focus point helps mitigate that well enough.

When it's real dark sometimes you just have to get creative with your shot.

Tried some astrophotography with it with decent results.

Even the occasional wildlife shot if it presents itself.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those are some great photos man

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

24mm is maybe the best focal length???? You make a good case for it, great work

Thoren
May 28, 2008
While I love the X100 line, I found that the routine of carrying and taking one out to shoot was not that different from owning a small Fuji body. It's not like a GR, RX100, G7X, etc where you can carry it in your front pocket all day. A Fuji with a compact prime is already so small that the few inches in front of the camera and 100-200 more grams of weight aren't that noticeable. I do miss the OVF though.

Also I might have had a lemon but my X100V would get pretty warm right along the grip from the SD card and battery heating up. The silver aluminum top got uncomfortably hot while using it during summer in Thailand. My 100F never did that. I would get the F again if I could afford another X100.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I bought a 23mm f/2 prime lens for my X-T10 and I pretty much never take it off.... my 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit lens isn't too bad, but I agree - not having a zoom just makes me more creative and allows me to be less finicky with my equipment when I'm taking a shot.

I'd love to pick up a 23mm or 35mm f1.4, but they seem a lot heavier/bigger.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 16, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

24mm is maybe the best focal length???? You make a good case for it, great work

personally I can't deal with anything under 100mm

I respect anyone who can take a good photo with a short lens.. its tricky, a lot of poo poo perspectives and framings come out of short lenses

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Corb3t posted:

I bought a 23mm f/2 prime lens for my X-T10 and I pretty much never take it off.... my 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit lens isn't too bad, but I agree - not having a zoom just makes me more creative and allows me to be less finicky with my equipment when I'm taking a shot.

I'd love to pick up a 23mm or 35mm f1.4, but they seem a lot heavier/bigger.

Actually the 35mm f1.4 is light. A lot of people describe it as the most 'magical' or 'filmic' Fuji lens because of its older design.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

1024x768 posted:

I am a longtime Canon shooter (40D, 50D, 7D, 7DII) but I am interested in making a switch over to Fuji. Let's say I can afford a Fuji X100V or a Fuji XT-5 (or a Fuji X-H2?).

Funny seeing this here, I'm kind of in the same boat.

I currently have a 5DIV that I got back in 2016, that while I love the results it can get, I feel like I end up fighting the camera a lot in the last year or two. I'm mostly a wildlife/bird photographer with some street and portraiture stuff so my go-to lenses have been a 150-600 from Sigma and a Canon EF 50 1.2 I got cheap off eBay a while back.

I've just had a cursory glance so far and I think I'd want to go with an R6 or R6 II if I were to stick with Canon and keep my L lenses for use with an adapter, but I'm Fuji-curious as all my photography friends are using that system, and it'd be neat to be able to trade lenses when out and about.

My primary concern is quick and accurate AF to catch skittish birds before they move away, and excellent low light and noise performance for wildlife that comes out in the early morning and twilight hours. As long as performance can beat out my 5D IV in those regards I don't think I'm too fussed about APS-C or FF, but I do like the depth of field that my FF Canon produces compared to my older crop sensor Canon.

From what I've seen of DPR's studio comparisons the R6 and R6 II have excellent high ISO performance, but the prices are *insane*. I think the R6 II is twice the price of what I paid for my 5D IV when it launched. Fuji's X-T5/X-H2 and lens prices seem much more reasonable to me in comparison. The two lenses I'd 100% get are a 150-600 replacement (my Sigma seems to suffer in cold weather and hunts a lot) and a 50 prime.

Really, looking for input from people more experienced in the mirrorless side of things, as I've only ever used DSLR's. One more point in the Canon's favour is I have pretty big hands, so their bodies have always had an edge in comfort for me.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 20, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
R7 sounds perfect for you

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There’s a used X100F on sale for a decent price at my LCS and I’m very tempted.

Also have been having weirdness with my 70-300. Was having a persistent issue with the OIS system “wobbling” the frame horizontally when shooting on mode 1 (continuous stabilization), to the point where it was inducing more shake than just disabling OIS. Thinking I would try for a software fix before sending it in for repair, I updated the firmware on my X-T30 to see if it would help.

The weird thing is that it did. The OIS mode options in the menu expanded to four options from two: before, it was 1 (continuous) or 2 (shooting only); then, it became 1a (continuous), 1b (continuous + motion), 2a (shooting only), or 2b (shooting only + motion). There was no wobble with any of those options.

Then, those options just disappeared and I’m back to just the original two .

???

Guess it’s a physical problem with the lens.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
+motion is maybe added when you have a servo tracking mode enabled versus single shot/point mode maybe? (Not familiar with Fuji, but seems familiar with Canon modes)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

R7 sounds perfect for you

Looking at DPR's studio comparisons, unfortunately the R7 would be a noticeable step down in high ISO performance for me :(

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ijyt posted:

Looking at DPR's studio comparisons, unfortunately the R7 would be a noticeable step down in high ISO performance for me :(

If you're pixel peeping, you're doing it wrong.

Also, you likely wont ever notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdMfhZvI_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxbx-iwj8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Philthy posted:

If you're pixel peeping, you're doing it wrong.

Also, you likely wont ever notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsdMfhZvI_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxbx-iwj8U

Not sure I particularly care to listen to someone who calls crop "extra" reach, as if cropping full frame shots wasn't a thing.